RELAXED HEADS: How Many times Can you Co-Wash a week???

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
I co wash almost everyday...Unless I get these roots blown out...then my hair feels no water sees no water and knows no water....

smoothie696

I co-wash 3 to 4 times a week and I DC no less than twice a week. I just find it so much eaiser to co-wash in the morning and bun. Plus I love to feel the water on my scalp and I am addicted to my heating cap that I use for DC (feels so good) .

tnorenberg

I co wash everyday in the summer or at least every other day. I've been doing it for years with no ill effects. I dont deep condition until i get a relaxer. i just dont see the point.

ETA: that avatar is quite distracting:lick:

Ditto for me too.

stixx

I co wash everyday in the summer or at least every other day. I've been doing it for years with no ill effects. I dont deep condition until i get a relaxer. i just dont see the point.
This is me too. The way I see it, the only reason why DCing is needed is because black women DON'T wash and condition every day. If you co-wash everyday, you shouldn't need to. :)

butterfly_wings

For the first 3 weeks after I realx i don't co-wash I just deep condition, after that i co was every weekday and deep condition on weekends

FluffyRed

... This happens to me, my hair gets dry after co washing without conditioning after if I do it for 3-4 days in a row. ...

That's exactly what I experienced before these boards.

The same conditioner I cowashed with as a natural was making my hair dry.

I didn't realize it was a light protein co wash.

I adjusted and now alternate moisture cowashes with protein treatments and I feel like the cowash queen.

Muse

This is me too. The way I see it, the only reason why DCing is needed is because black women DON'T wash and condition every day. If you co-wash everyday, you shouldn't need to. :)

I completely agree with this!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thanks for bumping this thread.:grin: I'm a once a weeker; Co-Washing & DC'ing.

I tried twice a week, but think it's a bit much right now, for My Hair.

bimtheduck

I was co washing a few times a week after workouts but then I started experiencing breakage so it might not be for me.

yora88

I cowash everyday. I deep condition using porosity control and/or protein treatment as needed.

belldandy

I cowash daily, or frequently. I love it.
I still feel that if you have chemically processed hair, you probably need to dc once a week or every other week.

LaidBak

I'm at a military academy right now and I'm gonna have to start cowashing because we PT 3-5 days a week before class. I won't have time to do anything but cowash on those days. I'll be alternating moisture and protein because I am scared of getting mushy hair. I will probably DC on the weekends, if I need it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm at a military academy right now and I'm gonna have to start cowashing because we PT 3-5 days a week before class. I won't have time to do anything but cowash on those days. I'll be alternating moisture and protein because I am scared of getting mushy hair. I will probably DC on the weekends, if I need it.

Lemme know how that works for you. I will be watching your progress.

Since I'm wigging it and it's been hot as Hades (especially under the wig), I've done it maybe twice a week some weeks.:yep:

For me, (and my hair) personally, anything more than that would be Overkill. Maybe when I get stronger hair and more length I can look into "Wet Bunning" as an option.

I remember Aggie saying what horrible effects daily or near daily co-washing had on her hair when she was Relaxed. I've been 'leery' ever since.

Hope it works for you LB. The Protein/Moisture Regi sounds good too.:yep:

LaidBak

Since I'm wigging it and it's been hot as Hades (especially under the wig), I've done it maybe twice a week some weeks.:yep:

For me, (and my hair) personally, anything more than that would be Overkill. Maybe when I get stronger hair and more length I can look into "Wet Bunning" as an option.

I remember Aggie saying what horrible effects daily or near daily co-washing had on her hair when she was Relaxed. I've been 'leery' ever since.

I have to admit, I'm scurred. I cowashed this morning after my run. My hair (where the bun was) is still wet 8 hours later. I can't imagine that being good for my hair. I got the Sally's GVP version of Joico KPak and I'm hoping that will keep my hair strong.

chasturner84

I usually CW 2/week after my workouts. The only time I don't CW is when I'm deep into a stretch and that is due to the increased shedding that I experience due to manipulation.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have to admit, I'm scurred. I cowashed this morning after my run. My hair (where the bun was) is still wet 8 hours later. I can't imagine that being good for my hair. I got the Sally's GVP version of Joico KPak and I'm hoping that will keep my hair strong.

Praying for you Girl, because I know this is something You Need/Hafta Do.:yep: based on your job and climate.

Imma ask Aggie in here to share her experience(s) when she was 'relaxed' and Head of the Co-Wash Challenge Thread (last year, I think:look:) and was co-washing practically 4-6 times a week. She had a very compelling exprience as a Relaxed Head.

Honestly, it's Great for those that can and not suffer any set-backs or negative effects from it. :grin:

I'll be watching your progress.

Aggie

The bolded is correct for my relaxed hair Terri. It broke off my hair a lot and I decided to stop while I still had some hair on my head.

Now that I'm natural however, I find it a lot easier to cowash often to maintain softer hair. Now mind you, I rarely ever wash/cowash with my hair all out - it's always in big braids/plaits. This helps make detangling a breeze for me.

Now as far as detangling goes, I would usually do so once a week with lots of cheapy conditioner in my hair by unravelling one braid at a time, detangle, then braid it back up, then move to the next braid until my whole head is completely detangled.

Remember I am protective styling my hair wearing wigs so for me this regimen is ultra easy.

I can't see this method working out too well or as well for relaxed hair as it does for natural hair. HTH!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I cowash daily and I LOVE it! Been doing so since the beginning of this year. I use aphogee 2 min reconstructor, as needed and DC 1-2x weekly. I'm having no problems.

SelfStyled

I cowash 3-4 times a week- with no problems. The problem that I ran into before was I was pulling my wet air back too tightly so I had breakage in one spot. Now I make 2 loose buns and KIM.

LaidBak

When I cowash it's usually because I did not have the time to rollerset.

I find when I cowash I have use super moisturizing conditoners or it's breakage city.

Cowashing also tends to to increase SSKs so i try to cowash once maybe twice per month at the most.

You're relaxed and you get SSKs?

BoaterGirlKim

I cowash daily. The only time I've run into issues was when switching from V05 Strawberries and Cream to other conditioners. Tresemme Vitamin E was my latest oopsie - left my hair dry as straw with hard, snarled NG. At least it didn't tangle my ends into clumps like Organix Coconut Milk. Deep conditioning is still essential for me once my new growth comes in real good. I get great slip with my DC reggie and don't have to detangle, something I haven't been able to achieve with cowashing alone.

soonergirl

I co wash daily and bun.. I seal my leave in with a butter or oil.. My hair has thrived. I still do deep condishes cuz Im a condish junkie!!