Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks & plus new growth

Do you self relax after stretching your perm?

• Yes

Votes: 193 75.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 24.3%

• Total voters

OrangeMoon

What about those bottles used to apply hair color? U know, the clear ones that have measurements on the outside and the tip has a little hole in it with a red top? You put the relaxer in it, screw the top on and proceed with parting and applying (squeezing) the relaxer on the NG.

I just thought of this. Have to figure how to get the perm inside the bottle. Any suggestions?

I thought about that too. When I went to Sally's I was eyeing the applicator bottles and wondering would it work. There were two I found one similar to this
and ther is another about this size
(6 oz). As you can see the first bottle has a larger opening compared to the second so maybe putting the relaxer in with a plastic knife or spoon may work. :rolleyes:

luvmesumhair

I thought about that too. When I went to Sally's I was eyeing the applicator bottles and wondering would it work. There were two I found one similar to this
and ther is another about this size
(6 oz). As you can see the first bottle has a larger opening compared to the second so maybe putting the relaxer in with a plastic knife or spoon may work. :rolleyes:

Yep. I want to try it when I am ready to t/up my hair. If you do it, let me know how you were able to get the perm in the bottle.

loved

Wow. Applying the relaxer w/ an aid like a bottle or pastry bag sounds like a winning plan if you pre-part enough sections and cut a big enough tip in the bottle to get an adequate amount of relaxer of my roots. I am coming off my first stretch. I will be relaxing in 7 days and I am afraid . . .I am very afraid.

luvmesumhair

Wow. Applying the relaxer w/ an aid like a bottle or pastry bag sounds like a winning plan if you pre-part enough sections and cut a big enough tip in the bottle to get an adequate amount of relaxer of my roots. I am coming off my first stretch. I will be relaxing in 7 days and I am afraid . . .I am very afraid.

U will be alright girl. Just take your time. How many weeks/months post are u?

newflowers

What about those bottles used to apply hair color? U know, the clear ones that have measurements on the outside and the tip has a little hole in it with a red top? You put the relaxer in it, screw the top on and proceed with parting and applying (squeezing) the relaxer on the NG.

I just thought of this. Have to figure how to get the perm inside the bottle. Any suggestions?

I thought about the bottles and tried that idea first with conditioner - very, very messy and difficult to get in the bottle. It was also difficult to get the conditioner all out of the bottle - a lot of waste. With the cost of Phyto, I do not want to waste a drop of conditioner or relaxer.

I tried the pastry bag next - it's easy to put inthe conditioner (my experiment to se if the idea would work) and the relaxer. I can squeeze all of the product out of the bag, it's fast, and the thickness of the product (conditioner and relaxer) does not matter.

I also think it is possible to do this with a zip lock bag - just put the relaxer in, zip if closed, cut a tip in one of the corners, and tada - homemade pastry bag.

If you can make the bottle work for you, I'd really like to know how you did it. I would like to try it.

AllAboutTheHair

I also think it is possible to do this with a zip lock bag - just put the relaxer in, zip if closed, cut a tip in one of the corners, and tada - homemade pastry bag.

If you can make the bottle work for you, I'd really like to know how you did it. I would like to try it.

See, that is exactly why I LOOOVVVVEEEE this forum. Intelligent people with street sense too. You just saved everyone alot of money, who doesn't have a zip loc bag?

Energee

This thread is WONDERFUL:yep:. I've considered self-relaxing but not sure about it yet....... I think I need to read more and get more ideas/techniques from members here before I attempt it myself.

Lots of great info in this thread....

Lady Esquire

It's lose-lose for me, whether I relax at home or at the salon. At home I underprocess and don't smooth thoroughly and freak out when time's up. At the salon, the stylists rip through/rip out the new growth to get finished in time. Parting the 4b new growth makes it tough, even when I flat iron as close to the scalp as possible the weekend before the touch up.

I couldn't of said it any better. I have this problem too. Based on the previous responses from some of the other women, relaxing in 2 or 3 parts sounds like the best solution to the self-relaxer's issue with underprocessing.

It certainly beats a stylist ripping through all of your hard work. This has happened to me twice and I just cannot put myself thru this again. I ordered my Affirm and awaiting for it to arrive...and its on!!!!!

SleepyJean

Re: Difficulties self relaxing 10 weeks plus of new growth

When I go past 10 weeks my new growth is the same way so I have to relax in two sections. I cover either the front or the back with a plastic cap. I relax the section I didn't cover. After I rinse I use 5 in 1 by Affirm and then relax the covered section.

My last self-relaxer went very well because I sectioned my hair a few days before and applied castor oil to the roots.

That's a great idea. I will have to try this.

SleepyJean

2 Questions
Has anyone ever relaxed in 4 sections? For instance, Apply the relaxer in one section, let it process, and then rinse. You would have to do this four times.

Has anyone ever used a sillicone serum for a base? You could apply the sillicone serum in the color rinse bottle mentioned once in this thread.

MzOptimistic

2 Questions
Has anyone ever relaxed in 4 sections? For instance, Apply the relaxer in one section, let it process, and then rinse. You would have to do this four times.

Has anyone ever used a sillicone serum for a base? You could apply the sillicone serum in the color rinse bottle mentioned once in this thread.

I don't think that would be possible/or a good idea, the other sections would get wet:perplexed JMHO...I relax all the time between 10-11 weeks. What keeps my newgrowth manageable is co-washing every other day..

SleepyJean

I don't think that would be possible/or a good idea, the other sections would get wet:perplexed JMHO...I relax all the time between 10-11 weeks. What keeps my newgrowth manageable is co-washing every other day..

I didn't even think of that!!! I forgot that they say do not wet your hair before you relax. I really really really appreciate your answer. Thank you

Lovelylocs

I think its a good idea to rollerset your hair first, but don't blowdry/flatiron the roots. That way your hair should be less tangled but your new growth is still visible.

Mizani Mrs said:
I always do my last pre-relaxer wash like 4 to 6 days before my relaxer. and I ALWAYS use a blow-drier to straigten the roots. No high heat, just low heat and hold the hair taut wit a paddle brush. My roots dry wavy instead of nappy, packed, hard. This allows my stylist to quickly relax my hair...she times herself and she puts it in, smoothes and rinses in 13mins......

its very important for me to straighten my roots because if i didn't, firstly it'd take for ever to part thru the hair and relax it...my head would be on fire. and secondly my scalp is too sensitive to permit rough combing thru my nappy roots while a relaxer is in.

I agree. You need to rollerset ur hair first, or straighten it in some way. It's quicker and easier that way.

Isis

2 Questions

I self relax in 5 sections or more if I feel like I need to. :yep: It does take more time and for me that means in and out of the shower that many times. However, it's been worth it to me since I can spend more "time" focusing my 10 minutes on each section of newgrowth--both application and smoothing time. ;) It's also easy, in my experience and always successful. :)

My regimen is in my Fotki under "About Me". Scroll down to My Texlax Procedure:
http://members.fotki.com/Isis33/about/

Isis

If it's done correctly, the other sections can stay dry. :yep: I have never had a problem relaxing in sections and actually won't do it any other way.

Spongie Bloom

ive self relaxed twice befoe first time around on virgin hair it was easy peasy and it came out brilliant second and third time around some problems and i think im a little underprocessed this time around i will do the half half me thinks

SmartyPants

I just don't know how to handle all the new growth. Once I went about 16 weeks without a relaxer. I have weaves in the whole time, but after I got the last one removed, I had to go to a professional to do it for me. I did not even know where to start!

This is where I am... I've been chronically underprocessing my hair anyway. I am stretching for 13 weeks and am not planning to even think about doing my hair myself. Besides, I kinda wanted to go back to a lye relaxer and there is NO WAY I'm putting one of those in my own hair!

wannabelong

I used to self relax ages ago....I found a stylist who does a great job. but it burns like HAIL because she adds the relaxer to my edges first. which im afraid that this will cause me to loose my hairline. But anyways, i am going to start self-relaxing one of these days.

I always do my last pre-relaxer wash like 4 to 6 days before my relaxer. and I ALWAYS use a blow-drier to straigten the roots. No high heat, just low heat and hold the hair taut wit a paddle brush. My roots dry wavy instead of nappy, packed, hard. This allows my stylist to quickly relax my hair...she times herself and she puts it in, smoothes and rinses in 13mins......

its very important for me to straighten my roots because if i didn't, firstly it'd take for ever to part thru the hair and relax it...my head would be on fire. and secondly my scalp is too sensitive to permit rough combing thru my nappy roots while a relaxer is in.

also i did see a stylist do the method of only relaxing the top first. I asked the lady how she likes it and she says it works!!!

This is good advice. I think I'm going to do this for me and my daughter, this will make relaxing much easier after a 12 week stretch. Thanks!

hairdrama:{

The last wash b4 my relaxer I detangle my hair pretty well and wear it on a French braid the whole week (I usually re-braid every other day). The day of my relaxer I undo the braid, base my scalp and length of hair (being careful not to base the new grow), divide hair is 4 equal parts and do one section at a time. It's easier for me that way even thought it takes longer but the results are worth it.

P.S. I always stretch for 12 weeks and I don't relax bone straight.

ekomba

My last relaxer I tried to wait approx 10 weeks to relax my hair. My new growth is very coarse and I had such a hard time sectioning my hair thru all the new growth. Unfortunately, I could not relax all of my hair evenly and plenty of it went underprocessed.

Ladies that stretch and self relax, what methods/pre treatments do you do/use to help you move thru the new growth swiftly?

woww i have no tips but wow 10 weeks post i always underprocessed if i do it myself i dont know why it never looks permed. even my last touch up as soon as they put it on the roots they rinse it!:grin: lol so there s texture still at the roots but i dont even recognize my bone straight hair everything has thickened up and is wild. my next relaxer touch up is suposedly due october 19 as the last one was august 19!!!! but i already have mad roots go figure!!!!
i'd love to know the secret to self relax too cause i think double dipping is the only way for my hair to come out bone straight it s so thick hehe now let me read but for now i only go to the hairdresser. but my friend told me to go get a touch up now but it s only been since august 19 i had one i'm trying to hold on till oct 19 but it is really hard

KdsLady09

I have been relaxed since I was 10, and for about 90% of the perms I have received, I have put them in myself. Since I have found LHCF and have started stretching, I find that moisturing my NG thoroughly (mainly with water based moisturizers like NTM and rosewater/glycerin mix) for the week up to self-relaxing helps to work through the new growth. This last time I was 15 weeks and these are the steps that I used:

Part hair with fingers (I had to be very gentle in the kitchen area where my NG was like a forest), I based my scalp, forehead, ears with Summit Sensitive Scalp Base.

I then apply EVOO to my the middle of my already relaxed hair and to the ends to protect it from when I rinse the relaxer out.

Section hair into six parts (part down middle of head and section both sides into thirds), also using my fingers. Secure sections with small ponytail holders.

I believe the true key to my success with self relaxing is that I apply my relaxers with a perm brush. http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Color-Brush-brush-salon/dp/B000TGEX1C.

I start with my most course section and part small sections with the end of the perm brush. Apply to new growth then continue throughout that small section then move on to the others accordingly.

The brush not only allows me to control the amount of relaxer I am using, but also to limit where the relaxer is being placed. For the back of my head I use my fingers to feel for the demarcation line. the parting in small sections with the end of the comb allows me to be able to ensure I get all of the good spots too.

Once all is applied it is important to work it in. I have become very good at keeping my application time to 10 mins. I don't know who first suggested this on this board, but I think it is a good idea to practice applying the perm with conditioner first. That way you can get an idea of what works best for you.

Sorry this is so long. Hope this helps!

p381

I was really worried about overlapping -something I never even thought about before. I purchased a pastry bag with hard plastic tips and used that to apply the relaxer. It was a bit awkward at first, but kind of fun too once I was in the swing of it. As a result, I did not overlap, and the relaxer went on fast enough that I had time to smooth, though it did take a bit longer than usual - the overlapping issue was getting to me.

Excellent idea!
Also like the idea of perming the hair in sections (i.e Relaxing/Texlaxing one section & shampooing it out, then repeating this on each section).........Genius!:grin:
Thanks kdsLady For reviving this thread!

Last edited:

MrsSmitty77

When I go past 10 weeks my new growth is the same way so I have to relax in two sections. I cover either the front or the back with a plastic cap. I relax the section I didn't cover. After I rinse I use 5 in 1 by Affirm and then relax the covered section.

My last self-relaxer went very well because I sectioned my hair a few days before and applied castor oil to the roots.

This is a great idea!!! I think I am going to try this next time. My last relaxer was so underproccess I am currently at 3 weeks and it feels like 5 or 6. I think I am going to do the front Rinse and then do the back.

HairBarbie

Ladies that self relax or relax at home with a friend/family memeber doing it for you, how long does it take you to do the whole relaxing process.

Also, how do you go about preventing breakage due to self relaxing or even just relaxing in general.

MsWhite

Ladies that self relax or relax at home with a friend/family memeber doing it for you, how long does it take you to do the whole relaxing process.

Also, how do you go about preventing breakage due to self relaxing or even just relaxing in general.

I let my mother relax my hair she has been doing it for years..I only get a relaxer twice a year.. It usually takes her 35 min to apply the relaxer she is no professional... So what I do is mix a cap full of Aphogee's Essential Fatty Acid Oil and a teaspoon of olive oil to slow down the processing time...Then I coat my previously relaxed hair with oil so the relaxer does not overlap...After she washes my hair no less than five times...I follow with a protien conditioner either gpb or jocio kpak Reconstructor...the protien right after curbs breakage for me..after that i follow up with a moisturizing conditioner..hope that helps

ellehair

Since I have found the boards I have relaxed 2x and incorporated the 2 section process and it work wonders ladies.. I will no longer relax any other way. Only my nape is underprocessed but i am nursing it back to health so this was done purposely.. I will do a corrective on it sometime down the line..