Braids: Is it Normal to Have Slipping

Lady Esquire

I braided my hair about a month ago. First time I've ever self-installed braids. :woot: I plan on keeping them in until late March.

Question: is it normal to experience slipping?

Last week, I rebraided a few in the front and on top because they slipped down several inches.

Maybe its the braid spray I use: Parnevu T-Tree Braid Spray. I spray once a day and I dab jojoba oil to my fingertips to oil my scalp about once every 10 days or so.

Maybe its the hair I used: 100% Kankelon. Or the weight on the strand. This weekend, I will have to redo a few along my nape and again on top.

faithVA

I find that my hair slips if the braids/twists are small also and with the use of oils and sprays. All of my hair doesn't slip, just certain sections. I also find that as I get better at installing, the less they slip. My nape slips easily because the hair is finer there.

Lady Esquire

yeah especially in the front. I agree the larger they are the less the slip

The only "large" ones I have are in the middle, but I like the look of smaller braids, so anything that's revealed is smaller: nape, front, and top of my head.

I find that it is for me. I can't have any braids that don't slip other than cornrows :)
I had one that slipped really really low.

I find that my hair slips if the braids/twists are small also and with the use of oils and sprays. All of my hair doesn't slip, just certain sections. I also find that as I get better at installing, the less they slip. My nape slips easily because the hair is finer there.
Ok. I was thinking maybe this will be my last installment. This is good to know.

BonBon

IMO its technique. While having fine hair and loading oilspray on it doesn't help I found I had a lot more slip when self braiding (especially at the beginning) vs when a professional braider did it. With practice it should get better.

JJamiah

I get mines professionally done and still. I have been getting my hair braided since I was a little girl. Grown woman in her 30's and still slipping. A lot shouldn't be expected but just a lil is to be.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
In my experience, it's not technique. Well I've never self installed so perhaps it could be if you are not that experienced in braiding. I only get installs at a braiding salon by someone that has been braiding since she was a child. Takes 8-9 hours so it's not rushed and done half hazzard either. Still slips around the hairline and should really be expected. It's the area that's pulled the most for styling. When my side edges start getting too loose, I just take them out and camoflauge them by using styles to hide them. I never get them re done, just use this time to let them rest.

Last edited:

faithVA

IMO its technique. While having fine hair and loading oilspray on it doesn't help I found I had a lot more slip when self braiding (especially at the beginning) vs when a professional braider did it. With practice it should get better.

I agree. I do have more slip when I do them myself than when a braider does them. They still slip when a braider does them but not as quick and not as often. And it has gotten better with practice. Sometimes just by having to reinstall the same braid 2 or 3 times I have gotten better.

BonBon

Aww, I didn't mean I get no slip from professional braider's. My hair is fine so it slips slowly. Just that I got a LOT more slip when beginning self braiding. Several inches in one month is a lot IMO, but I cant talk for looser hair types. Redoing edges is normal, but having rusty technique means they would have to be refreshed much more often. Unless its hair type related. I'm 4a.

I agree. I do have more slip when I do them myself than when a braider does them. They still slip when a braider does them but not as quick and not as often. And it has gotten better with practice. Sometimes just by having to reinstall the same braid 2 or 3 times I have gotten better.

Yeah, my technique improved over the years to the point they could stay nice for a lot longer than when I started:yep:

Lady Esquire

Every post makes sense. Its a combination of technique, braid spray, styling, and the hairs being finer in those areas or small braids.

I've been braiding my daughter's hair for about 2 years, and hers stay nice for a longer period of time without as many issues. So my technique is not as sharp with self-braiding.

naturalmanenyc

Yes, for me slipping is normal. I just started getting braids in the last couple of years and I had so much slipping that I went back and had the braiders redo some of them, free of charge. This was at two different shops, with Kinky Twists and later with Senegalese twists.

Kinky Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/kinky-twists-protective-hairstyle/

Senegalese Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/senegalese-twists-protective-hairstyle/

Prior to that I had Spring twists crochet braids (Curly twists on a cornrow base) and did feel some loosening right away; however, I went in with blown out hair and once I washed it and my curls came back my hair felt a bit loose.

Spring Twists style: http://goingnaturaltransitionington...-hairstyle-for-transitioning-to-natural-hair/

I've never lost any braids though. That is my biggest concern, being that woman who loses a braid in the office.

I later realized it's technique and my fine hair. I cannot always use the twist in method and sometimes need my roots braided. I have in Havana twists right now and they are holding up well after 3 weeks. I see some slipping but it's not noticeable to anyone except me. I am keeping them in for 8 weeks and then getting Spring twists again, singles though not curly twists on crochet braids.

Havana Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/diy-fail-havana-twists/

Lylddlebit

I do not find slipping more than around a centimeter normal for my head or the heads I have braided. I am gauging this answer from my experience braiding many different heads of hair, braiding my own hair and getting my hair braided by several different people. I sure have tested that theory on take down day lol but unfortunately the braids that I have known to be braided securely won't just slip out even when I want them too(loaded with conditioner, loaded with oil, after washing, take down spays).

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

Yes, for me slipping is normal. I just started getting braids in the last couple of years and I had so much slipping that I went back and had the braiders redo some of them, free of charge. This was at two different shops, with Kinky Twists and later with Senegalese twists.

Kinky Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/kinky-twists-protective-hairstyle/

Senegalese Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/senegalese-twists-protective-hairstyle/

Prior to that I had Spring twists crochet braids (Curly twists on a cornrow base) and did feel some loosening right away; however, I went in with blown out hair and once I washed it and my curls came back my hair felt a bit loose.

Spring Twists style: http://goingnaturaltransitionington...-hairstyle-for-transitioning-to-natural-hair/

I've never lost any braids though. That is my biggest concern, being that woman who loses a braid in the office.

I later realized it's technique and my fine hair. I cannot always use the twist in method and sometimes need my roots braided. I have in Havana twists right now and they are holding up well after 3 weeks. I see some slipping but it's not noticeable to anyone except me. I am keeping them in for 8 weeks and then getting Spring twists again, singles though not curly twists on crochet braids.

Havana Twists: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/diy-fail-havana-twists/

I do know the feeling of being self conscious about certain hair mishaps at WORK!!!!

BTW, I like your site and will have to read it for tips. My daughter has had braids for the past 2 years. She has more natural hair than relaxed. She was relaxed for a while and hated it.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I always get slipping. It would be worse when I would oil my scalp often, but even when I was neglectful, they would still slip a bit. The ones on my edges would slip out entirely sometimes, if the edges were really short lol.
I wear my braids in ponytails and buns often too, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I hate when the braids start far away from your scalp, so I've just taken to rebraiding the perimeter after about 4 - 6 weeks.
It's annoying, but good practice for self-installing and keeps them looking nice.
Also lets me make sure my edges are still there LOL.