Relaxer Roll Call!

trinidarkie1

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?
- ORS Olive Oil Relaxer (regular) Only used it once, next use in one week.

2. What is your hair type?
4a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?
This is really nice, I used it because I started using the ORs replenishing pak for a weekly treatment. I used to use Motions, but I think It was too strong or something.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?
This will be the second time.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?
My hair is straight and soft. It feel so pretty

6. How often do you relax
I relax every 3 months (12 weeks)

morehairplease

Divine Inspiration said:
Can we just update on the brand of relaxer that everyone is using and whether it's working or not? Lately I've noticed some ladies talking about making changes i.e. switching relaxer brands, going from no-lye to lye or vice versa, trying Phyto etc etc. So...

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?

6. How often do you relax?

I'm guessing some of the newbies and even the old heads will be able to gain some insight from this thread...I know I will. :look: Feel free to add any additional info about your relaxer or other brands you're considering.

:yep: Divine thanks a billion for starting this thread!:clap: :kiss:

princesslocks

Used Vitale Life and Body w/ Aloe Vera for last relaxer 3/9/06
Used Phyto Index II 12/08/05

4a/b

I'm going back to Mizani.

FIrst time used.

My hair is straight.
I relax every (12 weeks)

JazzyFLPeach

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? PhytoSpecific Index II

2. What is your hair type? 4 a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I'm ecstatic with it! It's wonderful. I can't imagine using anything else right now

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Almost a year and a half

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? I'm somewhere between bone straight and relaxed curl pattern

6. How often do you relax? 12 weeks normally (20-24 weeks if in braids or sew-in weave)

ElegantExotic

Revlon Realistic Mild Lye

Hmmm, somwhere between a 3 and 4, I have curls with a loose S-pattern

I am very happy. I have no breaking, dryness, shedding, or damage. I love, love, love it, but I will try the Elucence relaxer, as I am very curious about it and love their other products.

I have been using it for the past 5 years.

When I air dry I can see the curl pattern slightly, but it straightens out extremely easy with a blowdryer or flat iron.

I don't have a set time frame, whenever I need it really.

princesmich

I'm back to motions, I love how it leaves my hair, I stretch for 9 weeks, I want to try 12 weeks this time. I use no-lye, I had a stylist use lye on me, I wasn't impressed.

peacelove

I have to update. I am not going back to Vital. The life & body made my hair revert after about a week. I left it in a good amount of time too. It is odd because I have fine hair. I really want to try Phyto II but I cannot afford it. Maybe I will try ORS.

jasmin

peacelove said:
I have to update. I am not going back to Vital. The life & body made my hair revert after about a week. I left it in a good amount of time too. It is odd because I have fine hair. I really want to try Phyto II but I cannot afford it. Maybe I will try ORS.

Yep...I have a big tub of Vitale. It's nice initially but doesn't last at all.
I finally settled on Silk Elements lye Regular.

JazzyDez

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Mizani Reg

2. What is your hair type? 4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 5 mo.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? almost bone str8 (like it this way)

6. How often do you relax? 8 to 10

PinkAngel

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? ORS Olive Oil~ Normal

2. What is your hair type? 4a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Used a couple of years back, re-discovered 3/1/06 after tryin Vitale Mo' Body & Silk Elements which both left me underprocessed.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Depends on how much I smooth.

6. How often do you relax? 8-10 weeks

peacelove

jasmin said:

I've heard good things about the silk elements. How is it? I switched to Designer Touch. I'm pretty happy. Did not burn and left some of my curl pattern.

jasmin

peacelove said:
I've heard good things about the silk elements. How is it? I switched to Designer Touch. I'm pretty happy. Did not burn and left some of my curl pattern.

Tried the Designer Touch and I really like the way it made me feel but I wanted a straighter look. I really like Silk Elements...so far so good since I've only used it for 2 touch ups. It straighten the way I like and it lasted a long time.

Last edited:

dimpalz

started transitioning, but ill fill it in for the reviews

- Affirm sensitive scalp (no-lye) mild (the scale is mild-normal-resistant)

4b (i think)

Yeah it works good for me, I've never tried anything else

more than 5 and a half years

My hairs always relaxed bones straight, my hairs fine so even leaving it on for *literally* 2 minutes is enough.

For best results it was every 8-10 weeks ~1 inch growth. But during them poor times it was at most 3 months =(

BamaBelle

Affirm Dry & Sensitive Scalp Formula
4a/b
Yes, I am relatively happy with the Affirm but will consider switching (back) to Mizani
First textlaxed in December 2005
Texturized, very much like the S-Curl texturizer :)
First textlax: December 2005
Second textlax: March 2006
Third textlax: Corrective (second underprocessed) April 2006 (at 6 weeks post)

BklynHeart

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Affirm Regular

2. What is your hair type? 4B

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Recently no, only because its hard finding a stylist that knows how to leave it in long enough or follow the steps correctly. I plan on going back to Revlon Mild. Much straighter, yet no problems for the 10 years I've used it.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 2 years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? straight with some body.

6. How often do you relax? With Affirm, every 8 weeks.

*ElleB

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Regular

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes, Very.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 1 yr and a half??? I really don't know, lol.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Straight but with texture

6. How often do you relax? I stretch between 3-7 months

This relaxer is great! The hair is left soft, and bouncy.

beana

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Phyto index 2

2. What is your hair type? 4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes, but i'm considering switching to index 1 because i've always used mild relaxers.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? At least the past 4 relaxer applications

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Straight but with texture/ slight wave

6. How often do you relax? every 10-12 weeks

SocialWorker29

jasmin said:
I'd have to agree about Vitale no-lye. It didn't do a good job on my hair at all. I've really needed a corrective touch up but I'm afraid to do one myself and don't have a stylist I trust yet.

sweetcashew

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Elasta QP mild or regular
2. What is your hair type? mostly 3c

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? about 2 years.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? relaxed curl pattern
6. How often do you relax? 7 to 8 weeks

jasmin

SocialWorker29 said:
I'd have to agree about Vitale no-lye. It didn't do a good job on my hair at all. I've really needed a corrective touch up but I'm afraid to do one myself and don't have a stylist I trust yet.

I used the lye version.

LadyJay114

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? CON Regular Lye (in the yellow container)

2. What is your hair type? 3A/4B

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I'm happy with CON, but I may switch back to Hawaiian Silky. Or I may try Affirm or Revlon.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 4 years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? After a full perm, I'm bone straight. After a touchup, my hair has an S curl pattern.

6. How often do you relax? I'm trying for as long as possible. I used to perm every 3-4 weeks, but after finding this site I realized why my hair was so damaged and dull. My last full perm was 3/15/06 (for a wedding), last touchup was 4/21/06 (after the tips on this site, I changed my hair care and the new growth was overwhelming).

baglady215

jasmin said:
Tried the Designer Touch and I really like the way it made me feel but I wanted a straighter look. I really like Silk Elements...so far so good since I've only used it for 2 touch ups. It straighten the way I like and it lasted a long time.

This will be my next one... Silk Elements. Did you use lye or no-lye?

bebezazueta

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Silken Child No-lye and it's mild
2. What is your hair type? 3C/4A

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I am extremely happy with Silken Child. Only switch would be to No relaxers at all.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 1 year. I used Just for Me No-lye prior

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? I'm bone straight

6. How often do you relax? For 2010 I started this stretching thing and will have gotten 5 relaxers this year! (I used to be an every 6 weeks touchup queen). Next year, I'll be stretching more and getting 4 relaxers, and so forth and so on until I go to relaxer free eventually!

danysedai

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? I use Affirm in Mild strength

2. What is your hair type? Not sure, 4a(?)

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?I'm very happy,specially after I switched from Normal strength to Mild.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Almost 3 years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Bone straight

6. How often do you relax? every 8-9 weeks minimum, sometimes I stretch up to 4 months.

Chevelure618

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Design Essentials Lo-Lye

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I've only used Design Essentials twice. I like it very much but I was an Affirm Fibreguard Mild user for years and I may go back to it. I think its the best relaxer

6 months

texlaxed

6. How often do you relax? every 14 weeks

Divine Inspiration

Wow. I started this thread 5 years ago when I was relaxed and now I'm natural and have been for just over a year. It's probably time for an updated version for all the relaxed heads on the board now.

SimplyLeesh

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Silk Elements mild

2. What is your hair type? 4a or 4b?

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I just relaxed on Sunday with silk elements and I am in love! My hair is bouncy and moisturized with way less breakage than with no-lye box relaxers like I used before.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 2 days

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? straight

6. How often do you relax? 8 weeks, but I will stretch longer the next go round