Let's Talk BRAIDS!

MzSwift

I'm loving these styles, ladies!:clapping:

I'm a braid lover as well, both with and without extensions.
Braids have gotten me through my first winter natural and kept me from cutting (recovering scissor addict). Lots of good advice given here.

One tip: After take down, be sure to detangle and remove as much shed hair as possible BEFORE pooing/wetting the hair. Use oil or a condish with slip to help with takedown. HTH! :)

Here are a few pix of my styles (I hope it's not too pic heavy:blush:):

Freetress Water Wave 1B/33

Twists- $1 Jumbo braiding hair (non-silky)

I wash like this:

DC & Dry like this:

HTH!

Lady Esquire

MzSwift, do you self-install? The styles with the twists are especially beautiful and chic. I'm not the biggest braids fan, and I'm working my way up to getting them done, and yours are one of the nicest I've seen.

MzSwift

Lady Esquire-
Wow, thanks! *blush*

Yes, I self install.
For a while, and when my hair was shorter, I didn't know how to attach extension hair so I had to get creative. I call them my faux extensions b/c I cheated by using small bands to attach the extensions. They work well and have the ability to last a long time. I usually take them down after about a month though b/c I miss my hair.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I love your styles MzSwift, just wish my braids were as neat. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my braids cos my camera broke and right now I'm in crochet braids.

Lyddle your braids are nice.

Lady Esquire

One tip: After take down, be sure to detangle and remove as much shed hair as possible BEFORE pooing/wetting the hair. Use oil or a condish with slip to help with takedown.

I was so busy gawking at your pics, I did not even read the helpful tip you wrote about take down. Thanks.

These two pics are my faves. Your did that huge back braid yourself upside down? Scratching my head, trying to figure how you did it.

NIN4eva

Toyokalon(sp) hair is the worst. It will look really cute when it first gets done...but if you want loose ends it will tangle and mat. You can curb this somewhat but IMO it is the poorest quality hair to braid with.

Toyokalen is the only hair I will ever use for braining. I used it for two years straight when I transitioned and I loved it. I never, ever had a problem with tangles. I did new braids every 2-2.5 months. I used ...Enstyle YAKI PONY Braiding Hair - 100% Toyokalen Fiber

shunemite

Is human hair healthier for the hair?

I've been in the 2010 braid challenge, and used both synthetic and human. Personally for me, human hair didn't dry out my hair as much, and was/is much lighter than kanekalon, especially if you get a longer hair style. As such, my hair fares better with human and doesn't break too much at the edges due the the weight of synthetic hair. But that's me. I happen to have fine hair as well so not everyone will have this experience. Human hair can be expensive sometimes, so if I am forced to buy synthetic I'm just extra careful with my edges.

Lady Esquire

I've been in the 2010 braid challenge, and used both synthetic and human. Personally for me, human hair didn't dry out my hair as much, and was/is much lighter than kanekalon, especially if you get a longer hair style. As such, my hair fares better with human and doesn't break too much at the edges due the the weight of synthetic hair. But that's me. I happen to have fine hair as well so not everyone will have this experience. Human hair can be expensive sometimes, so if I am forced to buy synthetic I'm just extra careful with my edges.

Thanks for your tip about the edges. I remember as a kid, my mom installed braids for summers and she alternated between synthetic and human...but I cannot remember which one worked best on me. All hair on the outer perimeter of my head (hairline, temples, nape) are very fragile. I might do a combo like you did.

lolascurls

To braid or not to braid?! Let us know where you stand on this.

Do it! lol! :lol: Braids are a great style. They keep me out of my hair when I'm restyling too often or getting lazy with my regimen.
I self-install and I've been doing kinky twists and cornrows with synthetic extension hair as my main styles. (I have also done crochet braids with freetress water wave bulk hair). I used to do alot of single braids in 2006-2007 but the time it took to install got to me......now, I can install in 1-2 evenings and I'm good to go! I tend to keep them in for a month because I miss my hair by then. :perplexed

Also, please share your braiding experiences, opinions, knowledge and tips.

• Don't braid within 2 weeks of a chemical process.
  • Do a good protein deep condition before and after braids.
  • Takedown technique is as important as putting them in.
  • Use oil or diluted conditioner (in a spray bottle) to aid removing the braids and the detangling process.
  • Be gentle with your hair whilst detangling.
  • Re-do the perimeter of your hair every 2-3 weeks.
  • Wash your hair whilst in braids (I co-wash or ACV rinse weekly).
  • Have a good spray conditioner mix (like diluted conditioner and water, or a braid spray) I use aloe vera juice and diluted Kid's Organics Shea butter detangling lotion for my twists currently.

Imani

MzSwift, those twist are so beautiful. I love twists.

Which leads to my question. I got a set of kinky twists this summer and I loved them, however, they tangled kinda bad with my hair once I began the take down process. They used some cheap basic Marley braid hair at the African braid shop I went to. My hair didn't seem to suffer a bunch of serious damage, however some of the pieces on my edges did look suspect after taking them down. Also, the hair was so hard and itchy. I'm 4b, and my own real hair is not even as hard and tangly as that extension hair was.

What is a good brand for twists that won't tangle/itch and is not so hard?

kbragg

Braids are getting me through my transition and helping me retain lots of length without having to manipulate my hair on a daily basis. I'm a self braider so I avoid all the issues people run into with braids (Too tight, too much hair added, too hard on the edges etc)

I've done yarn braids, senagales twists, kinky twists and right now I'm rocking a set of crochet braids. I keep my hair VERY moisturized while in braids (I've been using LadyP's deep moisture method but on dry straight hair. My hair is too fine to braid/twist wet and I'm a year into my transition so dealing with the two textures is a nightmare lol. I blow dry or maxiglide before braiding)

Here's some pics:

Senegalese Twists:

Yarn Braids:

Kinky Twists

Crochet Braids:

ceecy29

Hey Kbragg, what kind of hair did you use for your crotchet braids? TIA!

NVM, saw your thread on it. Great job!!!

Last edited:

MzSwift

I was so busy gawking at your pics, I did not even read the helpful tip you wrote about take down. Thanks.

These two pics are my faves. Your did that huge back braid yourself upside down? Scratching my head, trying to figure how you did it.

Sorry so late.
Yes, I have to sit and then bend over, using gravity to my advantage. LoL
The upward braid is my "go-to" style whenever I try to let my hair grow out. Can't stand it touching my neck for some reason.:nono:

MzSwift

kbragg-
Loving the pix!
Those yarn braids are so pretty. Do you remember what color and brand you used? My hair isn't black (unfortunately) and it's closer to the color in your pic.

kbragg

kbragg-
Loving the pix!
Those yarn braids are so pretty. Do you remember what color and brand you used? My hair isn't black (unfortunately) and it's closer to the color in your pic.

I used Red Heart Super Saver in chocolate I believe. It's the darkest brown they have. A tip though, I made the mistake of using 2 strands folded in half. Take down was a nightmare because it was sooooo difficult to unravel. If you do the braids use 3 strands folded in half and keep your hair with 1 two strand piece, don't divide it:nono: Doing Senegalese twists with yarn are also easy for take down:yep:

I will say the yarn braids felt a LOT softer than the yarn twists.

MzSwift

Thanks so much for the info and tips!
I know my store carries the brand, just hoping for the color...

ladysaraii

Great thread!

Does anyone have tips or videos on doing cornrows in a beehive? I want to try this weekend

lamaria211

great thread ive been trying out the crown and glory method and its been working out beautifully ill be checking in frequently

LoveLongLocks

Braids!!!
I have used the Crown & Glory Technique at the beginning of my hair journey. I still do, and it is a great simple routine to take care of hair.
Follow the techniques just as "Robin" on growafrohairlong.com. I credit that her website for learning how to care for & grow my hair.
I will post pics.

Lady Esquire

Braids!!!
I have used the Crown & Glory Technique at the beginning of my hair journey. I still do, and it is a great simple routine to take care of hair.
Follow the techniques just as "Robin" on growafrohairlong.com. I credit that her website for learning how to care for & grow my hair.
I will post pics.

:yep::yep::yep::yep: I've used Robin's techniques many years ago. My hair thrived. I love the video she has when she shows her progress of wearing braids for 2 years straight. :love: And I have watched the braids tutorial many times.

grownupnai

Are there any self braiding video tutorials you all recommend? I'm bumping this thread because I would like to braid my hair up this weekend.

almond eyes

I love getting my hair braided but have decided to give it a break. I have had both good and bad experiences with braid extensions and without since I was eight. Here is what worked for me with no problems: 1. The method of how the braider attaches the extension counts. I don't know what they call it in the States but I always ask for the one pick this method allows me to take my extensions no matter how small in two hours or less no breakage 2. Do not braid your hair line gel it down 3. Do not get your hair braided too tight 4. Detangle with oil sheen or some kind of oil and in sections very good to remove the shed and matted hair before washing 5. Do not keep your braids in longer than two months and what really did wonders for my hair when I braided it with extensions on my natural or relaxed hair was to have it blow dried straight before having it braided stop the tangles. And I know this is gross but I only kept my braids in for three weeks at a time and cleaned my scalp to prevent washing it and having my braids tangle underneath the extensions. Best Almond Eyes

Last edited:

WyrdWay

longinghair said:
Ok, does anyone have experience with growing out their hair with braids without extensions? Or are extensions the trick?

longinghair that is what LongHairDontCare2011 did on youtube

I think people use extension hair to keep their hair from locking after keeping the braids in for a while

braidqueen

BRAIDS! BRAIDS! BRAIDS!

It not that I love braids its the fact that they love me. I can rock any type of braid style and look beautiful. Hair weaves and short cuts do nothing for me. I'm wearing braids now from January 2012 to Dec 2012 to regrow my crown after a bad bleach job left that portion completely BALD (nothing left but fuzz so it took 2 months before I could get it braided).

1)I use human hair extensions for more body and if I'm being cheap they have human/synthetic blends that work just as good (may use permanently). I always get my braids a bit larger than micros.
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

2) I am not a stylist not with my hair or any hair. I own a blow dryer and curling iron just cause I think a woman should. I have NEVER used a flat iron and don't know how they work. I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday and a bun for church or more formal events.

3) I use grease my scalp 3 times a week, and I use IC Deep Penetrating daily conditioner every other day then seal with organic coconut oil. My hair is NEVER dry and because if that I have very little shedding so I lose very few strands when taking down.

4)I break ALL the rules about washing cause I am not a fan. I hate washing my hair or braids and I have to be forced to when it starts to smell. This is because I have titanium rods along both sides of my spine and the entire spine is fused so I'm not bending or leaning unless by forced by mr. stinky.

5) I get my edges (2 front and 2 back rows) redone every 4 weeks. Because of the severe damage done to my crown I don't give my hair a few weeks break like I used to. If I take it down tonight that's because its getting redone in the morning.

6) My edges get thin first time around but always grows back so that does not bother me.

7)The most important thing GET A GOOD BRAIDER AND KEEP HER! My girl is the best and it cost $100 for my small head. I am now family and she braids my her at home. She knows about my backs issues and makes sure I'm comfortable. She cooks and feeds me every time and she's offended if I bring my own snacks. I take DVDs for us to watch, while I sit in the floor on a huge pillow and shes sits in the couch behind me and chat away for 8 hours. When I need edge touch ups it's "just leave something on the table." I don't take advantage of her, if I have $20 today I'd make sure I have $50 at my next fresh up. RELATIONSHIP is key! She mourned the loss of my crown as I did!

braidqueen

July 1st I'm think of starting a 6 month braid challenge with a picture provided requirement and a monthly photo update. Hope you ladies give this some thought and join me. Other than braids the only other thing that work for me is curls so if my crown is full by Dec 31 I'm wearing big loose curls for new years.

winona

[USER=171298 said:
MzSwift[/USER];12308156]I'm loving these styles, ladies!:clapping:

I'm a braid lover as well, both with and without extensions.
Braids have gotten me through my first winter natural and kept me from cutting (recovering scissor addict). Lots of good advice given here.

One tip: After take down, be sure to detangle and remove as much shed hair as possible BEFORE pooing/wetting the hair. Use oil or a condish with slip to help with takedown. HTH! :)

Here are a few pix of my styles (I hope it's not too pic heavy:blush:):

Freetress Water Wave 1B/33

Twists- $1 Jumbo braiding hair (non-silky)

I wash like this:

DC & Dry like this:

HTH!

How did you blend the free tress water wave for the individual braids around your edges? I am planning on redoing my crochet braids with free tress next week and I would love to leave out my parameter for more options. TIA