Relaxing and edges...

Dove56

To all of you ladies with relaxed healthy hair especially from SL to WSL how do you maintain length and minimize breakage around your edges or "baby hair". I haven't yet gone for my touch-up (now relaxed since October for the first time in 9 years) but I'm scared to death of broken edges. I swear if I see any broken edges, I will transition and go back to wearing my hair naturally curly. :wallbash: Thanks in advance for any advice. :yep:

Te'TahHead

Just wondering why you want only SL-WL to answer your question. IMO, healthy hair can be all types and lengths. I think this will deter some of your responses. Not trying to be critical...

Anywho, I once had a problem with my edges. I literally blowfried them out.:ohwell: What I did was apply tons of vaseline to them and applied the relaxer 30 seconds before rinsing. Now, I just don't relax them at all and they are thriving.

HTH. Oh, and I am APL

blueabyss333

Just wondering why you want only SL-WL to answer your question. IMO, healthy hair can be all types and lengths. I think this will deter some of your responses. Not trying to be critical...

Anywho, I once had a problem with my edges. I literally blowfried them out.:ohwell: What I did was apply tons of vaseline to them and applied the relaxer 30 seconds before rinsing. Now, I just don't relax them at all and they are thriving.

HTH. Oh, and I am APL
I don't think she meant any harm by it. That's probably just her goal. Anyway...bumping. I realized my front edges keep breaking off right at the decramation line...they're just so fragile.:wallbash:

ChocalateDiva

With the proper amount of moisture and protien, your edges should not break. Also, be careful with tight bunning. Some ladies put a lil Salerm21 on their edges every few days for strength.

HTH

Dove56

I don't think she meant any harm by it. That's probably just her goal. Anyway...bumping. I realized my front edges keep breaking off right at the decramation line...they're just so fragile.:wallbash:

I'll clarify because I really do need some responses :yep:. When I wore my hair shorter like really short I could blend my edges better if they broke that's was sooo long ago 10+ years. For the ladies that have relaxed their hair for a while and have been successful in keeping there edges long, along with the rest of the length, I just want to know if there's something I need to do before I get a re-touch. Now that my hair is longer, I can't blend broken edges with my hair. That's all I mean. :grin:

Dove56

HTH. Oh, and I am APL

Thanks for your response, maybe I can convince my stylist to just leave the edges alone. I'm really enjoying my relaxer and the thought of deal with a head full of curly hair makes me want to cry..lol, I just don't want those broken edges they used to make my hair look so tacky back in the day!

Dove56

With the proper amount of moisture and protien, your edges should not break. Also, be careful with tight bunning. Some ladies put a lil Salerm21 on their edges every few days for strength.

HTH

I plan on purchasing so Dominican products this week from sickbay.com. If I decide to let the lady relax my edges I may just have her leave it on for about a minute.:yep:

myco

The hairline is very fragile and easily processed, so I always relax that section last and only for 2-3 minutes. When it comes to the nape, make sure that you rinse that section thoroughly to remove all relaxer residue and massage well with the neutralizing shampoo.

When you style your hair, make sure that you are not applying too much tension with your ponytails/buns. Tension on your hairline can undo all the effort you expended during touch-ups.

MrsHouston

When I fully relaxed my hair I would do the edges (all over) last. So they would essentially only relax for about 5 minutes. Now that I'm doing the texturizer, I decided to leave them alone for awhile (b/c I'm going through the last phase of my post-partum shedding).

It's really the middle of my head that grows in "too" thick and needs something:blush:

MonaLisa

When I fully relaxed my hair I would do the edges (all over) last. So they would essentially only relax for about 5 minutes. Now that I'm doing the texturizer, I decided to leave them alone for awhile (b/c I'm going through the last phase of my post-partum shedding).

It's really the middle of my head that grows in "too" thick and needs something:blush:

OT: Beauttttttttttiful baby MrsHouston!!! Good lawd! :yep: