Relaxer Roll Call!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?
Soft and Beautiful Regular No-Lye (sometimes super depending on the stretch!)

2. What is your hair type?
2C/3A

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?
Yes completely!

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?
since I was 10 ....im 20 now (10 years)

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?
tight coily curl pattern

6. How often do you relax?
Every 12 weeks or more if I can

Last edited:

CarLiTa

Motions lye, regular or mild... i tried no-lye relaxers for a while and my hair dried out, my scalp acted up, so i returned to lye

2. What is your hair type? 3b in the back and sides, 3c everywhere else, but the crown looks like 4a according to a thread i saw. I'm not really sure.

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I was UNhappy with no-lye, so i switched back to lye at my last relaxer

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? I used Motions for a couple of years before I started no-lye in 2005, which is something I regret

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? It's usually mostly bone straight, with a wee bit of a wavy look/feel like right now, but for the most part, just straight :confused:

6. How often do you relax? [/B] I now relax every 12-13 weeks, for the most part. Shortest time i've gone in between relaxers in the past year and a half was 9 weeks.

I thought about Affirm Lye but i dont know, i just decided to stick with Motions.

Lady_Lioness

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? My stylist uses Ashtae regular lye relaxer

2. What is your hair type? 3c/4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I am so pleased...would never switch

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? for 4 yrs

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Relaxed curl pattern - when just relaxed, my hair appears bone-straight but, once washed my hair has a slight wave/curl pattern

6. How often do you relax? Every 13 weeks

Mystic

Phyto 11 - regular

2. What is your hair type? 4A

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?
Very happy - won't switch anytime soon. I used to use Affirm regular but it always leave my hair lifeless - especially the day after the relaxer.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Since August 2005

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Not bone straight OR texturized. Straight but with more body.

6. How often do you relax? I usually relax every 3/4 months but I am trying for 6 months this time.

Last edited:

LovelyZ

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Motions Mild

2. What is your hair type? 4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? Exremely happy.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Six Years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Relaxed curl pattern

6. How often do you relax? every 6-8 wks for now

missvi

God is Good!!
Elasta QP Extra Body(Regular)

2. What is your hair type? 3a/3b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes!!!
I tried Affirm (mild) I didn't like it. :ohwell: My hair was hard, dry and underdone.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Once(But I like the way my hair came out).

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Not bone straight but not texturized neither. Straight but with more body.
Straight with body and parts with relaxed curl patterns.

6-9 week

amy1234

affirm lye normal (regular)
4a
yes I am happy with this one
a little over 6 months
5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?
texturized somewhat straight
every 8-10 weeks

hot_pepper96

ORS Olive Oil Relaxer--Regular

Not sure

Very happy with it!

Only used it once but I will continue to use it.

It was bone straight and so soft.

every 6-8 weeks.

I recently switched to the ORS Olive Oil Relaxer. It maded my hair bone straight w/no burns. It also washed out easily. The aloe Neutralizing shampoo is so gentle and it actually helps to detangle. I previously used SoftSheen Carson Optimum Care Relaxer (Pink box).

Last edited:

czyfaith77

I am using Vitale Fast Action Relaxer with Aloe Super/Coarse Texture Lye Relaxer

2. What is your hair type? 4a/b. (think Oprah's or Cece Winans' hair texture) . People on LHCF that I watch for inspiration and their specific hair texture are: Babygurl, Sylver2, JenniferMD, and Southerngirlz

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I am very happy with Vitale. I started using it because of Southerngirlz. She had recommended the regular strength. I had tried that at first but my hair is very thick and coarse and simply :lachen: at it so I used the one for coarse hair and am very happy. I use all of the products now for relaxing: the Foundation Pre-treatment, the relaxer, and the Positive conditioner (which smooths the cuticle layers and protects the cortex and normalizes porosity). I may try the neutralizer shampoo soon. Currently, I am using Dudley's Neutralizer shampoo which I really do like (I got it from one of our meeting here in NC (I think from Keen). It was a huge bottle!) Afterwards, I deep condition (sometimes I use Vitale Super Intensive Treatment which has a nice, cool, tingly menthol feeling and smell) and before choosing my style I use Aphogee Balancing Moisture (to me it's sort of like Nexxus Humetress but for my hair it is better.) Aside from Vitale, I also favor Aphogee products. All except the shampoo.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? I used it for my last two relaxers applications

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Well after the relaxer, the majority of my hair is straight. The last two to three inches looks textured though. I suspect it is either due to using no-lye relaxers for so long which has often underprocessed my hair. I flat iron them (ends) and they are fine. They are not damaged or split. No lye relaxers seemed to had really dried my hair out alot.
6. How often do you relax? It is best for me to go no longer than 10 weeks. I go longer in protective styles like sew-ins or braids. It is something about going past 10 week mark for me. If I am in a real strong growth cycle, I may relax at 8-9 weeks. I'd say I am getting about an inch maybe a tad bit more a month. Again, it depends on the cycle. In the near future, I may be stretching longer by applying Aphogee Balancing Moisture to the demarcation line (where the new growth meets the relaxed hair) of my hair to discourage breakage.

Last edited:

Southernbella.

I am using Vitale Life and Body Lye Relaxer

2. What is your hair type? 4a/b and very thick

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I am very happy with Vitale as a line. I am not entirely happy with the Life and Body, because I don't think it's strong enough for my hair, so I will be switching to a stronger one next time around. But I love the system and probably won't use anything else again.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? I've only used it once.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Most of my hair is bone straight because my old stylist did it that way. Now, the newest growth is more like texlaxed.

6. How often do you relax? Formerly every 5-6 weeks (I know), but I stretched it to 11 weeks last time (was transitioning). I will probably do 10-12 weeks from now on.

peacelove

VITALE LIFE & BODY (regular strength)

4A FINE W/ SOME 3C (I think!)

VERY HAPPY! NO BURNING, AND DID NOT OVERPROCESS. VITALE REGULAR WORKS MORE LIKE A MILD TO ME.

FIRST TIME 2 WEEKS AGO. I WILL BE STICKING WITH IT.

RELAXED WITH SLIGHT CURL PATTERN LEFT. JUST HOW I WANTED IT SINCE MY HAIR IS FINE.

THIS WAS ABOUT 12 WEEKS, BUT I CANNOT GO THAT LONG, I AM HAVING TOO MUCH BREAKAGE IN THE CROWN. SO I WILL PROBABLY STICK WITH 9 WEEKS.

carmella25

1.Motions Regular

2.4a

3.yes Im happy with it

3. 3 years

4. My hair comes out with a curl pattern/straight

5. I relax every 15 months

NewYorkgyrl

-Affirm mild (lye)

-4a?????(I still can't figure it out)

-I am still trying to decide how much I like it. I was very happy with my old relaxer Motions salon herbals (mild).

-Just tried it for the first time 2 weeks ago.

-When I used to get my hair relaxed at the Domicans salon with Motions they relaxed it bone straight. i tried a new stylist (Marcia) and I noticed that now I still have a slight curl pattern.

-I use to relax every 2 months but I just made a 4 month stretch and I think I will continue to relax every 4 months.

cocowhite

Vitale life and body w/ aloe vera

2. What is your hair type? dont't know, my family calls it mixed emotion hair becaue it doesn't know what it wants to be, straight, curly, or tightly curled

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? yes, so far
If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? only twice this year

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? straight

6. How often do you relax? every 12-14 weeks

Chromia

Mizani for Fine or Color Treated Hair (my hair is neither fine nor color treated)

4a/4b

I was happy until a few months ago when all of a sudden I started getting burned around my hairline. My hairdresser and I can't figure out why that started happening.

4 years.

Straight.

Too often - every 6 weeks. I tried stretching a few months ago and only made it to 8 weeks, but I'll try again.

plainj

Revlon Realistic regular lye

4b

yes

several years b4 switching to Affirm for 2 years, now back to Revlon Realistic

bone straight

10-12 weeks

lala

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? have used both mild/regular

2. What is your hair type? 4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Relaxed w/Affirm b/c that's the only relaxer the stylist used, but I prefer Design Essentials

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 3 wks.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? bone straight

6. How often do you relax? 12-13 wks.

KhandiB

Mizani - Coarse/Resistant

4a

Actually right now Im looking to switch , I think Im gonna go with Vitale or Elasta QP or back to Affirm

about a year

Bone Straight

8-12 weeks

championgurl

Divine Inspiration said:
Can we just update on the brand of relaxer that everyone is using and whether it's working or not? Lately I've noticed some ladies talking about making changes i.e. switching relaxer brands, going from no-lye to lye or vice versa, trying Phyto etc etc. So...

ANSWERS IN ORDER OF QUESTIONS POSED

1. REVLON REALISTIC mild

2. 3c

3. Yes, Very Happy, liked Aroci equally b/c it never made my hair bone straight, it was more like a texturizer.

4. About four Relaxers now, and I touch up maybe every 12 weeks.

5. Bone straight, and there is almost nothing I can do about it b/c of my hair texture, kiddie perm will get it bone staight too, if I'm not quick enough. Somehow with Arosci though, I never had this issue..... :ohwell:

6. About every 10-12 weeks. When I was using MTG I HAD to relax every 6weeks, pushing it to 8.

Last edited:

blueabyss333

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Mizani Course/Resistant

2. What is your hair type? 4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Very happy.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Four years off/on.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Bone straight when professionally done. Relaxed curl when I do it.

6. How often do you relax? 3-4 month stretch.

ryanshope

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?---Mizani Sensitive Scalp

2. What is your hair type?---4a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?---Yes, but I am switching to a lye..probably deep brillance or arosci

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?---a year or so.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?---relaxed curl pattern

6. How often do you relax?---12 weeks.

PinkAngel

DI,

I'm still trying to find a relaxer. Lye relaxers don't straighten my hair unless it's left on for 30mins or so, just burn the heck out of my scalp.

goldensensation

Profectiv Anti-Damage No-Lye (regular)

3c/4a

Yes. My hair is very strong and thick.

It will be two years in July/Aug of '06

My curl pattern is relaxed but some parts are so "relaxed" that they are straight.

Every 3 to 4 months.

Lorraine S

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Vitale Life and Body Lye Regular

2. What is your hair type? 4a/4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 1st time, previous Motions Lye

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? bone straight

6. How often do you relax? every 10-12 weeks

Lorraine

CinnaMocha

Affirm Mild

2. What is your hair type? 4a/4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?Yes

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?About 5 Years

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?Bone Straight

6. How often do you relax?Every 10 weeks (recently stretched to 12 for the first time)

kitkat3ny

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? PhotoSpecific II

2. What is your hair type? 3C-4A

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I love it.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? 6mths

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? After straightening, my hair looks a little more natural then straightened. I don't like bone straight hair. I like to keep my waves around.

6. How often do you relax? I try to hold out to every 10-12wks