Self Braiders/Twisters, share your tips here!

preciousjewel76

I received the infamous "Braids by Breslin" DVD and watched most of it last night. I really want to learn how to do my own kinky twists (thanks to LondonDiva and sareca!:) ) & cornrows. I hope to do a modified version of the Crown & Glory method. Also, I've never had braids before, so it would be a nice styling option.

So, those of you who do your own braids or twists, would you mind sharing your tips for us new to the braiding world? For example, what types of hair would you recommend for kinky twists? How often do you wash your twists? What braid spray do you recommend? How long did it take you to braid/twist your hair?

Happy braiding, ladies!

(P.S. - Hope this helps, crlsweetie!)

eyunka

Yes please share I would like to do my own like LondonDiva!!!! I tried to do my daughter's hair this weekend...i think it turned out alright. I want to know how to add the extra hair tho.

preciousjewel76

eyunka said:
Yes please share I would like to do my own like LondonDiva!!!! I tried to do my daughter's hair this weekend...i think it turned out alright. I want to know how to add the extra hair tho.

You do such creative and pretty braids on your daughter's hair, eyunka.:)

mscocoface

I learned how to add hair and do longer braids from a tutorial on this site.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com

This is the lady that created the detanling cream.

She has incredible information about hair care and braiding.

Take a look as see if it will help you. I learned how to do my twists and braids.

You can review my fotki to take a look at what I learned from her.

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

I watched her braiding video just this weekend. I'm definitely following her advice on braid maintenance. The Braids by Breslin DVD focuses more on actual braiding technique than on braid care. Thanks, I'll be checking out your Fotki!

mscocoface said:

http://www.growaforhairlong.com

Take a look as see if it will help you. I learned how to do my twists and braids.

SandySea

mscocoface said:

http://www.growaforhairlong.com

l also learned from her website. Otherwise, it's just trial and error. I'm on my second set of self-done braids and I've already had people ask me for the name of my braider. I'm satisfied with my results, but they don't quite look like a professional's. It takes me about 18 hours to do a whole head. I do the front small and the back a little bigger.

P

peacefulstrength

also do you think it is safe for a hair braider to put gel on the hair while braiding your hair. I kept telling her I dont want gel in my hair and she okay just for the sides and the back. She also said its not gel its jam but on the product it said gel. And another lady was also braiding my hair at the same time and I told her no gel but she kept doing it too. I kept telling I didnt want it on my scalp because its going to make my scalp itch. Anyways, She was like no I'm sorry, its a reflex thing.
I hope its not bad for my hair. Heres a picture of the product. My scalp is itchy, please help.

Attachments

• B000GCT6FW.01-A2UILHLLDUMCAM._SCLZZZZZZZ_V23085067_AA250_.jpg
    B000GCT6FW.01-A2UILHLLDUMCAM._SCLZZZZZZZ_V23085067_AA250_.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 4

preciousjewel76

addydoll said:
also do you think it is safe for a hair braider to put gel on the hair while braiding your hair. I kept telling her I dont want gel in my hair and she okay just for the sides and the back. She also said its not gel its jam but on the product it said gel. And another lady was also braiding my hair at the same time and I told her no gel but she kept doing it too. I kept telling I didnt want it on my scalp because its going to make my scalp itch. Anyways, She was like no I'm sorry, its a reflex thing.
I hope its not bad for my hair. Heres a picture of the product. My scalp is itchy, please help.

Robin (growafrohairlong lady) adds gel before adding the hair, but Ms. Breslin doesn't. I haven't started braiding yet, but I wonder if this is absolutely necessary. Good question! I hope somebody can provide an answer....

BTW, I think using plain aloe vera gel would be a good alternative. It's natural, and it probably won't make your scalp itch. Have you tried a braid spray or washed your hair to stop the itchies?

mscocoface

preciousjewel76 said:
Robin (growafrohairlong lady) adds gel before adding the hair, but Ms. Breslin doesn't. I haven't started braiding yet, but I wonder if this is absolutely necessary. Good question! I hope somebody can provide an answer....

BTW, I think using plain aloe vera gel would be a good alternative. It's natural, and it probably won't make your scalp itch. Have you tried a braid spray or washed your hair to stop the itchies?

I have used both and I guess with the synthetic hair I preferred the gel. The gel she recommends does not have an alcohol base so it is not damaging to the hair.

I usually use the aloe vera gel when I am only braiding my own hair or putting twists in it. I think the length of hair escpecially synthetic would be wasting my aloe vera gel so I am pretty picky about it when I do braid.

mscocoface

addydoll said:

Would not recommend that gel, I am not sure but check the ingredients isn't there alcohol in it? The one that Robyn recommends has no alcohol. I too do not like gels of any kind, so I was skeptical, but the one that Robyn recommends comes in a very large jar for only 2 or 3 dollars.

P

peacefulstrength

preciousjewel76 said:

Not yet. I plan on buying a braid shampoo soon. I know my hair grows faster when there isnt too much clogging my scalp. Thanks for replying, I guess maybe the gel is for the hair not to pull out.

eyunka

thanks...I'm tryin to learn and create new styles all that time i get bored with the same ol' look.

preciousjewel76 said:
You do such creative and pretty braids on your daughter's hair, eyunka.:)

preciousjewel76

mscocoface said:
Would not recommend that gel, I am not sure but check the ingredients isn't there alcohol in it? The one that Robyn recommends has no alcohol. I too do not like gels of any kind, so I was skeptical, but the one that Robyn recommends comes in a very large jar for only 2 or 3 dollars.

Which one does she use? I couldn't tell the brand of it by watching the video. I currently have a big jar of the Fantasia IC gel, which is alcohol free.

Also, do you think gel is necessary for kinky twists? That's the style I hope to try soon. I would think the kinky synthetic hair wouldn't really need anything to help it "hold", vs. the kanekalon braid hair.

mscocoface

addydoll said:

For the itches if you have any peppermint oil place about two or three drops in 4 oz of water in a spray bottle and spray your scalp. Be careful not to use a lot of the oil.

I use this when my hair is in braids or twists but I decided to use it in may daily homemade spritz so it would have a cooling effect on my scalp. I have been very happy with the spritz.

Also when I washed my braids or twists I did something different. I took my cowash ingredients, placed it in a large spray bottle with water and sprayed my hair. I let it sit for a while and then sprayed may hair again with water or under a light shower head for rinsing, I forget which one. This also is in my fotki for review. Hope these suggestions help. By not manipulating those braids or twists so much I was able to keep the frizzes down.

Nonie

For example, what types of hair would you recommend for kinky twists?
I've never done kinky twists but I do believe it'd have to be synthetic hair. Don't know much about brands so I'ma tiptoe out of this one now.

How often do you wash your twists?

Twists...well, I usually wash my hair at least twice a week regardless of what style I'm wearing, but when I wore twists, I styled them when wet so it was not unusual to wash them daily. I would not always poo, sometimes I'd condition wash; sometimes I'd just ACV rinse...just so I'd have them drip drying. Letting them drip is how I'd get them to hang down and not twist oddly.

Braids (micros) I wash twice a week or every 3 days. Since I touch them up as needed, I don't worry about them getting untidy. Usually I'll style them in a way that hides the untidiness while I slowly touch them up.

What braid spray do you recommend?
Don't pay me no mind, but I never used any spray on my braids. I've worn braid extensions for years, and all I do is baggy and condition wash or poo often. That's how I keep my hair "moisturized". Once in a while I might spritz with an ACV, glycerin, EO, water mix but usually I'm too lazy to bother. Not putting anything on my braids seems to keep my hair from matting at the base and makes undoing with fingers so easy. (This is how I can go for months w/o ever using a comb on my hair.) Regular washing, deep conditioning and ACV seems to be all my hair needs. Although this time around I've decided to try the blend I used to regrow my bald patches on my scalp before baggying. This is because since my BC, I have started to use a leave-in (just to see if I might like it) and it felt good on my TWA. I don't want to use it on my hair now coz I can't stand to have oily braids or them smearing oil on my face. I'm using the EO/natural oil blends on my scalp when baggying for the night. I haven't quite decided whether I'll do this just before wash day or daily. Jury is still out.

I didn't use anything on my twists. I just washed them often, conditioned and ACVed with them in. The only thing I regret is I had long forgotten all about deep conditioning so I didn't do that. Now in braids I'm doing that after every wash.

How long did it take you to braid/twist your hair?
Twist... I really don't know coz I never timed myself since I'd be finished before I even knew it...so it never occurred to me to time myself.

Braids (micros) that I have in now took me 9 hours to do. I usually rent movies and just plop myself in front of the TV and go to work. It's funny how time flies when you're having fun.

Tips: When I braid, I don't wrap the extension hair around my own, I just place it behind my own and split my hair into three parts to match the extension hair then braid them together. I tried to explain how I do my braids in a post a long time ago but don't know if my explanation was clear. Wish I could demonstrate. But anyone who is interested: my instructions are further down on the first page.

For twists, I went for months w/o combing my hair yet I'd redo my twists because I seem to have mastered how to untwist w/o making my hair tangle. I'll see if I can find a PM I sent someone to help and paste it here. (Too lazy to type anymore. :lol: ) Also I found that my twists were easiest to undo and redo after a wash.

Last edited:

Nonie

On the question of whether gel is necessary, I have never used gel. Is it recommended for synthetic? What exactly does it do?

All I ever do is apply shea butter to damp hair and then I start to braid.

Tip on washing braids: I usually put the braids into big square plaits. Shampoo is applied directly to scalp and massaged in to clean. When I spray the shower water on my scalp to rinse, I use that moment to squeeze my braids as the suds run through it, so there's minimal manipulation. Putting rubber bands at the ends of the big plaits does also help.

If I used to apply a leave in to my braids, I think I'd make sure I only applied to the area starting about half an inch from the base. I believe when there's build-up of products at the base where the extension is begins, then matting/knotting up occurs. Redoing your braids as often as is necessary - when they get loose at the base - also helps prevent matting. No comb is needed to undo and detangle. With practice you can learn to undo extensions with fingers real fast while watching TV and redo them...and you don't have to them all in one sitting. Also touching them up as needed does prevent them from painfully pulling on your hair (anyone who's felt that swing of loose braids at the hairline knows what I mean) and may prevent breakage.

One last thing and then I will shut up, do use less extension hair by braid section than the hair you're attaching it to. It doesn't have to be very obviously less, but you don't want too much hair exerting a lot of strain due to weight on one tiny area of your scalp. That's another reason people have a bad experience with extensions. I usually use about 2 packs of extensions for my whole head, but this time I only used 1 and 1/8. So that tells you just how much additional hair I'm willing to have pulling on my scalp. I used Human Hair from my local BSS.

I'm going to have to return another time to explain how I undo my twists. I don't have my "directions" anymore, and I need to do it as I write so I can try to be as clear as possible. It may be the obvious way everyone does it, but I think I came to share it when someone asked me how I could go for days w/o ever needing to comb my hair.

Last edited:

TemiLnd

Hey Precious,

Well I learnt to braid using Robins C&G but I made some modifications. I have done my briads twice now and my frnds refuse to believe I did it myself. I am definitely getting better.

what types of hair would you recommend for kinky twists?
Well I am planning on doing my own Kinkt Twists next month thanks to some advice from LondonDiva. I believe she just retwisted and she used
Brand: JAZZY
Colour: 1
Length: 24 INCHES, ALL THE LENGTH USED
Hair type: AFRO KINKY TWIST
Packs used: 3 full packs and a tiny bit from a 4th
Price: £3.99 a pack

I use sensations for my braids. I did try the hair Robin suggested but it was hard to manage when braiding and felt dry a lot. I went back to Sensations cos that has always worked for me.

How often do you wash your twists?
Twists / braids – I wash them every 2/3 days. I find that cos I apply scalp cream every other day, I like to wash at least that much to prevent build up.

What braid spray do you recommend?
I do like Robin suggests – Infusium 23 mixed with African Pride. Makes my hair very soft when it comes out of the braids.

How long did it take you to braid/twist your hair?
Well it takes anywhere from 10-18 hours depending on how lazy I am. I intend to improve on that time.

Gel?
I don’t use gel anymore when I braid. I used to. But once the scalp is well oiled, I just section and braid.

HTH

remnant

SandySea said:
l also learned from her website. Otherwise, it's just trial and error. I'm on my second set of self-done braids and I've already had people ask me for the name of my braider. I'm satisfied with my results, but they don't quite look like a professional's. It takes me about 18 hours to do a whole head. I do the front small and the back a little bigger.

Me too :yep: !

remnant

preciousjewel76 said:

I don't know what is the purpose of the gel, I have used it and don't like it: it doesn't make braiding easier, so I don't use it and my braids are fine without it!

Last edited:

LondonDiva

preciousjewel76 said:

I only use gel on the baby hairs that's it. If you want a good moisturiser to coat the hair before braiding. Use Profective Breakfree (Purple Tub)

IMHO gel is a no no.

preciousjewel76

LondonDiva said:
I only use gel on the baby hairs that's it. If you want a good moisturiser to coat the hair before braiding. Use Profective Breakfree (Purple Tub)

IMHO gel is a no no.

Thanks LD! I was going to ask what you ladies recommend putting on your hair (in terms of moisturizer) before braiding. I'm with you, I really don't think the gel is necessary.

Some other questions for y'all:
  • What do you think of using a regular ol' homemade conditioning spritz (like the "Homemade Spritz" recipe on MotownGirl's site) instead of braid spray? I'm thinking this would be easy to make, cheaper in the long run, and I could control the ingredients.
  • Are any of you self-braiders using topical growth treatments? I just started using BT. Do these treatments necessitate washing your braids more often, and do you have to take them out earlier?
Sorry for the bazillion questions, I just want to get some more info before I dive into this "project"!:D

Last edited:

cutiebe2

I am in braids right now and have always used MTG or MN while in braids. You can do it nightly without messing up the braids, just be careful when rubbing it in and do use to much. Many use the idea that you should treat your hair the exact same way in braids that you do out f braids..the only thing I do differently is not use DPR-11 because it is way too thick (don't want build up)...and I use Scurl or Jamaican M&L grow spray instead of ORS olive oil

Nonie

• What do you think of using a regular ol' homemade conditioning spritz (like the "Homemade Spritz" recipe on MotownGirl's site) instead of braid spray? I'm thinking this would be easy to make, cheaper in the long run, and I could control the ingredients.
I think that'd be OK. I have used a home-made spritz and it's been fine.
  • Are any of you self-braiders using topical growth treatments? I just started using BT. Do these treatments necessitate washing your braids more often, and do you have to take them out earlier?
I wasn't, but I'm now using an essential oil blend that I used to grow in my bald patch just for the heck of it. I figured that since I'm not willing to use a moisturizer on my braids - yet I recently started a regimen involving using leave-ins - baggying with some natural oil concoction on my scalp would be a good compromise. I will continue to wash my hair twice a week/every 3 days as always. If you use something heavy or used it daily, I'd think you might need to wash your hair more often than usual to reduce build up.

If the topical products do increase growth, your braids/twists will get loose at the base quicker so you will need to redo them sooner. Whether you take them out is really up to you. I personally just touch them up one at a time while watching TV over several days till I get them all done. Touching them up as soon as they need it does help with eliminating build-up and knotting up at the base of braid.

preciousjewel76

cutiebe2 said:
I am in braids right now and have always used MTG or MN while in braids. You can do it nightly without messing up the braids, just be careful when rubbing it in and do use to much. Many use the idea that you should treat your hair the exact same way in braids that you do out f braids..the only thing I do differently is not use DPR-11 because it is way too thick (don't want build up)...and I use Scurl or Jamaican M&L grow spray instead of ORS olive oil

So, do you deep condition your braids? I've read that you should dilute whatever DC you use so it doesn't build up.

smuice

preciousjewel76 said:
So, do you deep condition your braids? I've read that you should dilute whatever DC you use so it doesn't build up.

I have been doing my hair in braids for the past three days! It does not really take that long, but I have been busy and doing it in between. I wash my hair every two or three days, I dilute my dc and sponge it on so it penetrates right through to my hair,otherwise it just sits on the synthetic hair, I don't use heat but let it sit with a plastic cap on for a couple of hours, its best to moisturise with a braid spray, or your own concoction when the hair is damp, I use olive oil in my own braid mix, sometimes castor oil as the hair can dry out otherwise.

I use ORS olive oil as a moisturiser before I braid I then put Profective Healty Ends on the ends.

Braids are cool and you can refresh the look by re-doing them every couple of weeks. The more you wash the frizzier they can get, so massage lightly!

Good Luck:)

LondonDiva

I'm always in braids. I use BT and used MTG before. It didn't make washing the hair anymore frequently infact quite the opposite. I washed it much less. I got no build up or dandruff. It was almost as if the sulfur acted like a cleanser. I applied everyday and could scratch my scalp and have nothing under my nails like I used to before with other products.

On the hair itself, like I said before I use Profectiv Breakfree on the hair section before I braid it. I slather from root to tip with the breakfree then braid. I use African Pride Braid Sheen Spray (Brown Label) on the hair itself. Those 2 products alone retain mega moisture. When I take my braids down after 3 months the hair is and maintains moist. Sometimes I use Elasta QP H-Two on the actual braids sometimes too. I guess it's like washing the actual hair without washing it if you know what I mean.

To take the braids down, especially if you have product build up at the base of the braid use Better Braids Un-Braid. This contains Salysilic acid which breaks down the build up. Spray it lightly in the scalp area ONLY about 30 minutes before taking down the braids. Undo the braids and gently separate the section where the build up occurs. For the harder to take down areas I use a fine tooth bone comb to loosen it. I find the nape and hairline areas where the build up occurs the most usually.

I don't personally deep condition. But if you want to you can scruch some leave in conditioner into the braids when damp. I sometimes use S-Curl and leave it at that or just over spray with braid spray. When I wash I don't usually let the water touch the length of the braids, I hold the hair in a pony to the side so it doesn't get wet, and use a jug with diluted shampoo and water and pour it over the scalp 2-3 times (I use Elasta QP Bodyfying Shampoo) this stuff cleanses like nobodys business. I never use a moisturising shampoo, because from past lessons no matter how diluted IMHO causes build up at the base of the braids. Therefore I only use the Bodyfying shampoo to cleanse my scalp. I don't even massage it in the scalp. I soak it all up with a towel and then apply the BT and spray with Braid sheen and leave it at that. Too much massaging whilst washing leads to premature matting if you ask me when you gain more new growth.

Hope that helps.

preciousjewel76

That helps a bunch LD. Thanks! Your washing regimen makes sense.

Do you use a "hair strengthener" like Robin advises? I'm not really crazy about the ingredients in Infusium 23, but I do want to throw a protein treatment in with my braid spray mixture. I was thinking about mixing in some of the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (pictured below) with my moisture spritz.

Nonie

preciousjewel76 said:

Indeed I deep condition my braids. Used to use GPB+dryer, but I'm out of it so recently used Elasta Fortifying and a cap under a dryer. I never dilute either my conditioner or my shampoo and this has never hurt me, although you may consider the shampoo diluted since I squeeze/wash the length of my braids as the sudsy water runs through them when rinsing the shampoo from my scalp.

I think it is because
  • I rinse off the conditioner for a long time (squeezing my braids like I do when washing)
  • and then usually conclude the wash by dunking my head in a solution of ACV to massage my scalp
that I never get build-up.