Not so new newbie: Is going natural the new hot trend?

MonPetite

I don't care to call it a "fad". I like looking the way my genetics intended and I don't intend to "change it up" anytime soon.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I wouldn't call it a trend per se. I would call it natural hair awareness. A natural-haired woman is speaking volumes without even opening her mouth. She may inspire others on the bus, train or even while jogging without even knowing it. And those woman she inspired may be doing the same to other ladies with their TWA, or puff, or whichever way they are rocking their natural. I don't doubt that some are doing it to become a trend-setter but I suspect more are doing it because they are overcoming the false idea that natural hair isn't beautiful or easy to manage. :)

I am going to BC (with clippers) in the 2nd/3rd week of November. Natural ladies, here I come.

LovinLea

yeah, i would say it is. every where i go i see another woman with a TWA. i see a few BCs everyday.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Yes, I think it is a trend, but I think that more and women women are seeking healhy hair in general and many people that I talk to want to get away from relaxing so often. I texturize for that reason.

Last edited:

melodies815

I think it's a trend in that many women with ethnic hair are starting to love how they are made from head to toe.

I don't think it's a trend that is also a fad...which could probably go away at some point. ITA with other posters who have noted that it's an awareness that natural is not unkempt but rather is a part of many peoples' choice to live a healthier, more chemical-free lifestyle.

Having a black president helps too...:hide:

cj

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't think it's a trend. It's just that when you make that decision to go natural, you start to actually notice women with natural hair. I know that happened with me back in 2004/2005. Before then, I thought ALL Black women relaxed their hair no matter how it looked. But when I actually learned about natural chemical free hair here at LHCF, I started recognizing natural hair more.

Geminigirl

I don't know I can only speak for myself. My descion to go natural was not based on a trend but on the simple fact that I saw people on youtube and I would how their hair would shrink up and they could stretch to a length you wouldn't even expect. Also watching them moisturize their hair. I also wanted to go natural cause I was tired of thin limp relaxed hair and all that came with it. I wanted thick hair with versatility so I cut.

I can't wait to move back to MD. Natural hair is so much more accepted there.

I did see quite a few naturals when I was working in Dallas but where I live I don't see any. I see the same weaved up dry thirsty relaxed hair..that is the sad norm.

mswoman

Whoo hoo!!! I think it's a new trend and I think that we on this board helped set it.... After I did my BC many people at my church did it too. I noticed last week that the lady across the street did the BC too and has stopped wearing her wig. I am sooo excited because the wig was burnt gold with brown streaks.

discodumpling

Many people black, white whatever are simply moving towards a collective conciousness of a healthy being. When you know better you do better. After educating myself about the damage I was doing with chems how could I continue to self abuse like that?

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
I don't know I can only speak for myself. My descion to go natural was not based on a trend but on the simple fact that I saw people on youtube and I would how their hair would shrink up and they could stretch to a length you wouldn't even expect. Also watching them moisturize their hair. I also wanted to go natural cause I was tired of thin limp relaxed hair and all that came with it. I wanted thick hair with versatility so I cut.

I can't wait to move back to MD. Natural hair is so much more accepted there.

I did see quite a few naturals when I was working in Dallas but where I live I don't see any. I see the same weaved up dry thirsty relaxed hair..that is the sad norm.

Yeah there is some dry thirst weave walking around DFW. DFW is usually behind on whatever "trend" the rest of the country is following. Houston seems to be more on board w/ Natural hair, they way many more salons catering towards it.

Celestial

I think it's a trend. There was a time you would never come across black women in their natural hair unless it was "good". Though I see more relaxed heads and weave wearers I still will come across a natural at least once a week and to me that is progress.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
"Wisdom is the ability to make decisions now that you will be satisfied with in the future" This quote is the reason I decided to go natural, and make a few other changes in my personal life. Not trends.

Widom
-Accumulated knowledge or erudition or enlightenment
-The trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight
-The quality of being prudent and sensible

BostonMaria

I can't speak for everyone, but this isn't a fad for me. I have no intention of relaxing my hair ever again. On my mom's side of the family we all have natural hair. I see so many natural haired ladies in Boston and Cambridge that its inspiring.

I think people are more aware that relaxers are not the only option. Now we have gels, mousse, styling products, flat irons, BKT, etc. Back in the 70s all we had was Vaseline and cheap conditioners.

Renewed1

I think its a trend similiar to when straight hair was a trend. Don't be surprise if you start seeing other races, mimicking the curly look.

EccentricRed

I'm sure there are a few reasons. I'm sure there are a few ladies that are doing it to make a major change in their lives, in more of a fashion-forward sense. I think that some are just doing it to start over. I know for myself, it was just more productive for my hair to flourish. It was just a trip that I saw so many natural heads in one day.

PinkSkates

I can't speak for everyone, but this isn't a fad for me. I have no intention of relaxing my hair ever again. On my mom's side of the family we all have natural hair. I see so many natural haired ladies in Boston and Cambridge that its inspiring.

I think people are more aware that relaxers are not the only option. Now we have gels, mousse, styling products, flat irons, BKT, etc. Back in the 70s all we had was Vaseline and cheap conditioners.

Exactly what she said! :yep:

Vonnieluvs08

I think its part of a lifestyle change. In order for some of us to feel truly healthy then we need to be healthy from head to toe and natural hair is part of that.

If you came to my church you would think that you had to be natural to attend, that it was a trend. I would say about 90-95% of the female members wear there hair in its natural state (TWA, BA, short locs, long locs, etc) and this is seen in both the young and old members. I know some ppl that have natural hair but you would never know because they always have it in a protective style and if it is out then its straigthen.

I will be natural for the rest of my life. Peer pressure and the need to fit in and be accepted was why I relaxed in the first place. I no longer feel the need to be anyone except myself. I loved my curls as a child and I will love them again as an adult.

Stiletto_Diva

In December 2007 I had to do a project on black hair for my trend forecasting class. I predicted that in Spring 2009 more black woman would be going natural. I thing it has a lot to do with people in general wanting to be more green and have healthier practices over all.

Jun 2008 I did my BC and a lot of my friends were either already natural or have become natural since then. I definitely don't see it as a fad. I think that it has become more acceptable to be seen with natural hair without being looked down upon. Just like another thread on here mentioned, there are starting to be more commercials and such showing women of color with their natural 4 type hair and locs. I for one am happy that other people are starting to realize that afro textured hair does not need to be straightened to be fierce.