Natural hair - passing trend or here to stay?

I think "going natural" is . . .

• . . . a passing trend

Votes: 56 25.6%
  • . . . here to stay!

Votes: 163 74.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i think the "natural hair as my religion, i go hard all day erryday" thing will fade out and it'll just become like any other way to wear one's hair.
it's already pretty normal on this campus, not really seen as a big deal. what a difference between when i wore my fro as a freshman and now.

newbeginnings2010

For me I think it's a passing trend. I definitely want to experience being natural for possible five or so years, but I will probably go back to being relaxed at some point.

ctosha

Personally for myself its not a trend I decided to go natural about 4 to 5 years ago just because I was bored with my permed hair and didn't want to spend the entire day at a hair salon. I like having options either to wear it straight or curly without the commitment.

greenandchic

I think its here to stay.

Like what a few others have pointed out, we have soooo much more info, knowledge, products, techniques, styles, and acceptance in our communities and in the outside world (workplace, etc), that we don't "need" go to back.

As a lifelong natural, and like what AFashionSlave pointed out, we did not have any resources or decent products for loose hair naturals. If you were natural, you were either locked, forever in a TWA or a straight haired natural as I was most of the time. Summers were brutal because I had long, thick natural hair and as a swimmer, I did not have a clue how to care for my hair. By the time I we back to school in the fall, I was back to having my hair pressed after dealing with chlorine damage.

For me, early curly/kinky hair pioneers like Dee Coily, Lorraine Massey, Carols Daughter's Lisa Price (for products other than Pink Oil, Lets Jam and Blue Magic) really helped me realize there was more to natural hair than what I was taught.

I think going natural, twa, transitioning movement as a "big deal" is a fad. It's the new thing that a person can learn form scratch if they never tried it, tried it but didn't stick with it or tried it a long time ago and want to try it again. Once people learn their natural hair as just hair it becomes just another option like braids, pressing, a perm or color. I think the fad is the process and the extra hype people associate with it right now.

I agree! It's a fad for some, but thats a good thing! I went natural because I was fed up and DH ( SO at the time :spinning:) made me angry enough to literally chop off all my darn hair! But before that I had been relaxed for as long as I could remember. I was surprised and pleased to note that I already had "straw set" like curls ( which were in at the time):yep:

How many girls or young women today didn't know what the hair growing out of their heads looked like? How many 20 somethings ( and ladies of all ages) have discovered that they don't have to relax at the first sign of new growth or have discovered( and are learning to be accept) that their hair is ok the way it is? Even if it is a fad, it is one that I think we benefit from.

cutiebe2

I am natural because 1. I went bald the one time I got a perm and 2. I don't like the smell of chemicals

I can see how some are just doing it for style for I think another group will be natural to stay.

gn1g

older folks are natural in an attempt to save their hair
young folks are doing to rebel. yes rebel against assimulation.

LovelyNaps26

all my life i went to the ethnic hair care aisle in cvs/walgreens and saw pretty much the same stuff. now, there's like a few boxes of relaxers and a whole bunch of curly friendly items.

i think hair blogs, even the popular ones, will fade away in 5-10 years. i don't think the trend is really going anywhere. i think all the women going natural won't relax their daughter's hair and will know how to take care of it such that APL and beyond hair will be normal among black women in 20 years.

manter26

all my life i went to the ethnic hair care aisle in cvs/walgreens and saw pretty much the same stuff. now, there's like a few boxes of relaxers and a whole bunch of curly friendly items.

i think hair blogs, even the popular ones, will fade away in 5-10 years. i don't think the trend is really going anywhere. i think all the women going natural won't relax their daughter's hair and will know how to take care of it such that APL and beyond hair will be normal among black women in 20 years.

It would be awesome if there were more young women who could say they never had a relaxer.

I see both arguments to this being a trend. Personally, I wish I had never relaxed my hair. I had no idea a hairdryer and hot comb could get my hair straight. I said I want straight hair and my mom relaxed it. In middle school a friend of mine hair her type 3 curls straightened and explained to me that all she used was a blow dryer.

There are still a lot of women who still have some hang up about their own natural hair and still expect shiny curls and will probably never accept kinks and naps. It is really trendy to be natural and obsess over it. I was on facebook when someone asked another girl 'how far along are you?' :lol: She was speaking about transitioning but the whole notion sounded funny. When the hype simmers down I think a lot (hopefully most) will stay natural.

Browniee

I think it's here to stay.
I mean i know for me atleast, when i see healthy natural hair, it just gives me the drive to be like damn, you know what i want that too. And also, i feel that there's more information out there, and as a society, i feel we're becoming more able to accept natural hair. And if all of that fails, there's always a couple cheap cats, who just don't have the money for relaxer/or texurizers.

karenjoe

How many girls or young women today didn't know what the hair growing out of their heads looked like? How many 20 somethings ( and ladies of all ages) have discovered that they don't have to relax at the first sign of new growth or have discovered( and are learning to be accept) that their hair is ok the way it is? Even if it is a fad, it is one that I think we benefit from.

Me!!:grin: I was fascinated to see my natural hair curly & soft..... I forgot...:perplexed

MystiqueBabe

I think with most black women they realize the dangers and possible long-term effects of using relaxers. All the information is there. Also the realization that no one has to slap caustic chemicals on their hair and that going natural is an option. I am now seeing more natural heads when I go out. If you are a trendy type of gal then overtime you will probably go back to relaxing once everyone gets bored with natural hair. Then you have those women who say natural hair isn't for them so they go back to relaxing.

For me it is here to stay. I have only relaxed my hair steadily for around 2 years and it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I am 100% sure that I will never relax my hair again. Relaxers have never worked for me so I quit. I am not following the crowd, don't care what anyone says or thinks, and I am not a trendy person (I could careless) I just want my hair's health & length back.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
God...after hanging out in Manhattan yesterday, I Hope and Pray being natural never goes out of style! I'm begining to think only LHCF Ladies have their relaxer game on lock, because yesterday was like a parade of chewed up, and thin relaxed hair....and I definitely wanted to pour a lil out for some ladies edges. :nono: I saw one girl with about 1/4 of her hair at SL, but the bulk was closer to EL, and the whole ashy mess was as see-through as lace curtains. :look:

Country gal

I definitely agree with the bolded. I know plenty of natural mothers will be keeping their daughters natural instead of throwing them into the relaxed pool at an early age like most of our mothers did. These mothers will probably encourage their daughters not to relax their hair and will instead teach them healthy hair and styling habits from a young age. Imagine how heads will be :drunk::drunk::drunk: lol

I am one of those mothers. I won't put a perm in my daugther's hair.

southerncitygirl

its a trend....not for me but i think it is for most. i stopped relaxing before this hair board and the yt explosion of natural ladies. most natural ladies i know are not even trying to use natural products or be health conscious and are quite overweight or obese. many women are going natural cause even though they are 4b they think their hair texture will spontaneously turn type 2-3c. i want to think more positively about this natural movement but my assessments are based on what i see and hear on a day to day basis and it saddens me.

bubbletoes

It was never my choice to have a relaxer, but when i went natural, it was because of me. it did just happen around the boom in the past 2-3 years, but that's more coincidental. I can see it as a fad, like the jheri curl, the relaxer, the hot comb, etc. Never say never.

Raspberry

I'm happy to be seeing more natural hairstyles around my city :yep:. The common looks have been awful awful quick weaves and wigs or du-rags/headscarves so natural hairstyles are an incredible improvement. I so want to compliment some of these women but don't want to come off strange :lol:

I'm talking primarily about low income areas that have been much slower to adopt natural and/or healthier hair practices. I have a soft spot for young black girls struggling to feel good about themselves in society so I appreciate the natural hair movement's role in helping some black girls feel unique and beautiful.

ilong

God's Own
It is my desire and goal to remain natural forever. Several posters have already captured the essence of what's happening in the "natural movement".
(The hype is the fad not women embracing their natural hair, the evolution to healthier lifestyles, awareness of toxic chemicals affect on our bodies, etc.. I think it has all been said.)

I think we can promote sustainability, encouragement and confidence in our sisters by making a concious effort to compliment them and their natural hair when we see them. I think we all feel good after receiving a compliment on our hair, clothes, skin, etc.

A very large number of black women at my work location are "naturals" . As a result of my acknowledging their natural hair - I have fostered new relationships. Today, (while on my Shea Moisture buying binge :) ) I saw 4 women with their hair in a natural state. I was elated. You should have seen the smiles on their faces when I complimented them on their natural hair.

ilong

God's Own
I'm happy to be seeing more natural hairstyles around my city :yep:. The common looks have been awful awful quick weaves and wigs or du-rags/headscarves so natural hairstyles are an incredible improvement. I so want to compliment some of these women but don't want to come off strange :lol:

I'm talking primarily about low income areas that have been much slower to adopt natural and/or healthier hair practices. I have a soft spot for young black girls struggling to feel good about themselves in society so I appreciate the natural hair movement's role in helping some black girls feel unique and beautiful.

Raspberry - I did not see your post before I posted mine. I actually started mt post at about 8:10pm and had to step away from the computer. I didn't want you to think my post was in response to yours.

ilong

God's Own
Sorry for multiple posts but as I was going back to the main forum page an ad flashed across the page. I don't know what the product that is being advertised - but based on the images I assume it is perhaps an advertisement for a relaxer. I've seen this ad several times but it just struck a nerver at the second because of this topic.

On the ad there are two images of a black young lady. One with her hair in its natural state - and she looks sad and unhappy and the second with her hair straightened with a big smile on her face. smh

No criticism on LHCF - advertisers are needed for the business and cost avoidance.

Angelicus

It's here to stay, like braids, wigs, and weaves. Even though I am relaxed, I love natural hair and the fact that people are being informed about their hair!

bronzebomb

I've been natural for 3 years. I'm in too far to turn back now. If I desire straight hair there are many options...including a wig.

beana

For ME its here to stay... no relaxer will EVER touch my hair again

For everyone else, I'm not sure.

discodumpling

For me, in this moment, in this lifetime the natural me is here to stay. I cannot speak for others...I wasn't even aware this was a "trend" or "fad". For me it just IS. After rocking a relaxer for almost 30 yrs it suddenly dawned on me that Ididn't have to HAVE one...didn't NEED one. 5 yrs into my nappturality I am very comfortable with mySELF, myHAIR & it's ability to change and adapt without chemicals.

Soul♥Flower

Well, I've been natural for about 12-13 years so it's not about a fashion trend or social statement to me (at least not anymore)...it's just what I'm used to now. I don't plan on ever relaxing it.