RELAXED HEADS: How Many times Can you Co-Wash a week???

sunnieb

I cowash 2x weekly and dc 2x weekly (1 moisturizing and 1 mild protein). If I do cardio during the week, I'd cowash more, but my hair loves water/moisture so I think I could get away with it.

sunnieb

Nix08 - Yep, I shampoo/dc 2x a week (1 moisture, 1 mild protein), every week. I tried to cut back and my hair didn't like it. So yeah, I do alot to my hair, but it pays off for me in the end. :yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb that's cool because in the last week I've washed or co washed everyday but 1 and I'm liking it very much! Do you wash or co wash at night? And is your hair dry in the AM?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Don't know if I've answered in this Thread before or not?

But Summer I cowash Twice a week.

Fall/Winter Once a Week.

MariposaSexyGirl

When I am bored with my hair I will co-wash it everyday or every other day. Apply more conditioner and slather on some grape seed oil then bun it. I did it all last week. But I don't do it enough to where it's a solid part of my regimen. I just make sure if my hair feels mushy(which it rarely does) that I do a protein treatment.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb - how long does it take you per session. I would love to give my hair more attention in the manner that you do but I simply don't have the time. Give me the deets (details) please ma'am.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sunnieb - thanks, I've now bookmarked your fotki:grin: Right now I'm home so I can wash and if it isn't dry it's ok but I'm trying to figure out a plan for when I get back to work. I usually let is hang dry but it takes a good 4 hours to be completely dry this way unless I go outside (it isn't going to be warm forever here:ohwell:)

SqrpioQutie

i cowash at least 5 times a week, especially since i'm 'hiding" my hair.... when i don't, i feel really itchy.... plus, it really helps me to stretch my relaxers....

sunnieb

sunnieb - how long does it take you per session. I would love to give my hair more attention in the manner that you do but I simply don't have the time. Give me the deets (details) please ma'am.

divachyk - I can usually set my hair for airdrying in about 10 minutes if not less. Then I just go about my business doing house stuff while it dries.

I made taking care of my hair a priority, so I work it in my routine as needed. I usually have meetings on Monday and Tuesday nights, so I usually cowash on those days since it takes less time.

I don't really care about having the latest hairstyle. It's nothing for me to comb my damp/wet hair straight down, put on a hat and head out (I do put on lipgloss and earrings). Airdrying is airdrying no matter where I am.

It's just like exercising is a priority, so I fit it in my schedule (even if that means dragging myself out of bed at the crack of dawn). You have to make yourself and your needs important. I'm better able to take care of my family because I take care of myself first.

Hope that helps! :)

Sent from my Comet using Comet

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
At the bolded - more truth has never been spoken (ok a bit dramatic but you get the point)...I feel so much more relaxed and at ease once I've taken the time to wash/cowash my hair.

@divachyk - I can usually set my hair for airdrying in about 10 minutes if not less. Then I just go about my business doing house stuff while it dries.

I made taking care of my hair a priority, so I work it in my routine as needed. I usually have meetings on Monday and Tuesday nights, so I usually cowash on those days since it takes less time.

I don't really care about having the latest hairstyle. It's nothing for me to comb my damp/wet hair straight down, put on a hat and head out (I do put on lipgloss and earrings). Airdrying is airdrying no matter where I am.

It's just like exercising is a priority, so I fit it in my schedule (even if that means dragging myself out of bed at the crack of dawn). You have to make yourself and your needs important. I'm better able to take care of my family because I take care of myself first.

Hope that helps! :)

Sent from my Comet using Comet

divachyk

@sunnieb - I respect that totally and thank you for sharing. My views differ slightly. :dork: :spinning: Hair is important and I make time to keep it looking tight, right and moisturized daily and I wash/DC/etc 1x weekly. :yep: Where my views differ is that I don't feel that I'm not taking care of self if I don't wash/co-wash 2-3x's weekly. I agree that my hair should be priority at least 1x a week. My regimen consists of shampoo, DC (1 hr), leave ins, air dry, detangle. From start (shampoo) to finish (detangled) it can take upwards to 3 hrs. I don't have that kind of time to give throughout the week. If I could scale the time it takes down a bit, I'd definitely do it more often (mid-week). I haven't had much luck with cowashing so I stick to a 1x week wash schedule. I applaud everyone who can do their hair multiple x's a week and within record time. A sistah just not there yet. My hair likes being DC'd. I've found it's best that I don't skimp on this step. Thanks for sharing.

sunnieb

divachyk - 3 hours???!!! :shocked:

Girl, even when I shampoo/dc I only take 30 minutes 45 tops. Even that's not all at once. I don't have that kind of time either! :lol:

Shoo, I guess I'm really movin' faster than I thought when it comes to doing my hair. :yep:

Sent from my Comet

divachyk

sunnieb - dang chick you be moving! :grin: Your can do your hair 3x's to my 1. I have low porosity and wash 2x's to ensure my hair absorbs water when shampooing. I then steam for about 30-45 mins and let my hair cool for 15. 3 hours is from shampoo to 100% air dried and detangled. I need your Go Go Gadget speed.

sunnieb

I cowashed 4x last week. I didn't have time to dc at all. That was the first time in years that I've gone a week without dc'ing.

I love cowashing!!!!!

divachyk

Now that I've got the hang of it, I love cowashing too sunnieb. I cowash anywhere from none-4x weekly, just depends on the week.

RoseTintedCheeks

Twice for me now. One of them is almost always a deep conditioning. I was washing every 2 days though when I had the time over the summer and my hair seemed to really benefit.

divachyk

Cowashing experts -- now that it is summer, I desire to cowash several times per week but I can't seem to cowash without generating some level of breakage to which I consider unacceptable. The breakage I see comes from detangling. I'm not interested in increasing the amount of times I do my hair if I can't accomplish it without breakage but I was wondering if going 5-7 days between washes increases the likelihood for tangles vs. keeping a shorter wash cycle, say 2-4 days, would minimize tangles since the hair remains in a fairly stretched, detangled, yet hydrated state when washing back to back. Maybe I'm allowing my hair to get too dry over the 5-7 period, thereby causing tangles. What's your thoughts? I will attempt a revised wash schedule next week to test my theory. Wish me luck.

EnExitStageLeft

I'm currently stretching so I am cowashing/co-cleansing exclusively (no poo) until the end of my stretch. Currently I co-cleanse(use a cleasning conditioner) every 2-3 weeks and cowash twice per week.