Ladies who have recovered from long-term scalp damage: help!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This is a very encouraging thread. I commend each of the Ladies for being so transparent.:yep:

You open-ness will help so many people that are afraid to share their experiences.

I had a terrible, traumatic mishap in 2009 at a Salon (negilent stylist doing chemical service) which lead me to LHCF and to becoming a DIY'er and nursing my hair back to health.

So, I can identify with your issues/concerns/recovery.

I am still in recovery mode myself. It takes consistence, patience and prayer.

JeterCrazed

Subbing. I have severely damaged temples and I'm trying a few more things before giving up and saving up for Bosley. :look:

Sent from my PG86100
MrsS
sheanu
If you have prescription coverage, ask you doctor about topical steroids.

I've gathered some links about OLUX LynnieB has suggested it to many with great testimony.

1. ***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! *** - Page 15
  2. Thinning/hair loss update (long) - Page 2
  3. Thinning update: The natural stuff!
  4. Dandruff does not mean dry scalp
  5. I paid 25 dollar copay to the derm...
  6. Have You Been Successful Growing out a Bald Spot
Hate to put you on the spot, LynnieB :look:
Her then and now:

As for the MegaTek, I have no idea. I would imagine it has less keratin protein, but who knows! Might be just as good. I've never tried either.

My opinion is when the herb and home remedies fail, get up on that white man's medicine. :look:

JeterCrazed

growinghealthyhair
Not seeing pumpkin oil anywhere is not an excuse not to have it. Shame on you :spank:

Flora Pumpkin Oil Certified Organic 8.5-Ounce Glass

If you buy from Vitacost on Amazon, they have THE BEST prices on EVERYTHING and you get free shipping on $49. You can stock up on your Aubrey Conditioners and get some 100% Emu oil. Emu oil penetrates the skin down into the muscle tissue. That's how good it is. "Un-Petroleum" oil is a great alternative to people who like the feel of grease, but know petroleum is bad for the scalp and it's mostly Castor oil (win-win). It's easy to spend $49.

Get on Amazon and get what you need, girl! :buttkick:

growinghealthyhair

Lol JeterCrazed

Ok ok ok!! I'm going to get on this pumpkin oil. So I actually oil my scalp with it versus ingesting? And you know I do need some Emu Oil. I haven't tried any AO conditioners yet, I actually need to find a good conditioner!!

JeterCrazed

Lol @JeterCrazed

Ok ok ok!! I'm going to get on this pumpkin oil. So I actually oil my scalp with it versus ingesting? And you know I do need some Emu Oil. I haven't tried any AO conditioners yet, I actually need to find a good conditioner!!

No. No. You ingest the pumpkin seed oil. Do NOT... (repeat) NOT put pumpkin see oil on your scalp UNLESS it's being used as a prepoo. If it's not washed out, it will go rancid on your scalp.

I recommend Aubrey (the ones for DRY), CHI Deep Brilliance, Moroccanoil, and LUSH (H'suan Wen Hua and Jasmine and Henna Fluff Ease).

Last edited:

HauteHippie

This is a great encouraging thread! I'm taking notes and wishing everyone all the best. My temples are thin and I had a bald spot in the front/center of my head. Also, one year my mom basically relaxed an inch off of my hairline all the way around. MN helped, then I tried MegaTek, then I tried JBCO/sulfur. All worked well, but I think I got the best results from MN b/c I didn't have as much shedding.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

sheanu

I'm glad so many women are being encouraged by this! I just decided to come right out and hoped that other women would do the same. :yep:

I have another sort of off-topic question as well that hopefully jeter and the other diet experts can address:

I have REALLY bad cystic acne that just flares up like crazy sometimes. :nono: I really think it has something to do with my diet but I can't narrow it down. Right now I'm having a bad flare-up and my scalp is now itching and breaking out too! It had gone away, at least on the scalp, but now my scalp and face are sooo itchy and breaking out with bumps.

Can you all recommend any tests or anything I should look into? I heard of the immunolabs tests on the alopecia page and I wonder if this could help me solve this mystery.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

JeterCrazed

You know....I've never really dealt with acne internally.

When I have acne, I use:
  1. LUSH Dark Angels face wash. You buy it by weight and $5 will last months.
  2. Origins Checks and Balances $18
  3. JBCO as Moisturizer

JBCO gets rid of acne within days! The cleansers are very drying, but once you moisturize, you will have forgotten all about it.

I do an internal cleansing, but it's brutal. I'm not even gonna post it.
I use essiac whenever I'm sick. That is my all-purpose, full-body cleanse. Essiac is documented to shrink cancer. It has helped be tremendously with various things.

I buy the dry herbs and make it myself. It takes 12 hours. You can buy the pre-made bottle, but for the same price, you get enough dry mix to make 6x what you'd get pre-made. I had an eye twitch for 2 weeks. Went away with 2 days of essiac.

MrsMe

JeterCrazed Thank you for the links and info! I gave up on doctors because my sister went through the same issues and doctors didn't do much for her. It got to the point that she lost all of her temple hair and had to do Bosley.
I went to a derm a couple of months ago and he said nothing could be done at this point. :sad: I still see a few teeny, tiny, thin strands of hair which I am trying to baby and give strength back but I'm losing hope. I'll try to post pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my PG86100

HauteHippie

Co-siging on Origins Check and Balances. Really impressed with that product. I think biotin and cocconut oil caused my flare up. Oiling in the AM, rotating biotin (every other day) and adding MSM helped me out.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm glad so many women are being encouraged by this! I just decided to come right out and hoped that other women would do the same. :yep:

sheanu The reason the transparency is so refreshing is that not all women on this Forum have Long Flowing BSL/WL/HL etc....Hair and some Women are dealing with real issues.:sad:

So, I applaud you for starting this thread because I know it is helping alot of women with problematic concerns that are honestly afraid to talk about them.

I told a Poster last night, that I feel like I'm always in damage-control mode. Dealing constantly with one thing or another on my HHJ.

So....Again, this thread was very much needed.:yep:

morehairplease

sheanu The reason the transparency is so refreshing is that not all women on this Forum have Long Flowing BSL/WL/HL etc....Hair and some Women are dealing with real issues.:sad:

So, I applaud you for starting this thread because I know it is helping alot of women with problematic concerns that are honestly afraid to talk about them.

I told a Poster last night, that I feel like I'm always in damage-control mode. Dealing constantly with one thing or another on my HHJ.

I feel the same way....you are not alone love.

yodie

@sheanu The reason the transparency is so refreshing is that not all women on this Forum have Long Flowing BSL/WL/HL etc....Hair and some Women are dealing with real issues.:sad:

This is my story as well!!!

yodie

No. No. You ingest the pumpkin seed oil. Do NOT... (repeat) NOT put pumpkin see oil on your scalp UNLESS it's being used as a prepoo. If it's not washed out, it will go rancid on your scalp.

I recommend Aubrey (the ones for DRY), CHI Deep Brilliance, Moroccanoil, and LUSH (H'suan Wen Hua and Jasmine and Henna Fluff Ease).

Is pumpkin seed oil good because of it's zinc qualities?
Just had some blood work done and my zinc levels were below normal range. I've taken zinc supplements, but switched over to eating pumpkin seeds. Too soon to tell if it's helping or not.

JeterCrazed

Is pumpkin seed oil good because of it's zinc qualities?
Just had some blood work done and my zinc levels were below normal range. I've taken zinc supplements, but switched over to eating pumpkin seeds. Too soon to tell if it's helping or not.

Pumpkin seed oil is Omega 6 and has some Omega 9.

LynnieB

MrsS
sheanu
If you have prescription coverage, ask you doctor about topical steroids.

I've gathered some links about OLUX LynnieB has suggested it to many with great testimony.

Hate to put you on the spot, LynnieB :look:
Her then and now:

LOL That's ok JeterCrazed, np. I don't log in too much these days and I apologize for just seeing this.

Olux definitely seemed to help - the steroid stopped that annoying itching and prickly/tingling sensation in it's tracks. My derm was good, he said to try all the homeopathic remedies I wanted to (with the exception of Rogaine/Monoxidil - said that was a definite no-no), it wouldn't hurt but not to be surprised if it didn't help :ohwell:.

Alopecia is a really ishyt disorder I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I wish anyone dealing with it a rapid recovery!

sheanu

LOL That's ok JeterCrazed, np. I don't log in too much these days and I apologize for just seeing this.

Olux definitely seemed to help - the steroid stopped that annoying itching and prickly/tingling sensation in it's tracks. My derm was good, he said to try all the homeopathic remedies I wanted to (with the exception of Rogaine/Monoxidil - said that was a definite no-no), it wouldn't hurt but not to be surprised if it didn't help :ohwell:.

Alopecia is a really ishyt disorder I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I wish anyone dealing with it a rapid recovery!

Thanks for your response! I think I'll ask my derm about it on tuesday. They're supposed to be giving me treatment options then :yep:

sheanu

Well I went to the doctor today and not only did she confirm the traction alopecia, but she also looked at it under a "microscope" and showed me pictures of what was going on. She diagnosed it as alopecia with perifollicular scaling and erythema (inflammation). I've never heard of any of this and I've never seen pictures of anyone's scalp that looked like mine did either :nono:. She prescribed Nizoral 2% (I know @jeter :wallbash:) and rogaine but from what I've read, Nizoral or some other strong anti-dandruff shampoo is the only treatment they've found to help with this kind of inflammation.

Has anyone else every dealt with this issue? I ran a search on here and found nada. I'm really at a loss as to what to do but I know I probably won't even be twisting my hair loosely because I end up with bald spots along the part lines even when I do that :cry2: Maybe I'll just shave it all off...

HauteHippie

Sorry to hear that sheanu. When do you start with the Nizoral and Rogaine?

I hope they work for you. Thanks for keeping us updated.

sheanu

I'm starting the Nizoral (3X a week for 2 months) tomorrow but I'm going to pass on the Rogaine. She also prescribed benza clin (benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin, 2 months) and monodox (oral antibiotics, 3 months) for my acne.
I'm sure that between this combo and the winter months, both my hair and my face will be much dryer than I prefer but hopefully oil rinsing, scalp oiling and daily water spritzing will help some.

sheanu

Hi ladies!!
I wanted to check in and let you know what's been going on lately:

When I went to my general doctor a few weeks ago he tested my vit D level again and found that my levels were still low so I've been taking the supplements he recommended and my skin has improved A LOT and I'm seeing some of my hair grow back. My problem is that my scalp is still sooo sore (I mean, some days it gets a serious hot pink/red color and is extremely tender to touch). I only have a little of the Nizoral left, which I can't wait to finish because it's a little drying.

How's everyone else doing?

JeterCrazed

sheanu
I've been meaning to respond for days. I found some new info. Apparently, fungus on the scalp eats Keratin! That explained everything. Without Keratin, hair cannot grow. Since I've been putting Keratin on my scalp daily, (see blog) I have been enjoying a MUCH happier scalp. No itching. No redness. No soreness. No shedding. My hair is happier, too. I highly recommend you following the same regimen with similar products. Mill Creek makes a Keratin conditioner if you don't want to get it from me. Just dump it in a blender, add a lil acv and coconut oil and apply it daily.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

yorkpatties

I saw a dermatologist 2 weeks ago. She prescribed a topical steroid foam to apply to the thinning spot on the top of my head. This spot was tender and itchy for the past 3 years. I am finally seeing this spot thicken up. I am not going to bash what is working for the next woman, but please, before you waste more money on wild penguin fat oil or something else, see a dermatologist!!!