What's the Danger in Relaxing while Pregnant?

JenJen2721

What\'s the Danger in Relaxing while Pregnant?

I'm reading a book that says women shouldn't relax their hair while pregnant. Does anyone know what the harm is? I intend on asking my dr. on my next appt., but was just wondering if anyone already knew.

TIA,
Jen

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Re: What\'s the Danger in Relaxing while Pregnant?

Um? Are you expecting my dear?

I relaxed while pregnant with both my children and they came out fine. I don't know what the dangers are. Maybe the fumes??

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)

I don't know the what exact harm is, but I think of it just like anything else...You wouldn't smoke or drink or take certain meds while pregnant, so why would you put a relaxer in your hair. It's a chemical. I know plenty of people who relax their hair while pregnant and have NO problems. But, that is one of the reasons I went natural. I have never been pregnant, but I'm 26 and have been married for 2 years, so we'll be thinking about it in the next year or 2 at least..I wouldn't want to do anything that could even remotely affect the baby negatively. That's just my opinion. Ask your doctor, though!!

JenJen2721

4 months.

leejure

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations Jen! Not sure about the relaxing. I think I read that due to hormones raging in your body that the chemicals may not "take" as well.

-lee

MizAvalon

Congrats Jen! I have heard both sides of the relaxer thing. That you shouldn't and also that it's an old wives tale and relaxing is fine. I have never personally heard of it causing any harm to a baby or pregnancy. I don't know.

ms_kenesha

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I also heard that while pregnant you may not get the results you want from the relaxer because of all the hormones.

cutebajangirl

I would think the hairdressers issues would be due to the dye. Dye has been proven to be carcinogenic. I personally still would abstain from anything not necessary and to me a relaxer is not necessary. Congrats!

Hadiyah

Congrats Jen.....
But yeah, I haven't heard in any harm while preg relaxing, just that the hormone levels can affect the outcome. No hair dyes are different like said above, also, the chemicals in the curly perms, jheri curls, and sodium thio chemicals have been known to cause miscarriages, I know a few people that it happened to, oh and also chemicals and fumes from nail products.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

Congrats girl!! I have 2 kids and I relaxed while preggo.. I even got highlights while preggo.. I think you shouldn't maybe dye your hair while preggo.. but relaxing is fine.. My mother relaxed while she was preggo with me and my sibling.. I came out fine.. my sibling didn't if you ask me..

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
Congrats girl!! I have 2 kids and I relaxed while preggo.. I even got highlights while preggo.. I think you shouldn't maybe dye your hair while preggo.. but relaxing is fine.. My mother relaxed while she was preggo with me and my sibling.. I came out fine.. my sibling didn't if you ask me..

[/ QUOTE ]
You made me bust out laughing at work, girl!! So, that's what happened to my sister, huh?!!

Divastate

There's only 2 issues I know of

1. Your hair texture can sometimes change during pregnancy so you may not get the results you want. Some people's hair becomes straighter others curlier, etc.

2. The hormones can make your skin react different and be more sensitive. I've rarely heard this happen for most people- but my Mom got 2nd degree burns from a relaxer when she was pregnant and that same relaxer typically caused her no issues.

Congrats!!! And if you are going to relax I'd definitely make sure they do some sort of spot test just to be sure you won't have any bad reactions.

Tonya

Congrats!
I heard it was because your has does not "take" as well due to the hormones.

butterfly7

Hi Hon

The only thing I've ever heard was that your hair texture may change due to hormones or that your hair may be weaker. I've also heard that it's just an old wives' tale.

I relaxed during my pregancy.

daviine

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woohoo!

I'm mad JenJen thought she was going to ask the question and not get asked any questions!

H

honey_jammz82

I have heard that the relaxer is just not supposed to be applied to the scalp because the chemicals can seep through the scalp, affecting the baby. I heard this on a talk show, I am not sure how accurate it is.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL

[ QUOTE ]
naptrl said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]
You made me bust out laughing at work, girl!! So, that's what happened to my sister, huh?!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yah, that could be what happened to her.
At least you still call her "your sister"..so, she can't be that bad.. notice how I said "sibling"..

LondonDiva

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
I have heard that the relaxer is just not supposed to be applied to the scalp because the chemicals can seep through the scalp, affecting the baby. I heard this on a talk show, I am not sure how accurate it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true, because I heard that hair colors can be traced in urine more than a week after coloring. The same should go for relaxers and other chemical processes. The skin is like a sponge and will absorb anything you put on it. That's how nicotine band aids work. (Is that what you call them in English???)

Congratulations JenJen