Naturals + Heat = Retaining Length!

As a natural Presses or Flat ironing Has Helped Me

• Yes and i retained Length!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • No but i think its possible if done Correctly

Votes: 64 58.7%

• Total voters

pattycake0701

I don't know, but I think some heat can be good. Ever since I stopped blow drying regularly my hair has been more knotted than ever. And I didn't even blow dry straight or a real blow out or anything, but I think just that little bit of heat helped keep things in check. I'm going to return to using a small amount of heat regularly.
I agree, I'm gonna start doing this also. However, every time I get the blowdryer out and get to work, after the first piece, I be like f-it and clip it wet and go about my business. Too much work and I'm so lazy with my hair:nono:

jenteel

i find as my hair gets longer
i might blow dry more!
it is soooo much hair and tangles easier
it is no longer safe to cornrow/flat twist wet

no heat only works for me when i wear my hair curly
this way i co-wash often so the hair stays soft and moisturized

Sui Topi

i find as my hair gets longer
i might blow dry more!
it is soooo much hair and tangles easier
it is no longer safe to cornrow/flat twist wet

no heat only works for me when i wear my hair curly
this way i co-wash often so the hair stays soft and moisturized

You have such beautiful skin miss lady. I was checking out your fotki, and whoo hoo :grin:

youwillrise

i have used heat unsuccessfully

so, before i use it again...i'm going to get better quality heat tools

and find myself better methods and products

but i do believe that heat isnt ALL bad.

Ms Lala

Well I spelled the word wrong first of all :rolleyes: It's Porous Hair

Here's a definition I found on the net. My hair tends to be dry if I don't take good care of it.

porous hair:
This type of hair quickly absorbs whatever you put on it. Hair that is porous also soaks up the humidity in the air.
Porous hair is weakened hair. Excessively -porous hair releases moisture easily which causes it to become dry and easily damaged.

A good indication that you have porous hair is if it gets flat on extremely dry days and frizzy on humid ones.
Coarse, straightened, permed or permanently colored is regularly porous.
A good thing about porous hair is that it accepts color faster and permits darker color than hair that has less porosity.
What to do about this problem?

Use an acidic rinse during every shampoo this will help keep the cuticle strong and intact. The acidity minimizes the porousness of the hair shaft.
Use a rich conditioner and leave on as long as you can. Use products containing proteins and humectants. Also try silicon serums. Wear a hat during hot summer days.

I think this is what is wrong w/my hair!!!

Country gal

I was going to start a post about this one. I have been natural since 2004 and did not use heat or straighten my hair until 2007. I don't know if its because I am not use or have proper knowledge of taken care of my natural, but being natural my hair did not grow too much, although when I did straighten it, my hair seemed to be a lot thicker and healthier than its ever been, especially with a perm.

I just think my hair like alittle heat and I think the curl pattern in my hair breaks off at a certain point not all the way up the root shaft, but at the first bend.

Now I switch up from wearing it both curly and straight. The key is moisture and heat protectant!

My hair likes little heat. I have been applying more heat this year. I am not seeing the results I want. I have gone back to wash and gos for the summer. I will probably get it professionally done during the winter months.

Mimi22

BUMP!!!

How often do you naturals trim?? I thought I had to trim every 6-8 weeks, but I got my hair straightened and my ends were thin and so see-through!! I have to cut half an inch off :nono:

Am I meant to trim more? I only straighten every 3 months or more. I wear wash n go's and dont even notice thin ends until my hair is straightened:sad: Becuz of this, I'm losing length and I really want to make it to APL this year!

CurlyMoo

I am natural, I do not use heat with the exception of my bonnet blow dryer for deep conditioning once a week. I have not flat ironed since Feb 2007. I am getting more and more temped to flat iron to see how long my hair has gotten but I don't want to damage it. I am also struggling to keep from trimming. :perplexed

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

BUMP!!!

How often do you naturals trim?? I thought I had to trim every 6-8 weeks, but I got my hair straightened and my ends were thin and so see-through!! I have to cut half an inch off :nono:

Am I meant to trim more? I only straighten every 3 months or more. I wear wash n go's and dont even notice thin ends until my hair is straightened:sad: Becuz of this, I'm losing length and I really want to make it to APL this year!

6-8 week trims is too much for someone looking to retain length. Because the hair grows 1/2 inch per month, and there are 4 weeks in a month. If you are trimming that often then you are cutting your growth off. My advice would be to reduce the amount of heat you use because this could contribute to dry, thin, brittle ends that break off therefore keeping you from retaining length. You could try dusting, which is clipping just the ends of hair, just enough to get the spit end. Less than a centimeter. You could just try trimming 1/2 inch once or twice a year.

michaela

Natural 4b
I know One Day I would Like To Too use Heat i dont know when But one Day LoL! Have any of You Naturals Try rollersetting than Getting Under a Dryer than Flat ironing the roots and for a Very Straight look Flat iron the Rest of Your Hair on Low Heat Setting?
I Really Dont want to mess with that hand Held Blow Dryer with the Attached Comb Anymore:nono:
Its Because i really was UnExpected this but i got INVITED TO PROM:grin::grin:

IM SO Happy and I really want To look Pretty but yet again im still Debating on if want to go or not:perplexed

Oh well Advice Would Be Great Though and What Exactly is a Pibbs?

Last edited:

africa

I know One Day I would Like To Too use Heat i dont know when But one Day LoL! Have any of You Naturals Try rollersetting than Getting Under a Dryer than Flat ironing the roots and for a Very Straight look Flat iron the Rest of Your Hair on Low Heat Setting?
I Really Dont want to mess with that hand Held Blow Dryer with the Attached Comb Anymore:nono:
Its Because i really was UnExpected this but i got INVITED TO PROM:grin::grin:

IM SO Happy and I really want To look Pretty but yet again im still Debating on if want to go or not:perplexed

Oh well Advice Would Be Great Though and What Exactly is a Pibbs?

Sorry I don't have very concrete advice since I'm not natural, but congratulations on being invited to prom :). I don't know why but I started smiling when I saw that line.

If you do end up with a comb attachment, perhaps deep conditioning and using a serum (like Paul Mitchell, Chi-silk, or Sabino) will help minimize damage.

michaela

Natural 4b
Sorry I don't have very concrete advice since I'm not natural, but congratulations on being invited to prom :). I don't know why but I started smiling when I saw that line.

If you do end up with a comb attachment, perhaps deep conditioning and using a serum (like Paul Mitchell, Chi-silk, or Sabino) will help minimize damage.

Thanks!
I Will Try the SaBino!
I have a sample but i lost it...Oh well!

Irresistible

BUMP!!!

the wash and go's may be too much on your ends, do you do anything to treat your ends at night?

NewYorkgyrl

the wash and go's may be too much on your ends, do you do anything to treat your ends at night?

You made a very true point especially in my case. I had to come to the realization that I CAN NOT achieve my hair goals with wash and go....doing it actually hinders my growth and ruins my ends if I do it for more than 2 or 3 days straight.

michaela

Natural 4b
I have Another Question Ladies!
The Other Day i Bought Some Chi Infra Treatment
It says its a Thermal Protective Treatment.
I have a Great Flat iron i tested it out!
When School Starts I want To Flat iron Wash And DeepConditon Once A week. has Anyone Ever Try Motions heat Protector?
Water is listed as the First Ingredient.Im Just now Realizing that When i Did Get my hair Pressed I didnt Have to manipulate it at all For 3 Weeks and that Helped me Retain the Length i have.

jennboo

All the women ive known in my life who pressed/heat styled their hair religiously had long, thick, healthy-looking hair. All of 'em.

As a person who pressed religiously for about 3 years, my hair thrived and i never had a problem with breakage or see-through ends. HOWEVER, the constant pressing jacked my texture up big time. When my hair was wet i had straight sections along the length while the roots were, of course, nappy/kinky. I could not do two strand twists because they looked thin and stringy. All of the real damage was disguised bc i wore my hair straight 90 % of the time. So while folks would gush over the length, silky texture, and body of my hair, little did they know that it'd look a hot mess if i wore it in its natural state, lol.

I'm not sure how occasional heat styling would be, but i got my hair washed, deep conditioned, pressed, and curled every 2 weeks for about 3 years....that's a lot of heat.

Songbirdb

Because I'm newly natural, I don't know why wash n gos are bad for ends...is it because of manipulation? I would think this style would be healthiest for natural hair. Please explain the damage issue :ohwell:

Miss AJ

Before I went back to relaxing I flat ironed my natural hair all through the winter and my hair still grew just fine and I retained length still. As long as you know what you are doing and what your hair can handle, heat shouldn't be a problem.

cmw45

Because I'm newly natural, I don't know why wash n gos are bad for ends...is it because of manipulation? I would think this style would be healthiest for natural hair. Please explain the damage issue :ohwell:

Wash n gos are hard on your hair because your ends are constantly exposed. Constantly exposed ends can lead to overdrying. You also usually have to do more detangeling than you might have to do otherwise.

Lucia

BUMP!!!

Maybe you could try some buns, or other PS most of the time and do wash an go's less if you don't want to wear PS all the time, but hat would help. If you wear you're hair out daily you must tie it up @ night either scarf or bonet.

Miss AJ

Wash n gos are hard on your hair because your ends are constantly exposed. Constantly exposed ends can lead to overdrying. You also usually have to do more detangeling than you might have to do otherwise.

Not really. Co-washing enhances the moisture level and idk about others but I moisturize and seal after every co-wash. As far as detangling goes, I only detangle when I'm re-washing, and if I have to go somewhere before I can wash it again, i spray my hair with a mix of water/conditioner/coconut oil before I pick my hair and detangling is a breeze.