Relaxed Heads- can we wash/co wash everyday???

cherepikr

I have been co-washing daily for the past three weeks. I never would have imagined doing this without you ladies on LHCF.:grin:

After exercising daily, I found that shampooing everyday was too much trouble. But co-washing worked out perfectly. I alternate between Shescentit Avocado, Banana Brulee, and Olive and Orange conditioners. Once a week I shampoo with a sulfate-free poo, and deep condition with Alter Ego garlic and follow with porosity control.

My hair has never been so happy.:grin:

AtlantaJJ

How many shed hairs do you all generally get per co-wash?

I seem to shed about 10-15 hairs when I comb after a wash. That's not a lot but its more than when I comb while dry. (which I guess I don't normally comb while dry) :scratchch Perhaps that's the only time my shed hairs come out?

I'm getting used to my new hair. I used to only get my shed hairs once per week with my weekly wash...

Kerryann

I seem to shed about 10-15 hairs when I comb after a wash. That's not a lot but its more than when I comb while dry. (which I guess I don't normally comb while dry) :scratchch Perhaps that's the only time my shed hairs come out?

I'm getting used to my new hair. I used to only get my shed hairs once per week with my weekly wash...

from since i started to cowash i havent been shedding at all. i didnt cowash for 1 day and my head felt so dirty last night i hurried up and go my head under some water and i was all good but i shed a lot yesterday since i didnt cowashed or combed hair

cherepikr

I get 5-10 during my co-washes, but I'd rather get those than have sweaty hair after my workouts. I never worried about it before, but maybe I should.:perplexed

AtlantaJJ

from since i started to cowash i havent been shedding at all. i didnt cowash for 1 day and my head felt so dirty last night i hurried up and go my head under some water and i was all good but i shed a lot yesterday since i didnt cowashed or combed hair

I think I need to just watch and see. This is a new routine for me so my hair may need to get used to it. I will do a protein treatment and the a DC to make sure my strands are strong.

I'm just curious about what others see. I'm going to check out the ingredients in the Alter Ego garlic condish.

AtlantaJJ

I get 5-10 during my co-washes, but I'd rather get those than have sweaty hair after my workouts. I never worried about it before, but maybe I should.:perplexed
That may be a perfectly normal amount. I used to get a hair ball when I washed at the end of the week before when I wasn't combing at during the week, so that was a week worth of shed hair.

I think you are fine with the 5 - 10 hairs per day. Let's see what the other ladies say.

Lovie

That may be a perfectly normal amount. I used to get a hair ball when I washed at the end of the week before when I wasn't combing at during the week, so that was a week worth of shed hair.

I think you are fine with the 5 - 10 hairs per day. Let's see what the other ladies say.

Agreed - no worries there love!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

Agreed - no worries there love!

If you wash/wet your hair in the shower remember most of the shed hair goes right down the drain so you really don't see it.

Are you ladies using a hair catcher? If so, you will really see how much hair you shed when washing and even a good catcher won't catch all.

Remember the normal shed rate for any human is anywhere from 100 - 200 hairs a day.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Cowashed this morning using Salon Care Almond and Honey Con. from Sallys and my hair was very soft afterwards.......

Lovie

If you wash/wet your hair in the shower remember most of the shed hair goes right down the drain so you really don't see it.

Are you ladies using a hair catcher? If so, you will really see how much hair you shed when washing and even a good catcher won't catch all.

Remember the normal shed rate for any human is anywhere from 100 - 200 hairs a day.

I have a hair catcher in my sink and my shower. For my wedding ring, but it catches hairs too. :eek:)

I have never shed the "normal" rate of 100-200 hairs. Never. EVER.
I would say the most is probably 25 or 30, MAYBE 50, but never what people say is the norm. The most come out with a really good detangler. Still havent figured out why that is. Maybe I am not human??!!!! Hee hee. :drunk: Also, I take phytophanere and do lots of scalp treatments, believe that can help prevent shedding.

Another thing - often times when I need to trim - clean up my "swing lines" a bit, I tend to SHED. Anyone else experienced that with fine 4A hair?

You should have seen my husband...staring at me like I was crazy when the shower water was running 10 minutes too long...I was pulling individual strands and laying it on the shower tile..side by side...counting them all... in the shower rain...:nono:

I think it depends on what phase different parts of your hair is in during the growing process.

Luscious Locks

Yup. I think 5-10 a day is fine. I shampoo and condition daily or every other day and that is what I get too. Keep in mind that when I first started out on this journey if I had done that I would have had 50 or more in the drain. Now, I have between 2-10.

Lovie, dear. Please school me to these scalp treatments. The most I do is apply Doo Grow hair oil 20 minutes before a shampoo once a week. I don't even know if that oil is doing anything. Sometimes my hair comes out softer, sometimes not.

Lovie

Yup. I think 5-10 a day is fine. I shampoo and condition daily or every other day and that is what I get too. Keep in mind that when I first started out on this journey if I had done that I would have had 50 or more in the drain. Now, I have between 2-10.

Lovie, dear. Please school me to these scalp treatments. The most I do is apply Doo Grow hair oil 20 minutes before a shampoo once a week. I don't even know if that oil is doing anything. Sometimes my hair comes out softer, sometimes not.

Never used Doo Grow, so I can't speak to it...but if I remember the package correctly I think it had sulfur as an active ingredient - which is supposed to help w/ growth (Thats the active ingredient in Boundless Tresses too, which also works) and menthol for scalp circulation.

Scalp treatments are just whatever I think my scalp needs to stay healthy.... I like to try to focus on prepping my scalp as I much as I do protecting and preserving my hair. I mix it up as required but I like to do the following:

- Oil Treatments (Olive Oil only). - warm or room temperature, in a "applicator bottle", apply to scalp whenever I want really - sometimes when I air dry sometimes before wash, sometimes before dc..

- Exfoliate (Bain de Terre Sugar & Fig Scrub) - sloughs off dead skin cells on scalp, sugar melts and dissolves in water so not abrasive to hair cuticle

- I try to make sure all deep conditioners w/ yummy ingredients get applied to scalp too (e.g, Alter Ego Garlic, Phyto Conditioners, Aubrey Organics)

- Alter Ego Garlic Treatment REALLy controls shedding. Great for hair, but I think its a good scalp and hair treatment overall.

- I just purchased a 2nd bottle of Jonathan's IB Revitalizing Oil treatment, which id 100% vegan is prayed on scalp and hair section by section, then you can sleep and wash in AM. Mostly Macademia Oil.

- Water based scalp treatments - I like Phytocyane alot. Its targeted for thinning hair, but I think that if thinning hair can take it, healthy hair will like it too!! :) Phytocyane reads:

"a complex of sulphured amino acids, a sulphured marine polyoside and Tea extract, which work on the scalp to provide it with the essential elements needed. Viburnum and Ginkgo Biloba have toning effects that improve thickness and tone the hair fiber. Group B Vitamins strengthen hair to give more volume."

I have tried the Phytospecific Revitalizing Oil, but I think I didn't really appreciate it enough to repurchase...who knows maybe I will visit again one day..

taz007

Thank you!....I am a recovered PJ, I have lots of products on hand...:giggle: I am going to move my AO HSR, WC and GPB to the front of my rotation. :yep: You are right, they do not have SC in the ingredients. I also have two huge bottles of Giovanni Smooth as Silk, the poo has SC in it but the condish does not.

I need to have a Joico Kpak sale!! :cry:
Atlanta,

I can take that off of your hands. I just hate to see you suffer so! :look:

Luscious Locks

Never used Doo Grow, so I can't speak to it...but if I remember the package correctly I think it had sulfur as an active ingredient - which is supposed to help w/ growth (Thats the active ingredient in Boundless Tresses too, which also works) and menthol for scalp circulation.

Scalp treatments are just whatever I think my scalp needs to stay healthy.... I like to try to focus on prepping my scalp as I much as I do protecting and preserving my hair. I mix it up as required but I like to do the following:

- Oil Treatments (Olive Oil only). - warm or room temperature, in a "applicator bottle", apply to scalp whenever I want really - sometimes when I air dry sometimes before wash, sometimes before dc..

- Exfoliate (Bain de Terre Sugar & Fig Scrub) - sloughs off dead skin cells on scalp, sugar melts and dissolves in water so not abrasive to hair cuticle

- I try to make sure all deep conditioners w/ yummy ingredients get applied to scalp too (e.g, Alter Ego Garlic, Phyto Conditioners, Aubrey Organics)

- Alter Ego Garlic Treatment REALLy controls shedding. Great for hair, but I think its a good scalp and hair treatment overall.

- I just purchased a 2nd bottle of Jonathan's IB Revitalizing Oil treatment, which id 100% vegan is prayed on scalp and hair section by section, then you can sleep and wash in AM. Mostly Macademia Oil.

- Water based scalp treatments - I like Phytocyane alot. Its targeted for thinning hair, but I think that if thinning hair can take it, healthy hair will like it too!! :) Phytocyane reads:

"a complex of sulphured amino acids, a sulphured marine polyoside and Tea extract, which work on the scalp to provide it with the essential elements needed. Viburnum and Ginkgo Biloba have toning effects that improve thickness and tone the hair fiber. Group B Vitamins strengthen hair to give more volume."

I have tried the Phytospecific Revitalizing Oil, but I think I didn't really appreciate it enough to repurchase...who knows maybe I will visit again one day..

Good to know. I'll check the ingredients. Honestly I'm not up on my Boundless Tresses knowledge. I'm having trouble keeping up with all of these products. While I want to nourish my hair with the best of ingredients, I also try to keep things simple. Phyto has helped me do that. Like, atleast when I focus on that one brand I know I'm kind of covered. Same with Joico too-- my protein heaven.

Wow, sugar scrub for scalp. I sooo could have used this when I was not washing my hair daily. Sounds so invigorating and luxurious. I'm all excited and hot and bothered. Hahahaha!

Now the PJ in me is awakening. LoL.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I have a hair catcher in my sink and my shower. For my wedding ring, but it catches hairs too. :eek:)

I have never shed the "normal" rate of 100-200 hairs. Never. EVER.
I would say the most is probably 25 or 30, MAYBE 50, but never what people say is the norm. The most come out with a really good detangler. Still havent figured out why that is. Maybe I am not human??!!!! Hee hee. :drunk: Also, I take phytophanere and do lots of scalp treatments, believe that can help prevent shedding.

Another thing - often times when I need to trim - clean up my "swing lines" a bit, I tend to SHED. Anyone else experienced that with fine 4A hair?

You should have seen my husband...staring at me like I was crazy when the shower water was running 10 minutes too long...I was pulling individual strands and laying it on the shower tile..side by side...counting them all... in the shower rain...:nono:

I think it depends on what phase different parts of your hair is in during the growing process.

Lucky you. I shed lots.

Lovie

Lucky you. I shed lots.

I'm sorry. :( So does my best friend. :perplexed She once told me that when she is shedding at a frigtening rate, that she trims. She also takes the Phytophanere Vits, and I think that has helped some too, but I haven't asked in awhile...

Luscious Locks

I'm sorry. :( So does my best friend. :perplexed She once told me that when she is shedding at a frigtening rate, that she trims. She also takes the Phytophanere Vits, and I think that has helped some too, but I haven't asked in awhile...

TOTAL PUSHER! LoL. Phyto needs to put you on payroll for repping those vitamins. I really want to get them, but they're so expensive.

Lovie

Honestly?
Usually a day or two. Many don't advise it, but I've never had any problems with this.

HeChangedMyName

co-washing makes my hair feel nasty. I try to wash once a week and I do notice that once it is washed, my hair behaves much better, so who knows, maybe more frequent washes could be key in retention and growth for relaxed heads. I went to college with a girl who was relaxed, and had a short doo, she washed her hair everyday if I remember correctly.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I ended up waiting a week to wash because I was busy with school. Imma try to co wash atleast 2x a week now.