Is Ammonium Lauryl and Laureth As Bad?

LDebagoria

As sodium lauryl and laureth sulfate? I believe I read somewhere here that it wasn't, but I'd like to be sure...I bought Suave's clarifying shampoo b/c it was a cheapo 'poo without the sodium L.S.

Oh and thank you ladies who suggested the VO5 conditioner to detangle my new growth! It worked very well!

Last edited:

Crysdon

Ammonium Laurel and Ammonium Laureth should be used in moderation. I wouldn't use a shampoo often that has it in the ingredients. Most clarifying shampoos have the ammoniums in it because it is used to "strip" buildup from your hair. If you used a shampoo with ammonium laurel sulfate regularly, your hair will dry out quickly and lead to breakage.

Sodium Laurel Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate are more gentle for African-American hair.

good2uuuu

The ammonium addaitiveas are the worst. SLES (Laureth) is the least harmful followed by SLS(Lauryl) then the Ammoniums.

LDebagoria

good2uuuu said:
The ammonium addaitiveas are the worst. SLES (Laureth) is the least harmful followed by SLS(Lauryl) then the Ammoniums.

Oh Crap! :eek:

And I picked this 'poo out because it had the ammonium instead of the SLES and SLS! It's a good thing I only used it ONCE! Thanx everyone!

balisi

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering the same thing lately and hadn't gotten around to finding out.

Mizani_Mrs

I found a thread on this topic and I was trying to find it again but i cant. well from reading the 'dont go looking for haiar care products without me book. I know that the :
--2 harshest shampoos which you NEED TO AVOID is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. They are very harsh, they are mostly found in clarifying shampoos. Or for shampoos for Oily hair.

--somewhat harsh shampoo that is not gentle enough to use often- Ammonium Laureth Sulfate. not that bad for caucasian hair,just not a good choice for black hair.

--Mild shampoo gentle enough for everyday- sodium Laureth sulfate. (THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO START USING)

--2 very gentle shampoos- TEA Lauryl Sulfate and TEA Laureth Sulfate. these are mostly found in baby shampoos. I think it was mentioned that they do not do a good job at cleaning adult hair, or something like that.

So i hope this helps. Also remember that you can always add water to your shampoo so that you arent pouring an excessive amount of these drying agents on to your hair.

Victorian

old head
Sodium MYRETH Sulfate is also very gentle, one of the gentlest. I'm not sure how it compares in general to the TEA's (as far as where it lies on the spectrum), but I've tried a shampoo that had TEA laureth and it was just okay, but my Elucence which has myreth is not stripping at all (very moisturizing shampoo). The only other shampoo I use is Jason Biotin shampoo which cleans a little more than the elucence, but is also very gentle and has sodium myreth sulfate. The myreths work for me :up:

candita

Since most clarifying shampoos I've seen (including the one I own :perplexed ) have SLS, what's a good one that doesn't have the sulfates, or has the not as harsh sulfates?

Mizani_Mrs

candita said:
Since most clarifying shampoos I've seen (including the one I own :perplexed ) have SLS, what's a good one that doesn't have the sulfates, or has the not as harsh sulfates?

You are right, almost all clarifying poos have sodium lauryl sulfate, which is extra drying because it is a very strong detergent to remove all of the oils, dirt and flakes. I have Nexxus clarifying poo...(i think it's called rid-something). It has sodium laureth sulfate which is the good for our hair. It doesnt dry my hair out at all, and it still gets rid of the buildup on my scalp. I highly recommend it.

Victorian

old head
I need a clarifying shampoo and plan on trying Elucence's Volume Clarifying Shampoo soon. According to the website it has sodium myreth sulfate as a surfactant. That's definitely milder than sls. I know some other people use this and seem to like it. Hopefully my beloved elucence won't let me down :)