Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks & plus new growth

Do you self relax after stretching your perm?

• Yes

Votes: 193 75.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 24.3%

• Total voters

Naijaqueen

I just did mine for 1st time and I'm 11 weeks and 4 days, had mad growth, and read all the tips on here and it came out great!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

This is what I do except I use my pointer, middle and ring finger to apply and smooth, and my pinky to part. :cool:
Tanelions said:
I'm a self relaxer. It seems when I go to the salon after stretching there is always some comment, like 1-2in of newgrowth is going to take so much longer. By the time they get finished applying it, I'm burning and still need time to process. So that's why I definatly do it myself. I only use my hands for apply and smoothing. With the index finger and middle finger of my dominant hand, I apply. The ring and pinky finger I used for parting. The other hand is used to help get the hair out of the way and assist in parting. I like using latex gloves because the ones in the box suck, there are a horrible fit and mess with my time. Weird method I know, :dork: But it gets the job done.

karezone

I try to wait atleast 8-10 weeks between relaxers and sometimes the new growth is unreal. So before I relax, I part and section hair and secure with clamps of some sort. I part my hair so that I can work them in a certain order. Base each section. Set timer start applying.

Also some people don't relaxe the entire head at one time. They do like half at a time. For example relax and neutralize from ears forward first, towel dry, apply coating/conditioner, and clamp up. Relax and neutralize from ears back. Take out clamp neutralize and condition entire head. That way instead of doing the entire head at once and being overwhelmed. You do the head in two sections and can take your time.

AnjelLuvs

I tried to be a cheap arse, an d self relax, can we say NEEVA again... I am underprocessed in some areas... I used to be a really good self permer, BUT after doing myself, realized that, I was good when my hair wasnt almost bra strap...

trinidarkie1

Okay, so I am really jealous!
I've stretched for 11 weeks so far, and I think I have about 1 cm new growth!! What's that about?
Now the thing is, my hair doesnt get nappy when it grows out, so unless I dont comb my hair, I dont see the new growth that well unless there's product in it.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with a relaxer.
I apply a base to my scalp, ears, forehead etc. I would use vaseline, some grease that my hubby uses, and then powder with baby powder if I really need the extra protection.
Nonw I use a base I bought at the BSS.

I part my hair in 4 and start in the top part of the back sections. The front middle of my hair is the finest and grows the slowest, so it processes quicker.
I use my fingers to smooth and I always use a applicator brush or a rat tail comb. This time I will avoid using a rat tail and try a wider tooth comb.

Right now I am trying to make it to 12 weeks, but I can see myself in the tub tomorrow rinsing out relaxer :lol:

baglady215

Parting was my biggest problem, but now I use the ponytail method that I learned here a while ago.

Part your hair in small sections and secure them with those small rubberbands. I only do the sectioning in the back. My front is easier to part and apply. While parted, apply the relaxer to each mini section. After relaxer is applied throughout the whole head, remove each rubberband section by section and smooth.

This cut my application time in half and leaves more time for smoothing. I still end up a bit underprocessed, but I've come to the conclusion that my hair is not meant to get bone straight...

Edie

Tanelions said:
I'm a self relaxer. It seems when I go to the salon after stretching there is always some comment, like 1-2in of newgrowth is going to take so much longer. By the time they get finished applying it, I'm burning and still need time to process. So that's why I definatly do it myself. I only use my hands for apply and smoothing. With the index finger and middle finger of my dominant hand, I apply. The ring and pinky finger I used for parting. The other hand is used to help get the hair out of the way and assist in parting. I like using latex gloves because the ones in the box suck, there are a horrible fit and mess with my time. Weird method I know, :dork: But it gets the job done.

How can you guys see the back of your heads to do your relaxer? I mean there would be no problem doing the front part, because you can see the new growth, but the back is a blind area.

baglady215

Edie said:
How can you guys see the back of your heads to do your relaxer? I mean there would be no problem doing the front part, because you can see the new growth, but the back is a blind area.

I feel for the NG with my hands.

amy1234

Re: Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks plus of new growth

I use ouchless elastic bands to separate each section. Application is complete within 5-8 min, smooth and then I just slide them off!

trinidarkie1

I know my head well enough to know what I am doing.
I've been self relaxing for about 5/6 years. I cant tell you when last I let someone put a perm in my hair.

I dont need to see the roots to know when it's done or not. After I smooth in with my fingers, I can tell where needs a few extra and where doesnt.

amy1234

Lovelylocs said:
How do u know when your hair is done processing? What should it look like?
The roots should be very smooth, and you should also apply a thick layer of relaxer on each section.

goldensensation

I've been self-relaxing for a few years as well. I missed a section of hair in the front during my last relaxer. :mad: About the size of a dime. By the time I realized that no relaxer had touched it, it was too late. I relax every three to four months, so I always have tons of new growth. I kind of like it that way because there is less room for error and I dont relax my hair bone straight anyway. Naturally I am a 3c/4a and when I relax, I become a 2b/3b/c. :confused:

shunta

sky_blu said:
I stopped self relaxing my hair for exactly that reason. UNDERPROCESSING. I'd rather pay someone to relax me evenly and have my hair come out nicely than to try again. It cost a pretty penny but like Loreal Im worth it :lol:

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Hats off to all you ladies who can self-relax successfully. Hopefeully one day I can get there.

SkinnyMocah

I used to, but I also used to do it WRONG. I'm having the salon do it.

lana

I'm so glad I learned how to do everything at home I don't know what to say!

I texlax at home. Basically I apply the base to my hair specifically for relaxing. Then I start at my most kinky part. Usually the back middle. I relax the top first, back next, edges all around last. Then I lightly smooth with my fingers the first, second and edges. Just a little bit.

I'm texlaxed so I like to keep my texture. Now the only thing I don't like is how my hair feels after the nuetralizing shampoo. It really feels stripped. Almost like a clarifying shampoo. How do you guys prevent that?

I want the relaxer out...but I don't want hard hair, or breakage after.

Lana

Lady Esquire

Serenity, hey girl. I am sorry to hear you had problems with your relaxer. I hope you took progress pics 'cause I love your hair! Anyway, I made the decision to return to self-relaxing after having so many bad experiences with different stylists. I have another month or two before my next touch-up, so in the meantime, I have been reading fotki tutorials and info on the net.

London Diva (tutuorial w/pics), RedHotLala, Lauren450, and some others do theirs in different sections and parts. I accumulated some helpful info on my fotki: http://journals.fotki.com/LadyEsquire/self-relaxing/

HTH for next relaxer! ;)

amina kamal

I voted yes. My last relaxer was after a 12 week stretch and I had plenty of new growth on top of sections that were under processed from the last relaxer I did. I was really having a hard time this time and really got overwhemeled with trying not to get any previously relaxed hair and also trying to maneuver through all of that growth. Next time I will definitely try the two section method, in fact I about to go to lonei's tutorial right now.

:)

TLC1020

I voted Yes as well 10-12wks is most the most difficult for me, that's why I start with the part that is the most difficult which is about 2" above my nape then work my way forward, the last part I relax is the the bottom 2" then the edges last.

Sha76

I voted Yes. I relax roughly every 12-15 weeks.

I am new to self relaxing, but I do use a rat tail comb ( just for parting) and race through and smooth with my fingers. I will try next time to blow my hair out a few days before to de kink for easier parting. i am sure that will help a lot.

RubyWoo

I found doing the half/half method(Thanks Lonei ;)) very, helpful. For the most part I was successful. The only problem is that I was running low on relaxer when I was completing my last section so I was a little underprocessed there but nothing major.

I'm going to try pre-parting the hair before I relax as mentioned in this thread to help with efficiency. I just know my next relax will be perfect all around because of it.

newflowers

A few days before relaxing, I deep conditioned with heat on dry hair, put in the castor oil, and washed it out with conditioner. My hair felt a little coated, but that was good. It was also really easy to detangle the new growth. I put it in a pony tail (a tiny one) and let it dry. When I relaxed a couple of days later, the hair was still smooth and detangled - easy to part with the tail of the comb.

I have been self relaxing for decades, but this is the first time I have ever streched - I was so proud of myself - I made it to ten weeks. I was really worried about overlapping -something I never even thought about before. I purchased a pastry bag with hard plastic tips and used that to apply the relaxer. It was a bit awkward at first, but kind of fun too once I was in the swing of it. As a result, I did not overlap, and the relaxer went on fast enough that I had time to smooth, though it did take a bit longer than usual - the overlapping issue was getting to me.

Now of someone has a plan other than the pasty bag for applying without overlappying, I would really like to know.

SelfStyled

A few days before relaxing, I deep conditioned with heat on dry hair, put in the castor oil, and washed it out with conditioner. My hair felt a little coated, but that was good. It was also really easy to detangle the new growth. I put it in a pony tail (a tiny one) and let it dry. When I relaxed a couple of days later, the hair was still smooth and detangled - easy to part with the tail of the comb.

I have been self relaxing for decades, but this is the first time I have ever streched - I was so proud of myself - I made it to ten weeks. I was really worried about overlapping -something I never even thought about before. I purchased a pastry bag with hard plastic tips and used that to apply the relaxer. It was a bit awkward at first, but kind of fun too once I was in the swing of it. As a result, I did not overlap, and the relaxer went on fast enough that I had time to smooth, though it did take a bit longer than usual - the overlapping issue was getting to me.

Now of someone has a plan other than the pasty bag for applying without overlappying, I would really like to know.

OMG!!!:blush:- That is such a good idea. I want to practice w/ some conditioner. I WILL be buying a pastry bag ASAP. Thank for that tip:notworthy:woot::kiss::hug2::headspin::urock::sweet: Can you tell I'm excited?

newflowers

OMG!!!:blush:- That is such a good idea. I want to practice w/ some conditioner. I WILL be buying a pastry bag ASAP. Thank for that tip:notworthy:woot::kiss::hug2::headspin::urock::sweet: Can you tell I'm excited?

I'mm so glad I was not laughed off the forum. When I told Dh, he thought I had lost my mind, but he loves me anyway. It works 0 takes a little practice, but you have absolutel control over where you put the relaxer and how much at a time.

Good luck.

Tamrin

unapologetic

Im in love with the pastry bag idea. Im gonna get one. I use the color brush to apply relaxer now. it ok but sometimes you end up underprocessing and olverlapping too.. Thanks for the great idea. I will post my results when I relax November 1st. Im 15 weeks now going to 21 weeks.

TLC1020

I use to have difficult relaxing after stretching b/c my hair would be so thick and coarse but over time I've gotten much better... I touch-up between 10-12 weeks b/c after that my hair begin to dred at the roots :blush:
I found that deep conditioning really help to loosen the curl pattern..

luvmesumhair

What about those bottles used to apply hair color? U know, the clear ones that have measurements on the outside and the tip has a little hole in it with a red top? You put the relaxer in it, screw the top on and proceed with parting and applying (squeezing) the relaxer on the NG.

I just thought of this. Have to figure how to get the perm inside the bottle. Any suggestions?

dillard

i really want to start relaxing my hair myself! i've never ever done it and i was planning on doing it in december after my 4 month stretch! we'll see...

i've read some really great ideas though, i like the idea of just using my fingers to smooth instead of a comb... and using the dye-bottle to apply the relaxer. hmmm