Poll- For Long Term Hair Health and Length: HOW OFTEN DO YOU WASH/COWASH?

For Long-term hair Health and Length, How often do you wash/cowash?

• Everyday of the week

Votes: 44 9.0%
  • Every Other Day

Votes: 54 11.0%
  • Twice A Week

Votes: 180 36.8%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 158 32.3%
  • Every Week and a 1/2

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • Every 3 Weeks

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • About 1-2 times Every 2 Mos.

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

MizaniMami

How often do you wash or cowash? Do you think this is working for you or not? I just wanna know what you ladies are thinking. I am thinking about cutting down from every 3-4 days to every 5-7 days.

Ladies who do intensive water rinses only you can count that as a wash.

Last edited:

Catina72

Hey Mizani!! Well, when I first 'discovered' CW I went crazy, that was in May and up until July I would CW 3x per week AND regular wash 2x per week. Too much manipulation since I bun everyday too. So anywho, Aug I omitted the CW altogether and now I wash every 3 days and deep condition every Saturday. I think once it gets even chillier(maybe end of Oct) I will drop to 1x per week with poo and deep conditioning.

KiniKakes

I wash once a week, and co-wash MAYBE 3 days into this cycle. When i do, i co-wash with my hair in a braid..... and i dry it in this same braid. So there is no manipulation at all. I usually dont co-wash though.....

This 1x weekly wash seems to produce pretty good results for me. :)

silvergirl

i reg wash every other day
because if i wait longer ill have a huge tangled mess to deal with.
my hair loves water so when i washed the next day or every other day my shower brush/comb just slides through my hair with zero breakage

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I shampoo every two weeks, no co-washes in-between and it works excellent for me. I've been doing this way for a looooong time and I think it's the best way for me to retain length. When I shampoo I see the most breakage and shedding so that's why I choose to do it infrequently, also it cuts down on heat since I'm only heat styling twice a month.

angelita842002

I CO wash about 2x to 3xs a week which are my workout days. Usally do a deep conditioner with one of them too.Then Sundays are my clarifying/shampoo/deep conditioner/and protein treatment if needed days. My hair loves co washes!! OT just want to mention I did my first clarifying shampoo(EVER IN MY LIFE) this week and did a mayo treatment with africas best and my hair loved it. WOW!!!:D B4 I started taking care of my hair I would use so much gel and mousse and grease no wonder my hair was at a stand still it was all clogged up. LOL

Aveena

I acually rinse with water and then condition..not sure if that counts as co-wash about 1/3days and wash 1/week with deep condition.

JustKiya

Since folx are singing..... *LOL*

Never on Sunday,
Monday's too soon,
Tuesday & Wednesday,
Just won't do,
Thursday & Friday,
Weekend begins,
but my saturday wash I never miss.............suga!

*LOL*

I cowash once a week, lightly rinse my twists 3x a week.

Cichelle

I cowash every single day of the week. Been doing that for over a year, including the winter time and I my hair LOVES it. :) I have experimented with cowashing less and what I ended up with was something very similar to a rat's nest, with lots of knots and too much hair in the drain. I don't think I could use shampoo every day, though, unless it was a REALLY moisturizing one. I shampoo when needed and even then, I try to concentrate on the scalp as opposed to the ends.

Cichelle

nappywomyn said:
Since folx are singing..... *LOL*

Never on Sunday,
Monday's too soon,
Tuesday & Wednesday,
Just won't do,
Thursday & Friday,
Weekend begins,
but my saturday wash I never miss.............suga!

*LOL*

I cowash once a week, lightly rinse my twists 3x a week.

:lol:

Now thanks to you and Black Cardinal, I'll be in synagogue tonight singing that song in my head!!!!

Wishin4BSL

I didn't vote because I wash whenever my hair says "Hey you down there! I'm not doing so good....":lol: I have no idea how often that is. Sometimes my hair just feels hard and dry even after moisturizing and sealing, so I just wash it. I never CW. It makes my scalp itch really bad. CWing for me is just like using grease or oil on my scalp. It itches the mess out of me!

BrownSkin2

I co wash 2x per week and deep condition 2x per week as well. My hair is very, very dry and this helps it alot and my hair loves water.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I voted every 2 weeks but I always change from week to week. How often I wash depends on what hairstyle I'm wearing. ;)

buttaflye03

I usually wash every two weeks at the salon, but now that I'm trying to do my hair myself these days I'm switching to once a week. I wanted to wash tonight, but I need to buy some CPR first, my hair has been shedding a lot since my last relaxer.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
When the scalp is itchy and I fail the scratch 'n' sniff test, I wash. The scalp is boss--the hair just wants to be fed and left alone.

Qetesh

when i am pressing my hair out i will wait about 2 months b4 washing it.. may be nasty but i usually will give my scalp tea tree oil treatments which keep the itch down, once its starts to itch alot i wash it and flat iron again. i even work out with my hair straight and it doesnt revert.

when i dont straighten my hair its 1ce a week ot 1ce every week and i 1/2 i co wash and wash every 3 weeks or so.

this provides the best results for me, but it probably wouldnt hurt not to go 2 months between washing my hair.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've been co wasing daily since April and my hair loves it. I tried the once a week, once every 3 day thing, and my hair just dries up and tangles, so everyday co washes for me.

wadadligyal

Well when I first joined the site i was cowashing almost everyday however I'm only washing once a week now and it works out fine for me. less manipulation!!!!

MissM

Wow. I'm really shocked at how many people have the time to wash 2x per wk. I would never have time for that. I never thought I would be a bi-weekly washer, but I think my hair has really grown from doing this. Must be the less manipulation thing.

MzOptimistic

I mainly co wash once a week and shampoo and deep condition once a week but when my newgrowth comes in I co wash every 2 days. I don't know what I am going to do now that it is getting cold in regards to co washes because I do not want to get sick... but my hair needs to be co washed once I hit that 6 week mark....so right now I am trying to figure out what am I going to do in regards to co washing in the winter.

Ebonygurl00

My hair hates me if I daily cowash. I tried it for almost a month, and it was BREAKAGE CITY. Never again!! I'm still figuring my wash schedule out, but I waited 6 days for the first time in a long time, and my hair was really dry and my scalp was itching like crazy. My hair needs the hydration of washing. I think my hair and scalp will be good with every 4-5 days.