What's the best way to base my scalp b4 a perm?

kreeme

What\'s the best way to base my scalp b4 a perm?

This will be the first time I have permed my hair since the first week in April. I have been doing the condition washes every other day and I want to go ahead and perm my hair. What can I do to protect my scalp? I'm worried that all of this washing is going to split my scalp in half when I put that perm on tonight...what should I use? I don't want to put the perm in and in 5 minutes my scalp is screaming to take it off
So what should I do? I thought I read somewhere where someone used oil sheen on their scalp...is this a safe and effective method? Somebody please help me!!!

adrienne0914

Re: What\'s the best way to base my scalp b4 a perm?

it may be too late, but i would suggest using something heavier than an oil sheen. i prefer vaseline if you're not using a product designed specifically for that. and also put conditioner on the previously relaxed hair. it will make it easier to know where to stop to prevent overlapping.

let us know how it goes!

pmichael52172

Definately what Adrienne advises. When I do my own relaxers, I actually base my scalp with Vaseline or some kind of heavy typed base as if I were greasing my scalp.

I part my hair in 4 sections (part from forehead back to nape of neck and from one ear across to the other) I base those partings and then go through each section and lightly base it. Then I would proceed to apply my relaxer section by section. Each new touch up, I'd alternate where I start so as not to start at the same place each time.

kreeme

All I gotta say is the nape of my neck is KILLING me. I will know better next time. I guess I'll stop rinsing my hair a few days before I relax from here on out.

S

Stylepink

I stopped rinsing for three days before my perm. I base my scalp with A & D ointment. It works wonderful and it has vitamins and minerals that are good for my scalp. I just got a perm yesterday and I had no burning or irratation. And I had 4 and a half inches of new growth!

Karonica

Castor oil works great for me. When I grease my scalp with it about 3 days before my perm, I generally experience no burning.