what type of relaxer are you using?

girlcherokee

what type of relaxer are you using? updated 2009

this was done in 2005 by divine inspiration and i thought it would be nice to see an update of what ladies here are using to relax their hair and to see what is working and what is not working. the questions below were copied from divine inspirations 2005 thread.

What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?

2. What is your hair type?

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer?

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?

6. How often do you relax?

Last edited:

girlcherokee

i usually use regular no lye - last relaxer was mizani sensative scalp

2. What is your hair type? 4ab

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? not really - thinking of switching to lye - there is a part of my hair that was relaxed with lye is so much nicer and always looks good without effort - the no lye section just seems to never be redeemed - it's healthy i guess, but does not look good.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? just used it once - 6mths ago

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? still had a lot of texture after last relaxer - prefer bone straight though - should say i added oil to my last relaxer

6. How often do you relax? 2x per year - maybe 1x - not by choice - i really wish it were more though, not crazy about stretching for extra long times like this

jsjess

What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Precise, no lye, regular strength

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? I am happy with my current relaxer...it is wonderful... I have tried others, including lye relaxers, and they all irritate and tear my scalp up.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? About 10 years..(WOW, I can't believe it's been that long...when you find something good stick with it)

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? The texture depends on the length of time it's left in, usually it comes out straight...I don't care for my hair to be too straight, as to where it won't hold a curl for 2 weeks.
6. How often do you relax? Every 6 to 9 weeks...usually I can stretch longer in the winter months...but the heat and humidity in the South during the summers keeps my new growth thick.

Denise11

Brand- Cream of nature
Hair type? Who knows? I've been relaxed since I was a teen.
Are you happy with it? Yes
How long have you been using it? 6 years
After you relax, what texture is it? Bone straight, if it does what I want it to do.
How often do you relax? Every 4-5 weeks

ceebee3

I use Mizani regular strength with lye
My hair type is 4a/b
I'm happy with this, i've been using it for 10 yrs.
I've never been bone straight-my hair just does not get straight, nor do I want it to. I don't know what texturized is.
I ususally get a relaxer two or three times a year. I will probably be doing more often now that I am paying more attention to my hair.

What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Silk Elements Lye Regular before--it burned and underprocess, silk elements olive oil ss no lye----didn't burn but underprocess

2. What is your hair type? I think it's 4a/4b, but I might actually be 3c/4a--I usually just say 4a and call it a day!

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? No, I will be trying Design Essentials Lo-lye regular relaxer, and if that don't work I'm going back to Mizani butter blend Regular Lye relaxer.....

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Not long, like two months

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Straight with some texture(underprocess)

6. How often do you relax? The last time I was 2 months and the last time before that I was 4 months......I try to go 4 months max on stretching cuz I'm shedding like a cat.....

gissellr78

Re: what type of relaxer are you using? updated 2009

this was done in 2005 by divine inspiration and i thought it would be nice to see an update of what ladies here are using to relax their hair and to see what is working and what is not working. the questions below were copied from divine inspirations 2005 thread.

What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using?regulae

2. What is your hair type? i think is 4a

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?love it ORS no lye

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? over a year

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? i would say bone straight

3-4 months

Chameleonchick

Mizani BB Mild/Regular

4a/b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to?

I'm happy with it but I am switching from Mild to Regular for next relaxer.

Since Sep 08

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture?

Texturized/Texlaxed

Every 12 weeks

gymfreak336

Hawaiian silky no mix no lye in mild or the lye in mild

fine to normal strands, medium density, 4a
Very happy. If I switch, I would try the linage relaxer. The hawaiian silky is a great bargin, no more than 6 bucks a jar, it gives consistent results and keeps my hair healthy.
Almost a year
I get pretty straight with it. Not bone straight but not curly enough to be texlaxed by board standards.

8-10 weeks

IntoMyhair

What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Soft Sheen Carson Optimum Care Anti breackage Therapy. Regular used to be Mild.

2. What is your hair type? More 4a than 4b

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes on;ly because after looking at the box it has Ceramide r in the reconstructor.

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? Gosh 10+ years if not longer.

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? I have been underprocessed for so long. I used to be my type of bone straight. I think tpe 3's hair get straighter than type 4. I could be wrong.

It was ever 4 to 5 months. 3 times a year. I plan to relax more sooner and stretch lesser. Today will be my first relaer of the year.

peppers01

I was using the profectiv regular relaxer and Olive oil regular

4b

the current one is good, but I've been hearing good things about the silk elements, so I think I'm gonna try that one.

just once

bone straight

every 6 - 8 weeks

divinempress

1. What brand & strength (i.e. mild, super, regular) of relaxer are you using? Soft & Beautiful regular

2. What is your hair type? 3c I think

3. Are you happy with your current relaxer? If not, which brand are you considering switching to? Yes, I've always wanted to try Mizani though

4. How long have you been using your current relaxer? As long as I remember..I used to alternate between that and Oilve Oil relaxer

5. After your relaxer, are you bone straight, relaxed curl pattern, or texturized or some other texture? Never bone straight...the curls refuse to disappear :wallbash:

6. How often do you relax? every 6 weeks

newflowers

I use Phytospecific Index 2 - I think it's the equivalent of regular

fine 4b (if z were a type, that would be me)

I am very happy with my relaxer and have no intentions of switching. Phytospecific leaves my hair straight like I want it with body and shine and strength.

sevenish years - in the lean years, I've used others which was never a good thing for my hair. For the last three+ years, it's been only phyto.

Very close to bone straight

the last time was 14 weeks - ewww and never again, but I was on a personal challenge to see how long I could stretch. Generally, for hereafter 10ish weeks.