Let's Talk BRAIDS!

Lady Esquire

To braid or not to braid?! Let us know where you stand on this.

Also, please share your braiding experiences, opinions, knowledge and tips.

I've started off with DO's and DON'Ts below, please correct me if I've misstated anything.

Do's:

Rinse Kankelon with vinegar/water solution, prior to braiding, if Kankelon irritates your skin.

Braid each about half the size of one of your fingers.

Moisturize braids and oil scalp twice daily.

Regularly wash and DC w/a sponge to remove build up and keep your own hair moisturized.

Immediately wash out chlorine/salt water after swimming.

Remove braids every 2 months.

Redo the sides and top layers that are exposed, to prevent build-up/breakage once a month.

Don'ts:

Braid in micros.

Braid too tightly.

Leave in braids more than 3 months.

Rebraid within 2 weeks of a relaxer or color.

What else should we know?

Nonie

I'm all for braids.

I wear braids more times than not. I do my own braids. I don't experience any breakage from them. I shampoo, condition and ACV rinse twice a week (one of those conditionings is a DC). I baggy nightly.

My advice to anyone new to braids is to follow Robin's braid regimen at www.growafrohairlong.com because my own regimen breaks all the rules: I don't take them out after 2 or 3 months but will actually make a year next month with the set I have on; I don't moisturize scalp or spray hair at all; my braids are pretty small and not pencil size;... :look: You get the idea.

Lady Esquire

I'm all for braids.

I wear braids more times than not. I do my own braids. I don't experience any breakage from them. I shampoo, condition and ACV rinse twice a week (one of those conditionings is a DC). I baggy nightly.

My advice to anyone new to braids is to follow Robin's braid regimen at www.growafrohairlong.com because my own regimen breaks all the rules: I don't take them out after 2 or 3 months but will actually make a year next month with the set I have on; I don't moisturize scalp or spray hair at all; my braids are pretty small and not pencil size;... :look: You get the idea.

I love www.growafrolonghair.com. Robin has always inspired me. I actually found that site before coming here. When I first started my healthy hair journey in 2005, my sister would braid my hair every 5 weeks. I did that for about 5 months, but then she moved out of state. My hair did thrive. But I am concerned about my edges. I am contemplating braiding my hair myself, which I have never done. During the spring break, I may braid my oldest daughter's hair. She turns 12 next month, has MBL, maybe even WL hair now and it would be a great change while she plays sports. And if all goes well with that, I'll do mine.

Nonie, you have had them in for over a year! Wow. Are you natural?

does this include twists as well or we are talking strictly braids?
No, share your twist tips.

Last edited:

Nonie

I love www.growafrolonghair.com. Robin has always inspired me. I actually found that site before coming here. When I first started my healthy hair journey in 2005, my sister would braid my hair every 5 weeks. I did that for about 5 months, but then she moved out of state. My hair did thrive. But I am concerned about my edges. I am contemplating braiding my hair myself, which I have never done. During the spring break, I may braid my oldest daughter's hair. She turns 12 next month, has MBL, maybe even WL hair now and it would be a great change while she plays sports. And if all goes well with that, I'll do mine.

There are some more things to keep in mind if you get braids. I share a bit in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417854

You can also give your hairline a breakd by taking the extensions out and having a natural hair fringe. That's what I do when I feel as if the braids are getting too heavy for my delicate hairline:

Nonie, you have had them in for over a year! Wow. Are you natural?

Yes, I'm natchal! I haven't made a year yet but soon will (April) and I am not planning on taking them out yet. I'm enjoying not having to do much to my hair too much to even consider taking them out anytime soon. Not sure how long I will keep them in.

The additional hair isn't as silky as when I first put them in (April 2009) but I don't think it looks that horrible either (This was last month; I wear my "bangs" as twists because I find that w/o extensions, I cannot leave my hair braided for long or it'd knot up; I can do that with twists though).

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

If you want memory styles...save the money and go synthetic.

If you want braids no size is a deal breaker...but the smaller the braids the neater and longer lasting...but also the more service required to keep your hair up inside them.

Lyddlebit, thank you for all of that info! For some reason, I thought micros were damaging, but after reading the thread that Nonie listed, maybe not. I still feel more comfortable, installing them a bit larger as in the video posted on www.growafrohairlong.com.

What are memory styles?

Is human hair healthier for the hair?

Kellum

I am all for braids when done right. I like doing my own even though it takes me forever to do them.

1. This year so far I have worn yarn braids and now I am rocking spring twist crochet braids.
  2. When doing individual braids be sure and not to do them too small.
  3. Make sure they are not too tight especially the hairline.
  4. When braiding the hair line be sure and use enough hair in the braid.
  5. Redo the hair line at least every 3 weeks to keep the weight from the braid from pulling on the hair.
  6. Moisturize your hair and scalp at least daily. I like to use diluted V05 strawberries and milk in a spray bottle with water.With the yarn braids, I could get away with moisturizing every other day because they held onto moisture like nobodies business.
  7. Use a strengther at least weekly. I like Chi Keratin.
  8. Wash at least monthly and dc. I will not do this only if I will be wearing the braids for less than a month.
  9. Prior to braiding dc hair with moisture and protein.
  10. Tie the braid up at night with a satin scarf or wear a sating bonnet.

I never have any breakage when wearing braids because I be sure and do the things that I specified above.

http://kellumskorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/spring-twist-crochet-braids.html

Lylddlebit

Lyddlebit, thank you for all of that info! For some reason, I thought micros were damaging, but after reading the thread that Nonie listed, maybe not. I still feel more comfortable, installing them a bit larger as in the video posted on www.growafrohairlong.com.

What are memory styles?

Is human hair healthier for the hair?

Your welcome. They(smaller braids) can be damaging as a rule but they don't have to be when you see the additional care they require in contrast to larger braids.

Memory styles...I just meant style that are set in like curly braids with rods or crinkled braids.

Human hair has it pros and con's. Some ppl love how it retains moisture (a healthy hair positive) others complain about it cutting into your actual hair(a healthy hair negative). It just depends. I actually prefer synthetic to human for how I wear my braids. However both types of hair can be fine when you take care of your hair within the braids.

julzinha

Do

Make sure hair is in its best condition while it is out (I only leave my hair out for a week, but I clarify, moisturizing shampoo, reconstructor for 10 min, and overnight DC. Then moisturize and seal, the use a leave in daily until I get them done)

MOISTURIZE your braids( I have worn braids since I was 5 and have never had long hair because I never did this until growafrohairlong.com and now I mix African Pride or African Royale Braid Spray and Infusium 23, if I knew it was that simple I would have WL hair by now)

Wash your scalp using a sulfate free shampoo (I use Giovanni Tea Tree or Castille Soap)

If your scalp itches from the braid just use an oil like coconut oil or olive oil on your scalp and the itch will go away.

Don't get braids too tight that will truly rip out your hair (my mom wore braids for a very long time and now she doesn't have edges because of the tightness)

Use growth aids while in braids ( It is so much easier to use them while in braids because it is easier to apply to the scalp and since in braids easier to wash too.)

DON'T

Let the person doing your hair use a rattail comb to comb your hair while they are braiding (I would be APL by now if it wasn't for the woman who was doing my braids using the comb all over my hair and causing breakage, but my hair is in great shape now and is about APL in the back)

BlkOnyx488

Thanks to BlackMasterPiece for getting me hooked on Crochet braids, I may never do individual braids again. I just purchased several packs of prebraided micro braids. So I will get the look without the invested time or damage to my hair.

Pandoras Box

I am all for braids.

Kinky Twists, and Micros being my favorite. for a long time i was buying my micro hair from BSS. and then i discovered brazilian bohyme!!!! i'll never get micros with anything other than this hair. LOVE IT. costly, but well worth the price. I havent done it in a while, because i dont have the time to sit for 12 hours anymore. and would love to find someone who could do them in 6-8 hours.

Nonie

Wow, that Brazilian Bohyme is pricey. I'll stick with the Kanekalon for now, and see how it goes.

Wow, I just looked at the prices and :eek:

I thought hisandher.com were expensive but Brazilian Bohyme makes their prices look like a steal.

julzinha

This is what I posted in another thread. I hope it helps!

I have been getting braid extensions since I was 5 and only in the last few years has my hair been retaining length while in braids and it is because of growafrohairlong.com. But I have modified it to fit my needs and save money.

1. When braiding/twisting with extensions, how do you keep your hair moisturized and conditioned?
I only buy my braid spray and Infusium 23 from Sallys. They have the lowest prices for braid spray and infusium 23. I use African Pride Braid Spray because it is more moisturizing and has no mineral oil or petrolatum unlike African Royale.
I buy Sallys GVP Infusium 23, Original Infusium 23, and African Pride Braid Spray. I take an empty Original Infusium 23 bottle, and mix 1/4 Sallys GVP, 1/4 Infusium, and 1/2 braid spray. I have an empty 2.5 or 3 ounce bottle and pour the mixture into the bottle then into my braids focusing on where my hair is and massage the mixture in.
I wash my hair only with shampoos that are sulfate free such as Giovanni tea tree and Trader Joes Tingle tea tree. They clean your scalp and hair without drying it out. And I focus on only washing my scalp with the shampoo then letting the rest trickle down to the braids. And on days that I wash my scalp which is twice a week, I moisturize my hair by using Suave tropical coconut conditioner as a leave in after I squeeze the water out of my hair. Then let the braids air dry.

2. I know you can keep your hair braided up to a month, (sometimes longer) but do you need to give your hair a break before braiding it again? If so, how long?

I find it easier to keep my hair braided up. So I'll keep my hair out for a week I just have a very good out of braid regimen. When my hair is out, I first clarify (VO5 Kiwi Lime Poo) my hair, then moisturizing shampoo (Elucence MBS), then reconstructor (Aphogee 2 min), then deep condition (Aubrey Organics or Silk Elements). Then air dry and moisturize my hair with Shea Moisture Leave-In and seal with JBCO or Coconut Oil and using the African threading method, I thread my hair to stretch it and as a protective style.

3. If you wash/moisturize your hair while in braids, are there certain types of synthetic hair that let the products get through to your hair more easily than others?
For me Kanekalon or Expressions works fine. But I prefer Expressions because my hair is always in braids and Expressions is very light and doesn't really add weight to my hair.

Rossy2010

Thank you all so much.. this is very informative. Nonie had already given me valuable info which i can combine with this as I start braiding my hair from tommorow. I will be using X-pression.
I used to braid my hair but did not know how to take care of my hair but all in all atleast I had thick hair. I will keep you all posted.

LovinLea

I love braids, especially since I'm in that awkward growing-out-the-BC phase (Solange is going through it right now if you don't know what I'm talking about). I love to alternate between micros/senagalese twists and cornrows. I only ever take them out for 1-2 weeks between.

I'll be going to Sally's because I never see that original Infusium 23!

Last edited: