Poll- For Long Term Hair Health and Length: HOW OFTEN DO YOU WASH/COWASH?

For Long-term hair Health and Length, How often do you wash/cowash?

• Everyday of the week

Votes: 44 9.0%
  • Every Other Day

Votes: 54 11.0%
  • Twice A Week

Votes: 180 36.8%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 158 32.3%
  • Every Week and a 1/2

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • Every 3 Weeks

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • About 1-2 times Every 2 Mos.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

LovelyLionessa

This past winter, I've been washing 1x a week, using shampoo and deep conditioning. But with the weather warming up, I plan on washing 2-3x a week, 1x with shampoo and 1-2 co-washes thrown in for good measure. :)

tricie

I don't co-wash; my hair didn't like it. I pre-poo/wash/DC every 3-4 days since I put alot of moisturizers and oil in, and I don't want to be too greazzzy! ;)

Since I have cornrows in (I'll post pics soon), I spray them with African Pride Regular braid spray, Infusium 23 leave in, CD Tui Leave in Conditioner, and Kemi oyl 2-3 times a day (morning, after work, and in the evening).

imstush

I think I am going to follow some of the ladies technique. If I do cowash (1 or 2x's max) I am going to do so in one or two braids. And leave the shampoo and dc to once a week.
For less manipulation.

Last edited:

bablou00

Back to 2x a week. Wednes. and Sat or Sunday. I was going to try every other day but my NG is too much rt now. So less is best for me right now!!

Creatividual

For years I used to wash my hair once a week. 2 years ago I started washing every five days. I came to realize that my hair can build up very easily so a year ago I began washing my hair 2x a week, every Sunday and Thursday, and it works great for me. My hair is in much better health since I started washing it 2x a week.:p

I wash and DC every Sunday. I cowash 2x during the week, especially when I have alot of newgrowth. It makes it easier for me to stretch my relaxers out.

Seeking8Rights

I have never cowashed. I don't think my hair would like it, it seem like co-washing would create build-up. Do any of you cowashers have this? Just curious.

gone_fishing

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative but I'm curious. How does anyone manage to wash their hair once a month? Or once every three weeks?

Are these people natural, braided, or :confused:

I wash my hair twice - sometimes three times a week.

Daisimae

I wash and DC twice a week. I'm thinking about changing the second wash of the week to a co-wash, esp on my moisture intensive weeks.

Aussie

im new to this site. what does co-wash mean? and is there a thread with a list of the abbraviations for the words used on this site? would be really helpful

LovelyLionessa

im new to this site. what does co-wash mean? and is there a thread with a list of the abbraviations for the words used on this site? would be really helpful

co-wash= washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo

I think there is a sticky at the top of the forum of common abbreviations...

Welcome, Aussie! :bighug:

Aggie

Two - four times per week for me. I am in a DC challenge right now and it's growing my hair so I'll keep it up until I start wearing my sew-in protective styles. Then I will reduce the wash and DC-ing to once per week only.

Amelia456

I wash once a week, as well as dc once a week. I used to co wash when I lived in NYC but now I live in Albany, and unfortunately I have hard water. I am scared of allowing the water touch my hair everyday. I don't mind it during my weekly wash bc i always do an acv rinse, which is suppose to remove minerals and other junk left by hard water. But it's not good to acv rinse once a week. When my hair feels dry, I spray it with my purified water, conditioner, jojoba oil mixture.

LyndseyJK

I just read that dirty hair/unwashed strands absorb about 7 times as much harmful ozone--a gas that can cause you respiratory problems--as a freshly washed mane.

mahogany_horizons

I wash my hair twice a week. Twice a week with shampoo. However, on weeks when I'm stretching and need to encourage my hair to retain more moisture, I only lather with shampoo ONCE per wash. So I rinse my scalp really clean, shampoo, but only lather once. I also, only wash my scalp, as your hair is cleaned by the shampoo that runs down your scalp. Lastly I follow each with a deep conditioner of at least an hour. On saturdays I condition twice, once with a cholestorol or mayo if I need more protein, and then follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. If my hair has been feeling dry lately, I will also condition with heat on Saturday.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I wash 1x every 7 to 14 days now. At the beginning I used to wash 2x a week but then I cut down because I moved and the water is harder here and I do long stretches and I would rather just leave my hair be as much as possible. I also noticed that when I was washing 2x a week, one side of my hair was always thinner than the other. Since I started washing less frequently I'm not getting that problem anymore. Could be related, not sure...

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I luv cowashing..just wish my hair felt the same way:look:. When I start getting out of hand with cowashing my hair starts to break, but when I only cowash one or two times a week with Sunday being DC day, my hair thrives.