MHM Hangout

faithVA

I bought some flax seeds aka linseeds today. I'm looking forward to making my own gel. I love kinky curly (I've only tried 2 gels though). It will be interesting to see how the flax seed gel compares. May have to pick up some okra to add to the mix...hmm we'll see.

If it works out, at least I won't feel the need to spend £20 a pop on KCCC. Last time I was at the hair shop I bought 3 large jars. Wait £60 on gel:shocked::shocked:..that can't be right:ohwell:. It's funny how I develop amnesia when it comes to how much I spend on my hair...and food....and shoes to be honest:lol:

Definitely let us know how it goes. People swear by flax seed gel but I couldn't get it to work on my hair. It was like chalk on a chalkboard. I'm definitely going to try the okra at some point. But at this point I figured I would just buy gel until I wear WNGs more. I still have 2 kccs and just bought 2 of the soul magic. I have some samples of stuff too :look:

GGsKin

I saw your hair on the HOTD thread and your coils are so pretty! It has been worth the six months of effort you have put into this!

Thank you Holla4mom. It really has:yep:. I think this is the most concentrated effort I have put into my hair ever, but then again I did run it into the ground before I stopped relaxing. I am happy I've reached a point where I am happy to wear my hair out. Still a long way to go- I have a couple of mini patches growing in, but with length comes disguise:look:

GGsKin

Definitely let us know how it goes. People swear by flax seed gel but I couldn't get it to work on my hair. It was like chalk on a chalkboard. I'm definitely going to try the okra at some point. But at this point I figured I would just buy gel until I wear WNGs more. I still have 2 kccs and just bought 2 of the soul magic. I have some samples of stuff too :look:

Your description puts my teeth on edge just thinking about it lol. I will probably get busy on the weekend. Will definitely let you know how it goes.

Holla4mom

Did you do the CLCT the same day as the color shampoo back when you had the good results? I'm just wondering what might be different.
I had good results with this color change shampoo a few weeks ago. But since then it doesn't seem to want to cover my grays :tantrum: Tonight I'm going to try washing with the mud puddle first, then use the color change shampoo and then finish with the sodium bentonite to offset the dryness of the color change shampoo. I'm hoping this works. I'm running out of ideas.

With the use of the bentonite I'm not expecting any coils but if I can get this color to take I will figure out the clay later.

faithVA

Did you do the CLCT the same day as the color shampoo back when you had the good results? I'm just wondering what might be different.

I did the color a few days before the clct. I'm wondering what is different as well. I'm hoping its just build up. But if this doesn't work I'm going to try using baking soda to open the cuticles to see if that helps. I really want it to work so I can stop using the permanent hair color.

HopefulOne

Hi everyone, I have tried the modified method and it is not for me. I haven't had any tangles but it doesn't seem to work the same way for me that the original method did. I need the BS and the DC to make my totally defined 3c hair feel right. It is totally defined with the modified method but I feel like I could get a tangle from the modified. I do the method to avoid tangles and i don't want to take any chances because my retention has been so good with the original. I just can't take the chance. I envy you ladies who can benefit from the modified because it is so much easier.

HopefulOne

I also want to mention my blow dryer . I got a radiant dryer that emits hot air but it doesnt move your hair. It is just concentrates heat. I am able to partially dry my hair when it is wet without disturbing my curls or causing heat damage . I hold the dryer far enough away from my hair to avoid damage. I love the fact that I can dry my hair without disturbing my curl pattern. I got mine at Sally's and the brand is Jilbere and it is ionic with tourmaline. Check them out, it works grear.

nycutiepie

Hi everyone, I have tried the modified method and it is not for me. I haven't had any tangles but it doesn't seem to work the same way for me that the original method did. I need the BS and the DC to make my totally defined 3c hair feel right. It is totally defined with the modified method but I feel like I could get a tangle from the modified. I do the method to avoid tangles and i don't want to take any chances because my retention has been so good with the original. I just can't take the chance. I envy you ladies who can benefit from the modified because it is so much easier.
Thanks for this review. I haven't tried the modified yet because I've been lazy and I just did a full cycle last night/today. The no knots and no breakage is the best part of this regi for me, so when I try it, I will lookout for what you said. I'm not trying to mess up a good thing even though all these steps are a killer.

discodumpling

Hey Ladies,

I'm trying 2 new things tonight! 1. An overnight clay session. 2. A clay mix consisting of clay a capfull of ACV and lots of oil...I had to use 6 tsp of rhassoul instead of my usual 3!

The clay session is cause felt like I needed a mid week treatment but I didn't want to do it in the morning so overnight it is. The ACV clay is a departure from my usual Aloe Vera juice concoction. I plan to rinse and do what I usually do in the morning. Conditioner if necessary to get the clay out :rolleyes: leave-in, gel and on with my day.

Last edited:

faithVA

Hey Ladies,

I'm trying 2 new things tonight! 1. An overnight clay session. 2. A clay mix consisting of clay a capfull of ACV and lots of oil...I had to use 6 tsp of rhassoul instead of my usual 3!

The clay session is cause felt like I needed a mid week treatment but I didn't want to do it in the morning so overnight it is. The ACV clay is a departure from my usual Aloe Vera juice concoction. I plan to rinse and do what I usually do in the morning. Conditioner if necessary to get the clay out :rolleyes: leave-in, gel and on with my day.

Why did you use extra clay?

faithVA

Still didn't get the color to work. Will try the baking soda next.

Unused the sodium bentonite on my hair tonight. It didn't do anything for my hair. Didn't notice any difference applying, detangling or after rinsing. :ohwell: its not as bad on my hair as the calcium bentonite but its not as nice as rhassoul. I will put it back in the cabinet and use it for a back up.

I'm glad I got it on sale. I would hate to have paid $20 for it.

GGsKin

Still didn't get the color to work. Will try the baking soda next.

Unused the sodium bentonite on my hair tonight. It didn't do anything for my hair. Didn't notice any difference applying, detangling or after rinsing. :ohwell: its not as bad on my hair as the calcium bentonite but its not as nice as rhassoul. I will put it back in the cabinet and use it for a back up.

I'm glad I got it on sale. I would hate to have paid $20 for it.

Wow, your hair really won't be forced into any kind of submission will it:lol: Like you suggested to me, maybe you could add 1 spoon to your rhassoul, if anything it should help your rhassoul last a little longer and maybe add a some extra cleansing, coupled with the moisturising properties of rhassoul(?) Or did it just do nothing at all for you?

discodumpling

Why did you use extra clay?

Without adding conditioner to my usual 3 tsp. the mix was significantly less than I needed. I had to fill it out with more rhassoul.

This mornings rinse out went well and i'm onto my day. I'll take pics in the bathroom at work when it's dry! :look:
I don't notice any immediate differences between using ACV vs Aloe Vera juice but the truth always comes out when it's completely dry so we'll see.

it's gonna be almost 60 in NYC for one day...I'm so hungry and desperate for sunny warm weather I actually thought about walking the boardwalk at lunch...but its gon rain so i'll hold that thought! Happy Thursday!

nycutiepie

Without adding conditioner to my usual 3 tsp. the mix was significantly less than I needed. I had to fill it out with more rhassoul. This mornings rinse out went well and i'm onto my day. I'll take pics in the bathroom at work when it's dry! :look: I don't notice any immediate differences between using ACV vs Aloe Vera juice but the truth always comes out when it's completely dry so we'll see. it's gonna be almost 60 in NYC for one day...I'm so hungry and desperate for sunny warm weather I actually thought about walking the boardwalk at lunch...but its gon rain so i'll hold that thought! Happy Thursday!
I notice the Rhassoul doesn't yield as much mixture as the Bentonite. I figured out my mix during yesterday's cycle and I'm using a little more than 1 part Bentonite to 2 parts Rhassoul and I'm only mixing with water and a drop of ACV. I do not use oil unless I'm using straight Bentonite. I'm also looking forward to the 60 degrees today.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Yeah, that's what happens to my hair. The softer my hair, the less defined. I love, love, love my conditioners but I can't get any definition with them. I also love rhassoul but I think alone it is too moisturizing and the calcium bentonite is too drying. So I'm hoping a mix will work for me :lol:

If your hair is fine with the calcium bentonite, I agree you should stick with it until you feel you need to change up.

This is all resonating with me! I'm getting it now, our goal is to hydrate our strands from the inside, out, not over moisturize until it becomes soft and mushy. Moisturizing isn't the same as hydrating...CHECK!!!

If the original method is working with some people longterm, maybe we should assess if those heads have course strands which means more cuticle layers for the conditioners to penetrate, which means more work. It makes sense that HiPo heads woukd require the extra conditioning steps because it doesn't hold onto the moisture (water). I have baby fine strands that (now that I think about it) probably doesn't require that much effort for moisture to get to the one cuticle layer even tho I am LoPo. When doing all the opening the cuticle via BS, steaming and hot water, its overkill. This is an Ah-Ha moment for me! I over analyze everything so don't be surprised if none of this makes sense to you, Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I did the color a few days before the clct. I'm wondering what is different as well. I'm hoping its just build up. But if this doesn't work I'm going to try using baking soda to open the cuticles to see if that helps. I really want it to work so I can stop using the permanent hair color.

I was going to suggest to try using BS and then the color product. I think you just need to get those cuticles open.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

HopefulOne is your hair fine, med or course??

sweetpea7

Did the original method last night and this morning. I forgot to put gel in since I was running behind. My hair is very blah. Not really defined when it dried. I realized deep con over night does nothing special for me. :ohwell:

I prefer Dubai dee's method but I do clay+milk, KCNT(instead of aloe vera juice) and then FSG. I can do that all in the morning or at night at it takes about 25 min :yay:

Evolving78

what color shampoo did you use? I won't be coloring my hair until next year, but I would like to see what is out there. You know I'm not wearing my hair out.

faithVA

Wow, your hair really won't be forced into any kind of submission will it:lol: Like you suggested to me, maybe you could add 1 spoon to your rhassoul, if anything it should help your rhassoul last a little longer and maybe add a some extra cleansing, coupled with the moisturising properties of rhassoul(?) Or did it just do nothing at all for you?

She is a bit stubborn. Not sure where she gets it from :look: :lol:

I will probably mix it in at some point. But I want to see if I can get a good rhassoul/calcium bentonite blend going. I have so many experiments I want to do :lol: They need to hurry up and deliver my clay. Their messing up my progress.

It won't hurt to add it but it really did do nothing for my hair. I think my hair may have ended up with more water in it but that didn't seem to give me any tangible results like definition, or sheen or softness. :ohwell:

faithVA

Without adding conditioner to my usual 3 tsp. the mix was significantly less than I needed. I had to fill it out with more rhassoul.

This mornings rinse out went well and i'm onto my day. I'll take pics in the bathroom at work when it's dry! :look:
I don't notice any immediate differences between using ACV vs Aloe Vera juice but the truth always comes out when it's completely dry so we'll see.

it's gonna be almost 60 in NYC for one day...I'm so hungry and desperate for sunny warm weather I actually thought about walking the boardwalk at lunch...but its gon rain so i'll hold that thought! Happy Thursday!

oh yeah, I forgot about the conditioner. Makes sense now.

faithVA

This is all resonating with me! I'm getting it now, our goal is to hydrate our strands from the inside, out, not over moisturize until it becomes soft and mushy. Moisturizing isn't the same as hydrating...CHECK!!!

If the original method is working with some people longterm, maybe we should assess if those heads have course strands which means more cuticle layers for the conditioners to penetrate, which means more work. It makes sense that HiPo heads woukd require the extra conditioning steps because it doesn't hold onto the moisture (water). I have baby fine strands that (now that I think about it) probably doesn't require that much effort for moisture to get to the one cuticle layer even tho I am LoPo. When doing all the opening the cuticle via BS, steaming and hot water, its overkill. This is an Ah-Ha moment for me! I over analyze everything so don't be surprised if none of this makes sense to you, Lol.

Yep, you got it.

I overthink everything too. I want to know why. I haven't yet figured out why for me super soft hair means no definition. I think there are characteristics to our hair that we can't see and feel. And those small differences are impacted by the various components of the different regimens.

Between the two of us we will figure it out :yep:

faithVA

I was going to suggest to try using BS and then the color product. I think you just need to get those cuticles open.

I think you may be right. I'm going to give it a break for now and try the BS next week. If it works I will be doing the happy dance.

faithVA

what color shampoo did you use? I won't be coloring my hair until next year, but I would like to see what is out there. You know I'm not wearing my hair out.

I'm using the Diety Color Change Shampoo

If I can get it to work I will be sticking with it because it doesn't have the limitations of semi-permanent or permanent colors. But so far it acts like a semi-permanent color on my hair. It doesn't attach to my grays very well. The rest of my hair looks good :yep:

HopefulOne

Is your alopecia getting any better. Seeing any improvements while doing the regimen. You may have told us but I get lost with the progress in this thread.

Thanks for asking. I think that I have scarring Alopecia and there is nothing that can be done for the spot. I have tried injections of steroids, sprinolactone. Rogaine and no hope. I have a style that I wear that disguises my loss but you can see why I am so anxious to avoid tangles. I can't afford to lose any hair

GGsKin

Did the original method last night and this morning. I forgot to put gel in since I was running behind. My hair is very blah. Not really defined when it dried. I realized deep con over night does nothing special for me. :ohwell:

I prefer Dubai dee's method but I do clay+milk, KCNT(instead of aloe vera juice) and then FSG. I can do that all in the morning or at night at it takes about 25 min :yay:

sweetpea7 How is it taking you such a short time to separate your strands during both the clay and the gel steps?

faithVA

Thanks for asking. I think that I have scarring Alopecia and there is nothing that can be done for the spot. I have tried injections of steroids, sprinolactone. Rogaine and no hope. I have a style that I wear that disguises my loss but you can see why I am so anxious to avoid tangles. I can't afford to lose any hair

Well never give up hope. Many on the board have had alopecia, including myself and have recovered or made great progress. Its possible that you just haven't found the right treatment for you yet :yep:

Last edited: