Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks & plus new growth

Do you self relax after stretching your perm?

• Yes

Votes: 193 75.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 24.3%

• Total voters
Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks plus of new growth

My last relaxer I tried to wait approx 10 weeks to relax my hair. My new growth is very coarse and I had such a hard time sectioning my hair thru all the new growth. Unfortunately, I could not relax all of my hair evenly and plenty of it went underprocessed.

Ladies that stretch and self relax, what methods/pre treatments do you do/use to help you move thru the new growth swiftly?

Last edited:

Shawnee66

Re: Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks plus of new growth

When I go past 10 weeks my new growth is the same way so I have to relax in two sections. I cover either the front or the back with a plastic cap. I relax the section I didn't cover. After I rinse I use 5 in 1 by Affirm and then relax the covered section.

My last self-relaxer went very well because I sectioned my hair a few days before and applied castor oil to the roots.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I dont do any pretreatments, I finger comb through my NG then base my scalp before I start sectioning my hair. I wouldnt use any small combs like a rat tail or anything similar to that.

sky_blu

I stopped self relaxing my hair for exactly that reason. UNDERPROCESSING. I'd rather pay someone to relax me evenly and have my hair come out nicely than to try again. It cost a pretty penny but like Loreal Im worth it :lol:

MissYocairis

Shawnee66 said:
When I go past 10 weeks my new growth is the same way so I have to relax in two sections. I cover either the front or the back with a plastic cap. I relax the section I didn't cover. After I rinse I use 5 in 1 by Affirm and then relax the covered section.

My last self-relaxer went very well because I sectioned my hair a few days before and applied castor oil to the roots.

I did this method for the first time last month after reading about it here on LHCF. The method mentioned was 3 sections but I did it in 2 sections with the plastic cap and all. I have NEVER had such a successful self-relax, EVER. It was as if someone else had done it for me. Worked awsome! ;)

HoneyDew

I just don't know how to handle all the new growth. Once I went about 16 weeks without a relaxer. I have weaves in the whole time, but after I got the last one removed, I had to go to a professional to do it for me. I did not even know where to start!

jasmin

I'm going to do my hair in 2 sections next time.

Shawnee66, do you leavein the 5 n 1 while you relax the other section?

Jewell

I am transitioning, but the last time I relaxed my hair I did it myself after an 11 week stretch w/2+ inches of new growth.

Babygurl

I am a self relaxer that stretches my relaxer from 10-16 weeks depending on the season. I section my hair with my fingers and base my scalp, while relaxing I use a wide tooth comb to part it. I find that the more you self relax the easier it becomes, so practice makes perfect.

ryanshope

I have coarse 4a/b and I normally go for 12 weeks.

It helps alot when I start hot oil treating at 8 weeks or so, and I roller set 90% of the time...
I always base my hair(using vasoline or castor oil)
I part in to three partst(two pigs to the side and a pony in the back)
I use Mizani Sensitive scalp(I haven't burned once since switching)
I start with the middle, and I don't relax the nap of my neck
I use the widest tooth comb I can find this makes it easier to get to the new growth; I smooth with a regular size comb, but no rat tails when I relax--I apply and smooth(20-25minutes)
I use Wella's Regenal treatment immediately after relaxing and prior to shampooing w/nuetralizer(this is a neutralizing solution)
I leave this in for a minute or so undistrubed.
I wash several times with the neutralizing shampoo(this is the longest part for me, 20-30 minutes)

I really like the idea of perming in parts. T hat, I think I can handle. I do have a few more questions for the ladies who separate in two sections:

Does the roots of the second half get wet with shampoo/h20 when you rinse out the first half?

How long do you wait to perm the second half?

Does the division line get overlapped with perm?

Thankkkkks

sweetness0099 said:
I have coarse 4a/b and I normally go for 12 weeks.

It helps alot when I start hot oil treating at 8 weeks or so, and I roller set 90% of the time...
I always base my hair(using vasoline or castor oil)
I part in to three partst(two pigs to the side and a pony in the back)
I use Mizani Sensitive scalp(I haven't burned once since switching)
I start with the middle, and I don't relax the nap of my neck
I use the widest tooth comb I can find this makes it easier to get to the new growth; I smooth with a regular size comb, but no rat tails when I relax--I apply and smooth(20-25minutes)
I use Wella's Regenal treatment immediately after relaxing and prior to shampooing w/nuetralizer(this is a neutralizing solution)
I leave this in for a minute or so undistrubed.
I wash several times with the neutralizing shampoo(this is the longest part for me, 20-30 minutes)

I think I will adopt your wide tooth comb theory, it makes sense..I drive myself crazy with that tiny rat tail comb.

Hmmm...Wella's? I have never heard of this..I must go shopping. Anything to get the PH balance down I am all for it!

Thanks

Last edited:

Shawnee66

jasmin said:
I'm going to do my hair in 2 sections next time.

Shawnee66, do you leavein the 5 n 1 while you relax the other section?

Yeah, I leave it in eventhough the bottle says to only leave it in for 5 mins.

Shawnee66

This is how I prevent the section of my hair that I'm not relaxing for getting wet; if I relax the front section first, I rinse my hair over the tub so all the water flows into the tub. If I relax the back section first I get in the tub and lean my head back under the shower, I find that this techniques helps keep the unrelaxed section dry.

caligirl

I think its a good idea to rollerset your hair first, but don't blowdry/flatiron the roots. That way your hair should be less tangled but your new growth is still visible.

aqualung

It's lose-lose for me, whether I relax at home or at the salon. At home I underprocess and don't smooth thoroughly and freak out when time's up. At the salon, the stylists rip through/rip out the new growth to get finished in time. Parting the 4b new growth makes it tough, even when I flat iron as close to the scalp as possible the weekend before the touch up.

Hair-brained scheme: loosely cornrow hair before relaxing the roots. The hair would be parted and the length of it out of the way. I could devote all 17-25 minutes of the relaxer to application and smoothing, and none to parting. I might try this at home.

Mizani_Mrs

I used to self relax ages ago....I found a stylist who does a great job. but it burns like HAIL because she adds the relaxer to my edges first. which im afraid that this will cause me to loose my hairline. But anyways, i am going to start self-relaxing one of these days.

I always do my last pre-relaxer wash like 4 to 6 days before my relaxer. and I ALWAYS use a blow-drier to straigten the roots. No high heat, just low heat and hold the hair taut wit a paddle brush. My roots dry wavy instead of nappy, packed, hard. This allows my stylist to quickly relax my hair...she times herself and she puts it in, smoothes and rinses in 13mins......

its very important for me to straighten my roots because if i didn't, firstly it'd take for ever to part thru the hair and relax it...my head would be on fire. and secondly my scalp is too sensitive to permit rough combing thru my nappy roots while a relaxer is in.

also i did see a stylist do the method of only relaxing the top first. I asked the lady how she likes it and she says it works!!!

Shawnee66 said:
This is how I prevent the section of my hair that I'm not relaxing for getting wet; if I relax the front section first, I rinse my hair over the tub so all the water flows into the tub. If I relax the back section first I get in the tub and lean my head back under the shower, I find that this techniques helps keep the unrelaxed section dry.

Sheesh... it all sounds so complicated. :( I think it would be easier to empty 55 bucks out of my wallet to pay someone else to do it for me.

lisajames96

I usually stretch 12-16 weeks, then I self relax. I was having issues with underprossesing also, but I can live with that rather go to a stylist. I have gained more knowledge from this forum, so I am better at self relaxing now. I know some may think it's a no, no, but I grease my scalp with shea butter and a little isoplus grease the night before I relax. I don't get any burns and I am able to work longer than 10 minutes without worrying about my head burning...
:cool:

Faith

I had this issue too so my next one I'll wash and blowdry about 5-7 days before so it's easier to go through. What I was doing was airdrying my hair so 7-14 days later when you go to relax it's impossible to comb through anything and it's not as if I can wash again.

MissYocairis

Shawnee66 said:

What a neat idea. Did you apply the castor oil two days before touchup just the one time? That's excellent. :p

Lovelylocs

How do u know when your hair is done processing? What should it look like?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl

Hey SerenityBreeze!

My hair twin...lol hehe I don't come on here as much as I used too. Girl..why am I am 11 weeks and 1 day post relaxer and my new growth feels like its matted to my scalp. I plan on self relaxing tonight actually. When I do my hair I usually part my hair at least 10 sections for even distribution. I start in the back because the back of my head takes longer to straighten and work my way up my head. It has worked pretty well for me for years now. I have alot of new growth and will be posting pics this weekend for an album update! Whew finally!!:D Have you given yourself a touch-up yet?

Tanelions

I'm a self relaxer. It seems when I go to the salon after stretching there is always some comment, like 1-2in of newgrowth is going to take so much longer. By the time they get finished applying it, I'm burning and still need time to process. So that's why I definatly do it myself. I only use my hands for apply and smoothing. With the index finger and middle finger of my dominant hand, I apply. The ring and pinky finger I used for parting. The other hand is used to help get the hair out of the way and assist in parting. I like using latex gloves because the ones in the box suck, there are a horrible fit and mess with my time. Weird method I know, :dork: But it gets the job done.

Leigh

Tanelions said:
I'm a self relaxer. It seems when I go to the salon after stretching there is always some comment, like 1-2in of newgrowth is going to take so much longer. By the time they get finished applying it, I'm burning and still need time to process. So that's why I definatly do it myself. I only use my hands for apply and smoothing. With the index finger and middle finger of my dominant hand, I apply. The ring and pinky finger I used for parting. The other hand is used to help get the hair out of the way and assist in parting. I like using latex gloves because the ones in the box suck, there are a horrible fit and mess with my time. Weird method I know, :dork: But it gets the job done.

This is what I do too. I make 4 sections, and start at the crown. The hair nearest the edges is the last that is relaxed in all 4 sections. I do it really quickly and then go back through to make sure relaxer is on all parts. I then rinse it out. The main thing is to get the relaxer in the hair quickly and then go back and smooth. I don't base my scalp, just the hairline and ears. I also use latec gloves. Walmart has a box for about $5 in the bandaid section. I don't like stylist relaxing my hair either because they are too slow. I feel like parts of my hair are being overprocessed.

BAILEYSCREAM

SerenityBreeze said:
My last relaxer I tried to wait approx 10 weeks to relax my hair. My new growth is very coarse and I had such a hard time sectioning my hair thru all the new growth. Unfortunately, I could not relax all of my hair evenly and plenty of it went underprocessed.

Ladies that stretch and self relax, what methods/pre treatments do you do/use to help you move thru the new growth swiftly?

I put vaseline all around my hairline including my ears, then I section from the back, apply the relaxer to the top and bottom new growth an then part until I get to the front.

I use a brush to apply, not a comb and then I sue my fingers to smooth fro a few minutes before I wash it all out.....I texturize so I never comb it through.

I don't apply anything to the roots as this will just make the hair take longer to process...I occasionally add Aphoghee Essential Fatty Acids oil to the relaxing cream (about a teaspoon) to condition the hair.

HTH.