As a natural Presses or Flat ironing Has Helped Me

• Yes and i retained Length!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • No but i think its possible if done Correctly

Votes: 64 58.7%

• Total voters

michaela

Natural 4b
Are there any Naturals Out there Pressing or Flat ironing Your hair and still Retaining Length if so What is Your Regimen? How Often Do you Get it done and How Has is Benefited you?I Know Most Moisturizers are water based so what are you using as a moisturizer so your hair want revert?
ALSO if You Totally disagree Please explain why!

Last edited:

PinkSkates

I press my hair twice a month and I retain length.
My hair regimen is in my fotki album. The password is in my profile.

NuMe2004

Of course!!! I've flat ironed my hair as often as once a week and my hair has and is still growing. Heat isn't bad if done right (i.e. sparingly and with a good heat protectant/moisturizer).

clever

Yes!I shampoo/DC apply palmers hair silk at the roots and straightening lotion throughout the length and rollerset or do a curlformer set.Last month I pressed three times.I think the key is a great thermal protector.

anon123

I don't know, but I think some heat can be good. Ever since I stopped blow drying regularly my hair has been more knotted than ever. And I didn't even blow dry straight or a real blow out or anything, but I think just that little bit of heat helped keep things in check. I'm going to return to using a small amount of heat regularly.

Ericka

I also use heat once a week. I blow dry on medium heat then flat iron on medium high. You can check out my fotki album, the link is in my siggy. No password needed.

blkbeauty

I was going to start a post about this one. I have been natural since 2004 and did not use heat or straighten my hair until 2007. I don't know if its because I am not use or have proper knowledge of taken care of my natural, but being natural my hair did not grow too much, although when I did straighten it, my hair seemed to be a lot thicker and healthier than its ever been, especially with a perm.

I just think my hair like alittle heat and I think the curl pattern in my hair breaks off at a certain point not all the way up the root shaft, but at the first bend.

Now I switch up from wearing it both curly and straight. The key is moisture and heat protectant!

SVT

I've been flatironing my hair weekly for almost a month. No problems so far.

I dab some watered-down Aubrey GPB and coconut oil on the flatironed ends as an occasional moisture/strengthening treatment then rollerset on silk rollers.

Lucky's Mom

I would love to try. I am afraid of heat - mostly because I have not gotten "relaxer results" just yet. I am almost there!

** off to Study Pinkskates method!**:yawn:

InnerSoul

This is good to know that we can be natural and still use heat without adverse effects on the hair. I am TWA right now so I don't want to use any heat until my hair gets some length. Atleast I know that other naturals are successful at this!

AtlantaJJ

I don't know, but I think some heat can be good. Ever since I stopped blow drying regularly my hair has been more knotted than ever. And I didn't even blow dry straight or a real blow out or anything, but I think just that little bit of heat helped keep things in check. I'm going to return to using a small amount of heat regularly.
I have porse hair and heat helps seal my cuticles. I knew my hair always did better with heat but I didn't understand why until I started reading on this board. Makes perfect sense to me now. :yep:

Riverwalk

With the warm summer weather that is coming up this summer, how are you naturals that use heat wearing your hair this summer?

Southernbella.

I don't know if this counts, but I transitioned for a year by flat ironing twice a month. I retained length and had no heat damage. :yep:

stargazer613

I'm a natural that uses heat on average twice a month, and I am able to retain length. I agree with the other ladies, using really good heat protectants is the key, as well as deep conditioning.

honesty

I noticed after each time i straightened my hair, parts of my hair would stay straight and not revert back.Which was frustrating and made some natural styles, which i wear 99% of the time, look different. In fact the first time i went natural stylist thought those sections still has relaxer in them. So i am cautious with heat. The front and top loosens and straightens alot with direct heat, the back seems to not be affected at all. But i must admit i have not used a heat protectant and maybe not the right products to begin with. Any suggestions on a good heat protectant and setting lotion for a 4b ( i do need some type of setting lotion, right?) or any other products i should use to get a better result?

ThickHair

You should add an option of no and I don't think it is good for the hair. I can't participate in your poll. :( I haven't used heat in over 10 years.

The Savvy Sistah

For the ladies who use heat weekly or bi weekly, what do you do to keep your hair from reverting?

And what is the best heat protectant to use?

aja1121

I still use a water-based moisturizer and my hair doesn't revert, you have to use it in moderation.

luckiestdestiny

Are there any Naturals Out there Pressing or Flat ironing Your hair and still Retaining Length if so What is Your Regimen? How Often Do you Get it done and How Has is Benefited you?I Know Most Moisturizers are water based so what are you using as a moisturizer so your hair want revert?
ALSO if You Totally disagree Please explain why!
Look up the sabino thread, it'll help with reverting. It also helps to protect the hair. I like it. Maybe it'll work for you. I retain length and it's growing longer too. I'm on my way to mid back, now I'm just below brastrap. I've had it super short before. I don't think you should do it all the time, but you can do it once a week and still keep your hair healthy. I find for myself there's only two things to do when my hair gets this long: braid it up, or wear it straight because it tangles. I am 4a with some 3c. I think all the tangling causes more manipulation and then you have problems...you know?

michaela

Natural 4b
Look up the sabino thread, it'll help with reverting. It also helps to protect the hair. I like it. Maybe it'll work for you. I retain length and it's growing longer too. I'm on my way to mid back, now I'm just below brastrap. I've had it super short before. I don't think you should do it all the time, but you can do it once a week and still keep your hair healthy. I find for myself there's only two things to do when my hair gets this long: braid it up, or wear it straight because it tangles. I am 4a with some 3c. I think all the tangling causes more manipulation and then you have problems...you know?

I will Be looking up Sabino Thread!Im a little past bsl/mid back i have the problem of little knots!i would always get my hair pressed 3 times a week and my hair was always healthy! i think my hair likes heat im 4a also i cant totally relate with you on the tangles! I havent used heat for a month but im going to start again! thanks for the advice!

tthreat08

Well, I now use heat as well. I blow dry with heat protectant and leave in with tension on cool medium setting (in sections). Then flat iron small sections at a time. I have not seen any damage thus far.

AtlantaJJ

What Exactly is porse hair?
Well I spelled the word wrong first of all :rolleyes: It's Porous Hair

Here's a definition I found on the net. My hair tends to be dry if I don't take good care of it.

porous hair:
This type of hair quickly absorbs whatever you put on it. Hair that is porous also soaks up the humidity in the air.
Porous hair is weakened hair. Excessively -porous hair releases moisture easily which causes it to become dry and easily damaged.

A good indication that you have porous hair is if it gets flat on extremely dry days and frizzy on humid ones.
Coarse, straightened, permed or permanently colored is regularly porous.
A good thing about porous hair is that it accepts color faster and permits darker color than hair that has less porosity.
What to do about this problem?

Use an acidic rinse during every shampoo this will help keep the cuticle strong and intact. The acidity minimizes the porousness of the hair shaft.
Use a rich conditioner and leave on as long as you can. Use products containing proteins and humectants. Also try silicon serums. Wear a hat during hot summer days.

Last edited:

michaela

Natural 4b
Well I spelled the word wrong first of all :rolleyes: It's Porous Hair

Here's a definition I found on the net. My hair tends to be dry if I don't take good care of it.

porous hair:
This type of hair quickly absorbs whatever you put on it. Hair that is porous also soaks up the humidity in the air.
Porous hair is weakened hair. Excessively -porous hair releases moisture easily which causes it to become dry and easily damaged.

A good indication that you have porous hair is if it gets flat on extremely dry days and frizzy on humid ones.
Coarse, straightened, permed or permanently colored is regularly porous.
A good thing about porous hair is that it accepts color faster and permits darker color than hair that has less porosity.
What to do about this problem?

Use an acidic rinse during every shampoo this will help keep the cuticle strong and intact. The acidity minimizes the porousness of the hair shaft.
Use a rich conditioner and leave on as long as you can. Use products containing proteins and humectants. Also try silicon serums. Wear a hat during hot summer days.

i think i have porus hair.....My hair Soaks up anything i put on it but now its getting better the rich conditoner helps alot!

Guapa1

Interesting... Can you share the regimen while you were blowdrying please?