Relaxed Ladies: What Shampoo are You Using?

Angelicus

Clarify - Suave Clarifying Shampoo

Moisturizing-
Silk Dreams Whip My Hair
Silk Dreams Go Moist
Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo. I apologize for the error of listing Shampoo for Relaxed Hair. Thanks

Last edited:

camilla

The best shampoo out of all of these (and yes i tried them all listed above :look:) dont judge me:nono:
Is the Etasta qp cream conditioning shampoo its like the original cream of nature BUT thicker and better SULFATE FREE and 32 oz bottle is 8 bucks lasts four months:grin:

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/HQL4251007KX0221.htm

the relaxed hair one is no good it has sulfates and is very drying so steer clear

and if i am clarifying i use ors creamy aloe after a pre poo overnight or hot oil treatment with evoo less drying:grin:

Last edited:

Flor

Wen Fig and Joico Moisture Recovery. I've just bought Wen 613 and my hair doesn't like it at all.

IMFOCSD

I am texlaxed and just started using perfect results remoisturizing shampoo....love it...and perfect results is my staple line.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Creme of Nature Argan oil moisture & shine shampoo

+1 for CON as weekly moisturizing shampoo.
ORS creamy aloe or Kenra Carifying as clarifier.

Others I have tried that are decent:
Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo
Joico Kpak Shampoo

@SerenavanderWoodsen, Do you have a leave-in?

I just use Chi Silk Infusion before I rollerset.

I find that every leave in or holding product I use turns on me at some point and dries my hair out. My hair basically hates everything except a light coating of oil for braidouts. Anything else, silicone, silicone free doesn't matter, my hair will reject it in time even if I think I love it at first...

+1 for CON as weekly moisturizing shampoo.
ORS creamy aloe or Kenra Carifying as clarifier.

Others I have tried that are decent:
Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo
Joico Kpak Shampoo

I'm going to try the ORS creamy aloe soon as well as the CON...
I can't seem to find Kenra Clarifying anywhere, I used to love that stuff. I bought it once at a BSS and it had an ingredient that wasn't supposed to be in there and it dried my hair out so bad. I called Kenra and they didn't understand why that ingredient was in it. I believe it was isopropyl alcohol...

ThickRoot

Clarifying:

V05 Kiwi Clarifying Shampoo
(thinking of switching to the poo bar from Darcy's Botanicals)

Moisturizing:
Silk Dreams Whip My Hair (low poo - HG) $9, 8oz
Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse (no poo) $11.99, 16oz
KBB Ultimate Conditioning Shampoo (this is the latest in my arsenal. This is fire! Very sudsy but def moisturizing and non-stripping. I saw ladies on YT talk about it but I didn't believe. Afraid my hair would feel coated but it doesn't) $12, 7oz

Honey Bee

I just use Chi Silk Infusion before I rollerset.

I find that every leave in or holding product I use turns on me at some point and dries my hair out. My hair basically hates everything except a light coating of oil for braidouts. Anything else, silicone, silicone free doesn't matter, my hair will reject it in time even if I think I love it at first...
SerenavanderWoodsen, So, let me get this right, your natural hair hates leave-ins? Or did you try them on your relaxed hair and find them lacking? I ask because relaxed hair is gonna need 'more' than natural hair. If all your natural hair required was some manner of sealant (serum or oil), you are VERY lucky. :lol: Your relaxed hair has been stripped of layers and what-not, it needs some of those goodies back.

If you wanna try a cheapie, I'd go with Lacio Lacio for straight hair. If that's too heavy (it's a light cream), try a liquid (I have no req's on this). You might be pleasantly surprised.

Honey Bee
My natural hair hated product of any kind and I don't think my relaxed hair is much better. At first it will seem to like the product but hours later my hair will be soooo dry. Or one day it will work but later it will turn on me. It isn't a matter of what I can get away with, it's that my hair just gets AWFUL if it's coated with basically anything. It will get dry and dull and miserable. But then if I have no product it's a mess too :lol:. I'm telling you my hair is beyond IMPOSSIBLE. I just put some avocado oil in my hair this morning and my hair likes that but beyond oil, it seems my hair hates anything I put in it.
Years ago I used Salerm 21 leave in but it's very thick stuff and again I think it will coat my hair too much and give it that awful hay like texture and also ruin my set by giving me dull, coated hair..
Do you know if the Lacio Lacio is any thinner than Salerm 21?
Liquids can even cause issues with my hair, maybe I should try Aussie Hair Insurance again but I doubt it will work :lol:.
I think the key may be not parching my hair with a harsh shampoo at this point. When I cowash I don't get that awful hardness on wet hair...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm going to try the ORS creamy aloe soon as well as the CON...
I can't seem to find Kenra Clarifying anywhere, I used to love that stuff. I bought it once at a BSS and it had an ingredient that wasn't supposed to be in there and it dried my hair out so bad. I called Kenra and they didn't understand why that ingredient was in it. I believe it was isopropyl alcohol...

SerenavanderWoodsen,
ORS creamy aloe is great. It cleans but doesn't strip. CON is very moisturizing but I've read it leaves buildup on the hair. I do find that after using CON, my hair still feels silky. The CON is creamy so I assume either it's not removing buildup or it's removing it but yet depositing it right back. I use CON until I need to clarify. I like ORS better than Kenra for clarifying. ORS is a revisited item that I recently went back to after years of not using.

@SerenavanderWoodsen,
ORS creamy aloe is great. It cleans but doesn't strip. CON is very moisturizing but I've read it leaves buildup on the hair. I do find that after using CON, my hair still feels silky. The CON is creamy so I assume either it's not removing buildup or it's removing it but yet depositing it right back. I use CON until I need to clarify. I like ORS better than Kenra for clarifying. ORS is a revisited item that I recently went back to after years of not using.

I just picked some up today :D. I was scared because I saw ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfates in it and I normally avoid them but since this is for clarifying I'm still going to try it.

Oh the ORS Creamy Aloe smells soooooooooooo goooooodddddd. It just smells like clean. I used it to wash my Tangle Teezer. I cannot wait to wash my hair with this stuff. I keep smelling my hand now lol.

@SerenavanderWoodsen - I'm relaxed and I've been using Costco's Kirkland Signature shampoo for over a year; I still love it! I love it the way @camilla loves Elasta QP.

It's free of SLS, parabens, and gluten. It's thick, moisturizing, smells great, and costs $9-
$10 for a liter!

I Googled and found this review:
http://www.truthinaging.com/hair/sulfate-free-salon-quality-shampoo-from-costco

Interesting! My mom shops at Costo a lot, I'll have to ask her to get me a bottle.

So right now I have Neutrogena Cream Lather for light shampoos and the ORS Creamy Aloe which I haven't tried yet for more intense cleaning. I'm hoping the ORS doesn't make my hair angry like other shampoos have been doing since I relaxed.
I'd been using Head and Shoulders because I have issues with scalp buildup and itching but my relaxed hair said HECK NO to it lol.
I'm going to soak my scalp in conditioner prior to washing to loosen the oil instead of relying on shampoo to do all the work. That seems to help...

demlew

@SerenavanderWoodsen - I hope it works for you, but you can return it even if you don't have the receipt. My family started using it because of me. Sometimes I have to mail a few bottles to New Mexico lol.

Plus, I've had only one minor dermatitis flareup since I've been using this one. I changed nothing else in my regimen.

Last edited:
@SerenavanderWoodsen - I hope it works for you, but you can return it even if you don't have the receipt. My family started using it because of me. Sometimes I have to mail a few bottles to New Mexico lol.

My mom will be happy to get some and mail it to me :lol:, she likes to mail me heavy boxes, unsolicited :lol: . I love bargains so I hope it's good stuff lol. I don't think I have a Costco near me...

I have scalp issues as well so that sounds good.

Honey Bee

I've never used Salerm but I'm sure somebody could compare it for you, but if you've never used leave-in's regularly, let me remind you about diluting them. I bought a bottle of the old Taliah Waajid bodifying mist and it was super thick, so I just used it on my new growth. After months and months of nursing that bottle, I finally ran out of my other leave-in and was forced to use it on my whole head. That was an oil slick, lol, but it was a braid-out, so it worked temporarily. The next day, though, I diluted it 50:50 and it was the bomb! Of course, then they stopped making it. :ohwell::lol: Moral of the story: dilute (and also, buy extra).

Hmmm. Something just occurred to me. If your hair likes oils, maybe an oily leave-in (like the new version of the bodifying mist, I think it's labeled as 'medicated') would work for you, but super diluted, like 1/3 product, 1/3 water. Or, the old Ojon moisturizing leave-in (I bought the new formula but I'm not in love like I was with the old one).

If you think shampoo is doing you wrong, lol, co-wash. If your scalp still feels icky, try alternating shampoo'ing and cw'ing. I chelate every 2 wks (to prep for henna) and co-wash in-between.

My mom will be happy to get some and mail it to me :lol:, she likes to mail me heavy boxes, unsolicited :lol: . I love bargains so I hope it's good stuff lol. I don't think I have a Costco near me...

I have scalp issues as well so that sounds good.

Mine's the same and I love it! It's like a rolling Christmas, you never know when it might pop up. :lol:

KaramelDiva1978 said:
I am texlaxed and hands down Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo is a miracle worker. Keracare Humecto condish and 15 mins under the dryer also is a wonderful deep condish.

Tell me about it! I've tried every shampoo and conditioner on the market and the Keracare shampoo and humecto is the best hands down. I also use the intensive restorative masque with a conditioning cap, it leaves my hair so silky and bouncy.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Keracare 1st lather followed by Keracare Hydrating and Detangling when I need to rid of buildup from conditioners and leave-ins

Kenra Chelating & Clarifying about every two or three months

L'Anza Healing Moisture sulfate-free weekly

L'Oreal Ever Creme cleansing conditioner or some other conditioner for co-washes during the week.