Would Sodium Laureth Sulfate be Bad in a Neutralizing Shampoo?

LittleLuxe

I know Sodium Laureth Sulfate is a fairly hash detergent that can lead to drying out hair over time, I know it is a very harsh cleaner that while also cleansing the scalp can take out more than what it is desired.

I was lucky to find a sulfate-free shampoo which I use fairly regularly,and it is one step in my new routine which has slowly transformed my hair.

Recently I relaxed my hair and while casually standing in my bathroom realized my neutralizing shampoo contained sodium laureth sulfate. Now while I would immediately dismiss this item if it were a regular shampoo I couldn't help but wonder whether it would actually be beneficial in a neutralizing shampoo.

The whole point is to cleanse the scalp of the acidic relaxer and help return the ph to normal, so wouldn't a slightly more intense cleansing solution be more prized over this to ensure we really remove all traces of relaxer?

Lady S

I would imagine it would be better, especially since the lather seems like it would spread easier.

Are there any neutralizing shampoos out there that don't have sulfates? When I was relaxed, I couldn't find any. :perplexed

TamedTresses

I have never seen a SLS free neutralizing shampoo either. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has found one. I have SLS free shampoos, but I don't feel comfortable using them to rinse my relaxer out.

LittleLuxe

Thanks for the responses ladies.

I suppose that's something I'd have to research because I'm curious myself. The Organic, Botanical, SLS-free, Jesus-infused shampoos are great for my regular wash days but I'm not sure if they'd get the job done like a neutralizing shampoo should and we all know the effects of trace relaxer in hair are no joke.