Poll: For Long-Term hair Health/Length: How long do you stretch? Why?

For Long-term hair Health/Length: How long do you stretch your relaxers?

• Every month (4 weeks) or less

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Every 5-7 Weeks

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • Every 8-10 weeks

Votes: 150 29.6%
  • Every 12-14 weeks

Votes: 168 33.1%
  • Every 14-16 weeks

Votes: 54 10.7%
  • Every 16-18 weeks

Votes: 32 6.3%
  • Every 5-8 mos

Votes: 43 8.5%
  • Every 9-12 mos

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • I just go with the flow

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • I don't stretch, I relax as soon as I find newgrowth

Votes: 4 0.8%

• Total voters

MzOptimistic

I am going to try to stretch for 12 weeks this time. I just did a retouch June 18 so I am going to try to stretch until August 11. This will be the first time for me stretching that long. The longest I have stretched was 9 weeks last time. I am going to wash and condition every 2 days and wear buns and phony ponies until December that will mark my 1 year mark.

Hair Peace

My last two stretches were 12 weeks, but this time I'm cutting it off at 10. My hair is just too thick and I'm starting to see breakage that's a little too long (demarcation line). I think my hair will be ok with only 10 weeks.

sareca

Right now I'm going to for 12 months, but that's just 'cause I'm desparately trying to get to below APL this year and 'cause I like my waves. After this stretch I will probably only stretch 12-16 weeks.

gradygirl

gradygirl said:
I'm trying to stretch to 10 weeks this time instead of 8. I do it to prevent overprocessing and the use of a chemicals as much as possible. Also, my hair is so much thicker than when I used to relax every 4 weeks.
I don't know ladies I washed last night at week 8 and I lost alot of hair. I did not take such good care of my hair last week so Im going to take extra good care of it this week and wash Thursday and see if that takes care of the hair loss and if that doesn't work than I'll relax that Sunday or Monday at 9 weeks instead of 10. Wish me luck.

rootdeep

I received my last perm on December 22nd 2005 and have been wearing my hair in protective styles since. I did this (1) at the time I had a bad amount of hair breakage going on and I know things like that can be genitic and I dont want my mothers bad hair genes (she perms EVERY 4 weeks faithfully :( ) (2) I figured since I was wearing falls as my protective styles why perm? It helped me to keep the heat out of my hair as well as to keep my HANDS out of my hair.

I plan on attempting these every winter...just not so long anymore. I'll go back to protective styles this winter to protect my nape and wear my hair out in the spring/summer months. We shall see. I get my hair permed on tomorrow.

crlsweetie912

CantBeCopied said:
I usually stretch 16-18 weeks but, this time, I was trying to make it to 20 or 22 weeks. However, I am currently in week 12, and my new growth is really dense and thick and I am concerned about how it will be at the 16 week mark. I am having problems doing minor buns and I don't like to do too much combing and brushing when it's wet.

I stretch 16-18 wks and would like to increase that time length because I believe it is healthier for my scalp and entire body to reduce the amounts of time I ingest (through the scalp) the harmful chemicals from a relaxer. Y'all do remember that black women are taking in that stuff into our blood streams right? Relaxing 4x's a year is a huge improvement over relaxing 8-10 x's a year. I want to cut that down even more if I can figure out how to look lovely with two drastically different textures going on simultaneously.

Also, it's best for my already processed hair. Easier to distinguish between new growth and previously relaxed hair so that I don't overlap as much. Keeps me from breaking down my hair bonds even more. STRETCHING IS THE TRUTH!

CBC, I can't believe u put that in your siggy!

LOL

crlsweetie912

sareca said:
Right now I'm going to for 12 months, but that's just 'cause I'm desparately trying to get to below APL this year and 'cause I like my waves. After this stretch I will probably only stretch 12-16 weeks.

Sareca, ever thought about going natural? I my hair had that type of even, uniform curl pattern, I would stretch 1 year too! Your hair is AWESOME!

ETA: I voted 12-14 because that was what my last stretch was for. But this time around, I don't know if I can make it. With all of the vitamins and growth aids, I look like buckwheat. I don't know if I can make it. Right now I am at 9 almost 10 weeks. You can't tell in this picture, but I had to twist these babys within an inch of their life to get it to lay down.

Last edited:
Front section: I stretch every 12 weeks to avoid overlapping.

Back section: I haven't relaxed back there for 26 weeks. Not sure when I'm going to relax. I might just keep flatironing that section after I relax the front.

gradygirl

gradygirl said:
I don't know ladies I washed last night at week 8 and I lost alot of hair. I did not take such good care of my hair last week so Im going to take extra good care of it this week and wash Thursday and see if that takes care of the hair loss and if that doesn't work than I'll relax that Sunday or Monday at 9 weeks instead of 10. Wish me luck.
I got the same amount of hair loss this week too so I guess 8 weeks will be my cut off point. I really wanted to relax every 10 but it seems like these last 2 weeks I've done more harm than good.

punchinella

I have 5 wks left in my 16 wk stretch. I am doing it to minimize overlapping. I don't think I would have made it without LHCF because my hair was breaking and shedding terribly when I first came here. My relatives were telling me it was because I needed a touch up.
Now I know better, because I have upped my moisture, went back to my trusty garlic shampoo and conditioner, and little or no heat among other things and now I have very little hair loss and my hair is more managable.
The only downside for me is the longer I stretch the more products I buy (serious PJ).

cocowhite

I stretch anywhere from 12-16 weeks. I been stretching a relaxer every since I was teenager and that was because I just didn't have the money like a stylists would recommend. So stretchings is natural but done with a better knowledge of how to take of care of my hair while doing it.

gemini051987

I am currently transitioning from permaed hair to natural. I love how my natural hair is coming in. My ends are damaged and they have to be chopped off! Anyway, I was wondering if I should get a touch up. If I don't then my hair will just fall out because I have two types of hair texture on my head. Should I get braids? Someone help me!

southie20

I stretch 8 to 10 weeks between my relaxers. I have found that if I stretch longer, it has a negative impact on my hair. My hair is extremely soft and fine, and I have a lot of hair. So if I go loner than 8 to 10 weeks, my hair will get extremely tangled and I will not be able to wash it without most of it comming out. I learned this the hard way about 6 months ago. (I am considering getting a relaxer and waiting 2 months then getting braids for about 3 months. That way I can stretch for 5 months. I used to get braids all the time and I found that my hair grows alot faster with braids. However, I haven't had braids for about 7 years so, I am still pondering the idea.):perplexed

daedae157

i usually get a touch-up about every 12 weeks, but i do relax my roots straight. i like my hair wavy/curly, but i NEED my roots to be straight! lol i only get a touch-up four times a year. i learned from sylver2 (one of my many hair inspirations :) ) that it's a good idea to stretch for a looonnnggg time at least once a year. this year (starting at the end of august), i am going to stretch for 18 weeks. i am going to do individual braids without extensions for two weeks and then wash/condition. i'll repeat that schedule till the end of the year. while my hair is in the braids i'll spray MNT braid sheen spray, MNT leave-in conditioner, and use olive/carrot oil creme (on my ends) twice a day. i'll also apply dr.miracle's temple/nape growth balm once every other day. i am expecting to be full bra-strap length by the end of the year.

ps. for the ladies who say they get a lot of breakage along their hairline/nape/temple area when you're trying to stretch, i would suggest you use dr.miracle's temple/nape growth balm ;) i use it on ALL my clients hair and my mom and i use it, and we have ALL had great results! it really IS a miracle! lol

i find their ads/commercials VERY offensive, but hey at least they not using false advertisement! :)

glamazon386

I initially started stretching to 12 weeks before I had even found this board. I've been stretching since 2004. The real reason was because I was broke. I'm not gonna lie. College was hittin my pockets. So I held out as long as I could. After I did it the first time I was like hey this isn't so bad and continued to do so. My hair was usually in a quick weave anyway. Now I do so more out of habit. And my hair is weaved most of the time so it's better to not relax. My hair dresser suggested that I not do both. The new growth will help the cornrows hold better. It's been working for me. I didn't start to see my hair growing after the cut and damage in 03 until I started stretching. My last stretch was 22 weeks I believe. I'm trying to do it again. I've gotten accustomed to wearing my hair in more wavy or curly styles. I'm not feeling the straight look anymore. I think curls and waves compliment my features better. Maybe by then I won't want to relax anymore. I'm loving the texture of my new growth right about now. I'll be on week 15 starting saturday.

goldensensation

I normally go 3-4 months, but the longest that I have ever went was a year. I just bunned and didnt know half of the things that I know now.

MizaniMami

goldensensation said:
I normally go 3-4 months, but the longest that I have ever went was a year. I just bunned and didnt know half of the things that I know now.

How did your hair react to this??? I am thinking of relaxing about 1-3 times a year!

punchinella

As I said in my earlier post I stretch to avoid overlapping because no matter how careful you are the two textures meet at some point and you are going to get some of the relaxer on the previously relaxed hair. So I had to decide how many times a year I wanted this to happen. I have gone from overlapping 13 times a year to 3 times a year. However I might relax at 12 weeks next time since the weather will be getting colder by that time and the more I stretch the more I have to wet my hair. Plus I have gone beyond my 16 wk mark already.

I have created my own little relaxer chart:
Weeks in a year divided by weeks you get a relaxer equals times a year you relax.

For example when I used to get my hair relaxed every 4 wks I thought that I was only getting touch ups 12 times a year but in reality it was 13.

52 ÷ 4 = 13

you can round it off:

every 6 wks = 8.6
every 8 wks = 6.5
every 10 wks = 5.2
every 12 wks = 4.33
every 14 wks = 3.71
every 16 wks = 3.25
every 18 wks = 2.8
every 20 wks = 2.6
and so forth and so on… ;)

I know too much "hair" time on my hands:D

Last edited:

FAMUDva

I stretch 10-12 weeks because I tried transitioning and didn't have very good benefits :perplexed . I transitioned/ stretched for 10 mons and in the end need a deep trim and lost at least 2 inches and was almost back to where I was when I started the transition. Yes, I trimmed in between that 10 mons too.

At any rate, my hair is thinner now than ever:ohwell:. I used to stretch 6-8 wks when I started LHCF, so I think I'm doing great now at 10-12 wks. I'm not having any problems and since I'm going to texlaxed, it is a better fit for me, my hair, and my lifestyle.

Tee

punchinella said:
As I said in my earlier post I stretch to avoid overlapping because no matter how careful you are the two textures meet at some point and you are going to get some of the relaxer on the previously relaxed hair. So I had to decide how many times a year I wanted this to happen. I have gone from overlapping 13 times a year to 3 times a year. However I might relax at 12 weeks next time since the weather will be getting colder by that time and the more I stretch the more I have to wet my hair. Plus I have gone beyond my 16 wk mark already.

I have created my own little relaxer chart:
Weeks in a year divided by weeks you get a relaxer equals times a year you relax.

For example when I used to get my hair relaxed every 4 wks I thought that I was only getting touch ups 12 times a year but in reality it was 13.

52 ÷ 4 = 13

you can round it off:

every 6 wks = 8.6
every 8 wks = 6.5
every 10 wks = 5.2
every 12 wks = 4.33
every 14 wks = 3.71
every 16 wks = 3.25
every 18 wks = 2.8
every 20 wks = 2.6
and so forth and so on… ;)

I know too much "hair" time on my hands:D

awh punchinella. I think your chart is cute. I never took the time to do the math so thanks. *I am glad you had extra hair time on your hands.*;)

I was relaxing every 4-5 weeks because I thougth I had to. When I'd see my mom, she'd run her fingers thru my hair and say, "looks like you need a touch up" just because my new growth was wavy. Since joining this board, I am going to attempt to stretch to 8 weeks then to 12 then possibly to 16. I don't have to relax my hair very often I just did it to get the waves out of my hair so I could style my hair alot better. But since I've been getting rollersets/wraps, my hair has come out straight and I don't have to blowdry my roots, I just continually brush my hair with a paddle brush and use Keracare conditioning hairdress and that does pretty good in my hair. I am so glad I joined this board because I have been taught some bad habits concerning my hair, even in beauty school. They don't teach you to stretch relaxers or to limit the heat. Let me stop before I go on a hair tantrum:lachen:

winterinatl

All natural!
I relax when I feel my new growth is a bit out of control for me, but really, it's the that plus the whole hair shaft feels a hot mess. When it gets super tangly and all that then I'm ready to relax. About 4 times a year.

OneInAMillion

For my own hair health, the less I relax the better. I'm at month 5 now, and rollersetting is not a problem. Last month I struggled with tangling, but I found products that worked (Sedal, Sunsilk mixtures) and two useful techniques (1.) I started lathering once when I washed and (2.) prepooing with a protein conditioner.

IF I continue to relax in the future, 2x a year will be my maximum. The longer I stretch, the healthier my hair gets. I'm really debating about going natural right now, but transitioning for a long time. We'll see :look: .