Lots of New Growth: Underprocessed or Growing Hair??

preciousjewel76

Lately, I've been reading a ton of posts from folks who say that their hair is underprocessed. They are struggling with new growth only a couple of weeks after relaxing. But how can you really tell if you're underprocessed? Is this the best way? All that new growth could just mean that your hair is growing, right? Personally, I'm about 4 weeks post and I already notice some new growth - and I'm excited! I think that it means that my hair is growing.

So, I guess my overall question is: how long is a relaxer supposed to keep your hair straight? I think I'd be concerned if I didn't see new growth after 6 weeks....

Your thoughts?

preciousjewel76 said:
Lately, I've been reading a ton of posts from folks who say that their hair is underprocessed. They are struggling with new growth only a couple of weeks after relaxing. But how can you really tell if you're underprocessed? Is this the best way? All that new growth could just mean that your hair is growing, right? Personally, I'm about 4 weeks post and I already notice some new growth - and I'm excited! I think that it means that my hair is growing.

So, I guess my overall question is: how long is a relaxer supposed to keep your hair straight? I think I'd be concerned if I didn't see new growth after 6 weeks....

Your thoughts?

The relaxer keeps the relaxed hair straight because it's a chemical process that permanently alters the texture of your hair. Any new hair will not be straight because it has not been relaxed yet. I relaxed on Sept 7 and I know that my hair has grown because 1) I relaxed myself and it was bone straight at the hairline and 2) it's no longer bone straight at the hairline...lol.

Last edited:
Also you can see that your hair is underprocessed pretty much immediately because it will not be as straight as the rest of your properly processed hair, some people may not notice it til weeks later because they may fry it straight with a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron right after relaxing.

When my hair is underprocessed it is not straight. It's looser - but not straight.

The problem I face is that with "puffy" underprocessed hair and "kinky" new growth (it feels like) higher maintenance because I may have 1/8" new growth after 2 weeks and 1 inch of underprocessed hair.

Fast forward 2 more weeks

now it's 1/4" new growth and 1 inch under processed as opposed to 1/4" new growth and the rest bone straight.

Also you can see that your hair is underprocessed pretty much immediately because it will not be as straight as the rest of your properly processed hair

I agree with this. If you can tell a difference between the hair you just processed vs. the hair that has been properly processed previously, then you've probably underprocessed. If you don't see a difference but say 2 weeks down the line you do, then I would think that is just NG.

Thanks for clarifying this, ladies. I know that I'm not underprocessed (actually, I'm recovering from my stylist overprocessing my hair), but I had questions about it. Especially since I plan on self-relaxing with Silk Elements next time around, and so many people claim that it has underprocessed their hair! :eek:

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks for clarifying this, ladies. I know that I'm not underprocessed (actually, I'm recovering from my stylist overprocessing my hair), but I had questions about it. Especially since I plan on self-relaxing with Silk Elements next time around, and so many people claim that it has underprocessed their hair! :eek:

Good luck with the self relaxer...have you done it before? My first time wasn't bad, but I see where I need to improve and make some corrections. Good luck!!!

preciousjewel76 said:

It's more work but I'm hoping that as I get better at applying my relaxer I'll be Underprocessed - Processed - Underprocessed. ;) This way any overlap won't matter. (not that I'm trying to) but I don't mind being a little underprocessed but just a little.

angellazette said:
I agree with this. If you can tell a difference between the hair you just processed vs. the hair that has been properly processed previously, then you've probably underprocessed. If you don't see a difference but say 2 weeks down the line you do, then I would think that is just NG.

I agree 100%:)

frankie said:
Also you can see that your hair is underprocessed pretty much immediately because it will not be as straight as the rest of your properly processed hair, some people may not notice it til weeks later because they may fry it straight with a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron right after relaxing.

I second this!

frankie said:
Good luck with the self relaxer...have you done it before? My first time wasn't bad, but I see where I need to improve and make some corrections. Good luck!!!

Yes, I've relaxed my hair several times in the past. I've been getting them professionally done for the last 5 years, though. I'm going to practice with some cheap conditioner before I do the "real thing", though. I'm sure my skillz are rusty, LOL. I've never self-relaxed with lye before, but I don't burn easily and I'll just be sure to base my scalp heavily.

I knew I was underprocessed when I washed my hair for the first time after the relaxer, it reverted like I never got a perm. It might have been a little softer but it wasn't straight like the previously relaxed hair. My mother and my hairdresser referred to it as "the perm not taking" or it "didn't take". My hairdresser made me wait a whole 6 weeks before she re-relaxed my hair again. She just sqeezed my scalp a bit with the curlers when she curled my wrap to get the roots straight in the meantime.

Back