Cannot get my edges and nape to grow!!!

MRJ1972

Hey Ladies!!!!

I am having the hardest time with my edges and nape. The edges are thin and the nape area is broken. I stopped relaxing in March of 08, but that still has not helped. I am wearing a sew in and I leave these areas out to prevent breakage, but the hair WILL NOT GROW!!!

I've used coconut oil, shea butter, leave in conditioner, etc on these areas, yet they remain dry and broken.

Any suggestions????

jouissance

Hm...If you are wearing a scarf or satin cap at night, that might be doing the damage. Irritatingly, until I stopped wrapping my hair at night, my edges and nape never filled in and caught up with the rest of my hair. I wouldn't recommend leaving your hair uncovered, especially with a weave, but maybe a satin pillowcase rather than a scarf if you want to concentrate on your edges and nape.

LovingLady

Hey Ladies!!!!

I am having the hardest time with my edges and nape. The edges are thin and the nape area is broken. I stopped relaxing in March of 08, but that still has not helped. I am wearing a sew in and I leave these areas out to prevent breakage, but the hair WILL NOT GROW!!!

I've used coconut oil, shea butter, leave in conditioner, etc on these areas, yet they remain dry and broken.

Any suggestions????

You just answered your own question as to why you see no growth. If your hair is dry it is going to break. Breakage occurs because your hair is not moisturized. Find something that is extra moisturizing for your hair in that area. Also consider the way that you are handling or manipulating your edges and nape and compared to the other areas of your head.

If your hair is thinning Castor oil is known to help thicken the density of an individual's hair. I think it is worth trying.

Nya33

Hey

Want to see improvement hide them away. You are leaving out two areas of your hair which are most vulnerable to damage. Are you leaving them out for styling purposes aswell?

All the products you are using are good but how are you using them?

Are you deep conditioning your hair?

Also too much manipulation, combing etc could be stressing these areas.

Hey Ladies!!!!

Any suggestions????

dcprdiva

Cinnamon oil, Jaimaican Black Castor Oil mixed with Coconut oil. Patience. And stop relaxing your edges.

MRJ1972

Thanks for your responses...I wanted to respond to each post, but my connection for this site is waaay too slow! LOL

I sleep on a satin pillowcase- but I must tie my hair down ( silk scarf). If I dont, it just doesnt "act" right.

I have not relaxed my hair since March of 2008.

I wash/deep condition my hair weekly...On wash day, I do flat iron the edges and nape so that it will blend with my weave...

My edges and nape have always been damaged- even when wearing relaxers, so it may be hereditary. IDK-

I will say that I am not consistent with daily moisturizing. My hairline gets wet daily while showering, but the water should not DRY my hair out, right?

LaidBak

Do you maintain a good protein/moisture balance? If your hair's porosity is not in check then yes, daily wetting will do more harm then good. If you are serious about growing these areas then you need to be serious about taking care of them. Protein, moisture, ceramides, growth aides, porosity, your overall health--all of these issues must be addressed.

gadgetdiva

I am using the JBCO & EVCO to help thicken my edges & nape, its been slow going but it is working so I just may try what dcprdiva mentioned by adding a few drops of cinnamon oil to it to aid in blood circulation to those areas

Guitarhero

Steam it. Use a microwaved hot towel then apply plastic cap over your hair conditioner. Seal with butter, oils or vaseline.

lovelexi

Thanks for your responses...I wanted to respond to each post, but my connection for this site is waaay too slow! LOL

I sleep on a satin pillowcase- but I must tie my hair down ( silk scarf). If I dont, it just doesnt "act" right.

I wash/deep condition my hair weekly...On wash day, I do flat iron the edges and nape so that it will blend with my weave...

My edges and nape have always been damaged- even when wearing relaxers, so it may be hereditary. IDK-

I will say that I am not consistent with daily moisturizing. My hairline gets wet daily while showering, but the water should not DRY my hair out, right?
Hard water is no joke! I came back to college with the same reggie that has been working for me all along. But I started noticing that my skin is dryer and my hair was breaking more...like way more. I did some research and realized that hard water was the culprit. For my skin I use shea butter now and as for my hair I'm looking for a more intensive DC as well as using distilled water when rollersetting my hair. You should check to see if you have hard water in your area.

prettybyrd

I filled in my edges using JBCO. I know you've listed the topical aides you've already tried, but I would really encourage you to try it. I only used it on my edges, not the nape, but I don't know why that wouldn't work. My supervisor is now using JBCO on her crown after seeing my results, and her crown is filling in nicely too!

Good luck!

prettybyrd

I order it from the (Sunny Isle) JBCO website. I am actually on my way to pick up my latest shipment from the Post Office at my lunch break.

I didn't bargain shop, so I don't know if this site has the best price or anything, but my purchases always get to me quickly and without any problems.

lizzyb168

If not JBCO get a good quality castor oil at ur local health related store. I use a good quality normal castor oil and the results are the same as JBCO.

nymane

I would say the nape and edges are usually the most fragile areas and if they're already damaged using heat every wash day will only make your problem WORSE. I'd definitely baby those areas for a little while by weekly DC'ing, air drying, moisturizing & sealing Daily, and using protein as needed.

Minty

weave is not the greatest thing when trying to overcome perimeter breakage. There is nothing wrong with using heat on a weekly basis so long as your hair is NOT very damaged and you do not exceed your hair's heat capacity. (This is different for each person)

The advice your received from Volver_Alma and LizzyB is excellent; however, using steam with weave is not the easiest to accomplish. You must ensure that your hair underneath (if using cornrows) is throughly dried to prevent the hair from souring.

The suggestions for using JBCO and little manipulation are your best bests. This includes using scarves at night. Anything tight or pulling will make it easier for the hair to break.

take care.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

Yes, water is drying. I know that sounds stupid, but it is. You have to be more consistent with moisturizing and sealing your edges. I used to have the same problem with my nape and edges and it has gotten a lot longer since I started moisturizing and sealing that area twice a day (or whenever I think about it).

Be very gentle with that area and HHJ!

MissLeo

Doo Gro and Biotin. When my edges were thin Doo Gro brought them back and I have seen this work for many people. Biotin is also a key internal factor. There has even been research done on its effectiveness. If you use just these two products alone, you can't loose.

imaccami

This sounds like the problem to me. Air drying is hard to do without drying your hair out. If it gets wet every morning and you don't put anything on it afterwards, it's going to get extremely dry.

After it gets wet how do you get it straight again to blend in with your weave? Brushing it roughly, not detangling or using gel are ways that breakage could happen after it gets wet daily.

Try lowering the temp on your flat iron when you do the weekly flat iron, and wearing a scarf at night. Some people have success using a silk pillowcase, but I'm not one of them, maybe you're not either.

I'm not a fan of weaves. IMO, a lot of people lose their hairline and thin out their hair. Maybe look around for someone who has used weaves and has a healthy hairline and get tips from them.

DaDragonPrincess

My edges been breaking lately too do to stress :perplexed, but thanks to JBCO and mega tek everything is starting to come around
:yep:

SelfStyled

Any chance you could try another style other than weaves? Sometimes leave out can suffer with weaves. If you really insist on weaves maybe try some spanish wavy or something that does not require heat on the leave out. I totally agree with. JBCO- JBCO has turned my edges around

yodie

I have the very same issue. All of the wonderful suggestions mentioned here just haven't worked for me. My nape and edges suffer and have so for 20 yrs. It may/may not be something that you're doing indirectly. I went to see my Derm about this problem today. He wouldn't even give me cortisone shots because he said they won't help because I don't have alopecia. Hairobics makes a product that helped grow my nape. More importantly, it was how I cared for my nape that made the difference. I started twisting my nape hair in order to train it. My hair is so short there that I can barely catch it. I twist hat I can and use product to strengthen the scalp and hair. Keep it moisturized and try what the other ladies have suggested. If you can, spritz with something moisturizing and keepyour nape twisted for at least a month. This helped me a lot, until I stopped twisting it and stopped using product.

I feel your pain, but there is hope.

Shinka

WRONG, water can dry your hair it. As someone who uses heat often, relaxes and has grown my edges back in after thinning due to braids...

i would suggest you keep it simple. Wash the hair, DC, use a setting lotion or hepatrotector before your blow dry or flat iron ( i would air dry, then cover with a light moisturizer before the heat appliance).

Daily ( day and night) after your shower, moisturize with scurl lightly and put a small amount of oil or an oil moisturizer on top.

at night cover with the satin scarf, rotate where you place the knot.

Qtee

This may be the culprit..ur hair is already damaged and the more u flat iron it..u r just damaging it more...

MRJ1972

Thanks ladies for all of your advice/suggestions...

I have decided to focus more on these areas by steaming, keeping them moisturized and sealing. Just wanted to say again that I have alwaaays had problems with my nape and edges- with a relaxer, without a relaxer, with heat, without heat..with alternating moisturizing and protein DC's... It may be genetics...IDK, but I am willing to focus on these areas exclusively to see what happens!

For those that asked, my weaves are not tight but I cannot go without it at this time...I am fully natural now, but the world is not ready for my big reveal! LOL

BoaterGirlKim

MN 4% cream (miconazole nitrate - active ingredient in many yeast infection medications) filled my edges back in -- FAST (in like, 2 weeks).

Solitude

Thanks ladies for all of your advice/suggestions...

I have decided to focus more on these areas by steaming, keeping them moisturized and sealing. Just wanted to say again that I have alwaaays had problems with my nape and edges- with a relaxer, without a relaxer, with heat, without heat..with alternating moisturizing and protein DC's... It may be genetics...IDK, but I am willing to focus on these areas exclusively to see what happens!

For those that asked, my weaves are not tight but I cannot go without it at this time...I am fully natural now, but the world is not ready for my big reveal! LOL

I'm going to say let the weaves go. I like braidouts, bantu knots, and buns because they allow you to drench your hair in moisture daily and stay away from heat without wrecking your style.

I have a friend whose nape won't grow, but she refuses to stop getting sew-ins. Constantly manipulating your edges to get them to blend with the weave is likely part of the problem. Flat-ironing your edges is part of the problem, too. Try moisturizing at night before your tie your hair down. Someone else suggested wavy weaves, which is a good idea, too. That way you can moisturize your edges, then braid or twist them at night to get them to blend with the weave without using heat.

Internal factors can also play a part. Fruits, veggies, water, and daily exercise are great for your hair.

simone103

OP, you may want to eliminate shampoo from your regimen as well and co-wash instead, or only use shampoo to clarify your hair once a month.

ellehair

Mybe you should try wearing a wig for about a year. No stress on the areas at all, no heat needed and moisturize 2x daily. I havent had any hair in my nape area for at least 6 years and it was the dryest area of my hair and would break immediately after it tried to grow back.. after wiggin it for a little over a year, my nape is now almost 4 inches long.