Poll- For Long Term Hair Health and Length: HOW OFTEN DO YOU WASH/COWASH?

For Long-term hair Health and Length, How often do you wash/cowash?

• Everyday of the week

Votes: 44 9.0%
  • Every Other Day

Votes: 54 11.0%
  • Twice A Week

Votes: 180 36.8%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 158 32.3%
  • Every Week and a 1/2

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • Every 3 Weeks

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • About 1-2 times Every 2 Mos.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

tbanae

Washing my hair daily works best for me. I've been doing the wash n go thing all summer. Seeing that I was swimming 3 or 4 times a week, my usual flat ironing routine didnt seem practical. My hair is actually growing faster. I suppose one could contribute that to the lack of heat, but also I think the daily washes/deep conditioning are helping out alot. After much trial and error I finally found the products that work best with my hair.

Pantene restoratives breakage defense POO/CO
Herbal essences, smoothing conditioner
Extra Virgin, organic coconut oil

Past shoulder length, moving quickly toward APL:)

Mestiza

On average, I wash my hair 3 - 4 times per week. It works great for my hair, which, remains clean and moisturized. When the temperature was hot, I did wash my hair everyday and loved it.

SqrpioQutie

when i'm wearing my hair airdried, i co-wash daily... i've been doing that since june of 05 and i've seen definite growth and benefits.... now that i'm rotating in the blowouts, i'm trying to see how long i can go w/out washing... so far i've made it a week...

inthepink

I don't co-wash anymore since I wear my hair straightened. I shampoo and condition weekly.

Pokahontas - How do you get your hair to last for two weeks? What styles do you wear? What do you do with it at night?

Proudpiscean

Twice a week now that it's getting cooler, one CW, one regular wash. When it was really hot I was CW 3-4 times a week- especially after a hard workout!

gradygirl

Ebonygurl00 said:
My hair hates me if I daily cowash. I tried it for almost a month, and it was BREAKAGE CITY. Never again!! I'm still figuring my wash schedule out, but I waited 6 days for the first time in a long time, and my hair was really dry and my scalp was itching like crazy. My hair needs the hydration of washing. I think my hair and scalp will be good with every 4-5 days.
My hair does the exact same thing. I'm going to start washing every 4 days.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
hairlove said:
I don't co-wash anymore since I wear my hair straightened. I shampoo and condition weekly.

Pokahontas - How do you get your hair to last for two weeks? What styles do you wear? What do you do with it at night?
For styles I usually just wear my boring ponytail everyday, sometimes i'll wear it down though. I used to wrap my hair at night but I had to cut back on that because I think it was thinning my right side so now I'll wrap it maybe 3 or 4 days out of the 2 weeks and the rest of the time I put it in a banded ponytail (a ponytail w/ bands going all the way down to the end) so it will be straight. If I want some bend to my hair I'll put it in a ponytail and one big pincurl. I always wear a scarf. As long as it's not humid my hair never reverts. Actually as the days go on it gets straighter and straighter. I don't see any breakage until I shampoo so that's why I shampoo every two weeks.

inthepink

Pokahontas...what about your roots? My length stays very straight and I have no problem with reversion there. But the middle of my head at the roots always reverts within a couple of days! It drives me nuts. If that didn't revert, I could go 2 weeks. Any tips?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
hairlove said:
Pokahontas...what about your roots? My length stays very straight and I have no problem with reversion there. But the middle of my head at the roots always reverts within a couple of days! It drives me nuts. If that didn't revert, I could go 2 weeks. Any tips?
My roots always stay straight, no problem there. I guess it's because I don't sweat in my head. Are you getting it completely straight when you flat iron it? I always make sure it's good and straight when I flat iron it and it usually stays that way. I don't do anything special to it except put it in a ponytail like I normally do. Sorry I couldn't help too much.

inthepink

Pokahontas said:
My roots always stay straight, no problem there. I guess it's because I don't sweat in my head. Are you getting it completely straight when you flat iron it? I always make sure it's good and straight when I flat iron it and it usually stays that way. I don't do anything special to it except put it in a ponytail like I normally do. Sorry I couldn't help too much.

Uggh, yep, that's my problem. I always sweat in my head overnight. Hopefully as the weather cools down I won't have as much of a problem with that.

leleepop

I voted twice a weeks but I'm on a bun challenge and when I bun I sometimes wash everyday and my hair loves it....also if I dont wash after 3 days or so my scalp itches like crazy.

Lady_Lioness

During the summer months...I co-washed twice during the week and shampooed & deep conditioned once on weekends...now since i've been so busy I'm not able to wash as often...now i'm back to once a week...My hair loves being wet quite often...my scalp never itches and my hair stayed moisturized.

shunta

Lady_Lioness said:
During the summer months...I co-washed twice during the week and shampooed & deep conditioned once on weekends...now since i've been so busy I'm not able to wash as often...now i'm back to once a week...My hair loves being wet quite often...my scalp never itches and my hair stayed moisturized.
LadyLioness, you have made great progress!! Your hair is absolutely beautiful. Ok, Im going back to go stalk your fotki :D

MizaniMami

shunta said:
LadyLioness, you have made great progress!! Your hair is absolutely beautiful. Ok, Im going back to go stalk your fotki :D

ISN"T IT THOUGH!!!! Lady_L girl you are doing the damn thing!

KittenLongPaw

Cichelle said:
I cowash every single day of the week. Been doing that for over a year, including the winter time and I my hair LOVES it. :) I have experimented with cowashing less and what I ended up with was something very similar to a rat's nest, with lots of knots and too much hair in the drain. I don't think I could use shampoo every day, though, unless it was a REALLY moisturizing one. I shampoo when needed and even then, I try to concentrate on the scalp as opposed to the ends.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes I'll skip a day, but I always pay for it with a rat's nest :)

firecracker

BlackCardinal said:
*singing* Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, EVEN ON SUNDAAAAAYYYY! Every day of the weeek!
:lol:

:lachen: :lachen: I remember that song. How are you? Yeah girly tell "yo momma" Latia/Firecracker said Hello and I miss her. :)

cmw45

Everyday...my hair LOVES it.:p :D But I may have to stop, b.c I got my hair cornrowed.:(

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
I wash my hair about 3 times a week, Tues, Thurs, and Sat. Depending on how i feel, I will do a CW either Mon or Fri. I wet my hair everyday.

londa70

When i first learned about cw's I went nuts. I would cw everyday until my hair started to get too mushy/too stretchy because I was using no protein:eek:as well . I also grew tired of damp hair all the time. Now, with the right protein balance, I've found that once midweek (if at all) is enough.

FAMUDva

Once a week for me... I can see myself going to once a week to once every 2 weeks when my hair is near or beyond BSL. I hope my thickness returns and with really thick hair (for me anyway), the less manipulation the better.

FAMUDva

BTW, I don't prescribe to the CW etc... I tried it when I came to LHCF, but to me it was a huge hassle with very little payoff.