Ughh Natural and Thinking About Relaxing My Edges

brownsuga_91

Ladies i need help! Have any naturals ever considered or have relaxed their edges only? Edge control is damn lie, that ish can never get my edges laid. I love stretched styles and cannot deal with these short fuzzy edges :nono:. I was thinking of possibly using a kiddie relaxer on them to soften the blow. I take good care of my edges- they are the coarsest setion of my hair, i spray them with shea moisture yucca and babob mist and apply JBCO every other night for moisture purposes so they're not broken off and dry. Wonder if i could relax them without causing harm? Should I do it? :perplexed

Last edited:

Angelbean

Have you tried using an edge control then using a wax stick on top to help keep humidity away? Like bedhead wax stick is good and is not water based...or garnier brilliant shine wax is good too and inexpensive..

koolkittychick

I have seen horror stories by ladies who have relaxed their edges, and believe me, it will only make the problem worse. If your hair is that short, you will literally have to rub the relaxer into your scalp to get the smoothing effect you need to actually change the texture of your edges--and you will have to do it every two weeks instead of four. I know a lady who did this, and her edges went bald after less than a year. :nono:

I would go on YouTube and see if you can find a method of edge control that will work for your hair--I have seen literally dozens of different methods out there, so there is bound to be one that will work for you. I myself just embrace the fuzz, and make it part of my style, but I know that's not for everyone. :ohwell:

Good Luck!

Sholapie

The only thing that lays down my edges for more than 10 seconds is ecostyler applied to dry hair, any moisture makes my edges curl up, edge controls are too waxy. tbh the only long term edge control for me is a nice thinish headband to push it back, goody make a nice one
it looks tighter than it is, it's actually very comfortable, I don't even have to brush it back :)

brownsuga_91

Have you tried using an edge control then using a wax stick on top to help keep humidity away? Like bedhead wax stick is good and is not water based...or garnier brilliant shine wax is good too and inexpensive..

Thx, I've never tried a wax stick, ill check it out

Sorry the aveda links are not working

brownsuga_91

My hairline is naturally a weird shape, it dips down a little at my temples where it is really short and fuzzy. I think i take good care of my edges but this section of hair does not grow very long.Its always been like that since i was a kid. I've tried ors edge control, hicks, murrays, eco styler gel, gorilla snot, nothing really works : /

Last edited:

BonBon

Wonder if Naomi said this 20 years ago :lol:

What is in these mists? If there's glycerin in then your hair will be hard to lay lol. Maybe need to try different products.

lux10023

dont do it>>>

the first time i went natural i did it---and it looked funny the edges were str8 then poof...like a big hump due to my natural hair behind my edges being poofy

also your edges grow quickly...so trust me you will be relaxing alot trying to keep up with the growth of your edges...

just leave them be and slick them down...lol

brownsuga_91

Wonder if Naomi said this 20 years ago :lol:

What is in these mists? If there's glycerin in then your hair will be hard to lay lol. Maybe need to try different products.

I dont use it to lay down my edges, i use to moisturize my edges along with castor oil. Its mainly water based. Edge control- ors, hicks, murrays-does not work for me

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I never met an edge that some hicks couldn't tame...have you tried it??

Eta: just saw you've tried hicks.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

My edges suffered slicking them back. I moisturize and seal them and let them be.

If you must have laid edges, use a good old fashioned pressing comb. Not too hot, just warm.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

brownsuga_91

Tried the curls passion fruit control paste yet? Its a nice option.

Yes thanks, ive heard good things about this but I havent seen it in my local bss, and its so damn expensive to order online

Why must your edges be tame. Might be time to readjust your thinking

Because i like the look of tamed edges versus untamed......... :ohwell: My prerogative.

My edges suffered slicking them back. I moisturize and seal them and let them be.

If you must have laid edges, use a good old fashioned pressing comb. Not too hot, just warm.

Thanks, but I'd rather stay away from heat to maintain their health, even its not on the max setting. I havent used heat in a long time, like to stay that way lol pressing combs and irons can be addictive

HanaKuroi

brownsuga_91 said:
Yes thanks, ive heard good things about this but I havent seen it in my local bss, and its so damn expensive to order online

Because i like the look of tamed edges versus untamed......... :ohwell: My prerogative.

Thanks, but I'd rather stay away from heat to maintain their health, even its not on the max setting. I havent used heat in a long time, like to stay that way lol pressing combs and irons can be addictive

I don't know about max settings. I am talking old school. I am talking about a warm pressing comb. One that you can touch.

You know you don't have many options here. Relax (no no), or embrace your curls. Too much manipulating will thin out your edges.

You have received some great advice upthread.
I hope you find something that works.

ChristmasCarol

When I was relaxed, many times I only had the edges done - like a horseshoe around my head. It never caused any issues. It was applied and immediately rinsed (not even left on for 5 minutes) The beautician smoothed it while rinsing out, but that's all. My edges were long, so I don't know if it would work with short hair. My BFF used to do the same thing and she had no issues.

But yes, it can be done!

ManeStreet

I relaxed my edges last year I think... It did nothing. It might have made them a little smoother but there really was no difference. I added a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the relaxer. I left it on for less than 5 mins cause I was nervous the whole time & didn't want them to get too straight. It was a total waste of time.

Obviously if there are people who have full healthy heads of relaxed hair it's possible to only relax your edges...

But it really wasn't worth the time & effort. The effect was negligible.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

I never met an edge that some hicks couldn't tame...have you tried it??

Eta: just saw you've tried hicks.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Then u need to meet mine:lol: not saying I've tried Hicks but I'm convinced it'll be just like the others. LOL I just may try it though.