Thinking of switching from a LYE to NO-LYE ORS Olive Oil relaxer...

Crystalicequeen123

Well....it's the age-old question:

To "LYE" or "NOT to LYE"....that is the question!

I'm thinking about switching from my Silk Elements mild lye relaxer to the NO-LYE ORS Olive Oil relaxer. SE has been okay for me, but I'm not sure if I really like it that much. :( My scalp is drying out, and I've noticed my temples thinning ever since using this relaxer. Now this may NOT be due to the relaxer, but these are just things I've noticed since using this relaxer. Even my stylist doesn't really like the SE mild relaxer for me.

I have been looking for a new relaxer for a while now, and I've read (and heard) a LOT of great things about the ORS Olive Oil Relaxer line. The MAIN thing that caught my eye is that it seems to be gentle, and NOT too harsh. I like my hair sort of straight, but with thickness and BODY. I have fine-textured hair to begin with that breaks down pretty easily, so I don't like the limpies. :nono:

The only problem is that it's a NO-LYE relaxer. I haven't had a NO-LYE relaxer in YEARS!! 5 years to be exact. I've always been afraid of the dryness that comes from no-lye relaxers, or the shedding, etc. Not only that, but I've gone a year now with a MILD relaxer in my hair...however ORS only makes a regular or extra-strength relaxer formula. But supposedly people have been having good results from ORS.

So tell me ladies....

Have you ever had problems switching from a LYE relaxer to a NO-LYE relaxer?

In general, which do you prefer? Lye, or No-Lye?

Which do you find maintains the thickness and body of your hair better? Lye, or No-Lye relaxers?

Have you tried the ORS Olive Oil NO-LYE relaxer? If so, what results did you have?

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but my touch-up is this Friday, and I want to make sure I'm making the right choice. :)

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

DivaD04

Have you ever had problems switching from a LYE relaxer to a NO-LYE relaxer? no
In general, which do you prefer? Lye, or No-Lye? i prefer no-lye...lye relaxers burned my scalp like something fierce

Which do you find maintains the thickness and body of your hair better? Lye, or No-Lye relaxers? lye relaxers b/c although it burns like he//, it seems as if it took a little longer to process resilting in less straightness

Have you tried the ORS Olive Oil NO-LYE relaxer? If so, what results did you have? yes, i currently use that. i love it. it didn't really burn me (b/c i took down my braids and wanted to look nice for my hubby's departure)...it felt a whole lot soothing than lye relaxers and all the other relaxers i've used. ORS seems to be a keeper for me. i've bought the poo, co, and the hair lotion which all make my hair feel light and airy. i'll give ORS Olive Oil NO-LYE 2 heads up!

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the input ladies! :D I need more responses before I can truly make a real decision by Friday, but I'm leaning towards the ORS Olive Oil relaxer. Even my stylist swears by it. And a friend of mine suggested (without me even mentioning it mind you!) just the other day when I told her I wanted to switch relaxers.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that some have said that NO-LYE relaxers break down quicker than LYE relaxers. REALLY?? :shocked: Oh please say it isn't so! :eek: My stylist works relaxers in pretty fast, but I definitely do NOT want bone-straight limp hair. :nono:

I have never done it... I would be a scared. Have you considered just changing your brand of Lye Relaxer?

Over 5 years I've tried many different Lye relaxers. Some have been great...some have been so-so, and some have been downright awful. :( I've tried everything from:
-Affirm
-Design Essentials (still one of my faves)
-Silk Elements
-Motions Salon Herbals (one of my LEAST favorites! :( )

I have even tried the different strength formulas (mild vs. regular) in many of the above professional lye relaxer lines.

I guess I'm just looking for something new that leaves my hair with body, yet doesn't make my newgrowth too nappy. I liked SE mild at first, but then it seemed to leave my hair too nappy at the roots. :ohwell:

In the past I've had an aversion to NO-Lye relaxers...thinking that only Professional Salon LYE relaxers were the best, but now I'm willing to change my outlook somewhat. I just don't want that new-found open-mindedness to lead me with a bald head ya know what I mean? :look: lol

McQuay30

Hello,

I use No-Lye ORS "for the past year" and if not No-Lye ORS than Design Essential, they both seem to keep my hair pretty thick afterwards and in a healthy state. Just my thoughts:yep:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

i used ORS no-lye pre-lhcf and I loved it...even with my lack of knowledge and ignorance to my hair, i am in awe and amazed about how conditioned, silky, soft, and bouncy the relaxer left my hair...i got my best styles & growth when i used the relaxer...

Crystalicequeen123

Hello,

I use No-Lye ORS "for the past year" and if not No-Lye ORS than Design Essential, they both seem to keep my hair pretty thick afterwards and in a healthy state. Just my thoughts:yep:

Thanks for that. :yep: So, this relaxer kept your hair pretty thick? What type of hair do you have? Coarse, thick hair, or soft fine-textured hair? I'm just wondering, because I'm afraid what may work on certain people's hair may not work on mine. My hair is quite fine, so I'm always a little bit more "paranoid" about different relaxers (especially if they are regular strength). :look:

i used ORS no-lye pre-lhcf and I loved it...even with my lack of knowledge and ignorance to my hair, i am in awe and amazed about how conditioned, silky, soft, and bouncy the relaxer left my hair...i got my best styles & growth when i used the relaxer...

THanks for your input! Yeah I've been hearing some really good feed back about the ORS Olive Oil No-lye relaxer brand, even though it's a "box relaxer". I don't think I've ever heard so much good feed-back about a "non-professional" brand relaxer.

I liked Design Essentials too :yep: but it was always sooo hard to find in the beauty supply shops! Not only that, but even my stylist would have to bum the relaxer off of other stylists in other salons! I'm really not sure why that relaxer brand seemed so hard to get! I see Mizani and Affirm in beauty supply shops ALLL the time.

What texture hair do YOU have? Thick/fine?

I'm looking for a relaxer (reasonably-priced, easy-to-find) that will keep the thickness and body of my hair, without it being TOO mild or drying to my hair. YKWIM??

KhandiB

I went from Lye to ORS No Lye Olive Oil and it was the best thing I ever did.
I love this relaxer, and would tell anyone to try it once and they will be hooked, LOL

loved

I'm thinking of making the big move and switching to no-lye relaxers, probably ORS since I like the rest of their line. I have been going through old photos since I joined Facebook and I had a completely different head of hair when I used no-ly relaxers. I was also showing my mom my hair the other day and she asked me what happened to my thickness. My hair used to be so big, heavy and thick. Now my hair grows, but there's always some point of breakage and it's long and thin.

My hair will probably be bushier when I exercise or when it gets wet, but I want my thickness & weight back. My hair was so much prettier then.

I am in this thread because I wanted to know if there's anything I need to do to transition.

4/24/09 - I tried the no-lye and will use it for the next 6 months to see how I like it. I'm trying to get my thickness and my strength back.

Last edited:

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
Have you ever had problems switching from a LYE relaxer to a NO-LYE relaxer?

Can't say, I switched from no-lye to lye.

In general, which do you prefer? Lye, or No-Lye?

Lye

Which do you find maintains the thickness and body of your hair better? Lye, or No-Lye relaxers?

Lye

Have you tried the ORS Olive Oil NO-LYE relaxer? If so, what results did you have?

Tried both the Lye & No-Lye ORS...Never going back to the No-Lye.

p381

I used this relaxer quite recently, for the first time (after wearing braids for a while).
But my hair kinda came out texlaxed, rather than bone straight.
I'm starting to like it though, cos my hair seems thicker than if it were bone straight.
Dunno if it's any help to you, but that was my experience.