Progression of a 4a/b wash-n-go (BKT'd)

sheba1

Gorgeous curls!!!

It's funny to see your coworker in the pic.....probably wondering what you were going. lol http://www.longhaircareforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36357&d=1245392914

Thanks for showing the other side of BKT. I have not flat ironed my entire head since I had BKT done on 4/23. I have only rollerset my hair or flat ironed my bangs to blend with some of my half wigs.

I love my BKT'd curls and am doing my 3rd treatment this weekend (at home not the salon this time).

Thank you, Naturaltobe! Isn't that funny? I know she's like, "is she taking a picture of her hair?!" But she, at least partially understands. We are both curly girls and we always talk about tips and tricks we're using to make our hair more manageable. She said that long ago, she just gave up and cut her hair off. But since we've met, she talks about growing it out to see if she use techniques like the curly primer method. She's one of the people that loves my wash n go hair. I came in with it soppin wet and she's all, "I love it!" lol

She also complained that she likes to wash her hair daily but hates that it dries her hair out. So I turned her on to cowashing. Waiting to hear back how it goes for her. :yep:

And you see the co-worker immediately to my right? That's my girl and we are into some hair. She'd have let me know if my hair was glowing white, so that's how I know it was just the camera/lighting. :yep:

Don't you just love that you can get away with roller setting, alone? No silk wrap, even, if you want to? So much versatility and freedom. I can hardly wait to see your third treatment results! :)

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Your curls look great and really defined. I'm just going to focus on writing about that because that's the subject of your post.

Thanks for taking the time to POST. I appreciate that it took a lot of effort for you to take the time to post pics of your hair over the course of the day from 7 am to 10 pm. Heck I would've posted one or two if that. Lord knows I don't have the patience to do that lol! So I thank you for being that considerate to everyone here!

I can't believe you still posted after trouble with your mechanic. Your cheery disposition is just amazing. What's in the water you're drinking? Give me some of that!:yep:

How does your hair feel when it dries? Soft?

sheba1

Ladies, I truly appreciate the support (so very much), but let's stop giving MSA a hard time. I just feel like it further takes the focus off of what this thread is supposed to be. A place for people who are interested in the BKT and it's effects on natural hair to ask questions and make comments.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Ladies, I truly appreciate the support (so very much), but let's stop giving MSA a hard time. I just feel like it further takes the focus off of what this thread is supposed to be. A place for people who are interested in the BKT and it's effects on natural hair to ask questions and make comments.
I still have love for Msa and all the ladies here at lhcf. Sometimes we disagree on stuff it's okay. I agree we definitely should stay on track and just talk about your lovely hair

luckiestdestiny

Hey Sheba1 you didn't answer my question! How does your hair feel when it dries? Is it soft? or dense, or coarse? I KNOW you've had your hands in your hair! Spill it.:grin:

yodie

This is certainly doable. I wish it worked both ways.

Onwards and upwards with the BKT results.

sheba1

Wow! The BKT and the wash n go seems to give your hair volume! Nice curls!:grin:

Thank you so much, Stella B. Yep, I think a lot of 4a/b naturals would love to rock more wash n go's but worry about single strand knots. The fact that the bkt seems to help the hair glide more when wet seems to make it a perfect compliment to the natural wash n go :yep:

Your curls is beautiful! Well defined!

Thank you, Jamaicalovely :bighug: I love your hair! Your update vid was one of the first that made my jaw drop! :lol:

Hey Sheba1 you didn't answer my question! How does your hair feel when it dries? Is it soft? or dense, or coarse? I KNOW you've had your hands in your hair! Spill it.:grin:

Oh, I got completely side tracked!! Yesss, it is soft! Not crunchy, a bit. And I love the way I can separate the curls without dealing with too much frizz even after dry, like if I wanted to do an impromptu pin-up do, or something like that.

This is certainly doable. I wish it worked both ways.

Onwards and upwards with the BKT results.

Awwww, it's ok, Yodie. Away we go! :drunk:

yodie

Not too sure if your hair was dry before, but do you think you need to add oil to your scalp/hair with BKT?

My hair and scalp are dry. Just wondering if I'd still need to use oil on my scalp at least once a week if I BKT'd

sheba1

Very lovely!!

Thank you! Danigurl, did you purchase bkt? Did you do it yet? Girlfriend, I've been meaning to send a you a pm. I need details! lol

Not too sure if your hair was dry before, but do you think you need to add oil to your scalp/hair with BKT?

My hair and scalp are dry. Just wondering if I'd still need to use oil on my scalp at least once a week if I BKT'd

My hair was a dessert, always, but my scalp never needed oiling or anything. Now that I cowash so often, I don't seem to need anything. Like, ever! lol I don't even DC right now. I haven't seen a need.

Yodie, if you BKT how do you plan on wearing your hair most of the time?

I thought I would do lots of bunning and braidouts and such. That was before I knew I could get such a nice wash-n-go.

I haven't posted pics of my bun, yet. I should. It's one of my favorite ways to wear my hair after a quick cowash. I get lots of compliments on it, which I never expected.

yodie

Please post a pic of your bun.
I'm still in the "grow out" stage. So, since I've fallen in love with my sew in the way that you've fallen in love with BKT, I'd just wear my sew in until I gained the length I wanted.

If I already had the length, then I'd probably wear it in a bun and a wash and go with some diffuser action. I like big, wild hair. I'll get there!!

My hair was a dessert, always, but my scalp never needed oiling or anything. Now that I cowash so often, I don't seem to need anything. Like, ever! lol I don't even DC right now. I haven't seen a need.

Yodie, if you BKT how do you plan on wearing your hair most of the time?

I thought I would do lots of bunning and braidouts and such. That was before I knew I could get such a nice wash-n-go.

I haven't posted pics of my bun, yet. I should. It's one of my favorite ways to wear my hair after a quick cowash. I get lots of compliments on it, which I never expected.[/quote]

Mystic

Thanks for sharing Sheba 1. Your hair looks GORGEOUS! Love how the curls pop. OT, you are a beautiful woman with a lovely smile.

sheba1

Please post a pic of your bun.
I'm still in the "grow out" stage. So, since I've fallen in love with my sew in the way that you've fallen in love with BKT, I'd just wear my sew in until I gained the length I wanted.

Oh that's great! I love that you're loving your hair as you gain the length that you want :yep:

I will post a couple pics of my bun a little later :)

If I already had the length, then I'd probably wear it in a bun and a wash and go with some diffuser action. I like big, wild hair. I'll get there!!

You sure will get there! I think if you decide to BKT as you grow out it could make your take downs easier. I think you could easily BKT once every 3 months or so, as the detangling benefits seem to last so much longer than the anti-frizz benefit.

Your hair turned out really nice. How long does your wash n go last using this method?

Thank you, Vonnieluvs :drunk: I'm kind of lazy in the way that I do it. I think if I took the time to denman, detangle, deshed and separate like Teri, the creator of the curly primer method at www.tightlycurly.com, I imagine it could last for days.

Because I don't do any of those things, however, mine only lasts the day. The next day, whether I work out or not, I usually rinse in the shower, coat with conditioner and wet bun. Wet bunning is my usual style of choice, anyhow. It's so sleek and I feel sophisticated with it. My curly girl wash-n-go is usually for days that I'm just feeling kinda saucy or if I'm going out! lol

Thanks for sharing Sheba 1. Your hair looks GORGEOUS! Love how the curls pop.

Awww thanks so much, Mystic. :D

OT, you are a beautiful woman with a lovely smile.
:blush3: You are too sweet! I guess going a little off topic isn't so bad... :lol:

ajargon02

Ok, I haven't used the "search tool" as of yet, but what is this BTK that eveyone in here seems to be talking about? Please help the clueless :)

Jetblackhair

Thank you, Jetblackhair! My hair feels super healthy, also. I mean it's strong and shedding is reasonable and breakage and STKs are things of the past.

I'm not sure if it's the BKT that's helped my hair to fill out or the fact that I'm able to rinse and cowash with so much ease, now, that I do it almost daily. I've read other threads where they thought that daily cowashing helps the hair to get thicker.

Whatever the reason, I am really greatful. I think my hair is actually fuller and hanging longer than it did in my wash n go just under a month ago. Is it just me?

This is my wash n go from 5-28-09 just a few days after my third bkt.
View attachment 36421

And this is the one from last night, a little over 3 weeks since my third bkt. Am I seeing things?
View attachment 36419

Here's another from 5-28-09
View attachment 36423

But yesterday, head on
View attachment 36425

It might be my imagination, but my hair just feels and seems so much fuller to me, these days. It's still just as manageable as before. Just giving me great volume with a bit of hang time, too.

No you are not seeing things, I see it to! Your hair is thicker and it does hang longer. Looking great Sheba1!

Great thread, thanks so much for answering all the questions we have about the BKT, you're awesome. :bighug:

sheba1

Ok, rounded up some pics of my bun from after my work out.

This is my hair coated in aussie sidney smooth after cowash and aphogee two minute reconstructor.
IMG_0265.jpg

This is my homemade donut, made out of two socks with the ends cut off and wrapped in a satin ribbon to protect my hair.
IMG_0266.jpg

My pony with the donut added.
IMG_0267.JPG

My hair wrapped around the donut and tie added; hair tucked under
IMG_0268.jpg

Another pic of the finished bun.
IMG_0269.jpg

sheba1

No you are not seeing things, I see it to! Your hair is thicker and it does hang longer. Looking great Sheba1!

Great thread, thanks so much for answering all the questions we have about the BKT, you're awesome. :bighug:
Yayyyy!! I'm not crazy! :spinning: :grin: Awww, thank you for the kind words, Jetblackhair. I am happy to help in any way I can. :yep:

Ok, I haven't used the "search tool" as of yet, but what is this BTK that eveyone in here seems to be talking about? Please help the clueless :)

Hey there, Ajargon! BKT is a treatment that coats the hair and makes it smoother, heavier and straighter temporarily. It coats the outside of the hair and wears away over time. It's a bit controversial as many of the different brands contain different formulations. Some with formaldehyde and other "formaldehyd free" versions that still contain some form of aldehyde.

Because it wears over time, it's quite different than a relaxer or texturizer. Every time you apply, you apply from root to tip. Some naturals, like myself, even applied a couple of treatments almost back to back to get a good coating.

The treatment became popular in Brazil and has spread to the US. It's mostly marketed to people with a slight wave to make their hair straight right out of the shower. But some at lhcf have discovered that you can have looser curl without losing curl if you're a natural. Those with texlaxed hair have discovered that they can have bone straight results right out of the shower without dealing with the weakened state that bone straight relaxed reslults create in some fine hair.

Supporters of the BKT say that it makes hair stronger with continued use. Those who are against say that we have no idea how our bodies will react with continued use, being that it contains formaldehyde.

There are arguments by some that remind that there are many products we use on a regular basis that contain formaldehyde. Baby wipes, nail polish, some wood polishers are all examples.

There are loads of threads about BKT, now. But I'll give you a couple to get started.

Brazilian Keratin Treatment Where have you been all my life? Pic Heavy
Natural Hair + BKT=SWANG!(pics of course)
Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Check out Brittany's chanel on youtube also. She was dealing with some damage to her hair when she came across the BKT. She has some very informative vids and has been using the product for over a year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brittanynic16

yodie

Thanks for sharing the pics of your hair in a bun. It looks gorgeous. BKT is a winner for your hair!! I'm glad that you have so much versatility now.

sheba1

Yodie said:
Thanks for sharing the pics of your hair in a bun. It looks gorgeous. BKT is a winner for your hair!! I'm glad that you have so much versatility now.

You're so welcome, Yodie. I really feel like I found the thing for me, for sure :yep: It surprised me when I took the pic and my pony looked so full. Can't wait to see that get longer and fuller, still. ooooh!

lwilliams1922

Yep, you gotta love those BKT wash and go's. :grin:

Does the Ausie have SLS or sodium??

I'm only co washing every 3 days or so. On the other days I have a spray bottle with water, keratin leave in conditioner and jojoba oil. I'm just starting to try adding curly putting and or carrot oil to the spray bottle.

I think I'm geting more curl back with each wash but it's not frizzy like it was before. I do think my roots may need some attention so I'm planning to do #3 on a warm day next week (when I can blow dry outside)

sheba1

Thanks nice Sheba1.
Beautiful hair.

Thank you so much, Demi! :hiya:

Your hair looks VERY nice!

Aww, thanks DozenRoses!

Yep, you gotta love those BKT wash and go's. :grin:

Don't ya just?!

Does the Ausie have SLS or sodium??

No ma'am! I don't worry too much about anything with "sodium" in it as long as it doesn't say sodium chloride or isn't sodium lauryl sulfate. Some of my products, like my Mill Creek Biotin Shampoo have some things in it that start with "sodium" but since it wasn't on my list of things to avoid, I don't make a huge deal about it. I noticed that many of the after care products sold with the treatment have some "sodiums...." but not the biggie; sodium chloride.

I'm only co washing every 3 days or so. On the other days I have a spray bottle with water, keratin leave in conditioner and jojoba oil. I'm just starting to try adding curly putting and or carrot oil to the spray bottle.

I think I'm getting more curl back with each wash but it's not frizzy like it was before. I do think my roots may need some attention so I'm planning to do #3 on a warm day next week (when I can blow dry outside)

I think that's neat that you're getting more curl with each wash. I don't really notice much difference between now and when I did the treatment this last time. I can't imagine doing the treatment sooner than another month out. My hair is holding up fabulously with this third time around. 3 weeks and holding steady... Frizz free (with the right care), tangle free, knot free... all the benefits I've had since the day after treatment. Hot dog!

Wow, your bun is TOO cute!! Love it. Your hair looks like 3C with the BKT.

Thank you, Mystic!! I feel so sleek with that bun, I tell ya! I just feel chic and hot. I took a pic of my face with the bun, and I think I'll post it later.

I think you're right! 3c, wow... never was expecting that. I thought I'd end up with straight hair after the BKT. Never did I imagine I'd end up with something better. Curls that are manageable! :lol: I'll take this any day of the week. And then I can flat iron to be straight when I want to, I suppose. So far, no desire for that... :)