Relaxer Vs Braids - Please help!

butterfly7

I got my last relaxer approximately 8 weeks ago. I used a box perm (Gentle Treatment) and I am pretty sure my hair is/was underprocessed. At this point, I am wearing a ponytail, but my hair is very short as I have cut off all the damaged stuff. Over the weekend, I was contemplating getting a relaxer, but decided against it. I have a lot of new growth on top (1 to 1 1/2 inches), but not as much on the sides and in back. My goal was to try and stretch my relaxer to at least 10 weeks, but now I am thinking about getting box braids. My hair type is 3a/3b in back and on the sides and more like 4a on the top/middle. Should I go ahead and wait out the 2 weeks and switch to a lye relaxer or would it be safe to get my nappy hair braided for 2 months? If I get the relaxer, how long should I wait before I get braids?

adrienne0914

i would definitely get the braids! of couse i'm slightly baised because i had so much success with them when my hair was alot shorter. if you take care of them, they can REALLY work for you. and while you're wearing them, you can decide how to handle your next retouch.

if you do the retouch right now with hardly any new growth in some areas, that could cause damage. there's no undoing that. with the braids, if you don't like them or feel they're doing more harm than good, you can always take them down.

adrienne

Kitkat

I agree with Adrienne. Go for the braids!! I am also biased, like Adrienne is, because I have had good braid experiences. I don't think a retouch would be a good idea now, if you don't have a lot of new growth all around. HTH!!

butterfly7

Thank you guys so much. I was leaning towards the braids. I just wasn't sure. I have had good braiding experiences in the past as well. My hair grows much faster braided. Thanks again!