Progression of a 4a/b wash-n-go (BKT'd)

sheba1

Hello All! When I posted my thread with pics of my second wash-n-go ever after my third BKT, I got some questions asking how my hair looked all throughout the day. So I thought I would start this thread to show the progression of my curls throughout the day, from 7am to 10pm.

Since my first wash n go, I've discovered the curly primer method on www.tightlycurly.com thanks to Skyborn09 in her thread: Fantasia IC Gel + Curly Primer Method=OMG HAIR!!!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my wash n go's now. I will always treat my hair the way described in that method. The only thing I don't do is separate the curls as I rinse, cowash or shampoo my hair daily in the shower. As she describes in the method, however, I detangle and remove shed hairs with my denman once per week. I also leave a "combing conditioner" in my hair. My conditioner of choice is Aussie Sidney Smooth. I then find I have better definition and hold if I follow that up with Black n Sassy Cream Set and rake my fingers through to smooth any frizzies and help my hair to clump.

I hope you enjoy my picture tale!

The next 4 pics are my hair when I first arrive to work. My hair is soaking wet, still and note that it looks quite stringy. I make certain to keep my fingers out of it as it dries. Note that my hair is heavy and has more wave than curl, at first.
1 soak wet.JPG

2 soak wet.JPG

3 soak wet.JPG

4 soak wet.JPG

This next pic is my hair after about an hour. See it gets much fuller and starts to really curl as it dries.
5 partial dry.JPG

sheba1

These are all pics taken an hour after my hair was first wet set. My hair is partially dry and becoming more full.

I thought this was a great photo to show a little patch that I didn't get quite enough product on at the top back. It's got a little bit of frizz. It's an interesting piece to watch throughout the pics.
5b partial dry.JPG

6 partial dry flash.JPG

Here's a really great shot of that fuzzy patch that doesn't have enough product. After this pic, I scrunched that hair with the rest to try to keep it from separating and looking fuzzy throughout the day

7 partial dry.jpg

7 partial dry 2.JPG

8 partial dry flash.jpg

Last edited:

sheba1

The following pics were all taken late in the evening, around 10 pm. You can see that I am dog tired... but my hair looks fabulous! :lol: I guess you're wondering why I don't just go take my self to sleep somewhere instead of sitting there taking pics of my hair. Well the answer is that I was at my mechanics and he was working on my car. Had to find something productive to to, right?! :spinning:

Hair is completely dry in the pics below and I admit that I had my hands in my hair more than I should throughout the day. :blush:
9  late night.jpg

9 a late night.jpg

9a late night.jpg

Where's that fuzzy patch?
9b late night.jpg

9c late night.jpg

Last edited:

msa

Cute hair!

But umm...you go to work with your hair soaking wet with white product in it? No one says anything about that?

sheba1

msa said:
Cute hair!

But umm...you go to work with your hair soaking wet with white product in it? No one says anything about that?

I think my hair has a whitish tint in the pics but it's just something that got picked up by the camera. My hair doesn't look white in person, even when it's soaked. It generally looks like the old school jherri curl for all of about a half hour. I tend to get positive comments about my hair all day long when doing my wash-n-go.

anon123

Wow, it definitely loosened your curls. Judging by the pictures in your siggy, it also seems to make your hair appear fuller. Nice.

Jetblackhair

Thanks for the picture tale! Your hair looks really great, curls and all. This is so helpful for those of us who are researching the BKT system.

yodie

Sheba1,

Thanks for taking the time to show us how your hair progresses throughout the day. Your hair and smile are gorgeous. You are just at the beginning of your hair journey. Just think of where you'll be in years to come.

White folks go to work with their hair wet all day, everyday. Some folks go to work with naps, kinks and fros. "white stuff" aka conditioner, soaks in and does not leave a white residue. Hello!!!

Last edited:

Dove56

Very pretty hair Sheba! Your hair looks so full and pretty! Btw, when I was naturally curly I went to work with my wet in the summer! :)

msa

Sheba1,

Thanks for taking the time to show us how your hair progresses throughout the day. Your hair and smile are gorgeous. You are just at the beginning of your hair journey. Just think of where you'll be in years to come.

White folks go to work with their hair wet all day, everyday. Some folks go to work with naps, kinks and fros. "white stuff" aka conditioner, soaks in and does not leave a white residue. Hello!!!

I know it soaks in eventually. It just seems a little inappropriate to roll up to work that way.

sheba1

= Lovely =

Thank you, LuyshuZ!

pretty little curls....

Thanks, Caramel Jewel!

Beautiful hair! That's wonderful that it stays the same all day long, with no frizz!

Thanks so much. Yes, I love the ease of it all and I feel more beautiful than ever now that I'm wearing my hair out sometimes instead of hidden away all the time.

Wow, it definitely loosened your curls. Judging by the pictures in your siggy, it also seems to make your hair appear fuller. Nice.

Thank you, Mwedzi! You are one of my hair inspirations. Your hair is beautifullllllll :love: My hair also appears a bit fuller because it's grown a bit and that pic was taken back in November at the beginning of my journey.

Im glad you found something that works for your hair! Love your texure by the way.

Thank you, Skyborn09! I tell you, that curly primer method is the bomb. I'm so grateful to you that you shared that thread with those pics of your beautiful well defined curls. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! In fact, I think that's what I said when I replied to your thread! :lol:

sheba1

Thanks for the picture tale! Your hair looks really great, curls and all. This is so helpful for those of us who are researching the BKT system.

Awww, you're so welcome. That's my hope, Jetblackhair, to share as much as possible since when I began researching the BKT for my hair type I found some info but not that much. And all the pics I saw were of flat ironed hair with the product still in. I want to share the other side of BKT. The super manageable Curlygirl side! :D

Your hair is drop dead gorgeous, by the way! Wow :yep:

Sheba1,

Awwww, thanks so much Yodie. I can hardly wait to see where our hair reaches to in a couple years time. My hair gets so much more TLC now than it ever did before that it's no wonder it's thriving. And the BKT knocking out the single stranded knots really adds the icing.

pretty hair. Do you wash and go evryday? and if so do tou find that the BKT is wearing off faster?

I've heard some say that the BKT only lasts for a month on natural hair. I have been cowashing and either wet bunning or cowashing and wash-n-going every day that I go to the gym and sometimes more.

It's not quite been a month since my last treatment but I'm watching my hair carefully to see when will be the next best time to do my next treatment. So far, my hair shows no signs of needing another BKT. I wonder if coating the hair with the combing conditioner will help to protect the BKT longer, actually. So I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm certain when I do my 4th treatment there will be pics and my observations about the process.

Your hair looks great, Sheba!

Thank you Belle!! I'm heading over to your thread in two shakes. I heard there are BEAUTIFUL :pics: so you know I wanna see!

Very pretty hair Sheba! Your hair looks so full and pretty! Btw, when I was naturally curly I went to work with my wet in the summer! :)

Thank you so much Veejee! I'm glad it looks beautiful to others because, the way I feel about my hair, I'd be rocking it this way anyhow! hahaha I love it! And it's just so eaaaaasy! And I get complimented on my hair, literally, daily and, on top of it all, it's cheap! When I think of all the time, money and energy I used to spend on my wigs and braid hair and finding the right braider, and meeting up with the braider and paying extra because of my length.. I just get sick. BKT is really cost effective for me, since I self apply. And I get to love my hair, to boot. :woohoo:

sheba1

I know it soaks in eventually. It just seems a little inappropriate to roll up to work that way.

Again, my hair was clearly moist but there was no actual white residue. That is something that was picked up between the camera and the lighting. And without any manipulation, at all, my hair was nearly dry and gorgeous in less than an hour.

Of course, if someone else wanted to dry their hair with a diffuser, I'm sure the process wouldn't take long, at all. It's just that I get up at 5am 4 days a week and hit the gym before work. I really don't have time dry and I don't find my hair to be offensive to others.

Last edited:

Titansgirl

Your curls are nice and full. Girl, I love the way you express your feelings toward the BKT treatment!! If I didn't already have one, I would probably get one just from your testimony!!!

Jetblackhair

Awww, you're so welcome. That's my hope, Jetblackhair, to share as much as possible since when I began researching the BKT for my hair type I found some info but not that much. And all the pics I saw were of flat ironed hair with the product still in. I want to share the other side of BKT. The super manageable Curlygirl side! :D

Your hair is drop dead gorgeous, by the way! Wow :yep:

Thanks Sheba1 for the compliment. :) Your hair is looking really healthy with the BKT and it looks thicker.
Do you think the BKT helps with thickness?

You look really happy and satisfied with your hair, I can use a dose of that right now. :yep:

yodie

Depends on who is defining inappropriate. It might be inappropriate where you work. Might be inappropriate to wear dreads to some jobs. Might be inappropriate to wear nappy, knotty hair to some jobs. "Inappropriate" is defined by the person who owns the hair and the person supplying the paycheck.

Some jobs require a more corporate structure, i.e., NY based Corporate America, where you have to wear skirts, suits, etc.

Some people/women, work or serve in the military where they wear their hair short or in a bun.

Some women work in construction and wear a hard hat all day with dungey clothes.

I'm sure women work in all facets of the working world and wear their hair however they deem appropriate.

So, it just goes back to the person defining "inappropriate."

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Gorgeous curls!!!

It's funny to see your coworker in the pic.....probably wondering what you were going. lol http://www.longhaircareforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36357&d=1245392914

Thanks for showing the other side of BKT. I have not flat ironed my entire head since I had BKT done on 4/23. I have only rollerset my hair or flat ironed my bangs to blend with some of my half wigs.

I love my BKT'd curls and am doing my 3rd treatment this weekend (at home not the salon this time).

sheba1

Very nice :) Love love love your curls!

Thank you!! :)

thanks so much for posting. I keep getting the urge to try it :)

You're very welcome. Definitely read up on it as much as you can before you take the plunge. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or pm me. I really love it... can you tell? :lol:

Your curls are nice and full. Girl, I love the way you express your feelings toward the BKT treatment!! If I didn't already have one, I would probably get one just from your testimony!!!

:lachen: I just can't help myself, Titansgirl! It's just afforded me so much freedom. I used to read about natural girls like flowergirl cowashing daily and would think :nono: my hair would have a fit! And the knots? And the detangling? Rinse daily but detangle once per week?? Say what?! :lachen: But now my hair is just like, "sure, I can do that... yep, all those things. No problem." :yep:

Thank you for your kind words

Beautiful curls.:yep: Do you get a lot of shrinkage or less with BKT?

Thank you so much, Laurend. I definitely get looser curls and less shrinkage. I still have plenty of shrinkage; my hair stretches to APL, but it's less than my pre-bkt'd hair, for sure.

sheba1

Thanks Sheba1 for the compliment. :) Your hair is looking really healthy with the BKT and it looks thicker.
Do you think the BKT helps with thickness?

You look really happy and satisfied with your hair, I can use a dose of that right now. :yep:

Thank you, Jetblackhair! My hair feels super healthy, also. I mean it's strong and shedding is reasonable and breakage and STKs are things of the past.

I'm not sure if it's the BKT that's helped my hair to fill out or the fact that I'm able to rinse and cowash with so much ease, now, that I do it almost daily. I've read other threads where they thought that daily cowashing helps the hair to get thicker.

Whatever the reason, I am really greatful. I think my hair is actually fuller and hanging longer than it did in my wash n go just under a month ago. Is it just me?

This is my wash n go from 5-28-09 just a few days after my third bkt.
2 wash n go.JPG

And this is the one from last night, a little over 3 weeks since my third bkt. Am I seeing things?
9b late night.jpg

Here's another from 5-28-09
1 wash n go.JPG

But yesterday, head on
5 partial dry.JPG

It might be my imagination, but my hair just feels and seems so much fuller to me, these days. It's still just as manageable as before. Just giving me great volume with a bit of hang time, too.

Last edited: