Natural hair - passing trend or here to stay?

I think "going natural" is . . .

• . . . a passing trend

Votes: 56 25.6%
  • . . . here to stay!

Votes: 163 74.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KurlyNinja

I believe that right now it is a fad, but except this time around with the natural hair fad its going to be more people who stick with it than before. There is way too many products now and information that is easily available.

*CherryPie*

I think it's mainly a trend. But there's always going to be some who stays natural. I can't help but to stay natural...whether I like it or not, because my scalp was affected by the relaxers. So I can't go back.

Just look at THIS board. Naturals are relaxing at a high rate lately.

EbonyCPrincess

I think going natural, twa, transitioning movement as a "big deal" is a fad. It's the new thing that a person can learn form scratch if they never tried it, tried it but didn't stick with it or tried it a long time ago and want to try it again. Once people learn their natural hair as just hair it becomes just another option like braids, pressing, a perm or color. I think the fad is the process and the extra hype people associate with it right now.

Exactly what I was going to attempt to say, but wouldn't have been able to so well! lol

claud-uk

To be quite honest I'm all natural haired out. People are just going way too hard for my liking which is making it feel like a fad.

I don't understand this comment? There's a lot more to successfully managing a healthy head of natural hair than there is to slapping on a relaxer and settling for NL or SL hair - so few naturals are alike with regards to type/texture etc that overcoming a particular problem is often down to time, trial and error, setbacks and more time. We have to learn our hair, learn what suits it's particular idiosyncracies, learn what it likes and doesn't... It's not as simple as "making sure to use regular protein" like it is with relaxers. If I've read you wrong or misinterpreted you please feel free to set the record straight.

I don't think it's going anywhere. Same for perms, relaxers and texturizing. Something someone will always be rocking.

I agree with this, I think it's going to be one of the staple options we have alongside relaxers/texturizers etc.

Hurt by the ladies feel that being natural (ie wearing our hair the way we were born with) is a fad. Aborigines, Ethiopians, Somalis and many other races for the most part wear their (mostly naturally curly) hair natural... no fad there.

Boujoichic

I think natural hair really is trendy right now. I have a friend who big chopped a couple weeks ago and then relaxed over weekend. I see people going natural all around me and for some women I think its a revelation they love their hair and wouldn't imagine relaxing again, some I think will go back after the fashion changes. I've been chemical free for a little over 3 years and I love my hair I have everything that I was looking for thicker stronger hair my scalp no longer flakes or has scabs and being able to wash and go is so easy I love my curlies.

Last edited:

melissa-bee

I remember when I went natural in 2000, there were only a few hair boards so everyone sort of knew each other. Even back then people were saying that natural hair was a fad and that folks would be on to the next thing soon enough. Well, 12 years later and the "fad" has grown even bigger. It's not going anywhere.

I have nothing against straight hair but there really is nothing cuter than a little girl with a huge afro puff or big twists/ braids. And I would gets such a kick out of seeing our teenage girls rocking big fluffy fros and waist-length twists and twist-outs. Again, nothing against straight hair. It just saddens me that many of us don't see the beauty and potential in a feature that is almost uniquely ours.

*Drools at the mention of waist length twists*

dyh080

If by "natural" you use the new definition, which is anything but chemicals, then it is nothing new. It's always been here. Women were "natural" and hot combed the life out of their hair before the relaxers became vogue. So all or most women were natural until the introduction of chemicals decades later.

If, however, you use the original definition, nappy hair, then I would have to say it is a trend, as it was in the '60s-70s. Already some of the nappy heads are "transitioning" back to straight hair.

LuvlyRain3

claud-uk said:
I don't understand this comment? There's a lot more to successfully managing a healthy head of natural hair than there is to slapping on a relaxer and settling for NL or SL hair - so few naturals are alike with regards to type/texture etc that overcoming a particular problem is often down to time, trial and error, setbacks and more time. We have to learn our hair, learn what suits it's particular idiosyncracies, learn what it likes and doesn't... It's not as simple as "making sure to use regular protein" like it is with relaxers. If I've read you wrong or misinterpreted you please feel free to set the record straight.

Yeah claud-uk you read me wrong. It feels like people are using natural hair a a persona crutch. Especially younger naturals. It seems like a lot of people are going natural to feel unique or to fit in to something thats unique. I am natural and when I see people putting so much emphasis on a few strands it's too much. My opinion about hair in general has not changed since becoming natural. It's just hair. As soon as some of them start to feel like one of many they will be on to the next thing to make them feel unique.

My cousin even lied about being natural for months until my older sister called her out on Facebook. After that she actually bcd and now she is all about natural hair.

Also whether you are relaxed or natural there is still a lot to learn when it comes to growing and maintaining natural hair. I think it's great when people want to learn about hair but that's not what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

AFashionSlave

the relaxer was the fad. doing what's natural to you, is well, natural. So the relaxer fad is reversing and more and more women are done with that fad or trend.

Just another way to looking at it.

Bella It's already happening. In Japan and Korea, the young people are getting something called the afro perm. They are already rocking locs, and fros over there. Google it and check out the images.

http://expatjane.blogspot.com/2007/07/afro-braid-and-dread-wearing-koreans-i.html

Lynnerie

I think it's mainly a trend. But there's always going to be some who stays natural. I can't help but to stay natural...whether I like it or not, because my scalp was affected by the relaxers. So I can't go back.

Just look at THIS board. Naturals are relaxing at a high rate lately.

This right here. Those who have a reason for going natural like sensitive scalp, will remain natural.

Those who went natural because everyone was doing it probably won't stay natural cause as soon as they find out their hair isn't what they thought it would be or when they can't get that sleek style they will go right back to the crack.:lol:

One thing I hope is that no matter what choice black women will take better care of their hair. My relaxed hair today is much healthier than the relaxed hair I had prior to going natural.

frizzy

Here to stay...nuff said...

ETA--but I will say, I think this because the pressure we previously needed and put on ourselves to conform is over, natural hair has gained acceptance and we love a beautiful, well groomed natural head!

Last edited:

30something

Here to stay only because it's not really a trend or fad it is more of a health issue for some. Now if there was no hair health benefits to not relaxing and being natural I think it would not have as much a staying power. I'm natural because my relaxed hair was unhealthy no matter what I did, going back is really not a choice.

glamazon386

I was talking with my bestie yesterday about how natural hair is now "trendy" . . . she's been natural for years and was ecstatic when I went natural.

Anyhoo, during our conversation I wondered aloud whether "going natural" was just a passing trend and we'd all be running to relax again in another few years. She said no - because this time around we have more information about how to care for natural hair as well as more products to help us in doing so.

Now I know for me, the change was moreso about the health of my hair/scalp and just wanting to "try and see" what my hair could do . . . I am not one of those people who says "I'll never relax again" but knowing what I do now about relaxers and all of the chemicals . . . probably not. But who knows.

Your thoughts???

I think it's here to stay. People are moving toward a more green way of life without unnecessary chemicals.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
It's a fad for most but not all. I wish healthy hair practices are here to stay be it, relaxed, natural, texlaxed, weave or braids.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

kandake

What I really want to see is whites, asians, and latinas jack up their hair textures in order to rock fros, puffs, locs, and kinky twists. I'd like to see them spend millions upon millions trying to achieve what's naturally ours. For once.

Because it has now taken over as the new standard of beauty.

That would be awesome.

There's a subset of Asian culture that styles their hair like us.

This blog shows examples.
http://afroetic.com/2011/10/09/the-asian-afro-braids-and-more/

There's a youtube video but I'm at work and can't post the link.

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

Again as mentioned upthread, I think the going-hard-ed-ness is going to fade away. But the notion of being natural and having tons of options for healthy hair without the need for a relaxer... that's here to stay.

HanaKuroi

Didn't we wear our hair chemical free until the 70's? All those years we wore our natural hair pinned/braided down or a press and curl. Relaxers were big in the 80's and weaves and braids around the same time. I see those more as fads. It seems now we are going back to our roots. Pun intended.

FoxxyLocs

I can't speak for other naturals. I've had no desire to relax since I went natural. When my hair became to much to handle I wore locs rather than get a relaxer. I'd wear them again or go back to a twa before I would get another relaxer.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Here to stay for me, even though I am experiencing a major setback right now...
But if I was able to grow it to this length, I'm sure that I can get it back here. It's been a journey and there have been some tearful moments, but I think once I cut and hide my hair for the winter, I will be back next summer wild and free!

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
It started out as a trend, but I think it's here to stay for a large number of us. Just as others have stated, the cat is out of the bag now in terms of the wealth of info on the net. Personally, I haven't considered going back to relaxing at all in 3 years. Being natural is just too dang easy for me. I'm not anti-relaxer for those who choose to relax because it's a personal choice. I think for those of us that are returning to relaxing after experiencing their natural hair, it was just a fad for them IMO.

Britt

I do think it's in the thing to do, but I honestly hope it's here to stay. I think it's a healthy fad. It find it refreshing to see natural heads. This wknd I went to a bbq/party w/ my SO and I noticed several natural heads in there it was very refreshing! Even my SO asked me if it's a fad b/c he says he sees chicks talking about it on FB and twitter. Initially, I thought it was mainly a trend on the forums and online hair communities but that's not the case. I've seen several ppl on my FB go natural, a college associate of mine just recently cut off her permed hair and although she's addicted to weaves still she said her natural hair is much stronger than her relaxed hair, just people who I'd think wouldn't go natural are opting to stop relaxing their hair and if anything become straight hair naturals if they choose to wear their hair mostly straight.

D.N.A.

The hype will die down, as the overzealous new converts mellow out, but I think we'll be seeing more and more people opting to no longer use relaxers as info on natural hair care becomes more accessible. It's now being presented as another practical option to care for and wear your hair as opposed to being something limited to people within a certain subculture.

MsDee14

For those that follow trends and like to do what everyone else is doing... yes, it's a passing trend.

For those that are going natural for other reasons, I believe it's here to stay.

It saddens me that going back to our God given hair texture is a trend for some ladies, but oh well.

Last edited: