SURGE causing growth or reversion??

foxybronx

I’m confused. Is Surge growing my hair? Or causing my already underprocessed roots more reversion?

Lately I have been noticing more loose curls at my roots than usual…but I don’t relax my hair bone straight so I always have underprocessed roots.

Is the protein building up more curls where i am underprocessed? OR is it really changing the texture of my new growth...

I would like to know also, I used surge the past 2-3 weeks and you would have thought I had 6 inches of new growth. But when I relaxed my hair, I think I had about .75. I was wondering if my hair was playing tricks on me.

I've been using Surge for the past 3 or so months with great results. The first time I used it I waited two weeks after my relaxer. This time I waited three days and am experiencing wavier roots. I wonder if I didn't wait long enough.

I wait to use it at least 4 weeks after relaxing to make sure that my roots and hair are at a normal state. I get that HEAT from Surge, so I don't wanna use it too early.

I experienced MUCH curlier roots. They seemed twice at thick as they were before I began using Surge.

The last time I relaxed, it looked like I had the same amount of 'new hair' that I was expecting from the new growth that I saw. Perhaps a little more.

I feel you on the reversion, but I have a question... Does SURGE give anyone else a headache?

Foxy, I had this same issue a few months back, but I think I've figured it out. I do think that Surge causes your roots to revert sooner b/c it's water-based, but it does cause it to grow as well.

I noticed a significant amount of growth after I used it for the first time back in August until I relaxed again. There's also been periods when I've stopped using it and I've really examined the difference in my NG. Here's what you can do to really see if it's growing your hair:

The next time you relax, immediately after doing your touch-up, take on section of your hair (preferably at the crown b/c it'll be easy to remember the spot, and easy to measure w/a ruler). Stretch the hair tight so that it is as long as possible, and make a note of the # of inches. Then, the next time you get ready to relax- maybe the day before (after having used Surge consistently), take that same section of hair, and measure the NG only (by stretching it out very tight). Then after you relax, do the same experiment, this time with the entire length of the same section of hair, and measure the new length. Compare the inches of all three measurements.

By doing this, you should be able to chart exactly how much length you've gained, based on the amount of NG. If it's more than normal, it's the Surge! If it's about the same as you've always gained (before Surge), then your hair is probably just reverting. My guess is that it's the former.

I hope that wasn't too confusing /images/graemlins/confused.gif.
SG

I have often wondered the same thing… I stopped using it because it did not seem to be accelerating my hair growth, only causing reversion. In addition, it caused my scalp to become irritated.

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
Foxy, I had this same issue a few months back, but I think I've figured it out. I do think that Surge causes your roots to revert sooner b/c it's water-based, but it does cause it to grow as well.

I noticed a significant amount of growth after I used it for the first time back in August until I relaxed again. There's also been periods when I've stopped using it and I've really examined the difference in my NG. Here's what you can do to really see if it's growing your hair:

The next time you relax, immediately after doing your touch-up, take on section of your hair (preferably at the crown b/c it'll be easy to remember the spot, and easy to measure w/a ruler). Stretch the hair tight so that it is as long as possible, and make a note of the # of inches. Then, the next time you get ready to relax- maybe the day before (after having used Surge consistently), take that same section of hair, and measure the NG only (by stretching it out very tight). Then after you relax, do the same experiment, this time with the entire length of the same section of hair, and measure the new length. Compare the inches of all three measurements.

By doing this, you should be able to chart exactly how much length you've gained, based on the amount of NG. If it's more than normal, it's the Surge! If it's about the same as you've always gained (before Surge), then your hair is probably just reverting. My guess is that it's the former.

I hope that wasn't too confusing /images/graemlins/confused.gif.
SG

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks SG!
Good thinking!! I will try that

No problem Foxy. I know it was long, but I agonized over this forever! Glad to know I was in good company. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Reformatio: It also irritated my scalp after a while too, which is part of the reason I took a break from it. Once I started oiling my scalp better after putting it on, I was fine.

I agree that Surge causes both. The reversion from the water, but definitely increased growth as well...ask my eyebrows. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
I agree that Surge causes both. The reversion from the water, but definitely increased growth as well...ask my eyebrows. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... maybe I need to put some on my brows /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also think surge causes reversion. In fact I overprocessed my hairline and used surge to get it to the texture I wanted. It seems to have worked.

I tried the surge eyebrow experiment for about 3 days( after reading your post,because I too have thin eyebrows.) After 3 days, I got a serious burning irritation on my eyebrows. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif How's it going for you ms kneasha?

Back