Relaxed Heads- can we wash/co wash everyday???

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
IDK if I wanna cowash once or 2x a week. Hell it hot here in Houston but then I dont wanna have mushy hair. Geesh what is a girl suppose to do?

ETA: I also just cowashed with Honey and Almond Salon Care Conditioner from Sallys and Im loving it....

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I decided it will be once during a wash week. So like poo then 3 days later its cowashing then 3 days poo again.

Holly007

I wash and condition about 3-5 times a week and I'm relaxed with hair passed my shoulders. My hair is so much more moisturized, and my breakage has significantly reduced. I don't like cowashing. I've tried it a total of four times and have been disgusted every time. I makes my hair feel waxy, not clean or moisturized.

When I detangly my hair I use my finger and comb only a little bit when I'm out of the show. I'm 10 weeks post and my new growth is strong. I also don't comb my new growth with a comb at all. I just finger comb it and it's happy, not nappy, not dry.

Try it though, it may or may not be for you, and you'll never know until you try.

Good luck

I am so late to this conversation lol but which Bumble & Bumble to you recommend? I tried the Mend line and it was an epic fail. I wash/condition every other day. I was stunned to see others do it as well. I am always being told that it is bad for your hair. But it helped my relaxed hair especially with shedding. I use Phyto and Joico too. I rotate my products. Have you tried Phyto co wash? It worked good for my hair. I am going to order the Joico co wash. I use the co wash in between regular wash/condition

Holly007

i think ill try too!

I am going to try that myself starting tomorrow. Currently, I wash/condition, skip a day, then co wash, skip a day etc. So on. People looked at me crazy because I guess the unspoken rule is once a week. It does not work for me because I sweat my hair out everyday. I also notice that I only have to wash once instead of twice. I do not have much build up at all because I cleanse my hair so often. The next co wash up is Wella-which I was supposed to use last night lol. My next shampoo will be with Mane Choice Peach Tea black tea set.

sunnieb

Oh wow! This thread is a blast from the past! :grin:

The answer is yes we can!

Since I bun daily, it's easy for me to cowash almost everyday. If you're trying to hold on to a certain style, it'd be way more difficult.

Holly007

Nexxus co wash was alright. I do not have colored hair but it is processed so I figured why not. It was on sale and I wanted to use it along with their shampoo and conditioner. It is sort of runny but I still had to use quite a bit for my hair. Rinses clean and hair had a nice slip to it. It made my hair very shiny the next day though lol. I just did not have the volume. I caught it on sale.

Holly007

Never used Doo Grow, so I can't speak to it...but if I remember the package correctly I think it had sulfur as an active ingredient - which is supposed to help w/ growth (Thats the active ingredient in Boundless Tresses too, which also works) and menthol for scalp circulation.

Scalp treatments are just whatever I think my scalp needs to stay healthy.... I like to try to focus on prepping my scalp as I much as I do protecting and preserving my hair. I mix it up as required but I like to do the following:

- Oil Treatments (Olive Oil only). - warm or room temperature, in a "applicator bottle", apply to scalp whenever I want really - sometimes when I air dry sometimes before wash, sometimes before dc..

- Exfoliate (Bain de Terre Sugar & Fig Scrub) - sloughs off dead skin cells on scalp, sugar melts and dissolves in water so not abrasive to hair cuticle

- I try to make sure all deep conditioners w/ yummy ingredients get applied to scalp too (e.g, Alter Ego Garlic, Phyto Conditioners, Aubrey Organics)

- Alter Ego Garlic Treatment REALLy controls shedding. Great for hair, but I think its a good scalp and hair treatment overall.

- I just purchased a 2nd bottle of Jonathan's IB Revitalizing Oil treatment, which id 100% vegan is prayed on scalp and hair section by section, then you can sleep and wash in AM. Mostly Macademia Oil.

- Water based scalp treatments - I like Phytocyane alot. Its targeted for thinning hair, but I think that if thinning hair can take it, healthy hair will like it too!! :) Phytocyane reads:

"a complex of sulphured amino acids, a sulphured marine polyoside and Tea extract, which work on the scalp to provide it with the essential elements needed. Viburnum and Ginkgo Biloba have toning effects that improve thickness and tone the hair fiber. Group B Vitamins strengthen hair to give more volume."

I have tried the Phytospecific Revitalizing Oil, but I think I didn't really appreciate it enough to repurchase...who knows maybe I will visit again one day..

That was the reason I started to use Phyto lol. I felt it would assist in healthy hair overall. I use their co wash, shampoo, and conditioner. I have never heard of Alter Ego garlic but best believe I will look it up lol.

sunnieb

So I skipped cowashing for 2 nights.

My hair knotted up at the roots. :confused:

Dcing tonight and won't skip more than one night without cowashing. :)

Holly007

So I skipped cowashing for 2 nights.

My hair knotted up at the roots. :confused:

Dcing tonight and won't skip more than one night without cowashing. :)

I skipped before and I paid for it. You are not alone there. Its just like your face, miss your normal regimen and it can be an issue lol. I just co washed tonight with Shea Moisture.

Holly007

Is better to roller set your hair wet or dry? Or which is faster? Im going to try it again and see how far I get lol. AND I just found out today that I can wear a braid out relaxed. :bling: talk about somebody about to experiment this weekend LOL.

PlanetCybertron

Not only do i co-wash frequently or everyday, but I wash using shampoo either daily or every other day, followed by conditioner. I'll wash my hair the next day after a fresh relaxer, just to really get the mineral deposits out completely.

Holly007

Not only do i co-wash frequently or everyday, but I wash using shampoo either daily or every other day, followed by conditioner. I'll wash my hair the next day after a fresh relaxer, just to really get the mineral deposits out completely.

Do you notice your hair is always soft? I just started washing and/or co washing daily this past week or so lol. I was only waahing every other day prior. I didn't know you could wash the very next day after a touch up. I usually skip a day after. Is there a difference in your hair?

Holly007

Do you notice your hair is always soft? I just started washing and/or co washing daily this past week or so lol. I was only waahing every other day prior. I didn't know you could wash the very next day after a touch up. I usually skip a day after. Is there a difference in your hair?

Holly007

So I just started back using hot oil treatments 2 weeks ago. Shameful I know. Its been YEARS since Ive done that. I deep condition regularly. I used Righteous Roots and used a heat cap.

PlanetCybertron

For the most part yes, but I find that’s partly due to fine textured hair anyways. I focus the shampoo on my roots only though, since that’s where most of my issues occur. If I were to constantly shampoo the entirety of my hair, it would no doubt be a lot drier and more difficult for it to remain moisturized. So most times my longer lengths rarely get any shampoo cleansing, since they definitely don’t need it, and I usually coat them with either cones or whatever butter mix I have on hand. (Usually Shea or Cupuacu Butter).

And I absolutely see a difference in washing freshly relaxed hair the next day. Rarely, do many people who relax get all of the deposits within the first rinse. Espeacially the areas where the relaxer was first applied, because that area has had the relaxer on it the longest. By washing the next day, I’m more or less continuing to remove the heavy metal-ionic deposits thag relaxers leave behind. If I still have remaining deposits on my hair is almost impossible for any of my products to do their job. Espeacially my protein products. The quicker I get the deposits off, the quicker my hair can be tended to and my products can do their job correctly.

Holly007

I appreciate your informative reply. It makes me take a closer look at my own routine just to see if I can make some helpful adjustments. Everyone has different hair types but maintaining healthy hair is pretty much universal lol.

I always had long hair but I cut it and thick lol. But I didnt care for my hair like I have been this past year. My hair feels so good and looks healthier than it ever was prior. My hair growth has been consistent since I started showing some TLC to my tresses lol.