Weave and Edges

XXXtacy

Any advice,

I am apart of the Sew In Weave challenge. My edges look really bad. They were broken off before from the braids now they look so chewed up. I am looking for another weavologist(dont know if that's a real word) here in Atlanta. I found one lady who told me that she would braid my edges into my hair and then sew in my weave.

My concern is that braiding my edges may put more stress on them. I am using a home made mixture of MSM and emu oil twice a day on my edges. But have only been so for less than a week. I know its going to take a minute for my edges to grow back. I don't want to do anything that will hurt my edges more.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

sunshyne_krissy

I am currenly in the same boat you are as far as trying to nurse my edges back to health. So far this is what is working for me:

NO SEW-INS. PERIOD. they have litterally created small patches of missing hair around my hair line frome the tight braiding and pulling on my scalp

My braid regimen (extensions) put in quite loosely:
Using my special leave in conditioner braid spray consisiting of
Infusium 23 leave in spray: It has hydrogenated Castor Oil
African Royale Braid Spray
Powdered MSM

This concoction has litterally caused my hair to grow twice as fast and my edges are filling in strongly and thicker.
IF you want to know the full recipe just pm me...;)

HTH

ElegantExotic

I know a great girl that does extensions in Atlanta, who was trained by a celebrity stylist. She is really good and gives really cute and natural looking extensions and styles. If you want her info, pm me.

CurliDiva

Hi XXXtacy and Sunshyne,

Do your edges show with your weaved style?

My egdes used to be damaged when I tried too hard to blend my edges with my weave (by straighten, gel, even color :ohwell: )

Now, my sew-in weaves does not expose my edges, (a quick photo shows how my hair falls to cover my front hairline) so I just apply leave- in twice daily and left it alone.

This has help me to grow out my front edges that were always shorter than the rest of my hair.

I just make sure that my base cornrows are evenly distributed and kept conditioned by my mix of Surge 14 and Scurl, which I applied with a plastic tip applicator to get directly to my roots.

Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• Spring Hair 06010.jpg
    Spring Hair 06010.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 49

glamazon386

Yeah, my edges are short too on one side. I just leave that part out and when I comb the weave down it covers it. If they braid it in, it'll eventually slip out anyway. You'd be better off just leaving it out.

mika vs sasha

Don't let them touch your edges, leave them out of the sewn in. I know that this might sound crazy, but my mom wore weaves for years and she has no edges. She had to used mascara to blend with the fake hair. You don't want to become that desperate.

cicilypayne

The ladies are right . Where a weave style that don't show your edges like layered bangs to your face, or curly hair with a high middle part. Your so beautifull I'm sure you could make it work.

XXXtacy

CurliDiva said:
Hi XXXtacy and Sunshyne,

Do your edges show with your weaved style?

My egdes used to be damaged when I tried too hard to blend my edges with my weave (by straighten, gel, even color :ohwell: )

Now, my sew-in weaves does not expose my edges, (a quick photo shows how my hair falls to cover my front hairline) so I just apply leave- in twice daily and left it alone.

This has help me to grow out my front edges that were always shorter than the rest of my hair.

I just make sure that my base cornrows are evenly distributed and kept conditioned by my mix of Surge 14 and Scurl, which I applied with a plastic tip applicator to get directly to my roots.

Hope this helps! :)

:kisses: Thank you so much!!

I am trying not to lose my patience and forget about my progress. My edges are exposed. I try to cover it with a loose headband.

XXXtacy

cicilypayne said:
The ladies are right . Where a weave style that don't show your edges like layered bangs to your face, or curly hair with a high middle part. Your so beautifull I'm sure you could make it work.

:kiss:

Thank you so much for the compliment.

Ms. Bermuda has put me in contact with a stylist. I will tell her that I would like the layered bangs. That's a great idea.

XXXtacy

mika vs sasha said:
Don't let them touch your edges, leave them out of the sewn in. I know that this might sound crazy, but my mom wore weaves for years and she has no edges. She had to used mascara to blend with the fake hair. You don't want to become that desperate.

You have spoken my fear that my edges would disappear. It is time to redo my weave and I wanted help in deciding what to do.

XXXtacy

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yeah, my edges are short too on one side. I just leave that part out and when I comb the weave down it covers it. If they braid it in, it'll eventually slip out anyway. You'd be better off just leaving it out.

ITA. Thanks.

I agree that I think the edges will slip out. I think it happen before. I hope the new stylist will be able to style my hair with the edges out.

XXXtacy

aileenadq said:
I would stay away from anything that put stress on my edges. Including weaves.

Lord Knows I want to stay away from weaves. but I think I am addicted. :lol:

Seriously, my hair is natural and I take a lot of dance classes. When I had it in twist. I would have a straight up Afro!! I couldn't keep any style for more than a day. The weave has come in handy. I wanted to keep this for a year until I can find a hair style that will accomadate my dancing.

XXXtacy

sunshyne_krissy said:
I am currenly in the same boat you are as far as trying to nurse my edges back to health. So far this is what is working for me:

NO SEW-INS. PERIOD. they have litterally created small patches of missing hair around my hair line frome the tight braiding and pulling on my scalp

My braid regimen (extensions) put in quite loosely:
Using my special leave in conditioner braid spray consisiting of
Infusium 23 leave in spray: It has hydrogenated Castor Oil
African Royale Braid Spray
Powdered MSM

This concoction has litterally caused my hair to grow twice as fast and my edges are filling in strongly and thicker.
IF you want to know the full recipe just pm me...;)

HTH

Look for my pm.....;)