Natural hair - passing trend or here to stay?

I think "going natural" is . . .

• . . . a passing trend

Votes: 56 25.6%
  • . . . here to stay!

Votes: 163 74.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

I was talking with my bestie yesterday about how natural hair is now "trendy" . . . she's been natural for years and was ecstatic when I went natural.

Anyhoo, during our conversation I wondered aloud whether "going natural" was just a passing trend and we'd all be running to relax again in another few years. She said no - because this time around we have more information about how to care for natural hair as well as more products to help us in doing so.

Now I know for me, the change was moreso about the health of my hair/scalp and just wanting to "try and see" what my hair could do . . . I am not one of those people who says "I'll never relax again" but knowing what I do now about relaxers and all of the chemicals . . . probably not. But who knows.

Your thoughts???

danniegirl

Here to stay

We have moved into a more health conscience natural world, everything and everybody wants to have some association with being natural, whole, beter for the world and/ or organic.

AFashionSlave

I think it may be here to stay. I went natural in 1996/97 and there was very little information for loose haired naturals. There is so much info, products, and support now.

I think in another 20-30 years natural heads will outnumber the relaxed heads.

sheanu

I think it may be here to stay. I went natural in 1996/97 and there was very little information for loose haired naturals. There is so much info, products, and support now.

I think in another 20-30 years natural heads will outnumber the relaxed heads

I definitely agree with the bolded. I know plenty of natural mothers will be keeping their daughters natural instead of throwing them into the relaxed pool at an early age like most of our mothers did. These mothers will probably encourage their daughters not to relax their hair and will instead teach them healthy hair and styling habits from a young age. Imagine how heads will be :drunk::drunk::drunk: lol

LuvlyRain3

To be quite honest I'm all natural haired out. People are just going way too hard for my liking which is making it feel like a fad.

Here to stay!

There is a wealth of information and support out there for those contemplating going natural or toward those already natural, which is awesome.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I don't think it's going anywhere. Same for perms, relaxers and texturizing. Something someone will always be rocking.

bludaydreamr

The overall trend, as someone already mentioned is living healthier, for that reason and the wealth of information; it's more likely here to stay.

BostonMaria

Here to stay! Just like weaves.

LOL! :lachen:

For ME its here to stay
Unlike the 70s, we have so many more styling options and good hair products. For most of us, there really is no need for relaxers. You want straight hair? Just grab a flatiron. Got tired of the straight hair? Dump a bucket of water on your head :grin:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think it's here to stay.

The stereotypes surrounding the kind of woman who wears natural hair is evolving. It's unPC to say but in the late 80's/early 90's my perception of TWA's which in my mind equaled natural was a style for old women, lesbians and militant types. And locs meant that weed was your substitute for air.

When it became more of a neo-soul and then more of a mainstream thing, going natural became less intimidating.

Tiye

The hair you're born with can't be a trend unless we evolve into growing something else out of our scalps or having no hair at all and that takes time. The natural styles and care methods that are popular now will go out of style eventually but natural hair itself doesn't go out of style.

Qtee

I think its a fad...dont think that there will never be naturals cause there has always been natural women. But many people will on to the next best thing in a cpl yrs..just like the Jherri Curl...That didnt eliminate natural heads or relaxed heads..just was the 'in' thing at the time..

Aviah

I think more people will choose it long-term than previously, but I do think for many it is a fad. I do agree that there is a lot of versatility with it, but I don't think this growing trend will last forever.

Lylddlebit

I think going natural, twa, transitioning movement as a "big deal" is a fad. It's the new thing that a person can learn form scratch if they never tried it, tried it but didn't stick with it or tried it a long time ago and want to try it again. Once people learn their natural hair as just hair it becomes just another option like braids, pressing, a perm or color. I think the fad is the process and the extra hype people associate with it right now.

RegaLady

I think going natural, twa, transitioning movement as a "big deal" is a fad. It's the new thing that a person can learn form scratch if they never tried it, tried it but didn't stick with it or tried it a long time ago and want to try it again. Once people learn their natural hair as just hair it becomes just another option like braids, pressing, a perm or color. I think the fad is the process and the extra hype people associate with it right now.

This!:yep:

The hype will go down, but natural hair is here to stay. So much education around it and I believe in some cases many people have the "you know better, you do better" mentality around it, especially in regards to chemicals. If it doesn't stay at least people know they can always come back to it.

sunnieb

I think all the "hype" around natural hair is a fad.

I do think more black women being natural is here to stay. I also think that as naturals grow their hair longer, more women will be will to give it a try.

I've heard many women say that they want to go natural, but hate twa's. I've tried to tell them that natural hair doesn't mean short, but they ain't trying to hear it......yet...:look:

AFashionSlave

I also think that the natural hair movement is going to force hair relaxer companies to change their product. They need to make hair relaxers safer for women. I have no problem with relaxed sisters or straight hair, but I have a serious problem with the caustic chemicals in those perms.

I find it amazing that hair relaxers haven't changed much in the last 30 years.

*~*Afrolicious*~*

I don't care what other people do. I will be natural for the rest of my life. My sensitive skin and ultra fine hair do not respond will to relaxers.

candycan

For some it may just be a trend but as I like to say in my siggy-Natural hair for me is NOT a movement, it's a style choice. It's not a measure of how black I am. Now that we have more info than ever, natural hair has become the style of choice because of the greater variety textured hair allows. While at the same time, natural hair provides a way to grow longer lengths which has managed to escape black women for years due to the harsh chemical relaxers coupled with poor techniques adapted by hairstylists,well-meaning "mom"s and kitchen beauticians.

Last edited:

localhost

the relaxer was the fad. doing what's natural to you, is well, natural. So the relaxer fad is reversing and more and more women are done with that fad or trend.

Just another way to looking at it.

mslionheart

I think in another 20-30 years natural heads will outnumber the relaxed heads.

I remember when I went natural in 2000, there were only a few hair boards so everyone sort of knew each other. Even back then people were saying that natural hair was a fad and that folks would be on to the next thing soon enough. Well, 12 years later and the "fad" has grown even bigger. It's not going anywhere.

I definitely agree with the bolded. I know plenty of natural mothers will be keeping their daughters natural instead of throwing them into the relaxed pool at an early age like most of our mothers did. These mothers will probably encourage their daughters not to relax their hair and will instead teach them healthy hair and styling habits from a young age. Imagine how heads will be :drunk::drunk::drunk: lol

I have nothing against straight hair but there really is nothing cuter than a little girl with a huge afro puff or big twists/ braids. And I would gets such a kick out of seeing our teenage girls rocking big fluffy fros and waist-length twists and twist-outs. Again, nothing against straight hair. It just saddens me that many of us don't see the beauty and potential in a feature that is almost uniquely ours.

localhost

What I really want to see is whites, asians, and latinas jack up their hair textures in order to rock fros, puffs, locs, and kinky twists. I'd like to see them spend millions upon millions trying to achieve what's naturally ours. For once.

Because it has now taken over as the new standard of beauty.

That would be awesome.

Atdow71

I think for some it's a trend, but for the majority of us (I hope ) it's not. I've been natural since the late 90s and I don't know of a fad that has lasted that long. So for me, it's a classic and here to stay (in my life) whether it's locs or loose natural.