Self Braiders/Twisters, share your tips here!

Nonie

prettypuff1 said:
can someone help me with starting the braids. I am getting them started fine, it is just they are too low. I dont want them tight, but just up a little closer to the scalp.. help
I think this will just come with practice. In the tutorial I shared, I explained that I hold the "cross-over" of the extension hair against the base of my own hair which is already divided into three and then I'd divide my hair to match the extension hair without allowing extension hair to leave the base, and then start braiding. Let me see if I can be clearer.

Using middle finger and thumb of right hand, I hold the divided extension hair's cross-over against the base of my undivided hair. With fingers of left hand, I section 1/3 of my hair and hold it against one extension section as close to the base of my own hair as possible. Then I transfer base hold of cross-over to the left hand that just did separation so the other can do the same on the other side. To ensure the paired up section doesn't mix back into the central portion and that the extension hair doesn't slide away from base, I use the left hand's index finger and part of thumb near tip to firmly hold cross-over against the base as before (that's the take-over), while the middle finger and part of thumb near knuckle of left hand holds the paired sections on the left so they do not mix back.The newly free right hand's fingers now do the sectioning off of 1/3 of my hair on the other side and match it to one section of the extension hair. (The right hand is relaxed because the left hand is making sure the extension stays in place). Just as with left hand, it's the right hand's middle finger and thumb near knuckle that hold the newly matched pair together. So the upper part of right thumb and index finger are free to take over base+"cross-over", which is also now center section of my hair automatically matched to center section of extension. So the hold is:

- left middle finger and thumb holding base of left pair;
- right index finger and part of right thumb holding base of middle pair pinning cross-over to base (This was the take-over)
- right middle finger and part of right thumb holding base of right pair

Time to start braiding: Starting with right pair, take over the central pair which is still held in place by right index and thumb. Left index and thumb receive the pair you're crossing over as close to base as possible since that pair now becomes central (base) section...and guess what: the left hand is now in-command of holding braid at base (Remember this is what we have been calling the cross-over/base - the central section). Right fingers can relax a little, and can smooth the previously middle section which is now on the right (helps to keep hair nice and smoothly matched). OK, time for right hand to get busy. Holding this new right section at base with middle and thumb so the index of right and part of thumb is about to be "in command": reaching over to the left right index/thumb receive the pair that up to now has been on the left, coz it's its turn to cross over and become centre section. Every time your index finger reaches over for a pair, remember to hold ithe pair you receive as close to the base or cross over as possible. This should ensure that have firm and neat braids.

I am sorry that's as clear as I can explain without diagrams and lawd knows I couldn't draw the finger holds. But really, everyone I believe goes through what you're going through when they first start off. So just keep practicing; it gets easier, I promise.

Good luck!

Misseyl

LondonDiva said:
I'm always in braids. I use BT and used MTG before. It didn't make washing the hair anymore frequently infact quite the opposite. I washed it much less. I got no build up or dandruff. It was almost as if the sulfur acted like a cleanser. I applied everyday and could scratch my scalp and have nothing under my nails like I used to before with other products.

On the hair itself, like I said before I use Profectiv Breakfree on the hair section before I braid it. I slather from root to tip with the breakfree then braid. I use African Pride Braid Sheen Spray (Brown Label) on the hair itself. Those 2 products alone retain mega moisture. When I take my braids down after 3 months the hair is and maintains moist. Sometimes I use Elasta QP H-Two on the actual braids sometimes too. I guess it's like washing the actual hair without washing it if you know what I mean.

To take the braids down, especially if you have product build up at the base of the braid use Better Braids Un-Braid. This contains Salysilic acid which breaks down the build up. Spray it lightly in the scalp area ONLY about 30 minutes before taking down the braids. Undo the braids and gently separate the section where the build up occurs. For the harder to take down areas I use a fine tooth bone comb to loosen it. I find the nape and hairline areas where the build up occurs the most usually.

I don't personally deep condition. But if you want to you can scruch some leave in conditioner into the braids when damp. I sometimes use S-Curl and leave it at that or just over spray with braid spray. When I wash I don't usually let the water touch the length of the braids, I hold the hair in a pony to the side so it doesn't get wet, and use a jug with diluted shampoo and water and pour it over the scalp 2-3 times (I use Elasta QP Bodyfying Shampoo) this stuff cleanses like nobodys business. I never use a moisturising shampoo, because from past lessons no matter how diluted IMHO causes build up at the base of the braids. Therefore I only use the Bodyfying shampoo to cleanse my scalp. I don't even massage it in the scalp. I soak it all up with a towel and then apply the BT and spray with Braid sheen and leave it at that. Too much massaging whilst washing leads to premature matting if you ask me when you gain more new growth.

Hope that helps.

{in bold} but what I use is Profectiv Healthy Ends on my hair then wrap the extension around my hair and braid it. My sister told me that I should never mix my hair in w/the synthetic hair because it could break it, what I do is use my hair as one strand of hair then split the synthetic hair into two strands then proceed to braid..I spray my hair w/Scurl after wash with no deep conditioning or anything. I figure if people were growing long hair during the jerry curl era, then there must be something to this Scurl so I don't believe I need to apply all types of stuff to my braided hair.

Also, this synthetic hair is scratching the hell out of me. I was wondering if I could use human hair for box braids. I'm concerned that it would pull out or tangle too much/quickly and that's why I haven't tried it but I'm tempted because I plan to wear braids for awhile so it better be comfortable. Any suggestions???

mzhotniz86

Misseyl said:
{in bold} but what I use is Profectiv Healthy Ends on my hair then wrap the extension around my hair and braid it. My sister told me that I should never mix my hair in w/the synthetic hair because it could break it, what I do is use my hair as one strand of hair then split the synthetic hair into two strands then proceed to braid..I spray my hair w/Scurl after wash with no deep conditioning or anything. I figure if people were growing long hair during the jerry curl era, then there must be something to this Scurl so I don't believe I need to apply all types of stuff to my braided hair.

Also, this synthetic hair is scratching the hell out of me. I was wondering if I could use human hair for box braids. I'm concerned that it would pull out or tangle too much/quickly and that's why I haven't tried it but I'm tempted because I plan to wear braids for awhile so it better be comfortable. Any suggestions???

are these for braids, plaits or the kinky twists? I was thinking about doing that same thing with splitting the synthetic hair into two as well, but do you think it will work for th ekinky twists? im trying to get an idea of the different types of hair that can be used as well.my hair is THICK as heck, especially right after washing and air drying/ blowdrying and right at the end of my neck.

crlsweetie912

Mz, if you start your kinky twists with a braid, that's exactly how they do it. Three sections, fake hair, your hair and fake hair. (Two sections of the extension hair with your real hair in the middle.)
HTH.

mzhotniz86

crlsweetie912 said:
Mz, if you start your kinky twists with a braid, that's exactly how they do it. Three sections, fake hair, your hair and fake hair. (Two sections of the extension hair with your real hair in the middle.)
HTH.

oh yeh that is right! *pops self in the side of head* and its so funny because ive actually tried these on someone elses hair before . i think i had misunderstood what i read :whyme:lol . im gonna give them a try this weekend and see how it goes . wish me luck!!

crlsweetie912

mzhotniz86 said:
oh yeh that is right! *pops self in the side of head* and its so funny because ive actually tried these on someone elses hair before . i think i had misunderstood what i read :whyme:lol . im gonna give them a try this weekend and see how it goes . wish me luck!!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Good Luck!
I will be trying mine out this weekend too! :yay:

mzhotniz86

crlsweetie912 said:
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Good Luck!
I will be trying mine out this weekend too! :yay:

yaaay! be sure to take pictures 2 . hopefully after work on friday i can sit at home and start them . im gonna try and get that type of hair that londondiva has .hopefully it will match mines. do you know how to "wash" /clean the kinky twists and how often? I see all these different responses and ive never had these in my hair before. ive had regular plaits and braids and i was too harsh back then and when i would take them out , my hair was badly damaged. i saw the crown and glory method where you take a sponge or something and squeeze water through them, but I dont wanna make them look raggety too early on :D

crlsweetie912

There should be some tips in this thread. But, rule of thumb is to treat it like you would your regular hair. I have heard that some ladies put the twists into like 4 big braids or twists and use diluted shampoo to wash mostly just the scalp. And then airdry.
My digi is acting silly. I hope that it behaves if I am successful at the twists!

mzhotniz86

hmmmm, sounds like a good idea. i will do some more research on the types of poos and cons to use too. thanks for the tips too. :)

scarcity21

preciousjewel76 said:
You didn't use the afro kinky hair? I read somewhere (other hair board or the Breslin site) that kanekalon is too "soft" for kinky twists. I was thinking about ordering the Janet Collection Afro twist bulk hair (I've only seen it online, at Hairsisters). Some of the Marley braid hair I've seen in stores looks a little suspect.

Oh my God Preciousjewel, i feel so bad ...i totally forgot about this thread...just seeing it again ... i guess cos some1 posted and it got bumped....dang...u always answer my questions and now i feel bad cos u probably thinking i ignored you....pls forgive me....
i did use the marley SUSPECT BSS afro kinky hair but on the pack it says 100% kanekalon sorry for the confusion...
but i was in the BSS 3weeks ago browsing some braids magazines and i saw kinky twists done on this model's hair that looked so light and full which is the look im going for....i went ahead and ordered the hair....it came but it was weaving -kind hair...i called the company back and they said thats all they have and to cut the tracks out...when i touched it though...it was oh so soft...cant wait to take down my micros so i can try the new afro kinky hair...if you need more info or a review after ive tried it...lemme know

Ps in the future..if you have a question and i havent answered within 2 days pls pm me bcos i come to this site almost everyday but whenever i dont log in for a couple days...this always happens....thats why i dont rem half the challenges or rules to the challenges that im in....I know ..BAD:lol:

Last edited:

scarcity21

addydoll said:
also do you think it is safe for a hair braider to put gel on the hair while braiding your hair. I kept telling her I dont want gel in my hair and she okay just for the sides and the back. She also said its not gel its jam but on the product it said gel. And another lady was also braiding my hair at the same time and I told her no gel but she kept doing it too. I kept telling I didnt want it on my scalp because its going to make my scalp itch. Anyways, She was like no I'm sorry, its a reflex thing.
I hope its not bad for my hair. Heres a picture of the product. My scalp is itchy, please help.

i dont add gel when braiding my hair w/extensions.

crlsweetie912

preciousjewel76 said:
You didn't use the afro kinky hair? I read somewhere (other hair board or the Breslin site) that kanekalon is too "soft" for kinky twists. I was thinking about ordering the Janet Collection Afro twist bulk hair (I've only seen it online, at Hairsisters). Some of the Marley braid hair I've seen in stores looks a little suspect.

I have yet to see any other hair than that horrible "dream girl" brand marley hair. I went all over town this weekend looking for either the Janet or the "tasha" brand hair that Sareca suggested. I have read horror stories on the forum about Harisisters, so don't order from them!

I don't know what I am going to do for hair?:confused:

scarcity21

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks LD! I was going to ask what you ladies recommend putting on your hair (in terms of moisturizer) before braiding. I'm with you, I really don't think the gel is necessary. i use either profective in the purple tub or qhemets amla& olive heavy cream but i apply only a very small amt , u dont wanna get heavy handed to avoid build-up:)

Some other questions for y'all:
  • What do you think of using a regular ol' homemade conditioning spritz (like the "Homemade Spritz" recipe on MotownGirl's site) instead of braid spray? I'm thinking this would be easy to make, cheaper in the long run, and I could control the ingredients.
  • i say go for it...as long as its moisturising and u spritz @ least daily...preferably twice/day, ur hair should be fine...
  • Are any of you self-braiders using topical growth treatments? I just started using BT. Do these treatments necessitate washing your braids more often, and do you have to take them out earlier?
  • i use bt, sometimes lenzi when i remember but either way dont be heavy handed...u dont want greasy braids weighing ur hair down
Sorry for the bazillion questions, I just want to get some more info before I dive into this "project"!:D

did u ever dive into the 'PROJECT' and if so, where are the pics?:D

scarcity21

scarcity21 said:
Oh my God Preciousjewel, i feel so bad ...i totally forgot about this thread...just seeing it again ... i guess cos some1 posted and it got bumped....dang...u always answer my questions and now i feel bad cos u probably thinking i ignored you....pls forgive me....
i did use the marley SUSPECT BSS afro kinky hair but on the pack it says 100% kanekalon sorry for the confusion...
but i was in the BSS 3weeks ago browsing some braids magazines and i saw kinky twists done on this model's hair that looked so light and full which is the look im going for....i went ahead and ordered the hair....it came but it was weaving -kind hair...i called the company back and they said thats all they have and to cut the tracks out...when i touched it though...it was oh so soft...cant wait to take down my micros so i can try the new afro kinky hair...if you need more info or a review after ive tried it...lemme know

Ps in the future..if you have a question and i havent answered within 2 days pls pm me bcos i come to this site almost everyday but whenever i dont log in for a couple days...this always happens....thats why i dont rem half the challenges or rules to the challenges that im in....I know ..BAD:lol:

crl do u wanna see a pic of the hair i was refering to in the above post? the company is based in MD i think...Clinton and since ur in Bmore like me u should recieve ur order real fast...i got my next day

crlsweetie912

scarcity21 said:
crl do u wanna see a pic of the hair i was refering to in the above post? the company is based in MD i think...Clinton and since ur in Bmore like me u should recieve ur order real fast...i got my next day
YES! And I emailed Janet Collection company and got a response. This is the site they recommended and they have a blog too!
http://www.besthairworld.com/
I am going to order next week and I will work on my twists and post results as soon as I get the hair!!!
:D

ETA: and it's cheaper than hairsisters!
Besthairworld is only 7.99 and Hairsisters want's 12.99!

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Nonie said:
Tips: When I braid, I don't wrap the extension hair around my own, I just place it behind my own and split my hair into three parts to match the extension hair then braid them together. I tried to explain how I do my braids in a post a long time ago but don't know if my explanation was clear. Wish I could demonstrate. But anyone who is interested: my instructions are further down on the first page.

:shocked: I'm going to have to try it this way....interesting :scratchch

scarcity21

crlsweetie912 said:
YES! And I emailed Janet Collection company and got a response. This is the site they recommended and they have a blog too!
http://www.besthairworld.com/
I am going to order next week and I will work on my twists and post results as soon as I get the hair!!!
:D

ETA: and it's cheaper than hairsisters!
Besthairworld is only 7.99 and Hairsisters want's 12.99!

i will post a pic of the hair when i get home today....i paid $10/pack for the hair but $7.99 sounds good to me:grin:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
preciousjewel76 said:
It's optional, I guess, but I'm going to do it because I've never had braid extensions, and I'm worried about the synthetic hair causing damage to my own hair. That alkaline base can affect the pH of your own hair. I spent too much time & effort getting my hair in decent shape to have it sucked dry by some kanekalon!:lachen: I plan to be extra cautious!:lol:

That would probably explain why even tho I'd have length my hair would split terribly all those years I was wearing my hair braided. I never soaked the alkaline off prior to braiding my hair, not even with the set of braids I'm wearing now. :wallbash: I'm currently using human hair, does that make a difference? :confused:

scarcity21

scarcity21 said:
i will post a pic of the hair when i get home today....i paid $10/pack for the hair but $7.99 sounds good to me:grin:

CRLsweetie here ya go....

and their website is http://eonhair.com/

the hair pictured above (the one i bought) is the fluffy twist...just to let u know it is track hair...i will cut off the tracks...also its 16 inches in length.
phone # 301-877-8686

HTH

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

scarcity21:
Thanks! I have seen that site before! I think the owner posts on Black Hair Media. I don't know about cutting that hair off the track though? And I wanted to make my twists longer than shoulder length. But that's definitely good hair! They rave about it on BHM. THANKS!
Now where's Precious? The person who started this?
:lachen:

sareca

I have a confession... I've only soaked my braids in ACV water once. I use an acidifying conditioner (Nexxus) or an acidifying poo (StyleOne) for the first and second wash and call it a day.

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

EMJazzy said:
That would probably explain why even tho I'd have length my hair would split terribly all those years I was wearing my hair braided. I never soaked the alkaline off prior to braiding my hair, not even with the set of braids I'm wearing now. :wallbash: I'm currently using human hair, does that make a difference? :confused:

I don't know, but I'm so hair-anoid these days, I don't think it would hurt to soak the alkaline off of any type of extensions.

Nonie

EMJazzy, I only use human hair and I don't soak it in anything. But I will get split ends if I don't trim. I once shared hair growth pics showing that with regular trimming my hair was thick from base to ends. But when I decided to copy those who don't trim and didn't for about 5 months and my ends were so thin and sorry-looking, I ended up having to cut off about 2 inches. But I am instead of using leave-ins, I just washed my hair more often. Perhaps keeping your braids moisturized will eliminate the need for trims? I cannot remember my experience with synthetic hair (It's been years) and I wasn't into caring for hair so I couldn't say. But I've never had extension hair soaked before use. Doesn't mean I'm right. I just never have.