Ladies who have recovered from long-term scalp damage: help!

He's not trying to hear all of that.

penguin-chick.jpg

I went to the dermatologist today and he did a biopsy. It hurts a lot of now...:sad:

Sent from my PG86100

Yeaaaa! Mine did too :( My scalp is red very often where they did the biopsies...

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

Yeaaaa! Mine did too :( My scalp is red very often where they did the biopsies...

I wasn't expecting that. Then again, he took a piece off my scalp so I don't know what I was expecting. :lol:
I'm praying the biopsy results reveal something that can be taken care of without recourse to hair transplants...

Sent from my PG86100

Hi Everyone,
About 18 months ago I started to notice clear itchy blisters on my arms and back I thought nothing of it. Then I noticed a couple small, itchy sores on my scalp but I had just relaxed my hair so I thought it came from that.

These spots never went away and before I knew it my scalp was covered with them! Eventually my entire scalp was covered with this thick, crusty substance. It literally covered my entire scalp like a cap. I didn't know what was going on, as pieces of this stuff fell off of my scalp clumps of hair went with it. I could run my fingers through my hair and my hand would be full of hair. I was left with quater and half dollar sized bald spots all over my head.

After going to the derm, I too had to have a biopsy done and I was diagnosed with a rare auto-immune skin disease called Pemphigus. I was immediately put on prednisone (steroid), docycycline (antibiotic) and Clobetasol (topical steroid) for my scalp.

The treatments helped tremendously, my scalp started to heal and the bald spots eventually grew back in. OP I know we don't have the same thing but I just wanted to chime in and say that there is hope after a devasting diagnosis. Just hang in there!

MrsS sheanu How did everything turn out? Any updates?

I went today and got injections. I am done with the prescription foam. The very top of my head felt warm and itchy most of the time for month, that feeling finally went away. I am also seeing my thin spot fill in. So time will tell, but as for now, the thin area looks to be filling in good.

Hey yorkpatties!

I'm glad to see you're still getting treatment. I hope all turns out well and please keep us updated!

I'm all done with the Nizoral so I'm cutting out all shampoos except for the days I do my heavy Aphogee protein treatment (I'll clarify then). I think going Curly-Girl, using Ayurvedic powders and oils, and doing a protein treatment with eggs weekly will help keep my scalp itchies at bay and really help my hair. I've just started bhringraj oil a few weeks ago and that stuff finally has me with some tingly feeelinggg in my scalp!! I've noticed growth but my scalp still has so many issues in the areas where it's damaged.

I was having scalp pain a few weeks ago (before I started the bhringraj...the pain has since gone away) and I notice now that the area is starting to thin out :nono::cry2::wallbash: It can be soo discouraging and frustrating but I'm determined not to give up! I want edges as my pre-wedding gift lol! So to continue doing the job that the nizoral was supposed to be doing, I'm going to buy some of the infamous stinky neem oil today for antifungal properties. I heard that fungus eats oils, and as @jeter mentioned earlier, keratin, so maybe this will help more than I know!

How's everyone else doing?

MrsS sheanu How did everything turn out? Any updates?

I went today and got injections. I am done with the prescription foam. The very top of my head felt warm and itchy most of the time for month, that feeling finally went away. I am also seeing my thin spot fill in. So time will tell, but as for now, the thin area looks to be filling in good.

yorkpatties I haven't heard anything from my doctor yet so I'll give it a couple more days and email him. My stitches were removed on Wednesday and my scalp is healing up. Unfortunately, one of my students (I work in an autism classroom) pulled my hair on the side of my scalp biopsy and some hair came out along with the crust the skin was forming to heal. :sad: Needless to say that I'm praying for that area to grow despite the damage.
I'll keep you updated when I get the results.

yorkpatties I haven't heard anything from my doctor yet so I'll give it a couple more days and email him. My stitches were removed on Wednesday and my scalp is healing up. Unfortunately, one of my students (I work in an autism classroom) pulled my hair on the side of my scalp biopsy and some hair came out along with the crust the skin was forming to heal. :sad: Needless to say that I'm praying for that area to grow despite the damage.

I'm very sorry about that. I know how much the biopsies hurt...perhaps some aloe or EOs could help soothe the areas a bit? Keep us posted :)

sheanu said:
I'm very sorry about that. I know how much the biopsies hurt...perhaps some aloe or EOs could help soothe the areas a bit? Keep us posted :)

I put vaseline and a bandage yesterday like the nurse did after she removed the stitches to keep the area moist. So far, no sign of infection or excessive pain have occurred. Just my dumb luck!

Sent from my PG86100 using LHCF

I put vaseline and a bandage yesterday like the nurse did after she removed the stitches to keep the area moist. So far, no sign of infection or excessive pain have occurred. Just my dumb luck!

>:0 wow keeping the area most would have helped with the pain and healing? My doctor didn't do any of that lol. That might mean that your recovery won't be as long and painful then :)

Wow, I can't imagine how painful that must have been. I used to work with autistic kids years ago and I know when they pull that hair they pull it hard. :nono:
I hope you're healing well. Keep us updated.

sheanu I hope you get that pre-wedding gift you want :drunk:

:couchfire:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Lol @jeter you're a hot mess! And thanks yorkpatties!

Update: I went for a follow-up yesterday and my doctor was very optimistic that I'll "make a full recovery" (she made me feel like I'm recovering from major surgery or something lol). She looked under the microscope and said that it doesn't look nearly as inflamed as the last time I was there. Now that I'm done with the Nizoral she's prescribed hydrocortisone cream for me to use once a week on my scalp. She says it should help with the remaining inflammation and with regrowth. Has anyone used this kind of topical steroid?
Also, I don't remember if I asked this before, but is Rogaine bad? She keeps insisting I use it but I haven't bought any yet because I remember hearing bad stuff on here...

Does anyone else have updates? MrsS how's your scalp healing up?

sheanu, JeterCrazed, yorkpatties My scalp is healing up nicely. It has a light pink color now and is not sensitive to touch anymore. That kid did yank a good chunk out of my hair and I'm hoping this will not cause further damage.
I received the results today and my doc said that I had traction alopecia. :sad: He is prescribing me a topical steroid ointment to apply on the area for two to three months and he also recommended that I use men's Rogaine. He said some of it might be reversible and that the steroidal ointment would reduce inflammation. I sure hope it helps, because my smooth as a baby's butt temple area is not the business. :nono:
What's wrong with using the men's Rogaine?

MrsS said:
sheanu, JeterCrazed, yorkpatties My scalp is healing up nicely. It has a light pink color now and is not sensitive to touch anymore. That kid did yank a good chunk out of my hair and I'm hoping this will not cause further damage.
I received the results today and my doc said that I had traction alopecia. :sad: He is prescribing me a topical steroid ointment to apply on the area for two to three months and he also recommended that I use men's Rogaine. He said some of it might be reversible and that the steroidal ointment would reduce inflammation. I sure hope it helps, because my smooth as a baby's butt temple area is not the business. :nono:
What's wrong with using the men's Rogaine?

Awwwww I'm glad your scalp is healing up so well! Traction alopecia sucks but we'll get through this. Lmk if you try the rogaine

Glad to hear you're healing well MrsS I know we all did a collective flinch in pain after reading your post about the hair tugging.

I had good results with a topical steroid. I really didn't realize how much inflammation my scalp had until I was using one.

I know men's rogaine is stronger, but that's all I know about it. Maybe there is a rogaine thread that might be helpful or if anyone has experience with it, please dish, because I am curious about it too.

Awwwww I'm glad your scalp is healing up so well! Traction alopecia sucks but we'll get through this. Lmk if you try the rogaine

I tries rogaine years ago and got zero results, but I didn't try it due to traction alopecia. My mom had baby smooth edges and hers eventually grew back.

JeterCrazed said:
I tries rogaine years ago and got zero results, but I didn't try it due to traction alopecia. My mom had baby smooth edges and hers eventually grew back.

Did hers grow back in their own or because of rogaine?

Cowashes every three days and apple cider vinager rinses, really keeps my scalp in check and keeps my roots moisturized. I hardly get breakage in my problems areas and no more sore scalp. hth

Hello ladies. I wasn't going to join until I came across this discussion because I have this issue. My Derm says its anemia and also gave ketoconizole %2 and I take my iron daily. It has helped a lot. I then found a hairdresser who has helped me. She told me to use the derms shampoo first let it soak for a while then soften the hair with a moisturizing shampoo. I got better results.

U inspired me to join after lurking for a week. I have learned a lot here and for about 2 years suffered like u. I found a wonderful hairdresser who showed me the correct way to use nizoral 2% shampoo with it leave it on for a while then shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo to soften hair then condition and rinse conditioner out with cool water

HauteHippie said:
Co-siging on Origins Check and Balances. Really impressed with that product. I think biotin and cocconut oil caused my flare up. Oiling in the AM, rotating biotin (every other day) and adding MSM helped me out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Hello HauteHippie. How do u prepare the MSM? Do you apply it to the scalp for pre shampoo/cowash?

Back