Let's Talk BRAIDS!

Misseyl

I just want to comment on the fact that few of your guys mentioned that you shouldn't leave the braids in for more that 2 months at a time. Well I've been wearing box braids, non-stop for about 2 years and 6 months and I will come back and say what happen if it damaged my hair in any way. I self-braid so it's not that tight and also I don't braid my edges because they were shot from the beginning. Anyway I am cosigning to this thread and will follow-up in 2 months and 2 days.

baddison

natural for good
:ohwell:
BRAIDS! BRAIDS! BRAIDS!

It not that I love braids its the fact that they love me. I can rock any type of braid style and look beautiful. Hair weaves and short cuts do nothing for me. I'm wearing braids now from January 2012 to Dec 2012 to regrow my crown after a bad bleach job left that portion completely BALD (nothing left but fuzz so it took 2 months before I could get it braided).

1)I use human hair extensions for more body and if I'm being cheap they have human/synthetic blends that work just as good (may use permanently). I always get my braids a bit larger than micros.
View attachment 149153

View attachment 149155

View attachment 149157

2) I am not a stylist not with my hair or any hair. I own a blow dryer and curling iron just cause I think a woman should. I have NEVER used a flat iron and don't know how they work. I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday and a bun for church or more formal events.

3) I use grease my scalp 3 times a week, and I use IC Deep Penetrating daily conditioner every other day then seal with organic coconut oil. My hair is NEVER dry and because if that I have very little shedding so I lose very few strands when taking down.

4)I break ALL the rules about washing cause I am not a fan. I hate washing my hair or braids and I have to be forced to when it starts to smell. This is because I have titanium rods along both sides of my spine and the entire spine is fused so I'm not bending or leaning unless by forced by mr. stinky.

5) I get my edges (2 front and 2 back rows) redone every 4 weeks. Because of the severe damage done to my crown I don't give my hair a few weeks break like I used to. If I take it down tonight that's because its getting redone in the morning.

6) My edges get thin first time around but always grows back so that does not bother me.

7)The most important thing GET A GOOD BRAIDER AND KEEP HER! My girl is the best and it cost $100 for my small head. I am now family and she braids my her at home. She knows about my backs issues and makes sure I'm comfortable. She cooks and feeds me every time and she's offended if I bring my own snacks. I take DVDs for us to watch, while I sit in the floor on a huge pillow and shes sits in the couch behind me and chat away for 8 hours. When I need edge touch ups it's "just leave something on the table." I don't take advantage of her, if I have $20 today I'd make sure I have $50 at my next fresh up. RELATIONSHIP is key! She mourned the loss of my crown as I did!

Great testimonial about your braider. By any chance is she in New Jersey? I need a really good stylist/braider in northern new jersey.:ohwell:

MzSwift

How did you blend the free tress water wave for the individual braids around your edges? I am planning on redoing my crochet braids with free tress next week and I would love to leave out my parameter for more options. TIA

winona

I usually include my edges in my braids. But the good thing about the Freetress hair is that it'll be easy to blend because the more you pull it apart, the fluffier it gets.

If you do it, please post some pictures!

braidqueen

:ohwell:

Great testimonial about your braider. By any chance is she in New Jersey? I need a really good stylist/braider in northern new jersey.:ohwell:

We are quite some distance away from New Jersey, but do you really need a reason to come to the Bahamas? We are vacation capital of the world.

The islands of the Bahamas. They just keep getting better.