Is it safe to go from lye to no-lye???

Ciacia

Hi Ladies,

I will relax my hair this afternoon.
I have been relaxing my hair with lye for the last 2 years and I wanted to give a try to the ORS no lye relaxer.
Is it safe in your opinion? :ohwell:

many thanks in advance for your great help :grin:

buuuuuuuuuuuuump
i know there are a few people connected out there, can you please help
a simple yes it is safe or no it is not safe will be enough:spinning:

i've done it successfully. I was lye for mostly 10 years, then went to no lye for a year in college...and then went back to lye....

...im glad i got to experience no lye because i found out i hate it. It didn't do anything terrible to my hair, but i clearly saw the difference of the two types of relaxers while i stretch. and that's why i'm sticking with lye from now on:grin:

i've done it successfully. I was lye for mostly 10 years, then went to no lye for a year in college...and then went back to lye....

...im glad i got to experience no lye because i found out i hate it. It didn't do anything terrible to my hair, but i clearly saw the difference of the two types of relaxers while i stretch. and that's why i'm sticking with lye from now on:grin:

If you don't mind me asking. Why do/did you hate no-lye? How did it make your hair feel? If I wasn't too afraid for my hair, I would try lye for myself and see the difference:blush:

thanks for the reply poochie
as I want to stretch my relaxer for 12 weeks i think I will keep on with lye relaxers
I'm glad to see that you did not experiment damage though

This is not true for everybody, but no-lye CAN be very drying to the hair.
I used the regular ORS No-Lye for years and it eventually dried my hair out.
I don't know if I can blame the relaxer because I have not used lye for at least 10 years and before i used ORS, I was using Gentle Treatment No-Lye and my hair was fine with that.
Maybe if I had 'healthier' hair practises, the ORS would have been fine too!
( :look: This probably did not help you that much, huh :look: )

To my knowledge, you can safely switch from lye to no lye.

thanks vestaluv for your reply
and YES you helped because you shared your knowledge, greatly appreciated !!!

I relaxed my hair after 2 years in march with no-lye. It came out the right texture but soooo dry. After eight weeks I used a lye and I couldnt believe how moisturized and soft. It came out softer but not as straight as I would like. I think il try again with a stronger type-I used mild.Still confused

This is not true for everybody, but no-lye CAN be very drying to the hair.
I used the regular ORS No-Lye for years and it eventually dried my hair out.
I don't know if I can blame the relaxer because I have not used lye for at least 10 years and before i used ORS, I was using Gentle Treatment No-Lye and my hair was fine with that.
Maybe if I had 'healthier' hair practises, the ORS would have been fine too!
( :look: This probably did not help you that much, huh :look: )

To my knowledge, you can safely switch from lye to no lye.

Thanks, this was what I wanted to hear. Although, I have been no-lye for years. I would love to find out for myself the difference between no-lye and lye relaxer but I'm too scared to take the risks!:wallbash:

You can. The most important thing is for your hair to be in good condition before you relax and take care of overlapping like you usually would.

I have recently switch back to lithium no lye from being mizani lye for a while now.

If you don't mind me asking. Why do/did you hate no-lye? How did it make your hair feel? If I wasn't too afraid for my hair, I would try lye for myself and see the difference:blush:

I noticed that my hair was so much more..umm...poofy..i guess..especially duing my stretches:ohwell:. It just didn't act right. yes i did experience drying (but then again, this was during the time i didn't know how to take care of it).

thanks for the reply poochie
as I want to stretch my relaxer for 12 weeks i think I will keep on with lye relaxers
I'm glad to see that you did not experiment damage though

nope no damage at all

Back