New Memeber in need of advice

Guess?Girl

Hello! I'm Guess?Girl and have been Lurking on these boards for about 1 1/2 mos. I had to get my hair cut because of excessive damage in August. I was cut into layers in the back and to the top of my ears on the sides. I've been relaxing every four weeks (my hair grows very quickly) since August and my hair has been growning at a good rate. On the sides in is now a 1/2 in below my earlobes and the back is almost to my back hairline. This sat. I'm due for a touch-up, but I wanted to get my hair braided for 2 mo. to give it a rest. If I get it braided, will my relaxed hair be damaged and will the braids cause breakage? I would really appreciate some respones. Sorry for the long post! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peachtree

Hi Guess?Girl,
Sorry, but I've never worn braids before, so I can't give you any advice there. But just wait...I'm sure some members will give advice soon.

Welcome to our hair family /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

pebbles

Hi Guess?girl,
Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
You could braid your hair and give it a rest for eight weeks like you said, but you would have to moisturize it and do deep conditioning treatments frequently to void damage and hair loss. Stretching your relaxer out to eight weeks is not a bad thing if you can do it and be consistent in the care you give to your hair while in braids. /images/graemlins/smile.gif HTH

Kitkat

Welcome to the board, GuessGirl. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Pebbles gives some good advice. I've done braids before, and as long as you keep your hair moisturized and clean you will be fine.

Many of us here have different opinions on this topic. It's been my experience that the braids themselves don't cause breakage, but it's what we do to the hair that creates problems. It's important to take your time removing the braids (I usually devote an entire weekend to removal alone) and to be extra gentle when removing them, especially at our delicate hairline.

I have a question: what do you use to relax your hair? Lye or no lye relaxer?

LondonDiva

Welcome to the board GuessGirl /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Make sure you keep the braids moicturised and don't be afraid to wash them either. When you do make sure that you wash out the shampoo very well. Try not to oil the scalp with oil as it will cause clumps and knots to form at the base of the braid. Like the previous poster said devote the time and attention when taking down your braids and be very careful and gentle with them. Please pay extra care to the hair line and don't add too much hair or make it too thin so that it will cause the hairline to break off.

Good Luck