Is (Relaxing = Chemicals) while pregnant safe?

SilverSurfer

I can't remember but can anyone give some input on if it is ok to relax while you are pregnant? Can you do it and is it safe for the baby? Is there a certain point when you should stop relaxing like say in your third (last) trimester or should you not relax in your first trimester and wait until your last trimester?

Yup...I'm still contemplating putting a relaxer/texuralizer in my natural hair so that’s why I'm asking. Thanks

navsegda

Well, I did a quick search and found something on chemical hair dyes (it may be somewhat relevant since relaxers contain chemicals):

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/pregnancybeauty/3273.html

"Over the years, people have conducted animal studies trying to shed light on this matter. Some, but not all, studies have shown a few of the chemical compounds in hair dyes to be teratogenic (meaning they can cause birth defects). However, in many cases, the animals were exposed to extremely high doses of these chemicals, doses that far exceed the amount a woman would receive from coloring her hair every month or two. Clearly, the chemicals in both permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes are not highly toxic. However, no one knows for sure whether low-level exposures are risky.

The Organization of Teratology Information Services, which provides information on potential reproductive risks, says that although the data are limited, coloring your hair during pregnancy is probably safe. They point out that these chemicals have been around a long time and no research shows they cause defects in newborns. Plus, very little of the chemical is actually absorbed into your system."

However, if I were you, I'd go straight to my doctor and ask him or her. Better to be safe than sorry.

luvenia

I'm not a professional,but my Dr did not have a problem with me putting a relaxer on my hair during birth.. I just had a beautiful baby boy on December 12 2006. My best friend also just had a baby 10 months ago and her Dr felt it was safe enough to relax. Every Dr is different, but I would defintely talk to your Dr before putting on a relaxer to get his or her feedback. Congrats...

SilverSurfer

Thanks ladies and thanks Devine Inspiration for the links. I reviewed all the links and it looked like the opinions are split 50/50. If I am going to do it I guess just be a little on the safe side, I should wait until I am out of my first trimester.

I don't think it harms the baby though...what about the people who relax in thier first trimester without even knowing they are pregnant. I have not seen or heard of any cases with evidence of how relaxing harms the baby.

prettypuff1

i didnt relax when i was pregnant. my doc told me not too just to be safe.. I would ask my doctor just to be safe

Sha76

My dr stated to be on the safe side not to relax during the first trimester.

I relaxed about a week ago though. I don't think much harm is done. Plenty of women out there still relax during their first trimester. I think it really matter how often you relax.

as for me, I don't plan on relaxing again until the beginning of my 3rd trimester.

amwcah

I wanted to get a relaxer while I was pregnant, but my stylist always said I didn't need one. I just wore braids and twist throughout my pregnancy.

Mars_Reiko

I didn't relax when I was pregnant either. I wasn't told not to, I just wanted to be safe. I didn't care too much about my hair looking a mess then. I guess I had so much other stuff on my mind:)

Hair Peace

I did it once in my 2nd trimester and again in my third. I just had my daughter 2 weeks ago and she's perfectly healthy. Both my doctor and my stylist said it was okay, but I still only did it once a trimester just to be on the safe side.