Ladies who have recovered from long-term scalp damage: help!

kab

@jeter
I agree about the thin scalp. All the years that my scalp was damaged, my scalp was severely thin and excruciatingly tender. I had never been tenderheaded before. So tender that the tension from blow drying and curling irons literally gave me a headache.

sheanu

@jeter thanks for the info. I actually noticed that my hair was more moisturized and shinier since I started using nizoral but I've also changed from sealing with shea butter to grapeseed oil (i knew I should have made those changes one at a time!). Will it dry my hair out over time? And which form of mn are you using? And you kab?

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

naturalgyrl5199

I had my first perm when I was 9. I had sores every relaxer til I was about 16. Relaxers at the salon were always the WORST. Edges fell out twice. Psoriasis on the scalp. Eczema from my face down to my knees. Turrble...

Get some wasabi and make a thin paste for a scalp stimulant. This is gonna feel like a relaxer on steroids, but the circulation will help TREMENDOUSLY

Go to the doctor and have you Ferritin Serum checked. 13-200 is considered normal. You want yours at about 100. I checked mine last year and it was 13. This year, it's 31 and my hair is growing like mad. My hair used to take 3 mos to grow one stankin' inch. Now, I'm getting at least 3/4 inch per mo.

Dandruff is never good. I don't care what anyone says. Dandruff inhibits sebum from making it as far down the ends as possible and it inhibits circulation. For example, I have a ball python. Snakes shed monthly even over the eyes. If the shed doesn't come off, they go blind. Wash your hair at the first sign of dandruff. Fungus, bacteria, allergies and auto-immune problems all cause dandruff and none of them are good reasons.

Also, if you have a tight scalp, that is also a reason for thin hair. Hair needs fat. Notice that most bald men have a shiny scalp because the skins is so taught. Add pumpkin seed oil to your diet. Vegetable fats are very good at nourishing the skin from the inside.

Do niacin flushes. NOT NIACINAMIDE!! 500 mg of niacin will open your capillaries and allow healing blood to rush through and deliver oxygen to places it couldn't previously get. I suggest you treat this one like a bad laxative and stay home. Trust me.

Exercise, water, vitamins, diet... yada yada... heard that before.... yeah, yeah, yeah...

Unfortunately, what's good for your scalp isn't necessarily good for your hair. I stopped wearing protective styles and wore my hair out EVERY DAY. I did not put any stress on my scalp. I washed every other day and stopped using grease, mineral oil, or any oil on my scalp and massaged until my natural sebum showed on my fingers. (Do some jumping jacks or sump'n)

It took YEARS to get my scalp healthy. My suggestion is to start with getting your ferritin up and doing the niacin flushing. Niacin also gets your cholesterol under control. My triglycerides are at 35 and I'm 190 lbs. Oh! and check your TSH levels for your thyroid, too. The ideal is 1.0.

Best of luck, as well!!! And... :welcome:

This is great information. Ferritin is the iron transport protein. The more iron you have the more of the protein (ferritin) is produced to transport it in the body.
I believe that a lot of what happens on the inside will manifest on the outside. Being healthy is a great start. Supplements are useful.
I had problems with my edges (near the temple) thinning out because when I transitioned then bc'd I wore weaves for 18 mos leaving me with longer hair, but those thinned out temples. So I bought the ORS Temple Fertilizing Balm (The one that you apply with a dropper) and mixed that with some Castor Oil, and noticed improvement over a year. I am still working on it, but its not as noticeable. I think I will add some eucalyptus oil also.

Oh and yes Thyroid Levels (especially with women) is a GREAT place to start. GET bloodwork done: a CBC (Complete Blood Panel), a CMP (Complete Metabolic panel), a Vitamin Panel, and Lipids (Cholesterol, triglycerides, good and bad cholesterol, etc)....
I was able to even get one done at my school clinic when I was in college! I get it done every 5 years and I am just 31!

I am a nutrition professor and registered dietitian, so all the nutrition stuff you posted stuck out!

Last edited:

JeterCrazed

This is great information. Ferritin is the iron transport protein. The more iron you have the more of the protein (ferritin) is produced to transport it in the body.
I believe that a lot of what happens on the inside will manifest on the outside. Being healthy is a great start. Supplements are useful.
I had problems with my edges (near the temple) thinning out because when I transitioned then bc'd I wore weaves for 18 mos leaving me with longer hair, but those thinned out temples. So I bought the ORS Temple Fertilizing Balm (The one that you apply with a dropper) and mixed that with some Castor Oil, and noticed improvement over a year. I am still working on it, but its not as noticeable. I think I will add some eucalyptus oil also.

Oh and yes Thyroid Levels (especially with women) is a GREAT place to start. GET bloodwork done: a CBC (Complete Blood Panel), a CMP (Complete Metabolic panel), a Vitamin Panel, and Lipids (Cholesterol, triglycerides, good and bad cholesterol, etc)....
I was able to even get one done at my school clinic when I was in college! I get it done every 5 years and I am just 31!

I am a nutrition professor and registered dietitian, so all the nutrition stuff you posted stuck out!

All the nutrition people I meet say, "Wow. Most people aren't unto their health like that. Where did u learn all this?" Lol

I am the diet queen. I truely believe that many diseases can be cured solely with diet.
I cured my mom's diabetes and she lost 65 lbs in 5 mos. No pills. No insulin. I have as many blood tests as I can get while I'm in college lol I make up all sorts of excuses as to why I need it.
"But hemoglobin alone cannot detect all iron deficiencies, ma'am. I really need my ferritin serum checked. *holds out arm* *taps vein* :look:"
They hate me at that office. :lol:

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

kab

Jeter,
you sound like me. I was forced into taking control of the health of my family when I was told by doctors that my child's chronic condition was incurable but treatable. Wrong. The right supplement and a temporary change in what we ate led to a cured condition and a new lifestyle of devouring health info (from the right sources), total abstinence from crap foods and running to healthy eating and good quality supplements. In this age, we have to be proactive and sometimes aggressive with our own health. Our bodies, our responsibility - but I just wish that more doctors were better informed to aid the journey. As I understand it, medical schools do not teach nutrition. If you build a quality product using quality materials, how can you build and maintain a quality body eating crappy foods?

beloved1bx

sheanu I used the over-the-counter Nizoral (in the dandruff shampoo section of drugstores) maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I did notice that it dried my hair out, but it also curbed my shedding like no other. This was also at the very beginning of my HHJ so i was just learning about healthier hair practices. Plus my hair is always dry, so it doesn't take much for it to get out of whack. You could always try diluting the shampoo a bit.

honeybearmommy32

Aphogee 2 step protein treatment stopped my shedding a yr ago. My stylist said tht it rearrange the scalps abnormalities. And provides a healthier environment for growth.

Also, 3,000mcg Biotin has helped me to retain everything I've grown so far.

yorkpatties

I've seen you mention this "rearrange the scalps abnormalities" bit in a few threads. What exactly do you mean? I don't understand how a protein can affect the various afflictions that can affect ones scalp.

Aphogee 2 step protein treatment stopped my shedding a yr ago. My stylist said tht it rearrange the scalps abnormalities. And provides a healthier environment for growth.

Valerie

I would suggest using Ovation hair products, although they are expensive, they do work for me, also using groganics shampoo, conditioner and vitamin supplements. I'm not sure about your diet, lots of protein, chicken, turkey, fish, salmon, mackerel. Lots of scalp massages, if possible daily or twice daily, there is a spider head massager, you can get it on amazon, scalp massages with rosemary, lavender, frankincese and myrhh (both are anti-ageing), basil, other essential oils which stimulate growth. Castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil. Cayenne pepper, ginger, the mint family all help to stimulate blood to the surface. also maybe you can get step 2 of hair formula 37, look at the ingredients of step one and maybe you can get a less expensive version. Plenty of exercise, deep breathing also help bringing blood to the scalp, try to avoid stressful situations, if you do get stress, give yourself a head massage, it helps to elevate a tight scalp.

Keen

sheanu You may want to use tea tree oil products (shampoo and conditioner that has tea tree). It's good for your scalp and does not require too much extra work. An easier thing to do is to buy some tea tree oil and just add a few drops on all your products.

discodumpling

Wow not much I can add you ladies are all on point! I also have long term scalp damage even 4 yrs after my last perm. I can't tell you how many times my wack patch has gotten better and relapsed over the years. I'm on the upswing again at the moment :) using esential oil therapy, vigorous scalp massages and small tweaks in my diet (finally figured out that DAIRY is not a friend to my scalp either!)

Just stick with whichever method you choose to re-grow. Consistency is key.

Lila25

OP,

I know your scalp will get better and improve!!! Sometimes when our bodies seem to be acting out, wether it's your hair or skin, it means it's trying to tell you something! I went natural in 2009 for some of the very same reasons you did..years of relaxer and hair dye damage. I thought my hair follicles were damaged after I permed and used Begin oriental black hair color..fried my scalp..I had a bad allergic reaction to that stuff.

The regimen I used was basically washing my hair once a week. I woul dampen my hair and use Aubry Organics shampoo, to wash my hair.I only did this to clarify with nonce a month. For the other three weeks I would dampen my hair and wash/ massage from root to tip with Aloe Vera gel. Rinse and seal my ends. I stopped using oil directly on my scalp because it made my scalp itch. Perhaps you can still use the oils that work for growth directly on your scalp, but maybe in your problem areas only? Oil on some women's scalp doesn't bother them, but my poor scalp can't take oil or any kind of build up, so if I co-wash, I'm careful not to get any conditioner on my scalp..

My reggie now is washing once a week with 1/3 cup baking soda mixed with 3 or 4 tablespoons of honey and 2 teaspoons ov ACV. Mix well, dampen hair, work from roots to tip, rinse hair well.

My scalp is very sensitive, but I find that the slight abrasiveness of the baking soda lifts all dirt and dead skin cells from my scalp making my scalp feel clean, refreshed and my hair conditioned.

It's worth a try? You can tweak my shampoo recipe, but the honey tones down some of the abrasiveness of the baking soda. But I don't have dandruff anymore and no build up on my scalp..and if you wear a wig or weave, that lessens the opportunity for the scalp to breath.. So taking the dead skin and build- up off my scalp with baking soda worked nothing short of a miracle on my scalp.

sheanu

Hi again everyone,

I just got the results back from the dermatologist and they say it's early traction alopecia so it can definitely be treated. @jeter, I stopped the nizoral after your recommendation and have started cowashing more often and doing baking soda washes. I'll keep you all updated on my progress :yep:

Anyone else have updates?

JeterCrazed

sheanu I have been using Moisturizing Selsun Blue with great results and it leaves my hair very soft. That nizoral is turrble. Please keep us posted.

sheanu

@Jeter, Thanks for the tip!

beverly Ann, wow that video was really encouraging. The MTG really does make a difference because I've been using everything else she recommended.

Beverly Ann Properties

Sheanu, stay encouraged on your hair journey. This forum has been the best thing ever for my natural hair journey. The video also encourages me. I have documented my scalp damage from relaxers and will publish my findings once my hair has fully grown back in the crown area where I have my damage.

yodie

Hairobics really seem to help my nape scalp damage. The owner, Stephanie, is based in LA. I used to get my hair treated by her personally. She would mix up special products for me, wash my hair, do scalp massages. My hair felt great, but she's definitely not into heat styling.

I'm wearing tracks right now because I prefer heat styles. So, I started using Stephanie's (over the counter products - scalp and follicle booster and leave in conditioner). I'm actually going to pick up some of the products she custom made for me and use those.

AlwaysNatural

I'm not trying to "take over" the thread but while we're talking about scalps, can anyone reccomend some sort of oil for burning/soar scalp?

JeterCrazed

I'm not trying to "take over" the thread but while we're talking about scalps, can anyone reccomend some sort of oil for burning/soar scalp?

Alcohol-free Peppermint flavor. NOT essential oil!! Get it where you find the spices in the grocery store. Got this one from whole foods.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1321118419046.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1321118419046.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 89

sheanu

@jeter
I actually just purchased some mega-tek rebuilder 2oz (purple lettering in little jar) today on amazon. Is this just as good? I heard mega-tek smells better but this one has purple letters and the one most people talked about on here had blue letters...i was hoping to save some money and try it out :(

growinghealthyhair

JeterCrazed

Wow. You've given some great information!! I'm interested in what you were saying about having a tight scalp. lol. What other type of veggie oils can be used? I've never seen pumpkin seed oil anywhere. I'm in the same predicament as the OP. Some of the things i'm doing are finally getting my hair to start growing in the temple area, BUT there are still some places that are lacking. I'm also thinking about the OCT system as well!

BEAUTYU2U

Great thread!

I'm not sure if the scalp is severely damaged but my crown area has been sore for years. When I was relaxed, the hair was thinner yet coarser in that area. Then I went natural (cut out grease and sulfate shampoos) and it's a lot better but still present. I haven't found a solution yet.

Curlykale

since not all scalps enjoy oil (my scalp gets sore with them and it even hates conditioner), I think I have a few alternative ideas to oils as well. I tell you what has worked on my sensitive face, as my scalp appreciates it too (I haven't had scalp problems but you may enjoy the following ideas).

Wet your scalp, massage a smooth (liquid, non grainy) raw honey, with a little bit of (important: raw, it is more gentle) diluted apple cider vinegar, and some drops of chamomile and palmarosa, massage as much as you like and rinse. You can do this even everyday or twice a day (if it worked on my face when it went crazy... ). Raw honey saved my skin. And the honey and apple cider vinegar have that dissolving/exfoliating/antibacterial/nourishing action on a wet scalp that an oil would have on a dry scalp. Chamomile is the most soothing essential oil I know and palmarosa oil is very balancing. I found it to be even better than lavender.

A ginger tea in mineral water. It kills any itch and improves circulation. You can even throw some ginger powder into your water if you are having a bath and it will improve circulation in your whole body (very warming).

Green tea rinses are good for dandruff, with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

When you do herbal rinses, make very strong brews and use a large bowl to collect and re-use while rinsing, or to even dunk your entire head.

A rosemary or yarrow hydrolate to spray whenever you feel like it (and then a moisturizer on the length to avoid matting: if I wet my hair and I don't add anything, it tangles near the scalp)

Last edited:

Curlykale

@Curlykale can you share what brand of raw honey you use?

thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

I don't use one particular brand and I always use different ones (I am in Europe so I am afraid I can't help with brands). I look for local honeys in health food stores. Not many honeys have "raw" written on them, but quite often you will find indications such as "cold processed", "non heated" etc in the description, especially in health food stores. If small dots or grains can be seen then it is too abrasive (consistency and color vary, as long as it's smooth/creamy or liquid I buy it). I look for local honey because usually it is raw and less expensive and it comes from small organic producers around the corner.

LATE EDIT: "non pasteurized" , "unfiltered" as well.

PS= oil and honey is another nice combo if your hair likes oils

Last edited:

MrsMe

Subbing. I have severely damaged temples and I'm trying a few more things before giving up and saving up for Bosley. :look:

Sent from my PG86100