Of course I have scalp damage...

Artemis

Just by thinking back to all of those no-lye relaxers my aunt did for me as a child/young girl...Leaving that stuff on for 30 min or until it burned...Having hair plastered to my scalp from scabs...My scalp is doomed. All it does now is itch incessantly, but that's enough...In some places I am just (2006-2007) growing thicker hair (like on the temples) due to vitamins, etc.

I haven't been to the dermatologist yet, but quite frankly what is he or she going to tell me about my scalp that I don't already know? :cool: And what could possibly be the solution? My scalp itched like hell when I was natural and it itches the exact same since I started back relaxing...

Ok, I'm done :yawn:

gymfreak336

I remember those days...scalp so damaged, it weeped causing your hair to be all sticky and flat. Head just hurt to even touch. I remember having to take advil because my head hurt so bad after a touchup. I could barely sleep that night.

I got a spot in the back that I know is permanently damaged. I mean, the scalp is skin right? Its only so much it can take.

Artemis

I remember those days...scalp so damaged, it weeped causing your hair to be all sticky and flat. Head just hurt to even touch. I remember having to take advil because my head hurt so bad after a touchup. I could barely sleep that night.

I got a spot in the back that I know is permanently damaged. I mean, the scalp is skin right? Its only so much it can take.

Basically. :ohwell:

I've used I don't know how many "treatment" shampoos, and nothing :nono: I may go back to Keracare just because it worked the best so far.

Neith

I guess I'm lucky!

I've experienced scalp burns (at the hands of a stylist) and even large sections of my hair falling out BALD (nape and sides)

but it seems that my scalp has healed over time.

I WISH I took pictures when I was 18 so that others could see the change in my hair and scalp.

It took a long time... First the feeling of scalp irritation stopped, then hair started to grow very slowly... then all of a sudden the hair in those areas took off growing like weeds.

It has been about 5 years since I've gotten burned by a relaxer... my scalp and hair seem very healthy.

I think that with time and proper care, your scalp can heal! Unless it is some DEVASTATING damage (I hope not!) then after a while you can get your scalp back to 100% or close to it.

I swear by tea tree oil. I hate oiling my scalp, but I used tea tree oil in olive or jojoba oil for months straight it really helped my scalp.

I've recently seen people recommend emu oil for troubled scalps.

Good luck! :bighug:

Artemis

Thanks! I don't how I could have achieved healthy hair through such an itchy scalp, but so far so good. It's more annoying than anything. The longest I can wait to wash is 5 days. 7 is hell. But it's great for my hair, lol. And that is why I continue to use lye, I guess. It is what it is :look:

Artemis

Also, oil must be used sparingly on my scalp. My hair is easily weighed down. I have tea tree oil, but if I never apply it to my scalp, it's quite pointless :lol:

Neith

Also, oil must be used sparingly on my scalp. My hair is easily weighed down. I have tea tree oil, but if I never apply it to my scalp, it's quite pointless :lol:

I hate oils on my scalp too! My hair likes to get greasy on me... I just used it because I was kinda desperate at the time :)

Irresistible

actually my daughter had scalp issues, itchiness and bumps thats because back then mama didnt know grease was the culprit for her, as it caused me no problems, now years later, the thickened areas on her scalp and bumps and all itching are gone, using natural olive oil, and coconut oil only, if you dont want to weigh your hair down you could just do a treatment on a night before your going to wash, and tea trea oil is excellent for antiseptic purposes, I used that on her scalp too when I starting getting more hip to what was going on, it hurt her and burned a little so we would only leave it on just so long, but man did it heal her scalp, also the shealoe butter, (aloe and shea) dont give up, some things still might make a difference

didirose

Aloe is known to reduce inflammation of the skin, and is used for preventing hair loss. You can add some to your shampoo or maybe mix some with a light oil and apply it to your scalp so it can provide its cooling affect without causing frizziness on straightened relaxed hair between washes. I tend to use as gel to slick my hair back after washing or as a leave in to reduce frizziness for wash and gos.

PinkPebbles

actually my daughter had scalp issues, itchiness and bumps thats because back then mama didnt know grease was the culprit for her, as it caused me no problems, now years later, the thickened areas on her scalp and bumps and all itching are gone, using natural olive oil, and coconut oil only, if you dont want to weigh your hair down you could just do a treatment on a night before your going to wash, and tea trea oil is excellent for antiseptic purposes, I used that on her scalp too when I starting getting more hip to what was going on, it hurt her and burned a little so we would only leave it on just so long, but man did it heal her scalp, also the shealoe butter, (aloe and shea) dont give up, some things still might make a difference

True...my scalp has improved tremendously by using natural oils!

mistee11

Hi Artemis, I too have had scalp damage from some relaxers. I remember I used to let one of my girlfriends relax my hair for me and one time my neck broke out with hives! And immediately after the relaxer had been applied and neutralized and styled I would get the itchies something terrible. Even when I would get it done at some hair salons I would have issues. I started taking Benedryl just to be covered. I know that sounds crazy. I gave up relaxing for 3 years but still had intense itching and flaking when I went natural. Needless to say, I decided to relax again in January. I do have allergies and eczema and I don't think that I realized until recently, that if hydrocortisone worked on my skin in other areas why shouldn't it work on my scalp? Nothing else was working. It did! So now along with miconazole nitrate and EOs I apply 1% hydrocortisone to the affected areas of my scalp. Positive response! Less itching and flaking...sigh! Relief at last!!

P.S. you could also try Boundless Tresses. It also helps a lot with the itchies and flakiness. Just a suggestion. HTH :yep:

Casarela

maybe you should consider conditionner or shampoos that have tea tree in it and peppermint to try to soothe the itchyness

Artemis

Hi Artemis, I too have had scalp damage from some relaxers. I remember I used to let one of my girlfriends relax my hair for me and one time my neck broke out with hives! And immediately after the relaxer had been applied and neutralized and styled I would get the itchies something terrible. Even when I would get it done at some hair salons I would have issues. I started taking Benedryl just to be covered. I know that sounds crazy. I gave up relaxing for 3 years but still had intense itching and flaking when I went natural. Needless to say, I decided to relax again in January. I do have allergies and eczema and I don't think that I realized until recently, that if hydrocortisone worked on my skin in other areas why shouldn't it work on my scalp? Nothing else was working. It did! So now along with miconazole nitrate and EOs I apply 1% hydrocortisone to the affected areas of my scalp. Positive response! Less itching and flaking...sigh! Relief at last!!

P.S. you could also try Boundless Tresses. It also helps a lot with the itchies and flakiness. Just a suggestion. HTH :yep:

Let's not go there w/BT. Please :nono:

While I did get nice growth, that mess (sorry SAL!) made me burn worse on relaxer day. I mean I'd discontinue 3 wks before the relaxer, clarify, and still burn! I know it was the BT b/c I only put in certain spots on my scalp and that's where it would burn the most. *sigh*

I wasn't really asking for advice on how to resolve my scalp...I guess I was just posting, er thinking out loud, about the fact that I have an itchy scalp and that's that, lol. I'll continue to try things to see if it ever resolves itself, but at the end of the day it is what it is b/c of all the horrible relaxer experiences I had back in the day. And the fact that it's not as bad as it could be.