MHM Hangout

hairtimes5

Hadn't washed my hair since last Saturday after doing the clct. I was prepared to soend forever detangling but much toy surprise, my hair was extremely easy to detangle, even with no product just under the water. And then I started spraying on the flaxseed gel and that slip that I just said was decent, was non-existent. My hair immediately began to feel like hay. I don't know what happeneded?? It wasn't like this before. The only thing I did differently was use clay wash that I diluted a couple of wks back. I had forgotten about it and saw it under the sink this morning and thought I'd use it up. Could that have been the problem? It tested it after the fact and the ph was 8. It didn't smell rancid or anything. My hair dried like hay too so I may try dcing with NG herbal blends under the steamer this evening.

faithVA

Hadn't washed my hair since last Saturday after doing the clct. I was prepared to soend forever detangling but much toy surprise, my hair was extremely easy to detangle, even with no product just under the water. And then I started spraying on the flaxseed gel and that slip that I just said was decent, was non-existent. My hair immediately began to feel like hay. I don't know what happeneded?? It wasn't like this before. The only thing I did differently was use clay wash that I diluted a couple of wks back. I had forgotten about it and saw it under the sink this morning and thought I'd use it up. Could that have been the problem? It tested it after the fact and the ph was 8. It didn't smell rancid or anything. My hair dried like hay too so I may try dcing with NG herbal blends under the steamer this evening.

My clay was freshly made and that flax gel was :nono: I don't know what it is.

Your hair will probably feel fine as soon as you wash out the flax gel. You probably won't even need to DC. Once I rinsed mine out and put my styler on my hair was fine.

faithVA

You guys have got me worried. I hope I haven't wasted my small change on these flax seeds:perplexed

Don't be worried. Lots of people have great success with flax seed gel. And even if your hair doesn't love it by the time the ladies on the board experiment, we will have a recipe that works.

When the search feature is back up I will find the thread on flax seed gel. There are a lot of recipes.

I just haven't played around with the recipe enough and didn't feel like being bothered.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Modified MHM today, got my clay on right now (mixed with AVJ instead of ACV). I did feel a little bit smoother going on and the detangling was a bit easier too. I'm going to leave it on for a bit.

discodumpling

You guys have got me worried. I hope I haven't wasted my small change on these flax seeds:perplexed

No worries! It 's a super simple process and your hair just might love it:yep:
Lots of folks use flax seed gel successfully. I was one of them and I have a wng with flax gel posted somewhere up in this thread.

BUT My hair requires a strong hold for multi-day hair. Flaxseed gel gives a soft touchable hold. So touchable I couldn't keep my hands out of it and frizzed way sooner than I should have:lachen: So IF you can control yourself go for it Sis!

GGsKin

Thanks ladies:). I'm ok really, I don't mind a bit of trial and error. My plan is to put some seeds to soak tonight. I think I will try to get some okra too:yep:. I may just make two batches...

CoveredGirl

1. I tied my bag so that it is on my forehead and only pushed back to my hairline when wigging. My head/ body must be well trained because my scarf and bag never come off during the night.

2. That rustle will certainly be there:lol: but I do bag, silk scarf, and stocking cap. It seems like a lot but my head is small. The scarf stops my hair from completely drying out (vs bag and stocking alone). This compresses the bag and eliminates noise a bit but if you itch (or get a little jiggy lol), you will still hear it. I got over it.

4. Some incorporate proper protein during the DC step (step 2 in the original method), but there is the CLCT which is the homemade mild protein step for this regimen.

5. You don't have to do the whole thing daily- it's advised as a starter booster, but not necessary.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

Thank you for your responses! I haven't done the CLCT yet but I plan on it in a few days. And I've quickly realized that I won't be able to do this daily. I work long 12 hour days and leaving that sopping conditioner on my head overnight gave me a sore throat.

CoveredGirl

Welcome Baha_Ma!

I am wigging it to. At night I cover my head with the baggie and then a stocking cap and an actual pair of stockings, lol! That way I can wrap the "legs" around my head and it stays.

During the day my stocking cap over the baggie cuts down on the crunch of plastic, but sometimes you can still hear it a little if I itch. I'm wide open though and am like, oops I can hear my moisturizing cap, lol!

I think you can get really good results while wigging it because you can do the regimen regularly without the added styling time. The first two weeks, when I was deep conditioning almost all day and night, my hair got good hydration but overmoisturized and I had to correct it with a Cherry Lola Treatment. Since you're just getting started I recommend at least trying Dubaidee4c's modified regimen and skipping the conditioner all together, or using a natural leave in conditioner of water, a little olive oil, honey, etc.

Deva-curl no poo ingredients:
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

I see Glycerin which Pinkecube (MHM promoter) advised against because it can pull moisture out of your hair if it's not really humid outside. It's best to avoid Poly-quats, they can be drying and are considered a MHM no-no. Propylene Glycol can also be drying and is considered a no no. Wheat peptide is a protein, and proteins as part of the "daily" regimen are not encouraged as they can also build up and therefore drying because the water can't get through our already lo-porosity hair.

Are you using the Kanechom Ceramides conditioner? The underlined ingredients below combine to form a ceramide coating which is great for those with high porosity, damaged hair but not for those with lo-porosity which most 4c ladies have. Also it contains a silicone which will coat your hair as well.

Ingredients:
ents: Water, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, parfum, hexyl cinnamal, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, dimethicone, water, glycerin, PEG-8, PEG-8 SMDI copolymer, palmitotyl myristyl serinate, sodium polyacrylate, citric acid, CI 14720, CI 42090

You can definitely use up the products in your stash but you may not see much progress until you are done with those and use the non-drying, non-coating products recommended with the regimen.

Thanks so much for your detailed response. The panty hose is a good idea. I used a wig grip I purchased off amazon on top of the shower cap and under my scarf that seemed to do the trick. So sad I can't use my products for fear of them setting me back unnecessarily :ohwell: off to Target to get some bottles of KCKT..

Reading through Dubaidee method now. So is the conditioner just not necessary for low porosity chicks? Just CLCT as needed, clarify shampoo, clay rinse then gel?

Thanks again

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Ok so I've made Dubaidee's CLCT today without the plantain. I'd used 2 bananas instead and my treatment was still super thick :yep:. I just wanted you guys to know that it's not necessary to use the plantain since it can be a pain for it ripen.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So I trimmed my ends last week cuz I thought that's why my ends were tangling. Well my ends are still clinging together so I remember this happening when I was doing the CG method. So I pulled out my magic rake comb and detangled my ends and wouldn't you know my ends are know longer clinging together. By the time I finished detangling my ends, I had a nice pile of shed hair. I must not be doing a good job finger detangling :nono:. I will go watch some finger detangling videos so that I can make sure I'm not doing it incorrectly :yep:.

GGsKin

Ok so I've made Dubaidee's CLCT today without the plantain. I'd used 2 bananas instead and my treatment was still super thick :yep:. I just wanted you guys to know that it's not necessary to use the plantain since it can be a pain for it ripen.

In agreement here. I'm yet to use plantain in my CLCT and my last one (1 avocado + 1 banana) was my thickest mix yet:yep: plus I love plantain too much for it to last that long in my house:).

faithVA

Reading through Dubaidee method now. So is the conditioner just not necessary for low porosity chicks? Just CLCT as needed, clarify shampoo, clay rinse then gel?

Thanks again

For dubaidees method you clarify with shampoo just once the very first time you do the method. Then you clct, clay and gel.

After the first time you do clct every 2 to 4 weeks. Then clay and gel. The other weeks you just do clay and gel or water rinse and gel.

If you do Dubaidees method you don't need the kknt.

GGsKin

So I made my gel this morning. Cooked/boiled for around 10-15mins. Once cooled I added some essential oil and wheatgerm oil.

Did a wash today but clarified with ACV before rinsing and applying clay (rhassoul/ c.bentonite mix). I applied WGO and ran under the shower quickly before sectioning my hair in two and applying diluted KCCC on the right, and flax seed gel on the left.

The flaxseed side (left) was slightly more elongated when applying. It is also drying much faster- perimeter is now 100% dry, roots in back and crown area are damp. KCCC side (right)- perimeter now 90% dry, roots still very wet. The KCCC has dried softer. The flaxseed side definitely feels more crispy in comparison:lol:

Pic: hair is still wet, about 1hr later.

Attachments

• 2015-03-28 17.21.57.jpg
    2015-03-28 17.21.57.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

HopefulOne

HopefulOne I'm going through the same thing :yep:. I'd started losing my hair in my late 20's and I'm now in my early 40's. I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia too. I've been to many dermatologists, I've seen a natural doctor, and I got some bio testing done but no one can tell me my underlying issue. All I've been told is that my body is attacking my hair follicles but no solution to stop it :sad:. I did the bald spot regimen for 7 months per pinkecube's suggestion and it didn't help me get my hair back :nono:. It did help a little but I still have noticeable spots in my head. I think scarring alopecia is different from traction alopecia or any other form of alopecia cuz the hair follicles are permanently damaged so it's a little harder to get the hair to grow back in those areas. I've lost hair at my temples and my crown and it can get quite depressing, but I'm thankful that I can cover up my spots and somewhat wear my hair down. One thing I can say is my hair is doing a lot better since I've started doing MHM. I'm hopeful that I can still make progress with my bald spots on this regimen :yep:.

That is my case almost exactly. I have better results from MHM but my spots are still there. I hope that this regimen keeps it from getting worse.

HopefulOne

I'm also a member of the scarring alopecia club. I've had it for about a decade. I started the Paleo diet by cutting out all grains and wheat from my diet and that has stopped the alopecia in its tracks and a bunch of other health issues are gone too. There are a bunch of articles on how we are not meant to eat wheat etc and that causes inflammation in the body that results in a bunch of autoimmune disorders. The alopecia came back last year and I was afraid I'd lose the rest of my hair. I've read stores of people whose bodies have healed from the Paleo diet so I have my fingers crossed .

Thanks so inch for this information, I will check into this. I have never been aware odd this.

HopefulOne

HopefulOne my previous post might have come across a bit negative and that wasn't my attention. Since I've been on this forum my alopecia areas have improved greatly. I want to post pics to show you but I'm still kind of embarrassed to post those pics. My crown was really bad when I first started my journey but when I showed faithVA my pics she thinks that I can heal my crown in about 2 years :grin:. The bald spot regimen seemed to improve my crown cuz it was wide like a 3 lane highway but now it's more like a single lane :lol:. The one thing I've been doing is massaging those areas and using the NJoy oil and using a dermaroller before applying the oil so that it can actually penetrate those areas. Hang in there and stay positive cause your hair will improve despite of what the doctors tell you. All my doctors said that my hair will not grow back but I have pics to prove that hair is slowing growing in those areas :yep:.
Thank you so much for the encouragement I need if I will look up njoy oil and the Dermaroller.

discodumpling

Up and at 'em bright and early. Today will be DC, Clay, Leave-in and gel.

I'm DCing as I type with a mashup of Tressame Luxurious Moisture, 1/2tsp of Silk Aminos, 1 tsp of Bamboo powder and 1 tsp of baking soda and random amounts of nourishing oils like jojoba, grapeseed and my homemade hair/body oil blend. The mix was super slippy and easy to apply. My hair is completely detangled.

I bought this bamboo powder about a month ago and am just now experimenting to see where it can fit into the regi.
20 mins under the dryer and then rinse and clay for however long it takes to go to Pathmark and do my weekly grocery shopping. I'll rinse that and gel at some point this afternoon.

Enjoy your Sunday Ladies !

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think next week I'm going to do the full method for the 7 days. I tried out cantu's curling custard and it left sooooo much white residue. The funny thing is, it made my curls pop and really defined my twistout; but it left my scalp VERY itchy and white flakes. I may play around with it alittle more and figure out how I can not have the residue and the itchy scalp. I'm thinking less product. I REALLY liked the custard b/c of it light but defined hold. I can see it working really well in the summer.

discodumpling

I've been enjoying some awesome hair days...but my phone won't cooperate and all my pics look like what?? Some days it feels like i'm ** this close to MH and others it seems so far away. I am mindful though that i've only been doing this for 2 months...8 short weeks, is not enough time to maximally hydrate super thirsty hair like mine. So i'm in it for the long haul.

I've been playing with new ways to rock this fro...but quite honestly anything other than shaking my hair into place just seems like way too much effort right now. How did i ever do it before? I am truly bout that wash n go life :) When i think about doing anything but washing and wearing my arms get tired! I wish i could use this regi on my 5 yr old with her thick kinky curly almost WL hair...but she ain't ready!

hairtimes5

Been wanting to cut my hair for a few yrs now but the hubs wanted me to grow it out. Yesterday on the way home from church I said I'm tired of my hair, what do you think about me getting it cut? He said whatever you want. So I came home thinking, let me strike the iron while it's hot and he changes his mind. Watched a couple of yt vids and decided to do it myself. Can't believe I gave myself a tapered cut! Afterwards I thought, oh shoot my hair doesn't curl at the root yet. But it wasn't so bad when I styled it this morning. My back curled fine but my sides needed a little more coaxing. My hair is so uneven though so I will be placing a call to my stylist to get it cleaned up. Otherwise I feel so free!

HopefulOne

I am trying something new I am using a seaweed mask (kelp-kombu) on my hair in the nights I don't have the clay in it overnight. I boil the seaweed down and put the liquid in and sleep in a plastic cap.

nycutiepie

That is my case almost exactly. I have better results from MHM but my spots are still there. I hope that this regimen keeps it from getting worse.

I also have alopecia but it's my edges and it is due to tension although I've never been officially diagnosed by a dermatologist. I was a consistent weave wearer for many years and I believed the tighter the better and the stupid stylists didn't give a damn. I've always had "light" edges which can be seen in my baby pictures but the tight weaves really did me in.

My hair is thriving with MHM but my edges are still practically non-existent in spots. I am the epitome of "snatched edges" and I can never wear my hair in a pulled back style to reveal my edges. Sometimes it looks like they're doing better but other times I think it's an illusion. I've been wigging it since I've been natural since I want to wait until I get to a comfortable enough length to wear my natural hair out, but I'm going to visit a dermatologist soon to see if there's any hope.

I use NJoy oil and everything is growing except the bald spots in my edges. I'm going to google the dermaroller to see what that's about because I'm willing to try anything.

Honey Bee

I am trying something new I am using a seaweed mask (kelp-kombu) on my hair in the nights I don't have the clay in it overnight. I boil the seaweed down and put the liquid in and sleep in a plastic cap.
HopefulOne, For a while I was adding Irish Moss to my clay. I have it in powder form. I can't remember any big changes, but I felt like I was doing something. :lol: It changed the texture of the clay, though. It was a smoother blend, iirc.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Been wanting to cut my hair for a few yrs now but the hubs wanted me to grow it out. Yesterday on the way home from church I said I'm tired of my hair, what do you think about me getting it cut? He said whatever you want. So I came home thinking, let me strike the iron while it's hot and he changes his mind. Watched a couple of yt vids and decided to do it myself. Can't believe I gave myself a tapered cut! Afterwards I thought, oh shoot my hair doesn't curl at the root yet. But it wasn't so bad when I styled it this morning. My back curled fine but my sides needed a little more coaxing. My hair is so uneven though so I will be placing a call to my stylist to get it cleaned up. Otherwise I feel so free!

My sides are giving me the blues too but I decided I'll just enjoy my hair no matter how it looks. I'll continue to reach for max hydration and enjoy the could I do have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF